sriracha hummus

$2.37 recipe / $0.47

I never really understood why people say that chocolate is better than sex. Chocolate? Chocolate?! No ma’am. If any food is even going to come close, it’s gonna be this sriracha hummus.

Okay, so maybe I’m just not a chocolate person.

Anyway, I don’t know why I hadn’t put two and two together before or why no one has told me to try this, but sriracha + hummus = heaven. Add an egg, stuff it into a pita, and you’ve got the best damn breakfast sandwich on the planet.

The end.

Sriracha Hummus

Sriracha Hummus

sriracha hummus

• 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas $1.29
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil $0.28
  • ¼ cup lemon juice $0.22
  • ¼ cup tahini $0.81
  • 1 clove garlic $0.08
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cumin $0.02
  • approx. 2 Tbsp sriracha $0.24
  1. Drain the chickpeas and add to a food processor along with the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic (whole is fine), salt, and cumin. Process until smooth, adding water or more olive oil as needed. I usually add ¼ – ½ cup water, but you can olive oil for a creamier hummus.
  2. Start with 1 Tbsp of sriracha and add more to your liking. I like it hot so I added about 2 Tbsp.

For the original plain hummus recipe and three other flavors, check out the original post.

I also can’t wait to try it on my grilled vegetable and hummus pizza!

Sriracha Hummus

1. That looks fantastic! I love anything with sriracha. I like to mix hummus with rice and red beans. I will def mix all three using using your hummus recipe. MMmmmmm.

2. Ohhhh crap. That’s what I thought when I read this. My mouth is already watering.

And I AM SO GLAD TO FINALLY FIND SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T CRAVE CHOCOLATE. Sriracha hummus is near godliness imho, whereas chocolate hardly gets a glance from me. I also like Hot Cheetos (sorry, unrelated).

• Jeanean says:

I’m not alone! I have never understood the obsession with chocolate. Give me chips and cheesy poofs over chocolate any day.

3. My husband (who is a sriracha addict) will adore this!

Mal @ The Chic Geek

4. Greatest dip recipe idea of all time? It might be, as this sounds so unbelievably good. I will for sure have to try adding sriracha next time I make a batch of homemade hummus.

5. Is there anything I can substitute the tahini with? I would LOVE to make this, but no where near us sells tahini.

• schaubkr says:

I’ve heard of peanut butter being substituted, but if that’s too strong, I would suggest almond butter since it is milder.

I had a hard time finding tahini at first too. But, it turns out I had been looking in the wrong section. At my local groacery store, Kroger, tahini can be found in the natural/organic section.

Good luck!

• Olga says:

You can easily make tahini at home. In a food processor, combine sesame seeds + olive oil + salt. Done. Super simple, and much cheaper than ready-made from the store.

6. This comment has been removed by the author.

7. Beth:

Sriracha hummus and popcorn is actually my favorite snack. Yes, you heard me right — hummus and popcorn. People always snicker when they think of dipping popcorn into hummus … until they try it. The crunch of the popcorn combined with the silky texture and spicy flavor profile of the hummus is to die for! Plus, it’s healthy (I, too, substitute either reserved chickpea juice or water for some of the olive oil), it’s delicious, and it will fill you up. I urge you to give it a try; I have the feeling Sriracha hummus and popcorn might become your favorite snack, too.

8. Aviva G. says:

I have a similar recipe but instead of sriracha a blend the hummus with one pepper (and a tbsp of adobo) from the can of chipotle peppers in adobo – Deelish!

Also, instead of adding water to my hummus, I reserve some of the chikpea juice from the can and add that in as needed for added smoothness without diluting the chikpea flavor.

9. I love Sriracha, can’t wait to eat this!

10. Sherrie says:

Made it. Delicious! Dipped popcorn in it too… surprisingly delicious and filling. Definitely making this again.

11. You had me at sriracha …

As always will have to try this recipe too. Did you know that when someone asks for a good food site, yours is the first one I send them to? YOU are my “Foodie Guru”.

I’m not a chocolate person either and I always think to my self, if you think chocolate is better than sex, you’re doing it wrong! LMBO

Kay Johnson
    andtheniateit.com

12. Melanie says:

Nice pics! I love the contrast of blue with the red tones.

13. I need to make this for my boyfriend. I’m not a huge hummus fan, but he likes it, and loves sriracha!

14. @ Sherrie – glad you tried the Sriracha hummus/popcorn combo and liked it!

ElizabethMD try makng your own.

16. Oh yes please!

17. Natalie says:

Beth- How long can I keep this hummus in my fridge?

18. Natalie – about 5-7 days :)

19. This looks delicious!! I’m totally making it this week.

And while I don’t particularly love chocolate, one of my favorite snacks is nutella and sriracha on toast. I’m being completely serious.

20. Tahini can be purchased through Amazon.com .. I got some dried garbanzo beans and tahini from them. Reasonable prices.

I always make sriracha hearts on top of my food, too! Love this :)

22. Beth, you are such an inspiration.. today I made hummus with cucumber and pureed it all together and then stirred in some finely chopped cucumber. GOOD! Also made a batch with jalapeno stuffed green olives and added a bit of wasabe paste. OMG! That is becomeing my lunch or dinner with a bunch of veggies to dip!

Made this tonight and LOVE it! Thank you for the recipe!

24. I’ve made this a few times now and most recently I replaced the chick peas with white beans which have no fat. You really can’t taste the difference! My boyfriend loves it too.

25. Looks really yummy!Thank you for the recipe!

26. This was amazing! I love hummus and sriracha and in this case the sum is greater than the parts. My only issue was a crappy lemon that was all rind and very little juice, so next time I’ll keep an extra lemon on standby.

To ElizabethMD Jewelry: if you can’t find tahini you can easily make it yourself. Homemade tahini is tastier and much cheaper to make than store-bought. It consists of sesame seeds and olive oil….that’s it. I wish I could give you exact measurements, but I can’t. I spread about a 1/4 inch layer of sesame seeds on a small cookie sheet and toast them until they are golden and shiny (about 7-8 minutes). Then I pop them in the food processor and blend in olive oil until it’s the consistency of a loose peanut butter.

27. Amandie says:

OMG, this stuff is delicious. It reminds me so much of roasted red pepper hummus except it’s yummier and cheaper, haha! I was trying to add some more protein to my late snack so I’d get more full so I added a heaping spoonful of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt into my approx. 2 tbsp hummus. Very delicious! I imagine you could get the same flavor with sour cream if you didn’t have greek yogurt on hand and it makes it really creamier too. I am definitely going to make some sort of x layer dip with my new combination, this blows refried beans outta the water, seriously.

28. Best. Dip. EVER.
    That is all. :)

Thank you for the recipe. I just made this and it is awesome! :)

30. This was freakin’ AHMAZING!

Wow, this looks awesome! I really like your site by the way. It is really rare that you find a recipe blog where you literally want to try EVERY recipe. Thanks so much!

Mary Ellen

32. do you ever use dried chickpeas?

33. Liz – I keep saying that I’ll cook up some dry garbanzos, since I cook most of my other beans from dry, but have yet to do so. I’m sure it would taste much better (more fresh tasting), although it might need a little more salt.

34. Well….maybe a Christmas present for youself ?theoatmeal.com/quiz/sriracha_addict

35. I love hummus and sriracha alot. I could add it to literally anything but never thought about combining them together. this is certainly being bookmarked :)

36. Made this tonight for a beer and games night and it was a big hit! And I ended up using more the 2 tblspoons of sriracha and it wasn’t too spicy for my friends! I love your blog, thank you!

37. This is awesome! However, being a new Sriracha fan, I apparently bought a non-spicy version. I used it anyway and the hummus was amazing, just not spicy. Great recipe that I have made twice now (in the same week). I’m looking forward to trying many more of your recipes. Thank you!!

38. Wenda says:

I’ve kept quiet, but really, this is AMAZING. I’m thinking up a hundred different excuses to eat it, totally stuffing myself! Many thanks from one of your usually silent followers. :)

39. Russell says:

Quick and cheap (minus the tahini) and tasty. Discovered my food processor died once i had all my ingredients in its bowl, so I moved everything to my blender and success. I don’t know if it is supposed to be implied in the directions, but I blended in the sriracha after initially blending the step 1 ingredients together for a bit.

40. Lovely Recipe you have shared.. thanks for sharing.. Made the similar recipe of “Hummus” try to visit my place when time permits .. Recipes Passion love to have your feedback; just visiting..
    Happy blogging have a good day.. dear :)

41. Beth A says:

I just made this recipe last night and it is fantastic! I used the full 2 Tblsp sriracha and it was perfect :)

Thanks so much for sharing this. I have been looking for new vegetarian recipes and I am excited to try some more from this site :)