black bean & avocado enchiladas

Okay, I have to take a little break in the Shredded Beef programming to bring you this absolutely scrumptious vegan delight!

I’ve been eating this for lunch all week and the fact that I only have one serving left almost makes me want to cry… I might have to make a second batch PRONTO. Yes, they’re that good.

What makes these enchiladas so amazing? Not only are they filled with super fresh flavors, but they’re smothered in a homemade enchilada sauce. Now, if you’ve made my homemade enchilada sauce before you know that it takes less than ten minutes to make and is 100 x better than the canned stuff. Well, this time I went one step further and added a little cocoa powder to the enchilada sauce. OMG. You won’t believe how rich and amazing the cocoa makes the sauce! It doesn’t taste like chocolate, just extra rich and good. It’s the same amazing chili/chocolate combo that works magic in the Aztec Cocoa. SO. GOOD.

Black beans give these enchiladas filling power and avocado offers that creaminess that you’d usually get from cheese. If you’re vegan, just make sure your tortillas are vegan (some use lard, some don’t). Or, try making your own!

And yes, I know that enchiladas are supposed to be wrapped in corn tortillas, not flour. Use whichever type you like. Delicious is more important than correct, in my book.

Black Bean & Avocado Enchiladas

• 1-2 whole green onions $0.08
  • ½ cup frozen corn kernels $0.26
  • handful cilantro $0.19
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • ½ tsp salt $0.03
  • 8 small tortillas (fajita size) $1.59
  1. First prepare the enchilada sauce. In a medium sauce pot combine the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder. Heat the mixture over a medium flame until it begins to bubble. Whisk and cook the bubbling paste for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the water while whisking. Add the tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk until smooth and continue to heat over a medium flame. Let the sauce come up to a gentle simmer, at which point the sauce will thicken. Once thickened, turn off the heat and set the sauce aside until you’re ready to use it.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the can of beans, then add them to a large bowl. Cube the avocado, dice the tomato, slice the green onion, and pull a handful of cilantro leaves from their stems. Add them all to the bowl, along with the frozen corn kernels. Stir everything together. Season with a little salt and garlic powder (recommended amounts above, or use fresh minced garlic).
  3. Coat an 8×8 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Warm the tortillas briefly in the microwave to make them soft and pliable. Fill each tortilla with about ⅓ cup of filling and roll tightly. Place the filled tortillas in the casserole dish, seam side down. Once all of the filled enchiladas are in the dish, pour the enchilada sauce over top.
  4. Bake the enchiladas in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until they’re heated through and the sauce is bubbly along the edges. Then devour!

Black Bean & Avocado Enchiladas

enchilada sauceStart with the amazing sauce, so that it will be ready to go on the enchiladas later. Add the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a medium sauce pot. Turn the heat on to medium and begin to whisk them together.

enchilada rouxThe mixture will form a paste and will begin to bubble along the edges. Keep whisking and cooking this paste for 1-2 minutes.

enchilada sauceWhisk in the water first, then add the tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk it all in until smooth, and continue to cook over medium until it comes up to a gentle simmer. Right when it starts simmering it will begin to thicken up. Once it’s thickened, just turn off the heat and set it aside until you’re ready to use it.

chili cococaThe magic mix! Take note, the “chili powder” used in this recipe is a mild blend of chiles and other spices. It is NOT the same as cayenne pepper. If you use 2 Tbsp of cayenne pepper, you’ll burn a hole through your mouth upon tasting it.

fillingNow on to the filling… Drain and rinse the beans, then add them to a bowl. Dice the avocado and tomato, slice the green onion, and add them all to the bowl. Pull a handful of cilantro leaves from the stems and add it to the bowl, along with the frozen corn kernels. Stir it up and then season with a little salt and garlic powder (or you can add a clove of minced, fresh garlic).

fill enchiladasI had about 3 cups of filling and 8 tortillas, so I used about 1/3 cup of filling per enchilada.

leftover fillingI had a little filling left over, but NO problem getting rid of it (it went straight into my mouth).

enchiladas in dishRoll the enchiladas tightly and then arrange them in your dish. Oh, and coat the dish with non-stick spray if you want the enchiladas to come out in one piece.

enchilada sauceThen pour that amazing sauce over top! Bake the enchiladas in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until they’re heated through and the sauce is bubbling along the sides.

Black Bean & Avocado EnchiladasIt’s sad because the pictures don’t do them justice. They’re SO GOOD.

1. shelby says:

I make your recipes on a regular occasion and I have to say this was one of our very favorites. Amazing taste combo

2. Janet says:

This may be one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten ever.

3. Rhonda says:

The only thing I will do differently is not to use chipotle chili powder in the enchilada sauce. My lips are still burning. Note to self: buy a different type of chili powder next time.

4. do you think this is something that could be made in advance a few days since the avocado is baked? like if I baked it over weekend then reheated whole dish later in the week? Thanks?

• Yep! I baked it one day and then reheated it for the next three or four days. So, I’m sure it would also work if you reheated the whole dish. But, if you’re going to reheat in the oven, just cover it so that it doesn’t get dried out the second time around.

5. Casey says:

These are KILLER good!! Thank you Beth! I’ve had them bookmarked for a while and finally made the tonight. The cocoa powder really does make the sauce taste rich and amazing, not like chocolate in the least. For those reading this comment: mine definitely had a spicy kick (which I adore), so if you’re sensitive to spicy-ness, limit the cayenne :)

6. Christopher says:

Soooo goooood! I’ve made these twice now, first time I thought I had no cayenne, so I used red pepper flakes, then found the cayenne … and added it too. So spicy, but so delicious, I made it just the same way the second time. Hot DAMN it’s good, my mouth is watering just thinking back. AND I keep forgetting to have avocado, it could only be better with that.

Thanks Beth! I love your site.

7. Alysaun says:

my 7 year old had seconds, my anorexic picky 3 yearbold ate evry morsel, and my man child boyfriend had 3 of them. I honestly usually am terrified of big chunks of avocado and tomato and made these to get over my fear and am so glad I did. will be making them again!!

8. Super tasty! Just made this last night for my boyfriend and me. I added some chicken to his and we both loved it. I got fajita tortillas, but fitting 8 in was a tiiiight squeeze. Got it to work and boy, it was tasty!

9. I made these today to be enjoyed for lunch and dinner. They’re INCREDIBLE, and since I already had most of the ingredients handy, very cheap. I didn’t have cayenne pepper, so I used crushed chili peppers. I also couldn’t find cocoa powder near me, so I melted down a square from a paprika chocolate bar I had in the fridge.

I will definitely make these again in the future. Thanks!

10. Delish and easy! My novice cook husband made these and I was so happy. Our kids ate it too and didn’t once complain about the veggies they normally don’t like. YUM!

11. Katherine says:

Oh man these were so good and so easy. I ended up using the entire 10 pack of tortillas to use up the last of the filling. And the leftovers just got better as they sat in the fridge!!

12. Crystal says:

My husband and I ate the whole pan in one sitting. I un-veganed it by crumbling queso fresco on the top–otherwise I made it exactly as written. I may never buy enchilada sauce again! So delicious! Thank you.

13. Trisha says:

So this may sound strange, but I wonder if these would taste any good replacing the tortillas with eggs? My roommates actually made enchiladas recently and they used egg instead of tortillas and when it came out of the oven it smelled so delicious! Do you know how to do that?

• That’s a really interesting idea! Do you mean like an omelette? I suppose you’d have to cook the egg in a skillet first, then fill it, roll it, and bake again. But I don’t think I’d bother baking it at that point, I’d just let it heat through in the skillet after filling and rolling. Much faster.

• Trisha says:

I think it’s more of a crepe, they just layered the toppings and egg crepe. I did find out it was some paleo recipe she had (though I think she layered the top of it with cheese haha) and just put it in the oven to warm up. I will have to give it a try and let you know the results!

14. Um, holy mackerel, these were the business. So easy and cheap to assemble, and a major hit with my 20 month old twin toddlers (they love black beans, tomatoes, and avocados, so I was pretty sure it would be a slam dunk with them), as well as with my normally carnivorous fella. Will be making again next week.

15. Jaden says:

Omg, too much salt!! We couldn’t handle the saltiness. We’re going to try cutting down the salt next time.

16. Candice says:

Wow. These were awesome! Thank you! Didn’t even miss the cheese. Love your blog!

17. I tried this, making a few adjustments, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks!

18. Marta says:

YUM!!!!

19. BecaY says:

Thanks so much for this post… I always refer back to it for the enchilada sauce. It’s so easy and so much tastier than the canned variety. Love your recipes!

20. manners says:

Holy crow these were amazing! I ended up halfing the cayenne and throwing in some black pepper because I’m a big ol’ baby with spiciness, but in the end I probably didn’t need to. What a perfect meal, thank you!

21. I’m Mexican, and have always made enchiladas from scratch the hard way. Some times it’s worth it to cook your tomatoes and chiles, make a sauce, fry your sauce, thicken your sauce etc…, but these were SO simple and SUPER delicious. I recently cut meat from my diet and these are oh so encouraging. I think I’ll make them at least weekly. My husband added feta cheese and lemon over his, and that was even better if you’re not vegan. Try them!

22. Nishone says:

My BFF emailed this recipe to me. She has made it a few times and loves it. DAMN TASTY!!! I was impressed by how simple it was to create, but even more impressed by the BIG flavor. I can’t believe I have never attempted to make enchilada sauce before. A kitchen success! Looking forward to checking out more of your recipes.

23. Heather says:

I am wondering if you could assemble these one day and then bake the next, or if you think that we need to bake it all on the first day and then reheat. I wasn’t sure with the avocados. Also, do you think that you could use the same amount of fresh corn cut from the cob (since it’s summer and it’s available)?

• I would definitely do that. You don’t have to worry about the avocados turning black because they’re wrapped up inside so no one will see and the oxidation doesn’t affect the flavor at all. Plus, oxidation only occurs when they’re exposed to air, and when they’re all mixed up with the other ingredients and wrapped tightly in the enchiladas, they don’t get that much exposure :) Ooh, and yes, fresh corn would be *awesome*.

24. Frances says:

Just made this! Covered the whole thing with a layer of shredded Mexican blend cheese, and it was delicious! And I definitely ate the leftover filling with a spoon while waiting for them to cook.

25. Cleopatra says:

Hi Beth, how’s your evening going :) I have a quick question if you don’t mind. I was planning on making this for dinner tomorrow night. We have lots of frozen corn tortillas and I was thinking about using them up. Do you think it would be a good substitute using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas? :)

26. Cleopatra says:

Oopsie! I totally skipped the part where you said enchiladas are supposed to be wrapped in corn tortillas and to use whichever type we wanted; partly coz it was almost midnight when I asked that question and I was already tired and mommy brain but corn tortillas it is! Sorry about that :)

• Oh, well I’m glad you found the answer before I had a chance to get back to you :D I hope you enjoy the enchiladas!

27. Awesome recipe, can’t wait to try this out! I like the idea of adding coco to this, reminds me of Cincinnati style chili which is amazing!

28. Jenna says:

I just made these, and they are divine! I used corn tortillas instead though. A little tip: if your corn tortillas keep breaking when you roll them, toss them in the microwave for 30 seconds! They should come out a lot more pliable! And thanks for your awesome recipes, Beth!

29. Jennifer says:

Love almost everything I’ve made from your blog, especially these. I used canned hominy instead of frozen corn, and OMG they were yummy! Thank you for so many great ideas!

30. Timi Pap says:

IF you were to recommend an enchilada sauce in a can, which brand do you guys think is best? Might not have time to make the sauce when I prepare this tmrw

• Ha, honestly, I never even used to look at the brands :P I would just pick one off the shelf! I wish I could offer some advice.

31. Amie says:

I made these for dinner tonight! I didn’t have enough fajita sized tortillas so I ended up frying up some small corn tortillas and using half of the filling for tacos and half for enchiladas. SO GOOD! I’ve never tried anything from your blog that I didn’t like. Thanks!

32. Made these for dinner tonight! My carnivorous husband cleaned the casserole dish. I wasn’t crazy about the enchilada sauce, but the filling was incredible.

33. Lindsay says:

Tried this recipe last night. Good, but the mole sauce uses way too much salt, in my opinion. I’d cut the amount to only 1/2 teaspoon at most. And *maybe* reduce the cayenne a bit too – but that’s only because I’m a wuss when it comes to spicy food! ;)

34. eleog says:

Hey Beth, this tasted great! Do you think this is freezable?

• I haven’t frozen them myself (because I ate them so quickly!) but I definitely think they would freeze good.

35. Maurine says:

These were fabulous as are all of your recipes. I have never been disappointed by budget bytes! I did not miss the meat at all and no one else did either 3 out of 4 kids loved them and my husband agreed they were delicious. Thanks!

36. Jennifer B. says:

We really enjoyed this recipe, but we enjoyed using the leftover filling to make huevos rancheros for breakfast this morning. Oh. My. Goodness. It was amazeballs. You must try it!

37. Jennifer B. says:

We really enjoyed this recipe, but we enjoyed using the leftover filling to make huevos rancheros for breakfast this morning even more. Oh. My. Goodness. It was amazeballs. You must try it!

38. Holli says:

I LOVE these enchiladas. I just have had one problem when I make them. I prefer the soft flour tortillas, but it seems like they get mushy really quick when doused in the enchilada sauce. Any ideas on how to remedy this? Maybe bake them for a little while without the sauce so they get a little crispy?

• Yes, you can definitely bake them without the sauce to crisp ‘em up and then pour the sauce on at the end :) I know it’s weird, but I LOVE how the tortillas get mushy from the sauce!

39. Josie says:

This is the first recipe from this website I trie and it was delicious – will definitely be cooking this again in future! Thanks for the photos – it made the instructions really clear.

40. Made these last night and they were amazing. My girlfriend was raving. We both love how deep the flavor was and yet healthy. Props!

41. Melissa says:

This was super tasty!! I am not a fan of avocodo but the flavor was really good. I am so looking forward to trying out more recipes.

42. Samantha says:

I’ve made these for my family on my dinner duty night about 3 times now, and they’re always a hit! The sauce is just to die for, it’s my favourite part. My adamantly carnivorous brother and father insist on meat, though, so I usually brown some ground beef with taco-y spices and add a little scoop in each before rolling. I’m 100% fine with the vegetarian version, though. Avocado and beans, sign me up!

43. Katie says:

Hello! I made these two days ago and they are FANTASTIC! Do you happen to know the nutritional or caloric breakdown?

44. Malory says:

This was amazing. Just the right amount of heat for a bite. Got a hearty approval from the husband who is usually anti-vegi. I am looking forward to make it again, thanks for another gem Beth!

45. Barbara says:

Love the sauce, love the avocado/bean combination. This is a definite keeper. I even tried freezing a couple of these (wrapped individually, with the sauce separate) and they were perfect when reheated, even the avocado. Terrific recipe.

46. Victoria says:

Oh my goodness! When my mom first introduced me to this blog, I didn’t expect much out of it in the realm of vegan options. Man was I wrong! Cannot wait to make these tomorrow evening for dinner. So much gratitude for your amazing recipes.

47. Amanda says:

I discovered this gem of a website yesterday, and after reading all the stellar reviews, decided this was going to be my first recipe- I was not disappointed! I’m a newbie vegan, and have been searching for great-tasting dishes that I can serve to my meat-eating boyfriend without him wincing and this is THE recipe for the job. I made it exactly as stated, served it over rice, and my boyfriend got Mexican blend cheese sprinkled on top of his. It was only after his second serving (I doubled the recipe to have for dinner tonight too) did I tell him the vegan secret. He was amazed and already requested it for next week!

48. Katrina says:

First, I want to tell you that I have never commented on anything on the internet but, after after trying several of your recipes, I need to say thanks and encourage you to keep going. I am getting reunited with my kitchen, healthy eating and cooking for friends and family and it feels awesome. I will be looking forward to your book.

49. ariss says:

that’s called MOLE and it’s a traditional mexican recipe, so don’t take the credit. thanks!
    and yes it is deicious

50. Cathleen says:

This is so good! I omitted the corn, doubled the avocado (because YUM!) And added cheese. Lots of cheese. Haha! But I have no doubt it’s good just the way you made it, too! I haven’t come across a recipe yet that I don’t enjoy, and as I try to incorporate more black beans into our rotation, I am loving that you use them so often!!

Looking forward to the book in 2014!!

51. Jenifer D. says:

Wow! I’ve made this recipe probably about 20 times and realized that I needed to give you major props for it!

I make this recipe a minimum of twice a month. I had to cut the salt down to 1/4 t. in the sauce, and I use fresh garlic in the filling mix and it’s just out of this world!! I also only bake it for about 15 minutes when I use corn tortillas so that it’s still a little saucy.

If I could eat only one thing for the rest of my life, this would be it! Thank you soooo much for sharing this recipe with the world!

52. 2nd time I’ve made this and my fiancé continues to rave. I’m generally the one pushing for healthier food, but it’s not always easy to find things we can both enjoy. The flavors are so deep in this sauce that it eats like unhealthy, comfort food. Win/Win!

53. Jade says:

Would olive oil and whole wheat flour be acceptable substitutes? Or would that completely ruin it?

54. Britni says:

This is a truly great recipe. It’s cheap AND delicious AND easy AND healthy AND in the oven in 20 minutes. Now I just need twenty more like it. Thank you!

55. Crista says:

This recipe is definitely a keeper. I made it for the first time last night, and my boyfriend and I very much enjoyed it. In fact, I ate the leftover filling this morning for breakfast. Next time I make something that calls for enchilada sauce, I’m using this recipe. Perfecto!

56. So amazing! I’ve been missing Mexican food since I moved abroad and these were perfect! Only things I changed were using olive oil instead of vegetable oil (I live in Spain and olive oil is so much cheaper) and crushed red pepper flakes instead of cayenne. Thanks so much for this – turned out wonderfully!

57. Matthew Warner says:

These enchiladas are good, but the sauce is the real magic. We use this sauce instead of your “regular” enchilada sauce recipe on the site now whenever we make enchiladas.

58. I’m not sure which I loved more… the filling by itself or the enchiladas. Great recipe! Loved every bite!

59. I just made these enchiladas and boy oh boy they were amazing! At first I was skeptical because of the lack of cheese in the recipe!!! But I think the avocado makes them creamy. Highly recommended!!!!!!!

60. My family enjoyed this tonight! Thanks!
    You are so great to figure out the exact cost – very inspiring!
    Keep up the great work Beth!

61. Tara says:

My son recently developed a severe lactose intolerance and enchiladas are his favorite meal. I’ve been searching for recipes that don’t include cheese and this looks delicious. Avocado has definitely been helping him cope with the lack of cheese!

62. Kristen says:

I just need to say that I love these things! I am always trying new recipes, but this is my one go-to that I could eat every single week. Even my dad and my sister, two big meat eaters who scoff at anything vegetarian/vegan, love this dish. Kudos!

63. Mikey says:

these are great. I add two broiled Anaheim chili’s to the filling. broil chili’s in the broiler until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. put them directly in a plastic bag and seal to steam for a few minutes. the skin of the chili’s will come off easily. cut the chili’s in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. chop and add to your filling. tonight I’m going to add a cup of cheddar cheese to help bind the filling.

64. Becky says:

Thank you so much we love thease. My meat eaters couldn’t get enofe.

65. Katie says:

I have no real comment, but I wanted to rate the recipe after making it for the tenth time. It is phenomenal, and words have not yet been invented to describe how strongly I feel about the enchilada sauce.

66. Hi Beth, I just wanted to say I really love your site. I’ve been enjoying your avocado enchiladas and mentioned you on my blog.

67. Amazing. I think the sauce could use some tweaking to be a little more complex in flavor (kind of just a one-note chili flavor as is), but it didn’t bother me too much as I scarfed these bad boys down.