You guys know how I love using leftover odds and ends in my fridge to make delicious meals on the fly, right? Well these tasty little eggs baked in a tortilla shell are my newest obsession. You can toss just about any meat, vegetable, or cheese into these Tortilla Baked Eggs to come up with your own tasty creation. Sounds like a fun Saturday morning project to me!
What Kind of Baking Dish To Use
You can use any type of round, oven-safe dish that is about 1 to 2-inches deep. It should also have straight, vertical sides. Round cake pans or pie plates are a great option. As far as what size to use, you’ll want to use a dish that is one to two inches smaller in diameter than your tortilla, so the tortilla can be folded up on the sides to hold in the eggs and fillings.
What Size Tortilla Should I Use?
My tortillas were 8-inches in diameter, which was perfect for my 7-inch diameter dish. If you are using an eight or nine-inch diameter cake pan, you’ll probably want a 10-inch diameter tortilla. If you have a larger tortilla, you may want to add 1-2 more eggs than I used below.
These tortilla baked eggs are SO flexible and you can toss just about anything that you have leftover in your fridge into them, kind of like an omelette or frittata! Here are some combination ideas:
- Roasted red peppers, feta, red onion
- Chopped broccoli, cheddar
- Ham, cheddar, bell pepper
- Sun dried tomato, feta, spinach
- Mushrooms, spinach, goat cheese
- Green chiles, bell pepper, and salsa
Tortilla Baked Eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.08)
- 1 8" flour tortilla ($0.14)
- 1 cup fresh spinach ($0.16)
- 4 large eggs ($0.92)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.01)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes ($0.37)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar ($0.21)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (optional) ($0.01)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush the inside of a round, 7-inch diameter oven safe dish* with olive oil. Press the tortilla down into the dish so that the edges of the tortilla are folded up the sides of the dish (see step by step photos below).
- Roughly chop the spinach then add it to the bottom of the tortilla. Crack the four eggs into the tortilla on top of the spinach. Add a pinch of salt and pepper on top of the eggs.
- Slice the grap tomatoes in half, then sprinkle them over the eggs. Finally, top with shredded cheese.
- Bake the egg filled tortilla in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are still jammy. You can shake the dish to see if the whites still jiggle or if they are set. Baking time may vary depending on the size of your tortilla and number of eggs used.
- Remove the tortilla baked eggs from the oven and slide them out of the dish. Slice into four pieces, then serve!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Tortilla Baked Eggs – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush about 1/2 Tbsp olive oil on the inside of a round, 7-inch diameter oven safe dish.
Press an 8-inch flour tortilla down into the dish so that the edges of the tortilla are folded up the sides of the dish.
Roughly chop one cup of fresh spinach and place it inside the tortilla.
Crack four large eggs onto the spinach and season with a small pinch of salt and pepper.
Top with a handful of grape tomatoes (sliced in half) and a little shredded cheddar (about ¼ cup).
Bake the egg-filled tortilla in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are still jammy. You can shake the dish to see if the whites still jiggle or if they are set. Baking time may vary depending on the size of your tortilla and the number of eggs used. I also finished off my eggs with a pinch of crushed red pepper, but that’s optional!
Slide the tortilla out of the dish and onto a plate or cutting board. Slice into four pieces, then serve!