If you missed my first post about this, I’m officially obsessed with baking my eggs in a tortilla shell. Not only do I already always have eggs and tortillas in my fridge, but you can toss in any kind of leftover vegetable, meat, or cheese that you happen to have, so it’s a great way to use up the leftovers from the week. Hello, easy and delicious weekend breakfast!
The first time I made tortilla baked eggs, I used a really simple mix of fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. And after my first bite, my head spun with all the fun flavor combos that could be used for this dish. So today I’m sharing this southwest inspired version, with green chiles, red bell pepper, cheese, green onion, and salsa. It’s soooo delicious!
What Kind of Dish to Use
You can bake your eggs in any circular oven-safe dish that has a rim. The key is to use a tortilla that is 1-2 inches larger in diameter than your baking dish so that some of the tortilla folds up the sides and holds in the filling.
I am using an 8-inch tortilla and a 7-inch dish to bake four eggs. If you use a larger tortilla and dish, you may want to add more eggs and increase the baking time.
What Else Can You Add?
This recipe is very flexible, so it’s a great way to use up odds and ends in your kitchen at the end of the week. If you want to stay with the southwest flavor theme, you can add ingredients like: black beans, chorizo, bacon, cilantro, corn, chicken, chili powder, pepper jack cheese, cotija cheese, red onion, pico de gallo, or jalapeño. The key is going to be to only add a small amount of each ingredient so the tortilla doesn’t get too full or contain too much moisture.
What to Serve with Tortilla Baked Eggs
I like to add a little sour cream after baking, but a few slices of fresh avocado would also be amazing. Add a side of fruit and breakfast is done!
Southwest Tortilla Baked Eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.09)
- 1 8" flour tortilla ($0.14)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($0.50)
- 1/4 red bell pepper ($0.28)
- 2 Tbsp diced green chiles ($0.25)
- 4 large eggs ($0.92)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp salsa ($0.13)
- 1 green onion, sliced ($0.06)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush the olive oil over the inside surface of a circular baking dish.
- Press the tortilla down into the baking dish so that the edges fold up the sides of the dish. It may help to microwave the tortilla for a few seconds first to make it more pliable.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheddar into the bottom of the tortilla. Dice the bell pepper and add it on top of the cheese along with the diced green chiles.
- Crack four eggs into the dish on top of the vegetables and cheese. Season with a pinch fo salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake the eggs for about 20 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are still a bit liquid. You can shake the dish a bit to easily see how much the eggs are set.
- After baking, spoon a couple tablespoons of salsa over the tortilla baked eggs and sprinkle the sliced green onion over top.
- Loosen the tortilla by sliding a knife around the edge between the tortilla and dish, then slide the tortilla baked eggs out of the dish and use a large knife to cut it into quarters. Serve hot and enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Southwest Tortilla Baked Eggs – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush about ½ Tbsp olive oil inside a round baking dish. The baking dish can be ceramic, metal, or glass. Choose a baking dish that is an inch or two smaller in diameter than your tortilla.
Press your tortilla down into the baking dish so that the edges fold up the sides of the dish (this holds your eggs and other ingredients in). If your tortillas are stiff, you might try microwaving the tortilla for a few seconds first to make it more pliable.
Dice about ¼ of a red bell pepper. Sprinkle ¼ cup shredded cheddar into the bottom of the tortilla, followed by the diced red bell pepper and 2 Tbsp diced green chiles (I used canned).
Crack four large eggs into the tortilla. It’s okay if the yolk breaks. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the remaining ¼ cup shredded cheddar on top of the eggs.
Baked the egg filled tortilla for about 20 minutes, or until the white are set. You can shake the dish a little to see how firm the eggs are.
Spoon about 2 Tbsp salsa over your tortilla baked eggs then sprinkle sliced green onion on top.
Run a knife around the edge of the tortilla baked eggs (between the tortilla and the baking dish) to loosen the edges, then slide it out of the dish. Use a large knife to cut it into quarters.
Serve hot and enjoy!