Black Bean & Avocado Enchiladas

Okay, I have to take a little break in the Shredded Beef programming to bring you this absolutely scrumptious vegan delight!

I’ve been eating this for lunch all week and the fact that I only have one serving left almost makes me want to cry… I might have to make a second batch PRONTO. Yes, they’re that good.

What makes these enchiladas so amazing? Not only are they filled with super fresh flavors, but they’re smothered in a homemade enchilada sauce. Now, if you’ve made my homemade enchilada sauce before you know that it takes less than ten minutes to make and is 100 x better than the canned stuff. Well, this time I went one step further and added a little cocoa powder to the enchilada sauce. OMG. You won’t believe how rich and amazing the cocoa makes the sauce! It doesn’t taste like chocolate, just extra rich and good. It’s the same amazing chili/chocolate combo that works magic in the Aztec Cocoa. SO. GOOD.

Black beans give these enchiladas filling power and avocado offers that creaminess that you’d usually get from cheese. If you’re vegan, just make sure your tortillas are vegan (some use lard, some don’t). Or, try making your own!

And yes, I know that enchiladas are supposed to be wrapped in corn tortillas, not flour. Use whichever type you like. Delicious is more important than correct, in my book.

Black Bean & Avocado Enchiladas

• 1-2 whole green onions $0.08
  • ½ cup frozen corn kernels $0.26
  • handful cilantro $0.19
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • ½ tsp salt $0.03
  • 8 small tortillas (fajita size) $1.59
  1. First prepare the enchilada sauce. In a medium sauce pot combine the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder. Heat the mixture over a medium flame until it begins to bubble. Whisk and cook the bubbling paste for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the water while whisking. Add the tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk until smooth and continue to heat over a medium flame. Let the sauce come up to a gentle simmer, at which point the sauce will thicken. Once thickened, turn off the heat and set the sauce aside until you’re ready to use it.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the can of beans, then add them to a large bowl. Cube the avocado, dice the tomato, slice the green onion, and pull a handful of cilantro leaves from their stems. Add them all to the bowl, along with the frozen corn kernels. Stir everything together. Season with a little salt and garlic powder (recommended amounts above, or use fresh minced garlic).
  3. Coat an 8×8 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Warm the tortillas briefly in the microwave to make them soft and pliable. Fill each tortilla with about ⅓ cup of filling and roll tightly. Place the filled tortillas in the casserole dish, seam side down. Once all of the filled enchiladas are in the dish, pour the enchilada sauce over top.
  4. Bake the enchiladas in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until they’re heated through and the sauce is bubbly along the edges. Then devour!

Black Bean & Avocado Enchiladas

enchilada sauceStart with the amazing sauce, so that it will be ready to go on the enchiladas later. Add the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a medium sauce pot. Turn the heat on to medium and begin to whisk them together.

enchilada rouxThe mixture will form a paste and will begin to bubble along the edges. Keep whisking and cooking this paste for 1-2 minutes.

enchilada sauceWhisk in the water first, then add the tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk it all in until smooth, and continue to cook over medium until it comes up to a gentle simmer. Right when it starts simmering it will begin to thicken up. Once it’s thickened, just turn off the heat and set it aside until you’re ready to use it.

chili cococaThe magic mix! Take note, the “chili powder” used in this recipe is a mild blend of chiles and other spices. It is NOT the same as cayenne pepper. If you use 2 Tbsp of cayenne pepper, you’ll burn a hole through your mouth upon tasting it.

fillingNow on to the filling… Drain and rinse the beans, then add them to a bowl. Dice the avocado and tomato, slice the green onion, and add them all to the bowl. Pull a handful of cilantro leaves from the stems and add it to the bowl, along with the frozen corn kernels. Stir it up and then season with a little salt and garlic powder (or you can add a clove of minced, fresh garlic).

fill enchiladasI had about 3 cups of filling and 8 tortillas, so I used about 1/3 cup of filling per enchilada.

leftover fillingI had a little filling left over, but NO problem getting rid of it (it went straight into my mouth).

enchiladas in dishRoll the enchiladas tightly and then arrange them in your dish. Oh, and coat the dish with non-stick spray if you want the enchiladas to come out in one piece.

enchilada sauceThen pour that amazing sauce over top! Bake the enchiladas in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until they’re heated through and the sauce is bubbling along the sides.

Black Bean & Avocado EnchiladasIt’s sad because the pictures don’t do them justice. They’re SO GOOD.

1. Laurie says:

These were very good considering it didn’t even have any cheese! Love the sauce.

2. Mary says:

Absolutely love these enchiladas and your site!! thanks for the great ideas! Much appreciated!

3. Olivia says:

Thank you for your blog! We recently went down to one-income and I’ve been doing recipe research in order for us to remain on one-income, and I’m constantly on your blog! Your meals are cheap & ridiculously DELICIOUS! Thank you!

P.S. I’m from New Mexico and take my enchiladas very seriously; though these are not New Mexican enchiladas, this recipe is a favorite in our house. Creamy, spicy, & SOO DELICIOUS! YUMM! Thank you thank you thank you!

4. Beth this meal is amazing! My 8 year old asked if I could pack it in his lunch tomorrow! Your recipes have been a life saver for me. A year ago, for health related issues and allergies I had to transition to a plant based diet. And I LOVE all of you’re vegan recipes!!! Can’t wait to get your new cookbook!

5. Amazing. I think the sauce could use some tweaking to be a little more complex in flavor (kind of just a one-note chili flavor as is), but it didn’t bother me too much as I scarfed these bad boys down.

6. Hi Beth, I just wanted to say I really love your site. I’ve been enjoying your avocado enchiladas and mentioned you on my blog.

7. Katie says:

I have no real comment, but I wanted to rate the recipe after making it for the tenth time. It is phenomenal, and words have not yet been invented to describe how strongly I feel about the enchilada sauce.

8. Becky says:

Thank you so much we love thease. My meat eaters couldn’t get enofe.

9. Mikey says:

these are great. I add two broiled Anaheim chili’s to the filling. broil chili’s in the broiler until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. put them directly in a plastic bag and seal to steam for a few minutes. the skin of the chili’s will come off easily. cut the chili’s in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. chop and add to your filling. tonight I’m going to add a cup of cheddar cheese to help bind the filling.

10. Kristen says:

I just need to say that I love these things! I am always trying new recipes, but this is my one go-to that I could eat every single week. Even my dad and my sister, two big meat eaters who scoff at anything vegetarian/vegan, love this dish. Kudos!

11. Tara says:

My son recently developed a severe lactose intolerance and enchiladas are his favorite meal. I’ve been searching for recipes that don’t include cheese and this looks delicious. Avocado has definitely been helping him cope with the lack of cheese!

12. My family enjoyed this tonight! Thanks!
    You are so great to figure out the exact cost – very inspiring!
    Keep up the great work Beth!

13. I just made these enchiladas and boy oh boy they were amazing! At first I was skeptical because of the lack of cheese in the recipe!!! But I think the avocado makes them creamy. Highly recommended!!!!!!!

14. I’m not sure which I loved more… the filling by itself or the enchiladas. Great recipe! Loved every bite!

15. Matthew Warner says:

These enchiladas are good, but the sauce is the real magic. We use this sauce instead of your “regular” enchilada sauce recipe on the site now whenever we make enchiladas.

16. So amazing! I’ve been missing Mexican food since I moved abroad and these were perfect! Only things I changed were using olive oil instead of vegetable oil (I live in Spain and olive oil is so much cheaper) and crushed red pepper flakes instead of cayenne. Thanks so much for this – turned out wonderfully!

17. Crista says:

This recipe is definitely a keeper. I made it for the first time last night, and my boyfriend and I very much enjoyed it. In fact, I ate the leftover filling this morning for breakfast. Next time I make something that calls for enchilada sauce, I’m using this recipe. Perfecto!

18. Britni says:

This is a truly great recipe. It’s cheap AND delicious AND easy AND healthy AND in the oven in 20 minutes. Now I just need twenty more like it. Thank you!

19. Jade says:

Would olive oil and whole wheat flour be acceptable substitutes? Or would that completely ruin it?

20. 2nd time I’ve made this and my fiancé continues to rave. I’m generally the one pushing for healthier food, but it’s not always easy to find things we can both enjoy. The flavors are so deep in this sauce that it eats like unhealthy, comfort food. Win/Win!

21. Jenifer D. says:

Wow! I’ve made this recipe probably about 20 times and realized that I needed to give you major props for it!

I make this recipe a minimum of twice a month. I had to cut the salt down to 1/4 t. in the sauce, and I use fresh garlic in the filling mix and it’s just out of this world!! I also only bake it for about 15 minutes when I use corn tortillas so that it’s still a little saucy.

If I could eat only one thing for the rest of my life, this would be it! Thank you soooo much for sharing this recipe with the world!