I’ve been off the steel-cut oats bandwagon for a while because I’ve been addicted to my little breakfast egg quesadillas. But this week I got a hankering for the almighty oats. I didn’t realize how I missed their chewy goodness until now! Anyway, these steel-cut oats are packed with warm spices, sweet raisins, crunchy almonds, and super creamy coconut milk for an absolutely warm and comforting bowl.
Spiced Coconut Steel-Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel-cut oats ($0.70)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.05)
- 1 tsp cinnamon ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract ($0.15)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar ($0.12)
- 1/2 cup raisins ($0.31)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds ($0.56)
- 1 cup light coconut milk ($0.71)
- In a medium pot bring 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt to a boil. Once it reaches a rolling boil, add 1 cup of steel-cut oats. Reduce the heat to medium/low and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is to your desired thickness.
- As the mixture simmers, add the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, vanilla extract and brown sugar.
- Once the oats are finished cooking, divide it up into four servings and top each with 2 Tbsp of raisins, 1 Tbsp of sliced almonds and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Dig in!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
NOTE: As with all of my oats, I divide them into resealable containers and keep them in the refrigerator. Then, in the morning, all I have to do is grab one and microwave it for a minute or so and I have a super hearty breakfast ready to go!