Curried Chickpeas with Spinach

When I finished cooking this recipe I took a look at my notepad to make sure I had written down all the ingredients. I looked it over a good three or four times thinking that I had surely forgotten something. The list was just too short. How did I just make so much yum with so few ingredients?!

That’s how food should be. Uncomplicated, fast, and super tasty. I couldn’t stop sneaking spoonfuls of this dish as I photographed it—it was just that flavorful. The simple tomato sauce is kicked up a few notches with curry powder (hot or mild, your choice) and would probably be good poured over just about any veggies. I like this combo of spinach and chickpeas because it’s filling, very nutritious, and just down right pretty.

I used fresh spinach because I bought a HUGE 2.5 lb. bag of fresh spinach the other day and now I’m committed to using it all (ha!), but you can sub frozen spinach to fit your budget. Just add 8 oz. of frozen spinach to the skillet in place of the fresh and sauté until thawed and warmed through, then proceed with the recipe as usual. I also used a very large can of chickpeas, but if that’s not available in your area, just use two regular 15-oz. sized cans. Not a fan of chickpeas? Lentils would also be great here!

I served my curried chickpeas with spinach over rice, but it would also be awesome with some naan to soak up the sauce instead. NOM.

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach

Serves: 4 (1 cup each)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • 1 small onion $0.47
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.16
  • 1 inch fresh ginger $0.16
  • 1½ Tbsp curry powder $0.45
  • 8 oz spinach (fresh or frozen) $1.36
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce $0.59
  • 1 (29 oz.) can chickpeas $1.89
  1. Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger on a small holed cheese grater. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in a large skillet with the olive oil over medium heat until the onions have softened (3-5 minutes).
  2. Add the curry powder and continue to sauté with the onion mixture for one minute more. Add about ¼ cup of water and to the skillet along with the fresh spinach and continue to sauté until the spinach has wilted. The water will help steam and wilt the spinach (no water needed if using frozen spinach).
  3. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add them to the skillet along with the tomato sauce. Stir well to distribute the spices in the sauce and heat through (5 minutes). Serve over rice or with bread.

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach

Step by Step Photos

Onion Garlic Ginger

Start by dicing one onion and mincing two cloves of garlic. I used a small cheese grater to grate one inch of fresh ginger (or you can mince it). I usually use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin from the ginger before grating it. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in a large skillet with olive oil until they are soft (about 5 minutes).

Curry Powder

Add 1.5 Tbsp of curry powder and continue to sauté the mixture. I used hot curry powder, but mild will also work well.

Curry Onions

Continuing to sauté after adding the spices will toast them just slightly and increase their flavor.

Wilt Spinach

Next add a little water to the skillet (about 1/4 cup) and 8 oz. of fresh spinach. It will likely fill up the skillet, so stir carefully until it wilts down. Most fresh spinach is sold in either an 8 or 16 oz. bag, so use the label to help you estimate 8 oz. The water will help steam and wilt the spinach. If you’re using frozen spinach, you don’t need to add any water, just warm it through in the skillet.

Tomato Sauce

Add a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce. If you don’t have tomato sauce in your area, strained tomatoes or tomato purée is a good substitute (although you may need to add a little salt at the end).

Chickepeas

Add a large 29 oz. (or 1 lb. 13 oz.) can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed). If you can’t find one of these large cans, two 15 oz. cans will do the trick.

Warm Through

Then just stir it all together well and let it warm through. How easy is that? I say “Pshhhhftfttfft.” to all boxed skillet meals.

Curried Chick Peas with Spinach

1. Jamie says:

So great!! Relatively cheap, so easy to make and delicious! I added some more curry powder but kept everything else and served it over jasmine rice. Thank you!!!

2. Moira says:

Could you use ginger powder instead of fresh ginger? Love your site…thanks for the recipes!!!

• Ginger powder has a surprisingly different flavor than fresh ginger, but I still think it would be good in there. Try a half teaspoon or so, then add more if you feel like it needs it.

3. Tara says:

I love you. Will you marry me?

LOL, in all seriousness, I love your site. I’ve made 6 or 7 recipes now, with only 1 that I did care for. This made for a super easy, healthy, and delicious dinner :). Thank you!

4. Bryan says:

I have made this a few times now. I end up using a can of diced tomatoes instead of sauce, this leaves the meal very runny. So this time I took out all the solids after the cooking was done and reduced liquids in the pan. The Holy grail might have been found.

5. Emma says:

I’m pretty sure I found this recipe, and therefore this blog, from a post on Imgur. I’ve made it two times and it is absolutely DELICIOUS! I’m really not a fan of spinach nor chickpeas, really, but something about the way it is cooked makes it taste so good.

The first time I made it, I screwed up and made it way too spicy. However, after a bit of sugar, it was somewhat bearable. The second time, it was perfect – this time I made some naans from your recipe with it, oh my god, so good.
    And, regarding this, it tastes (if possible) 50% better in the days after, cold over some rice. By the third day I had it for lunch, it started to taste a bit funny, but that’s pretty understandable.

My friends also agree that it tastes great, too ;)

6. Sarah says:

YUM! This was so delicious and SO hearty mixed into a bowl of freshly steamed rice. With filling, cheap recipes like this, my student loans will be gone in no time!

7. Chantily says:

Hi Beth! Thanks for posting this very easy to make and cheap recipe. I just made this and it was a breeze to make. I had to add in more curry powder at the end because it wasn’t as seasoned as I wanted it to be. I also used organic chopped ginger in a jar since I didn’t want to go through the hassle of skinning and grating ginger.

8. I just tried this recipe and it turned out delicious.

9. Hi Beth,

I am very new to eating healthy. For me it’s always been strictly tuna/chicken for protein, any veggies I could get my hands on, and supplements (B complex) for everything I missed. That was so bland. I got so tired of granola, raisins, chicken and steamed veggies. This recipe, this website, I appreciate it. I did this recipe tonight, and I enjoyed it. Dishes like this make it easier to make the decision I’ve been teetering on: vegetarianism. Although I won’t give up the occasional barbecue, I don’t intend on eating any meat. THANK YOU. Now if I could just get some tips on how to make stopping smoking easier, you’d be an angel! Much love, and I look forward to further exploring your site.

Adios!

10. Elly says:

Hi! This recipe was great and cheap! Great for people who are just starting to learn how to cook. So much flavour. Thank you so much!

11. Heather says:

I tried this tonight with kale instead of spinach, worked just the same! It’s so tasty!

12. Sofia says:

Hi Beth,
    I’ve just recently discovered your blog with this recipe, love the concept and the page is very pretty as well.
    I’m doing Erasmus and it’s my first time away from home. I used to cook some things before (just basic things) and watched A LOT of cooking shows, but I’m only now starting to get more adventurous in the kitchen and trying diferent recipes and ideas.
    When I saw this recipe and how simple and cheap it was I jumped right in to it. Cooked it today and let me just say: “OOOHH LORD!!”. It’s one of the tastiest dishes I’ve ever cooked! I ate it with some basmati rice and it was amazing.
    I’m gonna follow the blog from now on and try as much of your recipes as I can. Thank you so much!

13. Hi Beth,
    I just started making one of your recipes each night and I made this one 2 nights ago. Being a tomato based curry, my husband and son were just so-so about it (we live in Okinawa and Japanese curry is usually a brown sauce). I enjoyed it very much and saved the rest for leftovers. Two days later I am eating this for lunch and OH MY how the flavors have melded. This is one of those dishes that gets even more flavorful with a day or two to come together. I have one more serving in the fridge that I will be enjoying for lunch again tomorrow. Thank you for the wonderful recipes and I love your blog!!

14. Hanna says:

I made this today with regular curry and frozen spinach. I don’t think we have hot curry powder around here so I need to think of ways to add a little more flavour to this dish. I’m giving it 3 stars which – considering I don’t really like chickpeas or spinach – is a lot & I will be making this again. Thank you so much for your recipes Beth, I like to cook vegetarian food on the cheap and your site has given me a lot of ideas… definitely hoping for even more vegetarian/vegan recipes!

15. So…I think I got this wrong. I bought fresh spinach and added it all, including the stems?

this is what came of it: http://i.imgur.com/IuXm0B0.jpg

The stems aren’t soft. I feel like it’s one of these things that go unsaid because they’re obvious but I should’ve just used just the spinach leaves..right?

• Ah yes. I think the difference is between baby spinach (which has small leaves and tender stems) and mature spinach (very large leaves and fibrous stems). Mature spinach probably needs the stems removed first. Sorry about that!

16. Laura says:

This was my first budget bytes recipe and I am hooked: it was super easy to make and so delicious!!!

17. Teagan says:

This was definite hit! Tasty and easy. I added a bit more curry powder, and a bit of onion powder, since I only had a small onion. In the future I could imagine adding more veggies, for some variety.

18. Andy says:

Love it. Super quick and easy. I use curry paste (generally easier to find) and throw in some frozen peas and corn at the end. Makes a lovely colourful dish, and it’s super filling and cheap

19. Loved this!! Just made it. I have five kids and they loved it too! Will be making it often, and trying it with lentils too! We had it over brown rice. Very filling!

20. Niki says:

I made this recipe last Sunday adding more spinach and served it over a bed of jasmine rice. This recipe had the greatest flavor, I’m a curry fanatic. I took the leftovers to work for lunch and my co-workers were at my desk to find out what was causing such a delicious aroma. To add a hint of spice the next time I prepare this I’ll add a scotch bonnet.

I recently stumbled upon your website and have been very impressed.

Thanks,
    Niki

21. Ellen says:

Beth – long time reader, first time commenter. Love the site and SNAP challenge. I made this tonight at 9:30 so the boyfriend and I could have something different for lunch. I was done before 10 pm! Thank you for the quick and tasty meal. The only change I made was I added some cayenne as I didn’t have hot curry and a can of tomato paste with 2 cups of water instead of the sauce. SO good. Thank you!

22. Jeri Ann says:

This is a great freeze and reheat recipe perfect for work lunches. However, I do feel that the hot curry powder makes a huge difference. I’ve made this with hot and regular curry…with the hot it is amazing, with the regular it is OK. And, the hot curry really isn’t that hot, just more flavorful.

23. Kaylen says:

This wasn’t really my thing. I used powdered ginger, so maybe it would be better with freshly grated ginger. I think I just don’t like the taste of the curry powder with the tomato. I added sesame seed oil, which made it a little better. I might try again with some sriracha, because I appreciate how filling it is.

24. Marthalynn says:

I have a bulk container of dry chickpeas and I would LOVE to know how to use them to make this recipe! Do I just need to soak them overnight and they’ll be ready to go or is it more involved than that?

• I actually just did that the other day! I used a slow cooker to cook the chickpeas, then added them to the recipe just as if they’re canned. Any left over cooked chickpeas can be frozen, too. To cook in a slow cooker, I just added 1 lb. dry, unsoaked peas to the slow cooker with 6 cups of water and cooked on high for about 5-6 hours.

• Albert says:

Soak the dried chickpeas in cold water over night. In the morning, rinse them in cold water, return them to the pot, add water and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

25. Danielle says:

THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING! I’m a graduate student, living on a limited income and I absolutely LOVE this. I added a little parsley and Sriracha for a some extra spice, but these curried chickpeas are great as is. It’s a hearty meal that’s packed with protein, vitamins, and flavor. I’ll definitely make this again and freeze it for the coming winter months.

26. This was really good and possibly the easiest thing I have ever cooked. I basically live off of your recipes now, thanks for the ideas!

27. Amber says:

I really love this recipe. I’ve made it do many times that I barely have to look st the ingredients. I do add more curry powder (more like 2 tablespoons) and it is amazing. Keep up the great work!

28. This was so easy and cheap and also delicious! I have curry powder but all the curry recipes I have used separate ingredients, so I didn’t really know how to use it, but I should have learned a long time ago!

29. Hayley says:

This is so good! I made it today for the first time and it was super easy and delicious. The only alteration I made was to use only 8 oz of tomato sauce and reduce it considerably in the skillet. I’m eating this as a stand-alone, without rice or bread, so I didn’t want it to be too runny. It worked well.

30. Made this once. Now I get cravings for it. Even my meat loving fiance asks for it.

31. Alicia says:

I tried this recipe last night, everyone loved it! It is so healthy and simple. Thank you.

32. abraham says:

This been real good. Me did make a few substitutes. Instead of the olive oil me use bacon grease, sausage balls instead of chickpeas, pig feets for the onions (me been mallergic to onions they been making me eyes cry), and cheddar cheese instead of the spinaches. And just use salt for the spices. It turned out real nice. Me eat it for breakfast every morning. It been healthy and filling.

33. Emily says:

My husband and I love this recipe! We like to add a little plain yogurt too!

34. Cameron says:

I ended up using about 2 Tblsp of curry powder- I tested it near the end and wanted to amp up the flavor just a little bit more. I also used a frozen package of spinach that was 10oz rather than 8, but hey! Extra spinach never hurt anyone.

All in all, a super easy and delicious meal! This one kept me feeling full for hours and made plenty of leftovers too. And the best part, this took about a total of 20 minutes to make. I love it.

35. This curried was so flavorful and delicious. It was also so easy to make..Keep the great recipes coming.!! Love your recipes and the readily available ingredients used in them…Nothing complicated or fussy. lol

36. Jessica says:

I made this for lunch today with a few alterations. Instead of using olive oil to saute the onions, garlic and ginger I used coconut oil. I only had about 6oz of spinach, so that was what I used along with adding 2 tablespoons of coconut butter as well as an extra 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar because I used a little too much tomato sauce and wanted to balance the acidity. Due to the alterations, I’ll be serving this over your coconut rice to keep with the flavor. But again, another fantastic meal has been made in my kitchen thanks to your recipes!

37. Colleen says:

I love Indian flavors, and this is such an easy (and inexpensive!) way to get my “fix” without ordering takeout. Equally delicious over basmati as over naan, it’s now a go-to weeknight dinner.

38. I’ve made this recipe many times since my boyfriend discovered it. We both love it so much. I, a little more, because it’s such an easy meal to throw together during the week! We enjoy eating vegetarian a few times per week. This meal is filling, fits our budget and is just so delicious. I’ve been craving it, so I headed to the store this morning for the ingredients. Lots of left overs for the boyfriend to take to work during the week too! Can’t wait for dinner!

39. I fried off the spices first, then added the onion and garlic it infuses the flavour a touch more.

40. I’ve tried a lot of Budget Bytes recipes, and this might be my favorite. Perfect weeknight meal, with lots of leftovers for lunches!

41. Holly says:

I googled “curried chickpeas” and came across your site. This was delicious! I didn’t have fresh ginger so subbed ginger powder. I also used chickpeas that I cooked myself. Yum. Now I’m looking through your site, planning what to make next. :)

42. Troy L says:

Great recipe! I did two packed cups of fresh spinach, stems and all (and definitely not afraid to more as we like cooked fresh spinach).. I also added 1 tablespoon of extra hot chili powder that I got at the Indian grocery store.. We like things spicy! This is not the common chili powder but is simply ground chili peppers, pure and simple… Great ‘base’ recipe that is good as is or easily spiced up..

43. I made this recipe yesterday and I couldn’t wait to have more today :) sooooo yummy! Love your blog! Can’t wait to try more recipes! XOXO

• I forgot that I also added a little cumin to boost the flavor a little bit…. if you feel like its something is missing, try it out!

44. Paige says:

This was GREAT!! I made mine with quinoa and it cost pretty much what you said. It was $9.24 and I got 6 meals out of it ($1.54 each). Thank you SO MUCH!

45. Caity says:

Just made this for lunch. I manage to take 10x longer than I should with pretty much every task in the kitchen, but this still managed to come together within about half an hour. Really good, super easy, tons of leftovers — this one is definitely going in my regular rotation.

46. Scott says:

I made this for dinner tonight. It was so easy and really delicious. It came out just like the picture. Will definitely be making this again!

47. Made this tonight and it was so tasty. I didn’t have any spinach in the house so I used frozen kale and let it cook longer to soften it a bit more.
    Paired this with some leftover rice I had from your “golden rice bowl” recipe. Nice combo.
    Also made your naan recipe, wow! Simple and delectable!
    Loved that I had all the ingredients in house, except for an onion I borrowed from my neighbor. ;-)
    Thanks again!

48. Cookie says:

I have tried something similar to this and added a can of pumpkin. Sneak another veggie in there! The one I had made froze so well.

49. Great recipe, I broke a golden rule and cooked this for the first time for some friends (1 pregnant and gluten-intolerant and 1 lactose intolerant). They were skeptical but loved it after trying it. I added several garlic cloves and needed to add more ginger and of course Siracha. I’ve been talking about this recipe to many others who are all equally pumped about making it.

P.S. have you ever tried the squeeze tubes of garlic/basil/ginger/cilantro before? how about the frozen cubes version? a little more expensive but definitely time saving and I find a good price every now and then.

• My local store was out of ginger the last time I went, so I bought some in the tube. I use it in my smoothie packs (gives them a nice bite and helps settle my stomach). It’s not quite as potent and I was a little disappointed to discover that it also had salt in it. Luckily it wasn’t enough salt to throw off the flavor of the smoothie, so I don’t have to waste it. I still prefer fresh, though.

50. Erin says:

Would this be good with chicken? Also, what can I use to make it spicier? I’m a flight attendant on a budget and I’m obsessed with your recipes!!! I can’t get enough! Thank you!

• Yeah, you can definitely add some chicken in there :) If you want it hotter, just add some cayenne pepper. Cayenne is like the heat dial. Add more or less to meet your heat needs. :)

51. This was awesome! I used arugula instead of spinach just because. Thanks!

52. Rachel DeJonge says:

Easy and delicious meal. I added a few extra spices-coriander, tumeric, and a tiny bit of cinnamon. I used hot curry powder and the spice level was perfect.

53. Michelle says:

That. Was. DELICIOUS! I can’t believe how easy it was; I almost always have these ingredients in the house. I made your naan recipe too and together it was the PERFECT post-workout meal!

54. Alicia says:

I made a few adjustments: I used a primavera sauce instead of tomato sauce. I served it with a saffron rosotto, Greek yogurt and hot naan. I eliminated the cumin and ginger and replaced it with Italian seasoning and red pepper. Delicious!!! Thank you for the lovely recipie.

55. Julie says:

Delicious! Goes great with Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce (I need to find a hotter curry). This will be added to my recipe rotation for sure!

56. Annie says:

Worked out beautifully!! Served with cilantro brown rice…yum!!

57. Beth,

I’ve been a reader of your website (and a cooker of your recipes) for about a year now. I’ve had so many great successes with your recipes, this one included! I love how most of your recipes are simple and easy to follow but turn out delicious! I added some coconut milk to this recipe and it turned out AMAZING! I will certainly be making this again! And I can’t wait for the book!

58. Karrie says:

I’m sure you get this all the time, but I appreciate your blog so much! I love to try new recipes, and yours have always been such a success. I’ve been recommending your blog to everyone I know!

59. This looks delicious!

60. Elle says:

Would powdered ginger from the spice rack be ok to substitute for the fresh ginger? And if so, how much would you suggest using?

• Well, they do taste quite different, but it will still be good. I would probably use 1/4-1/2 tsp. Start small and add more if you feel like it can handle it.

61. I have never really gotten into curry and wasn’t even sure if I liked it. I saw the picture on the site and decided to make it, based on never being led astray before. It was really great and super easy, awesome one pan dish.

62. Tiffany M says:

I really didn’t want to try this recipe all that much, but my husband was really interested. I’m so glad we tried it, it was amazing! One of the best meals. I added some fresh lime juice on top my second serving, really added to the already delicious flavor profile.

63. melissa says:

Did you use red curry or curry powder?

64. Audrey says:

Pretty good! I should invest in some special curry seasoning, as regular curry powder is kind of dull to me. I also think this could benefit from some red pepper flakes. I added corn. To the person who suggested this needed cheese I’d recommend adding some sort of creamer a la the chana saag recipe.

65. NorBee says:

Just made this, but used Bon Appetit’s version — you use whole peeled tomatoes instead. I think the whole tomatoes work better instead of the tomato sauce.

66. bskittles says:

Delicious! I omitted the ginger but added cumin and salt and it was a hit! Served it with naan bread and white rice :) thanks for the recipe <3

67. Cléo says:

I upped the garlic and ginger a bit (personal taste), and also added a big spoonful of peanut butter at the end, because I wanted a little extra creaminess to offset this cold night… That peanut butter touch worked wonders, perhaps an alternative for those of your readers who were thinking cheese !

68. Jaci says:

Made this last night. I loved how quick and easy it was. I actually had all the ingredients on hand. I used a can of diced tomatoes with spicy green chilies instead of the tomato sauce and they added a nice kick. I served it over roasted garlic and olive oil couscous and it was super yummy. I think I’ll be making a giant batch of this over Christmas when my family is in town. Thanks for another great vegetarian recipe!

69. Made this tonight with two subs: boneless pork loin for the chickpeas and green beans for the spinach. Just added some salt at the table and was a hit with all home tonight! Will make as vegetarian over the holidays when our son is home from college. Thanks for all the great recipes!
    mom of one in college, 2nd to start in a year

70. I made this for dinner tonight, and both my husband and I loved it. I used coconut oil instead of olive oil and added 2 tsp of cumin. Will definitely make again.

71. sunny dae says:

Another successful meal from this website! Thank you for providing cheap meals, my husband and I loved this and I diced up some pork chops and mixed them in so that the hubby could have a little meat in his meal!

• sunny dae says:

forgot to mention that I used jamaican curry and added some red curry paste to the mix!

72. Emily says:

This was great!! Very easy, quick and inexpensive — a wonderful weeknight meal. I upped some of the measurements — 3 cloves of garlic, a full 2 tablespoons of curry, extra ginger. Also added salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and a some fish sauce for a little umami flavor. Yum!

73. For a second I thought you had a Spanish recipe up. I had something very similar in Spain. If you switch out the ginger and curry for some smoked Spanish paprika, a little cumin and saffron but leave everything else the same It could be a way to change it up if you wanted. :)

I will have to give your recipe a try. I love trying different flavors.

74. Patrick says:

A previous poster commented on cheese – you could probably add fried paneer (indian farmer cheese, easy to make at home) to this recipe to good effect. Homemade paneer is not difficult, you just need milk, lemon juice, fine cheesecloth, a pot, and something heavy.

Also, have your considered making your own curries? Bulk whole spices are very affordable at Indian Groceries and last a long time – add a mortar and pestle and you can have custom curries in minutes.

75. I’m definitely going to make this one soon! I just discovered three cans of chickpeas in my cupboard and thought…well, either it’s time to make hummus or find a new recipe!

76. Sarah Jane says:

So tasty! I added some cumin as well– super duper tasty! Planning to serve it over some homemade naan and your yellow rice recipe :D You are a lifesaver!

77. anne says:

Would this freeze well?

78. Mike says:

How would Green Lentils work in this recipe (the only kind I can buy around here), and if they would work well, how much should I use in place of the chickpeas?

• Green lentils would probably be good, you’ll just need to cook them separately before adding them to the skillet with the spinach and sauce. I’d say cook one cup of dry lentils to replace the beans.

• Mike says:

It was pretty good with green lentils! Though I think one cup of dry was a tad too much, it made it all far too thick in the end, I would’ve liked a bit more ‘sauciness’. I also had to add a touch more curry powder towards the end since the flavor was kind of bland at first, that might’ve been due to all the lentils or it might’ve been the cheap-o brand curry powder which was all I could find.

Still, it turned out to be really good, and easy to make!

79. Domino says:

Thanks so much for this recipe! I just made it for myself and my boyfriend, and it was 100% perfect, except my boyfriend suggested it would be even better with some sort of cheese. I know that’s not very authentically Indian, but what do you think — could that be good? And if so, what kind of cheese would go with this? Maybe feta?

• Hmmm… I don’t know if I’d like cheese with this, but maybe something mild and creamy to offset the spices? Like maybe a simple mozzarella? Or, if you want to go more authentic, try to find some paneer. It’s a fresh cheese similar to ricotta, but it’s pressed so you can cut it into cubes and stir it in.

• Rhi S says:

Paneer is an Indian cheese that is used in a lot of recipes; it might not be as cheap as the rest of the ingredients here but I could imagine it would make a good addition.

80. Hooray for beans & greens! This is exactly the kind of food I like to eat best: simple, delicious, cheap, and tasty, Win win win win!

81. alison says:

i don’t like ginger so i replaced it by a little more curry powder and some shallot : delicious !

thanks for your recipes, i’ve tried 4 different and never disappointed !

(i hope i didn’t make mistake in my comment, it was a long time i haven’t written in english)

82. Moto says:

Bye the way I discovered your web site about a week ago and I’m officially obsessed with your recipes

83. Moto says:

Why not sautee the chickpeas for a bit before adding the spinach? Brown them a little bit ant bring out the flavor?

• Great idea! :) (I was a little afraid that I wouldn’t be able to fit the spinach with the chickpeas in there, though. It’s so BIG before it wilts down! Using a big pot would make it work.)

84. This sounds awesome. I’ll be making it this week. I love curried lentils and this is very similar!

85. mandy says:

wow. this seems so simple. why hadn’t i thought of this one! great quick veg dish that even meat eating hubby will like if i serve over rice!!! <3

86. This is perfect! I have been looking for something that I can make and serve pippin’ hot to beat the cold.

87. susanne says:

this looks so delicious! i love the addition of fresh ginger to kick the flavors up a notch. excellent way to use garbanzos made in the slow cooker, if you’re like me and find you have a bottomless pot.

88. Looks great I’ve been wanting to make something like this for a few days now and I think this will hit the spot nicely, thanks!