Southwest Breakfast Scramble

Ahhh, it’s everything I love in one place: eggs, salsa, cheese, chips, and cilantro. Oh, and black beans, too! Just feed me this every day for the rest of my life and I’ll be straight.

This super quick Southwest Breakfast Scramble is reminiscent of migas because of the tortilla strips, but I just ended up adding all the things that I like best. It’s really delicious and hearty… and who really cares if you eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? I know I’ll be bringing it to work with me tomorrow for lunch.

I’ll be using the microwave to reheat my leftovers. Sure, it will change the texture a bit (the eggs will get more firm and the tortilla strips more soft), but that’s just how leftovers go. It’s never quite the same, but still delicious!

P.S. If you’re not into cilantro, use some sliced green onion instead. They don’t taste similar at all, but it’s nice to have something green and fresh on top for contrast.

Southwest Breakfast Scramble

southwest breakfast scramble

• 6 large eggs $1.35
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.15
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans $1.19
  • 2-3 cups tortilla strips $0.63
  • 1 cup salsa $0.99
  • 1 cup shredded cheese $1.20
  • handful fresh cilantro $0.17
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Drain the black beans and rinse them briefly with water. Let them drain while you prepare the rest. Crack six eggs into a large bowl and lightly whisk them. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
  2. Once the butter is melted, pour the eggs into the skillet. Let them cook slowly over medium-low heat. As the bottom layer begins to set, use a spatula to drag the outside edges in towards the center, allowing the uncooked egg to run back into the empty space. Continue to gently move the eggs around in the skillet in this manner until they are about 75% set. The eggs will continue to cook as you add other ingredients, so you do not want to over cook them at this step. Season the eggs with salt and pepper if desired.
  3. Add the drained beans and 2-3 cups of tortilla strips to the skillet. Gently fold them into the eggs, breaking the tortilla strips into smaller pieces as you go. Spoon one cup of salsa over top of the egg mixture and then sprinkle one cup of shredded cheese over top.
  4. Place a lid on the skillet and turn the heat up to medium. Allow the skillet to heat for five minutes, or until mostly heated through. While the skillet is heating, pull the cilantro leaves from the stems and give them a rough chop. Remove the lid and gently fold the ingredients in the skillet, so that the cheese gets a little mixed in and melts slightly. Sprinkle the cilantro over top and serve hot.

Southwest Breakfast Scramble

rinse beansRinse the beans first, so that they’re ready to go when you need them. The cooking process is quick and if you get delayed the eggs may become over cooked.

whisk eggsLightly whisk six eggs.

cook eggsMelt two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, pour in the eggs. Cook the eggs slowly over medium-low heat, gently moving them around the pan only when the bottom layer begins to set. Never briskly stir the eggs while they cook because this will create small, dry pieces rather than large, moist folds of egg.

set eggsOnly cook the eggs until they are about 75% set. They should still be moist, but in large pieces. They will continue to cook as you add the rest of the ingredients.

tortilla stripsI like these Mission tortilla strips for this recipe because they’re thick and can hold up to the moisture in the scramble. Plus, they’re usually a bit less expensive than regular tortilla chips. I used somewhere between 2-3 cups. They’re kind of hard to measure.

fold beans tortillasAdd the beans and tortilla strips to the egg, and gently fold them in. Break up the tortilla strips into smaller pieces as you fold.

salsa cheeseSpoon the salsa over top and then cover with cheese.

cover cookPlace a lid on the skillet to hold in the heat, turn the heat up to medium, and let it cook for five minutes, or until it is mostly heated through.

foldAfter it heats, gently fold the mixture a little bit more to incorporate the cheese and let it get in contact with some hot parts, so that it will melt. Sorry, this picture has a bad case of the blurs.

cilantroTop with fresh cilantro or green onion, if you prefer! Eat!

Southwest Breakfast ScrambleOh. My.

Southwest Breakfast ScrambleTaking pictures was hard because I couldn’t wait to dig in…

Southwest Breakfast ScrambleOh, yes ma’am.

1. Naomi says:

Im looking to try something new. Im pregnant and am getting tired of cooking the same dishes over and over and over again. I plan on making this as a dinner dish instead of breakfast, kinda like breakfast for dinner.. Well anyways, i am wondering and just want to make sure, were the beans precooked in the can? Ive made beans before with my rice but separate pots and have had to boil with other ingredients and water so they can become soft… Leaving them for 5 minutes with the eggs will cook them to be soft?
    I think I’m over thinking this lol. PLEASE help i don’t want to mess this recipe up since I’m looking sooooo forward to making a new dish!

• Hi Naomi,

Sorry it took me so long to respond – I was on vacation. :) Yes, the beans are pre-cooked canned beans. Five minutes would definitely not be enough for dry beans. I hope you enjoy it!

2. This is such a versatile and amazing recipe. I probably make it at least once a month. It’s a great Sunday treat! It’s also a great way to get rid of the small amounts of cheese you have left over in various bags of shredded cheese in your fridge :-)

I didn’t have any salsa this morning so I substituted a can of diced tomatoes for it. I drained quite a bit of the liquid by holding the lid in as I poured it out. I was afraid there was going to be a huge loss of flavor, but while it did taste different than the original recipe it was still extremely tasty, and the consistency was still perfect!

Also, I don’t think the added salt is necessary – the chips, tomatoes (or salsa), beans, and cheese have plenty :-)

3. carla says:

I was wondering what the calories or fat intake is on this receipe??

4. Melissa P says:

I absolutely loved this, I served it on top of your naan recipe. OMG. SO good and SOOOOOO filling. =)

I have not met a recipe of yours that we haven’t liked. Thank you for making such great recipes. We are a family of 8 with my niece and nephew I took in, and my sister as well. Budget is important.

5. Dove Dunham says:

This is almost identical to a dish I recently discovered called “Migas”. I first saw it on the pioneer woman’s web site and later looked up a few videos on youtube. It’s basically mexican scrambled eggs with corn tortillas. Very delicious.

6. Meredith says:

After making this for a 3rd time, I decided it was finally time to leave a comment. This is my go-to recipe for the weekends. Today I added a can of ranch beans and avocado because I had them on hand and needed to use them for something but even without them the recipe is great. I’m looking forward to the cookbook!

7. Dawn says:

I just discovered this three weeks ago and have made it twice! The second time, I had leftover queso, so I stirred that in, rather than using shredded cheese. It was delicious! Thank you!

8. Just made this and it turned out great. Easy to make for Saturday morning breakfast and I always have these items on hand. Next time I will try some of the suggestions of adding in avocado’s and such.

9. Melissa says:

We made this for dinner tonight. I used a salsa verde because that’s what we prefer and I topped with some chopped avocado. I was hoping to serve the leftovers for dinner tomorrow but my husband’s seconds made that impossible. This is such a simple dish that I wasn’t expecting it to be that tastey but it was SO good that my husband commented that we could serve it if we had guests for dinner. I served it with some fruit (watermelon, kiwi & blueberries). Thanks for another great recipe, Beth! I come to your site when I need an idea for dinner and you haven’t failed to provide a winner each time.

10. I finally got around to blogging about making this for brunch in May. So tasty! Thanks for another winner!! Linking back:

11. I just stumbled upon your blog for the first time today, and am so glad I did! I am always looking for healthier recipes, and that’s not always easy on a tight budget! I love anything Mexican, so I can’t wait to try this. Thanks! :-)

12. Another winner. I loved the tortilla chips in there. Might throw some avocado on top next time!

13. Beth, the new site looks fantastic! I’m glad the transition is finally over for you.

This recipe (and tamale pie) is my new favorite. So easy to make and to adapt– I subbed diced tomato for the salsa to make it a little more upset-tummy-friendly for my sick hubby, and it was still delicious! Leftovers were yum as well :)

• So… I made this a second time and used ripped up kraft singles bc I was out of shredded cheese. I don’t know if it was the density or if I messed up something else, but it came out soggy and looking a little too much like cat food. Bummer :/

• All-Purpose Guru says:

Kraft Singles aren’t cheese. (Pasteurized Process Cheese Food, which is what Kraft Singles *really* are, is mostly flour, milk, and carrot juice for color.)

Don’t skimp on the cheese. Use Mozzarella or other low-fat, low calorie cheese if you want to cut calories, but Kraft Singles don’t work in cooking.

14. My mom rarely cooked eggs for breakfast, except in weekend’s breakfast casserole. So the only scrambled egg I knew was my Grandma’s, who cooked them into med & kinda large, semi-dry balls (sorta). I loved scrambled eggs this way, especially topped with TexMex ingredients. The first time I tried eggs cooked the “proper” way, I was fighting gag reflex!

But since becoming an adult, especially after the internet, I’ve learned her way of making eggs isn’t the majority’s preferred way, and since DH prefers his the “proper” way, I’ve learned to make and tolerate properly scrambled eggs. But when I’m alone, I’ll scramble up my semi-dry balls of eggs, and enjoy the bigger ones the most.

15. I made this tonight for my family and everyone really enjoyed it. It was both quick and easy, so I’m really happy with that. Definitely something I’ll be making again!

16. I went to a Whole Foods class last week and the woman made tofu scramble: she basically just crumbled up soft tofu (not sure of the exact name or brand) in place of eggs. I wonder if that would work here. (I’m not a vegetarian but have a lot of veggie friends.)

• It probably would because there are so many other ingredients bringing flavor to the dish. The one thing you have to worry about with tofu is adding enough flavor because it doesn’t really taste like anything on its own. But with all of that salsa and cheese going on, I think it would be good!

17. Carolina says:

Hi Beth!
    I love your new site! SO much easier to browse around and pin recipes. Also, I love how you can see the each step on a picture, it makes a big difference for people who are still learning how to cook. Congrats on the site again.

18. Lindsey Q says: