If you know me, you know that I’m obsessed with cornbread. It’s one of those super simple recipes that only takes a few minutes to whip up, uses only pantry staples, goes with just about anything, and can have just about anything added to it. Today I made a batch of cornbread and stuffed it chock-full of fresh jalapeños, cheddar cheese, and fresh grape tomatoes. This Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread was not only beautiful, it was absolutely scrumptious. The fresh tomatoes added a pop of bright flavor and juicy goodness that made the cornbread just the right amount of extraordinary.
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Just How Spicy is This Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread?
I know many of you will wonder just how spicy this cornbread is, seeing as it contains two entire jalapeños. I do have a rather high tolerance for spicy food, but did not find this to be on the extremely spicy side. I’d give it maybe a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Just keep in mind that my 4 may be your 8. ;)
Want a classic cornbread recipe? Try my Easy Homemade Cornbread.
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- 2 jalapeños ($0.36)
- 1.5 cups cheddar, shredded ($1.31)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes ($1.25)
- 1 cup cornmeal ($0.21)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ($0.15)
- 2 Tbsp sugar ($0.10)
- 4 tsp baking powder ($0.24)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1 cup milk ($0.31)
- 1 large egg ($0.27)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil ($0.16)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Shred the cheddar cheese, if not purchased pre-shredded. Slice one of the jalapeños length-wise, scrape out the seeds, then dice into 1/4-inch pieces. Slice the second jalapeño into rounds, leaving the seeds intact. Slice the grape tomatoes in half.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Stir until they are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and cooking oil.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until a lumpy batter forms and no more dry flour remains on the bottom of the bowl. Do not over stir.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and the diced jalapeños to the batter and gently fold until they are incorporated. Prepare a 8x8" casserole dish, a 9" pie plate, or a 10" cast-iron skillet by coating with non-stick spray or a smear of butter. Pour the batter into the dish. Sprinkle the tomato halves, the sliced jalapeño, and the remaining shredded cheddar over the top.
- Bake the cornbread for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the center is puffed up and the cheese on top is deep golden brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then slice into 8 pieces and serve.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Prepare the add-ins for the bread so that they’re ready to go as soon as the batter is mixed. Shred 1.5 cups cheddar cheese. Slice 1 cup cherry tomatoes in half. Slice one of two jalapeños in half, scrape out the seeds, then dice into 1/4-inch pieces. Slice the second jalapeño, leaving the seeds intact.
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, 4 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir until the dry ingredients are well combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, 1 large egg, and 1/4 cup cooking oil. Pour this bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until they are combined and no dry flour remains on the bottom of the bowl. It’s okay if the batter is slightly lumpy. It’s more important to not over stir.
Add about 1 cup of the shredded cheddar and the diced jalapeño to the batter and gently fold them together until incorporated.
Prepare an 8×8″ casserole dish, 9″ pie plate, or a 10″ cast iron skillet with non-stick spray or a smear of butter. Pour the batter into the prepared dish, then sprinkle the tomato halves, sliced jalapeño, and remaining 1/2 cup cheddar over top.
Bake the cornbread for 18-20 minutes, or until the center has puffed up and the cheese is a deep golden brown. Let the cornbread sit for about 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces and serving.
Hey there. ;)