7. These unique molasses cookies are sweet, chewy, full of warm spices, and big chunks of melty chocolate inside. FULL RECIPE BELOW 👇
Get recipe FAQs, substitutions, and a printable version here: https://www.budgetbytes.com/chocolate-gingersnaps/
1.5 cups all-purpose flour ($0.23)
1.25 tsp ground ginger ($0.12)
1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.02)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg ($0.02)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder ($0.04)
1 tsp baking powder ($0.02)
8 Tbsp butter, room temperature ($0.80)
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger ($0.30)
1/2 cup brown sugar ($0.24)
1/2 cup molasses ($1.18)
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate ($3.49)
1/4 cup granulated sugar ($0.04)
1. Add the flour, ground ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cocoa powder, and baking powder to a bowl and stir until well combined.
2. To a separate bowl, add the butter, fresh ginger, brown sugar, and molasses. Use a mixer to beat these ingredients together until light and creamy.
3. Begin adding the flour mixture into the molasses mixture, ½ cup at a time, beating at low speed, until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated.
4. Roughly chop the chocolate, then stir it into the cookie dough. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic, then refrigerate for at least one hour.
5. When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 325ºF. Place the granulated sugar in a small bowl. Divide the cookie dough into four equal-sized pieces, then divide each of the quarters into six small pieces to make 24 total cookies.
6. Roll each piece of cookie dough into a ball, then roll the dough ball in the granulated sugar to coat. Place the shaped cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 12 per baking sheet.
7. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes in the 325ºF oven, or until they're slightly cracked on top. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
0:07 Add flour, ground ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cocoa powder, and baking powder to a bowl & stir to combine
0:15 Add butter, fresh ginger, brown sugar, and molasses & mix
0:21 Add flour mixture to molasses mixture
0:26 Chop chocolate & add to cookie dough. Refridgerate
0:32 Divide dough & make 24 cookie balls
0:40 Dip cookie balls into sugar & place on cookie sheet
0:45 Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes
0:48 Serve warm & enjoy