Sweet and tangy Mayo Ketchup may be the perfect dipping sauce you’ve never heard of. This zesty blend of mayonnaise and ketchup is traditionally a dip for Tostones and other Puerto Rican delicacies. (Don’t you dare put fried food on a Puerto Rican table without Mayo Ketchup, homie!) But it’s also fabulous used as a sandwich spread, a salad dressing, or a marinade. Did I mention this mayo Ketchup recipe is ridiculously easy to make?
What Is Mayo Ketchup?
A staple of the Puerto Rican table, Mayo Ketchup is also a popular condiment in many different countries, where it can be known as fry sauce, salsa rosada, or pink sauce. The combination of mayonnaise and ketchup creates a rich and creamy dressing with slightly honeyed and tart notes. The two ingredients complement each other perfectly, creating a sauce that is surprisingly flavorful and versatile, like Snoop Dog and Martha Stewart.
Ingredients For Mayo Ketchup
You can now find this delicious concoction at many supermarkets, but making your own is much cheaper. Plus, you can doctor it up with a few extra ingredients to make it your own. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of adobo seasoning for depth and grate a fresh garlic clove to add pungency. Here’s what you’ll need to make a basic Mayo Ketchup:
- Mayonnaise: adds richness and body to the sauce. Feel free to use vegan mayo here, if you’re plant-based.
- Ketchup: provides sweetness and acidity. It also gives the sauce its signature salmon pink color.
- Hot Sauce: adds a spicy kick. Use your favorite brand. Hot pepper brine is also fantastic. In a pinch, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
What TO PAIR With It
Mayo Ketchup is a perfect dip for anything fried, and Tostones are an uber-traditional pairing. You can also try it with Air Fryer Fried Chicken, Oven Baked Steak Fries, and Baked Zucchini Fries. PS I love it as a spread on Tomato Sandwiches(stand down, traditionalists!) or a Smash Burger.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise ($0.40)
- 2 Tbsp ketchup ($0.10)
- 1 tsp hot sauce ($0.14)
- Add mayonnaise, ketchup, and hot sauce to a small bowl.
- Mix ingredients until no white streaks remain. Use right away or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 30 days.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make Mayo Ketchup – Step by Step Photos
To a small bowl add 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons ketchup, and 1 teaspoon hot sauce.
Mix ingredients until thoroughly combined and no white streaks remain. Use right away or refrigerate in an airtight for up to 30 days. Serve with your favorite crispy fried or oven-baked foods. Tostones are my favorite but the possibilities are endless!