I used to hate chicken wings. But, OMG, I think I’m officially a convert. These crispy, oven-baked honey mustard wings are so seriously delicious that I’ve craved them every day since I first made them. The simple oven baking technique delivers a surprisingly crispy skin without having to brave hot deep fryer grease, and my basic Honey Mustard Sauce makes an incredible glaze. You just have to try them.
Yes, Baked Wings CAN be Crispy
If you fear deep frying, like me, then you’re going to love these baked wings. The trick to getting a nice crispy skin on chicken wings in the oven is the light coating of cornstarch. The cornstarch absorbs some of the fat from the skin as it melts and bakes to an incredibly crispy crunch. It’s just SO EASY and there’s no chance of accidentally burning your face off with splashing grease. ;)
Serve Immediately for Best Results
Kind of like their fried counterpart, these baked honey mustard chicken wings are best when they’re served right after they come out of the oven. If you do need to wait a bit before serving, don’t toss them in the honey mustard sauce until just before serving. The longer the sauce sits on the chicken, the softer the skin will become. For that reason, this recipe is not a great candidate for leftovers.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Wings
My Honey Mustard Sauce is great for dipping vegetables as well as chicken wings, so I made a little extra so I could serve some broccoli florets along with the wings. You could also do some celery and carrot sticks for more variety. A little bit of classic Creamy Coleslaw would also be a nice side, as would a Classic Three Bean Salad, or Loaded Smashed Potatoes.
Honey Mustard Wings
Baked Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs. chicken wings or drumettes ($6.97)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch ($0.09)
Honey Mustard Sauce*
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise ($0.40)
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard ($0.05)
- 1/2 Tbsp yellow mustard ($0.04)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Honey ($0.18)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar ($0.01)
- 1/16 tsp garlic powder ($0.01)
- 1/16 tsp paprika ($0.01)
- 1/16 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.01)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, then place two wire cooling racks over top to elevate the chicken wings.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pat the chicken wings dry, then add them to a bowl with the cornstarch mixture, and stir until the chicken wings are coated.
- Place the cornstarch coated wings on the prepared baking sheet (on the wire racks). Bake in the oven for 50 minutes, give or take 5 minutes depending on the size of the wings, or until they are light golden brown and the skin is crispy.
- While the wings are baking, make the honey mustard sauce. Stir together the mayonnaise, Dijon, yellow mustard, honey, vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- When the chicken wings are finished baking, place them in a clean bowl and pour the honey mustard sauce over top. Stir until the wings are coated. Serve immediately.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Honey Mustard Wings – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, then place two wire cooling racks on top (this holds the chicken above the surface of the baking sheet). In a small bowl, stir together 3 Tbsp cornstarch, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and ¼ tsp garlic powder.
Pat dry 2 lbs. chicken wings or drumettes, or both, with paper towel.
Place the chicken wings in a large bowl, then pour the cornstarch mixture over top. Stir the wings until they are lightly and evenly coated in cornstarch.
Place the chicken wings on the prepared baking sheet, spaced out so they are not touching.
Bake the chicken wings in the preheated 400ºF oven for 50 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy (they will not get deeply browned). Total baking time will vary depending on the size of your wings.
While the wings are baking, prepare the honey mustard sauce. In a bowl combine ¼ cup mayonnaise, ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard, ½ Tbsp yellow mustard, 1.5 Tbsp honey, ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/16 tsp garlic powder, 1/16 tsp paprika, 1/16 salt, and ⅛ tsp pepper. This is enough honey mustard to coat the wings. If you want extra for dipping, double the sauce.
Place the baked wings in a clean bowl and pour the honey mustard sauce over top.
Toss the wings until they are coated in the honey mustard sauce and then serve immediately!