hearty black bean quesadillas

$6.61 recipe / $0.66 each

Words. Cannot. Describe. …how insanely good these are!! This is my new favorite recipe, hands down. Hands down.

So, most people go to Whole Foods to explore their beautiful produce, organic meat, and other…well, whole foods. But me? I’m drawn to the junk food and convenience food. I think it’s because the selection is so interesting and I feel a lot less guilty eating it. Plus the flavors of their “junk food” are much more aligned with my palate than regular junk food. Anyway, last week I stopped by to stock up on grains and stuff from the bulk aisle and I grabbed a couple frozen quesadillas for a quick splurge dinner. While they were totally delicious, I knew that I could make them better and for far less money. And I did.

I love these quesadillas for three reasons: 1) they’re bursting with flavor 2) they’re SO EASY to make and 3) they’re perfect for the freezer! Students and other busy people take note: this recipe is perfect for you!

I called them “hearty” black bean quesadillas because they are surprisingly filling. I hastily ate two and then promptly felt like my belly was going to explode. This is one of those vegetarian recipes that meat eaters won’t feel deprived eating. Promise.

Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas

Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas

hearty black bean quesadillas

Serves: 10ea
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans** $0.56
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels $0.48
  • ½ small red onion $0.44
  • 1 clove garlic $0.08
  • ¼ bunch fresh cilantro $0.21
  • 2 cups shredded cheese $2.50
  • 1 batch taco seasoning $0.34
  • 10 taco sized tortillas $2.00
  1. Drain the can of beans and rinse lightly. Place the beans in a large bowl along with the corn (no need to thaw).
  2. Rinse the cilantro, remove the leaves, and chop roughly. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, and shredded cheese to the bowl with the beans and corn. Lastly, mix up a batch of taco seasoning and add to the bowl. Stir everything until evenly mixed.
  3. Place a half cup of the filling on one side of each tortilla and fold over. Cook in a skillet on both sides over medium heat until brown and crispy and the cheesy filling has melted.
  4. To freeze the quesadillas, simply fill each one and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for one hour to solidify the quesadillas and then transfer to a freezer bag. To reheat either microwave (for a soft quesadilla) or cook in a skillet on low heat (make sure to use low heat so that the filling has time to thaw and melt before the outside burns).
Notes
**I used black beans that I cooked from dry in my slow cooker using this method. It’s easy, requires almost no effort, and is about ⅓ the cost of a can of beans.

taco chicken bowls

Bean QuesadillasThis was my inspiration. They really were delicious, but at $3.99 for a box of two, I knew I could do better!

beans and cornStart with the beans and corn. No need to even thaw the corn. Drain the can of beans (or homemade) and rinse just slightly. It’s good to have some of the starchy bean goo in there because it will help the filling stick together.

chop veggiesNext chop the veggies. I used half a red onion, one clove of garlic, and about a quarter bunch of cilantro. These quantities do not need to be set in stone, adjust as needed for what you have on hand or what you taste preference dictates. Make sure to rinse the cilantro, it tends to be sandy.

choppedAdd the chopped veggies to the bowl.

cheeseAdd the shredded cheese to the bowl as well. The cheese kind of acts like a glue for the filling once it’s melted.

taco seasoningAdd the taco seasoning. I suggest using corn starch in the taco seasoning blend because you will have a lot of rogue juice coming out of the corn and onion as the quesadillas heat. The corn starch will help keep everything in place and prevent sogginess.

stirStir until everything is evenly coated. The starchy black bean “goo” helps coat everything nicely.

fill tortillasNow it’s time to stuff the quesadillas. Place a half cup of filling in each tortilla and fold it over. You can either cook them or freeze them at this point.

cook quesadillaTo cook them, place the quesadilla in a skillet over medium heat and cook on both sides until golden brown, crispy, and the filling has melted. If you’re not using a non-stick skillet, you may need some oil to keep it from sticking.

freezeTo freeze, place them on a baking sheet covered in parchment and then freeze for one hour or until solid. Then, transfer to an air-tight freezer bag. Don’t forget to transfer them into the bag or else they’ll dry out! If you don’t think you’ll eat them up in a month or two, I’d suggest wrapping each one in an extra layer of plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn and drying out. Personally, I know mine won’t last that long ;)

black bean quesadillasI usually use a pizza cutter to slice my quesadillas into wedges. Nom nom nom!

I make a very, very similar quesadilla recipe with beans and corn and it’s hands down one of my favorite meals to make. Easy and delicious! I use my favorite medium-hot salsa however in the filling, instead of taco seasoning. That way it’s all in the same place and I can control the spice a bit better.

• These look fantastic. Any ideas for a replacement to the corn? My other half is alergic to it!

• I think I would do a bell pepper. It will give it that nice crunch and sweetness. Just cut it small. :) (red would be best, but green is good if red is too expensive)

2. Yum! This is like all my favourite things put inside a quesadilla. Looks delicious!

3. you have parsley in your ingredients list but you mention cilantro in the instructions. since it’s mexican/southwestern i assume you meant cilantro but just thought i’d let you know :) i’ll be making these tonight for lunches through the week!

4. Woops! I sure did mean cilantro! Thanks Rachael! ;)

5. Kathy says:

Looks delicious, definitely will try soon! FYI, your ingredient list says “parsley” and I believe it should say “cilantro”. Just thought you’d want to know – your blog is my favorite!

6. Oh that looks insanely delicious!

7. I just made these for my mom and I. They were amazing!

8. What do you think would be the best way to reheat these?

9. Joy – you can either microwave them (which will give you a soft quesadilla) or cook them in a skillet over low heat so that the inside has time to melt before the outside burns. Or, you can probably even do a combination of both! Thaw in the microwave and then finish off in the skillet to make them crispy… although I haven’t tried that method yet :)

10. Here’s a suggestion. When I make quesadillas for one, I use my George Foreman grill to quickly grill both sides. I find it quicker than a skillet. I think that would work great with the frozen quesadillas as well.

11. Quick question – you say use ‘batch’ of your taco seasoning. I have my own seasoning I’ve been making for years. it’s very similar to yours except mine has flour instead of corn starch. I’m pretty partial to my own.

Anyway, could you translate ‘batch’ to a size? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? Please. Thanks.

Also, would you recommend cooking before freezing or freezing and then cooking?

FYI: I bought one of those boxes at WF today just for comparison. This recipe looks really appealing. I can’t wait to try it.

12. Joe – one batch of the taco seasoning is about 2 Tablespoons. I’d recommend freezing and then cooking so that they don’t overcook during reheating. I hope that helps!

13. When freezing, do you cook them first then freeze or freeze them uncooked?

14. These look delicious! Can’t wait to try them out.

I was trying to pin this page to Pinterest, but it wouldn’t capture any photos except for your “about me” photo. It’s beautiful, but I’d really like to showcase your beautiful photography and the food in my pins. Do you know what’s up with this?

15. Stephanie – people hace just started to tell me about the pinterst problem. It’s most likely a coding issue that I can’t fix so I started building Budget Bytes pinboards this weekend so that people can just repon from my boards. I’ll announce it as soon as they’re done. In the meantime, if you download the pin button for the browser toolbar, it works that way. I should have the boards complete this week!

16. Just made these. Fabulous and easy! I’m particularly challenged in the kitchen and I find your recipes so easy to follow. Thanks for another success in the kitchen.

@ Belle, What a great idea and another excuse for me to go buy a George Forman grill! Thank you! @ Beth awesome idea! I will be making these soon.

18. I made these last night. Yummy! :)

19. Made these for lunch yesterday for 6 of us! And they were ALL gone!

20. This black bean quesadillas look absolutely delicious. Thanks for the great step by step walkthrough.

21. Lol, I just found the option for a name and URL.

Super excited to try this out! I always want to pack a lunch for my boyfriend because if I don’t, he’ll end up doing fast food so I’m excited to have back up in the freezer for us!

22. This. Was. Awesome.

I didn’t have red onion, so I used onion powder. Didn’t have fresh cilantro either, so I used dried. Both were good substitutes, because the end product was sooo tasty! Loved the crispy tortillas.
    I actually thought the directions meant to mix the taco seasoning with water (I didn’t look at the photos you posted!) as per the package directions, but it wasn’t too watery at all.

Great, easy recipe!

I’ll definitely add this to the “meatless Monday” recipes :)

23. Sarah says:

I love you. — Just started following your blog. Made your English muffins (UHMAAAYZING) and can’t wait to try your breads and THIS! Thanks for reminding me that making my own food is cheap as dirt.

24. We made this tonight at a quesadilla themed potluck…great because most people were vegetarian!

25. I made these last night and they were so good! I usually do a fajita-style quesadilla, so this was a nice change. We made spanish rice to go along with it- so yummy! Thanks for the recipe :)

OMG…this is amazing. Just made it for lunch. You are AMAZING. Please keep the posts coming girl!!!

27. Made these last night – had to HIDE one so I could have it for lunch today. YUM – thanks for these!

These things were awesome. I was actually going to put rice in mine too, but I ended up forgetting. I still have some of the mixture left over in the fridge, planning on making some more tomorrow for lunch.

My boyfriend and I love this website. We’re both recent college grads with entry level jobs so we try to eat as cheaply as possible. That meant alot of fast food until I found this site. We made these last night and they were amazing. Instead of shredded cheese I used Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup which held the filling together really well. We have 6 left overs in the freezer so that’s at least another dinner and a snack for him!

30. These look delicious. They’ll be perfect for a quick dinner in Meatless March!

super easy and super delicious! thanks!

Just finished eating these for dinner, they were so delicious and really easy to make. What a genius idea of freezing them, I can’t believe I never thought of that before.

I left out the garlic because I didn’t have any. I also didn’t have any corn, so used can of tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel) instead. I used an entire package of shredded cheese, because the bag said it contained about 2 cups, but it seemed like way too much cheese. Next time I’ll actually measure out 2 cups or use a bit less. I used your taco seasoning recipe, and it was amazing. I’m never using those packets again! Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

I made these and they are fantastic! I used my leftover filling as omelette filling and it made a KILLER Mexican omelette!

34. These were so quick to throw together and so delicious! My husband and I enjoyed them immensely and we’re both looking forward to the leftovers for lunch this week. Thank you!!

Made these last night for my husband and I, we loved them. Next time I will double the recipe so I can have more leftover to freeze! I also used your taco seasoning recipe and added a pinch of garlic and onion powder. It was way better than the store bought stuff.

36. I made this tonight and they were great! One mistake I made is letting too much of the taco seasoning settle at the bottom so a few quesadillas were quite powerful! make sure you stir well :)

Our Growing Garden

37. These were delicious and easy!!! Made for dinner because one person in our house is vegetarian but honestly I enjoyed them just as much as the non meateater! Very good, will definately make again!

38. I made these last night (minus the onion because I’m not a fan). I love ‘em! I grabbed one cold today (I have an infant and was sitting for another) and they were even good that way!

These were really good! And thanks for the cornstarch tip–my quesadillas are always runny but this seems to have solved the problem.

I loved these! great recipe. I made your pico recipe and threw that on top of them with sour cream and it was great!

41. Melissa says:

I made these last week and they are FANTASTIC!!! Even my meat-loving, veggie-hating hubby liked them. I also shared them with some friends and they loved them, too. These will definitely be part of my permanent rotation.

Thanks!

Made them for lunch today. LOVED THEM!!! DH was not happy when he found out there was no meat in them but he ate two and said, “Not bad.” That is a huge compliment from him. LOL!

Just made these, they’re awesome! Beth, I follow this blog religiously and every recipe I’ve tried has turned out fantastic with no modifications needed!

44. Charlotte says:

Hi, can you enlighten me as to what black beans are? I’m in England and can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere.

All I can find in the shops are:
    Chick peas
    Butter beans
    Black eyed peas
    Mung beans
    Split peas
    Haricot beans

Are any of these a suitable alternative?

Charlotte

45. Charlotte – none of those are black beans :( Black beans are sometimes called “turtle beans” although I’ve never seen them labeled that in US stores. Other beans that would make a suitable substitute are kidney beans, red beans, or pinto beans. Do your local stores carry any Hispanic or Mexican ingredients? You may be able to find those beans in that section of the grocery store.

amazing! i’ve made this for the 2nd time in one week and my fiance requests that i make it m,w,and f’s . thanks!! :)

47. I made these tonight and they were delicious! They made a ton too. I am looking forward to the leftover the rest of the week!

48. If you could ballpark a calorie count for one quesadilla, what do you think it would be? Just curious to see if you had figured it up. Thanks for such amazing, cheap and healthy recipes. You know me better than I know myself!

49. I made these last night and LOVED them!!! They so rock. They were so good, I had to pull one out of the freezer for breakfast. Thank!!

just made these for dinner and absolutely loved them! my hubby is a vegetarian and he loved it too, and so filling! I didn’t have red onion so substituted with white onion and i also added a little green pepper :)
    Thanks so much for this, will def be trying more stuff!
    p.s.
    made the taco mix from scratch too! yum!

51. I made these for a quick lunch for my brother and boyfriend – 2 different people =) – and tried to freeze some leftovers but they didn’t make it the rest of the day. I’ve since been making up a batch a week to keep in the freezer. They never last the whole week! This are so good and inexpensive (we’re all college students with limited funds). Thank you so much!

these were amazing – the whole family loved ‘em from 3yrs to adults – thanks!! (and what a great after-school snack for the teenager freezer to micro in nothin flat)

53. these are SO good! i’ll definitely make them again. i used about half a packet of taco seasoning, and canned corn instead of frozen. i also cooked my frozen leftovers in the oven! 10-15 minutes at 375 did the trick.

54. Tried these…THREE TIMES this week. Shared them with company, plus leftovers, we enjoyed these on three separate occasions. My husband keeps saying, “Its a keeper, its a keeper.” So thank you for sharing such a great recipe.
    And like Kristin, I found that half of your taco seasoning recipe (which is AMAZING!) was more than enough flavour.

Made these last night. Awesome! I had some chopped green pepper already stored in my freezer so I added that too.

56. Jodi says:

Made these tonight – OM NOM NOM NOM!!! Fantastic!!! I used taco-seasoned cheese, but I think next time I’m going to cut the cheese in half just to try to cut down on fat/calories. My husband added Sriracha sauce to his and said they were “awesome” – and he had to leave the kitchen to keep from eating 3. :) GREAT recipe – thank you so much!!!

57. This comment has been removed by the author.

58. This was delicious. However, I had some trouble with mine because I used black beans that I made myself so I didn’t have that goo that glued it together. It was harder to freeze and work with until the cheese started melting when it was in the skillet. I used the cornstarch and everything.

I’m tempted to use canned black beans so it’ll stay together but I love, love that homemade beans are so much better for you. Suggestions?

59. Hmm, I used homemade beans and they still had some goo. Do you freeze your beans in some of the liquid that they cooked in? I don’t drain mine completely before freezing. I leave enough liquid to just cover the beans. That starchy liquid turns a little gooey like the stuff in the can, although not as much so. Also, you can try mashing the beans up a little. That should help hold things together! :)

60. I was looking for a cheap and easy dinner to make last night, and these were perfect! The ingredients cost about AU$12 – about the same as what I usually spend on dinner, except these were so filling there’s leftovers :D

61. Yum! Look great. I can’t wait to try these. I’m a big fan of anything Mexican, and have been thinking about quesadillas lately. Thanks for the fun recipe. :)

One quick question – how much cornstarch do you suggest adding? I can not wait to try these out on Cinco de Mayo!

63. Anon – I used a half teaspoon of cornstarch in the taco seasoning mix. That should be enough :)

64. Maxime says:

These are SO good!! I used taco seasoning that I had on hand, but I think I’ll use yours next time. My 3 year old LOVES these – and she’s hard to please.

I just made them! They were good, but not spicy

66. Made these tonight. Added a little ghost pepper sauce to the black beans and used LOTS of cilantro. I knew they’d be good, but had no idea how good! Beth, you’re a genius!

Should I let the quesadillas thaw first before cooking them in the skillet or just go straight from the freezer?

68. I go straight from the freezer. But, keep the heat on med-low so that the inside has time to heat up and melt before the outside gets too crispy.

69. I made these a while back, and I am getting ready to make them again. They were so yummy. The last time I made them, I took them over to my friend’s for dinner. Not only did her very picky husband like them, but her 1 year old little boy ate one all by himself. He couldn’t get enough of these. Super yummy! Thanks for posting this!

the homemade taco seasoning really makes these the best quesadillas ever. and i love the crunchy-ness from the corn :D i ended up spending 85 cents per serving but that is amazing for san francisco!

71. These were SO GOOD HOLY CRAP! My grocery store for some reason didn’t have cilantro when I bought my ingredients :( so I think that’s why I didn’t get as many quesadillas as I expected, but hopefully next time I make them the store will be stocked.

72. Kate D says:

These are fantastic! Made them last night and brought them in to work for lunch today. Used to buy lean cuisine southwest quesadillas which are also froze and half the size. I think one costs what this whole batch cost me. Thanks Beth!!

These are SO GOOD thank you!

Hey! let me just start by saying – SOOOO good. made them with my friend today – they were absolutely delicious! :)
    By the way, do you know about how many calories there are in these? Like, would these be suitable for a person on a diet?

How much cornstarch do you suggest adding? I don’t see a measurement mentioned. Thanks!

76. Anon – The cornstarch is an optional ingredient in the taco seasoning recipe (here) and it calls for 1/2 tsp. If you are using a packet of store bought taco seasoning, it will already have some corn starch in it :)

Wow! I just made this for the first time. The only variation was that I added 1/2 finely chopped red bell pepper. It was fantastic! I am trying to keep myself from eating another one.

78. Mandy Hart says:

I teach fitness classes three nights a week at a local gym. By the time I get home between 7 and 8pm, I’m just to tired to cook. I still have a family, and they still have to eat though. I like to make the filling ahead, and then I can just throw together the quesadillas in no time. Dinner in minutes. Super convenient, very economical, and amazingly delicious to boot. Doesn’t get better than this.

These were quick to make & sooo good!

I wouldn’t call corn starch and taco flavoring ‘healthy’ and ‘low fat’.

81. Melanie says:

Just made these tonight — SOOO good. I am blown away!

82. Jane says:

these are amazing! this blog has changed my life and attitude towards food and meal planning and ideas about “what to have for dinner”

what’s up with the anonymous trolls? go somewhere else if you don’t like the recipes…

I started making these a few weeks ago, and have made them about once a week ever since. I love that they’re vegetarian and yet they still fill my husband up (he wouldn’t say that about too many vegetarian meals!). So it solves my dilemma about wanting to eat more meatless meals and yet still please my man (don’t worry, said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)! I wanted to pass along a tip I tried. I added some leftover rice along with the beany stuff and made burritos. They were also fabulous, and it occurred to me that the addition of rice may have even stretched the budget on these babies further!

I made these but used lentils with your taco seasoning and chopped up spinach with no black beans (but everything else the same) and it is amazing!!

85. Amber says:

These turned out AMAZING!!! they far exceeded my expectations (and my familys)and I think that they are even better than Whole Foods ! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us! This will be a new staple in our menus :)

I’ve made these twice now and I really enjoy them. It’s so easy to make, and then freeze a batch and I have delicious lunch for a week or so. My family really enjoys them too!

I’m in England, what could I use instead of the corn (please not sweetcorn, I hate it)?

88. You could always add a second bean, like pinto or kidney beans.

eating these right now. so good! i hate cilantro though so i left that out. :) i can myself making these non-stop for a little while!!!

90. Thank you so much for this! Just made dinner and the leftovers are in the freezer for nights after work when I just don’t wanna put effort into anything.

I’ve just discovered your blog (by a friend) and tried this recipe for lunch, and wow, they’re incredibly easy to make and sooo good! I’ll be trying many more recipes in the weeks to come, so thank you :)

92. I made these for dinner tonight, and they were a big hit! I had to substitute parsley for the cilantro (would have gotten a bunch, but I seldom use it). Also, I noticed the recipe for the taco seasoning looked a lot like the recipe I use for my chili seasoning, so I used some chili seasoning I already had mixed up. I will definitely be making these again!

93. Made these for lunch today, made a double batch and the rest is in the fridge so i can make some for the freezer later. Tjese are great with some salsa on the side..very filling and yummmmyyy :-)

Made these for lunch today! Just used a bit less red onion. I didn’t tell my husband what kind they were and he assumed they had chicken in them. We both enjoyed them- thanks for the great, easy recipe!!

95. I’ve been cooking your recipes all week since I found your blog (I’m eating some baked oats as I type this), and I’d say these are so far my favorite. I didn’t even need to freeze them, as I ate all ten in two days! I’m now wondering if I should make my own taco seasoning to put in these or be a slave to the packet. Talk about a first world problem…

96. black beans cook very fast from dry form, and it’s way, way cheaper than buying them canned. I think you can bring this number down. :)

97. Jessica says:

These are my favorite!

98. Dani M. says:

These are delicious! And no joke about the “hearty” – I ate one, thought I wanted more, but decided to wait. An hour and a half later, I’m still stuffed! Of course, I’m 4 months pregnant, so I’ll probably finish off the whole batch later tonight. : )

just made my second batch of these. they are so filling and the best take to work lunch! thanks!!

Just tried these the other night. Fantastic! I was eating the filling right out of the bowl while I cooked them. Wonderful recipe as always.

101. We made these yesterday, they were awesome! We skipped the cilantro cause we don’t like it (yeah I know), and cooked the onion cause we can’t eat it raw (our stomachs just say no!). Oh and since we can’t find black beans where we live, we substituted them with red beans. I don’t know black beans, never tasted em :( And I too found that the whole seasoning batch was a bit too much, but my bf loved it! He always likes it spicy.

Btw, it’s the first recipe I try from your blog since I’ve just discovered it yesterday, and it’s definitely a keeper. So I think I’ll try some other recipes very soon. Your cooking is so different from what I’m used to, it’s giving me great ideas to diversify a bit! I love the way you explain recipes, with step by step pictures, detailed pricing, etc..

THANK YOU!

(PS: sorry if I make mistakes, english isn’t my native tongue)

102. Just made these. Served them with homemade guacamole, store-bought salsa, and sour cream. LOVED THEM! Will very definitely make them again.

Wow, these are good! Thanks so much for sharing. I love that you can freeze them too. This is by far my new favorite fast, easy and delicious recipe! I’m so glad I stumbled across your blog. Looks like there are lots of other recipes that I need to try. :)

Thank you. just thank you….

105. I made these for lunch today, they were so yummy! My husbands picky and this was a nice meal for me to treat myself to.

106. I just made these tonight, been meaning to for a long while. They’re sooo good! I used kidney beans instead of black since in the UK black are about £1.20 per can but kidney beans I can find for £0.18 per can. Lovely though, and it’s a good thing my other half doesn’t like cheese so I can eat these all by myself!

107. Rachelle says:

My family and neighbor have been eating these for a week! I am currently on our second batch. I used garlic powder because I have not mastered mincing garlic. I also used flour tortillas because that is what I bought on sale. The freezing option is brilliant! Thank you SO very much!!! Even my carnivorous husband is in love. :)

I am a broke (seriously broke) college student and this recipe will definitely be my go-to meal. Surprisingly filling! I love it! Yellow onions are good with this too and you can do these as burritos too! Awesome! Wish I knew about this recipe sooner!

109. These taste exactly like the Southwest Eggrolls from Chili’s. I love them. Easy, yummy, and taste good out of the freezer.

We had these for meatless Wednesday…I know, Wednesday, but they were really good. I will definitely be making them again.

111. I’m thinking of adding a little diced, cooked chicken to these to make them even heartier and full of protein. Do you think I’d need to alter anything else?

112. Ahslee – You shouldn’t have to alter anything else if you add the chicken. Well, maybe a touch more cheese to help glue it together better? But that might not even be needed. Just chop the chicken into small pieces to help it all stay together.

113. I made these acc’ding to the recipe and they turned out pretty well, but I think I’ll add a splash of lime juice to the corn and beans next time and go wild on the cilantro. Also, instead of mixing it all together, I think I’ll put the filling on the tortilla first and then cover it with cheese (my usual method) so that the cheese is more of a presence in the finished product.

This filling would make a good nacho topping. I was famished while putting this together and scooped a couple bites out on tortilla chips. Even cold it was quite good—I might leave a serving or two out of the tortillas to keep in the fridge for snacking.

Thank you Beth! Now my wallet can be full and my belly can be happy too. Keep the simple budget recipes coming.

115. Quesadillas are amazing if your short for cash. I personally make chicken and cheese quesadillas with sour cream and 20 dollars will usually feed me for a week!

116. First, I love this blog. I am always looking for ways to trim my family’s food costs (we love good food so this is where we tend to splurge).

Second, if you are looking for ways to trim the cost even further down, I would recommend making your own tortillas. I haven’t made flour tortillas yet, but I’ve done corn, and they are super easy! (Well, my first batch wasn’t as good as my second batch) For a bag of mesa, it was $2.59 (or around there) and you only add water and salt to the flour. I have already made almost 30 tortillas and haven’t even used 1/4 of the bag yet. Of course, the tortilla press did cost me $20, but it will pay for itself eventually.

117. This one is a solid recipe. We’ve made several of your “bean inspired” recipes and this one we LOVED! My husband, who hates cilantro, was too busy scarfing these down to even notice! Love your blog! Keep up the amazing work! (We will be FIRST to buy your cookbook!)

118. I added chopped tomatoes to mine. They are delicious!

119. Ok, this is one of the beeest recipes I’ve ever tasted!!! Sooo good!!! :) I didn’t have cilantro, so I used recao (a leaf popular in Puerto Rico for cooking). Saludos desde Puerto Rico!!! :) God bless you!

120. I just wanted to say that this is so scrumptious. I have a feeling I will use this recipe for quite a while, and it’s SO easy to make and it’s so healthy! I added tomatoes to mine. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes. The zucchini fries might be next!

121. YUM! Just made these, and they are delicious! Thanks!

noody ever ansered the freezer questions.. do u cook them before you freeze hem and do you defros them or just cook them frozen.. would need anser before freezing..

123. Anon – I freeze them before cooking and then to cook I take them straight from the freezer and put them into a warm skillet. Don’t turn the skillet up too high or else the outside will brown before the inside has a chance to defrost and get melty. I usually set the burner to just below medium.

124. I just made these tonight along with some salsa and your baked zucchini chips – wonderful combination! Thank you so much :) Definitely a go-to dinner from now on and I froze another one for lunch tomorrow!

125. one word: magnificent

126. “Is this from that Budget Bytes place?” My husband now asks this whenever he really likes a new recipe. :-) so easy and so filling and so TASTY!!!! used black beans made in my slow cooker using your recipe too. LOVE LOVE LOVE your site

127. Just made these & I’m already OBSESSED. Definitely making these in a double or triple batch next time – I only got 6 out of this recipe because someone in my house discovered the filling and magically two cups disappeared! I also used your taco seasoning and it was absolutely delicious (and cheap since I already had everything on hand). I used to buy the Lean Cuisine version – no more. :)

@ Rachelle… when a recipe calls for minced garlic, just use the small side of a cheese grater :-)

129. Oh my goodness, these are SO good! My meat-loving boyfriend even loved it! Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and make the homemade black beans again. Just had one for lunch. Wish I brought more! Heated it up in the toaster oven and it tasted just like they did one the first day I made ‘em.

130. How can I keep these from getting hard when I microwave them from the freezer?

131. Kharmak – try microwaving them on half power. I suggest reheating them in a skillet so that the outside can get crispy while the inside melts. Heat over medium/low heat.

132. I’m gluten free, has anyone tried this recipe with corn tortillas? I’ve not been able to find a yummy gluten free flour tortilla yet. Thanks!

133. arata foarte bine, chiar inspirational as spune :)

134. Bobbie says:

These were awesome,with the ingredients I used they only came out to be about 269 calories each!! I shared them with my friends of My Fitness Pal, hope you don’t mind, I sent them the link too because everyonw should check out this site. Hope you have a wonderful day, Thanks again..

These are incredible. Made them a few weeks ago, freezed a few and sent the BF home with some. He hasn’t stopped raving about them since!

136. Seriously amazing!! I made these a few weeks ago but they were too spicy for the kiddos so I made up the rest froze them in little baggies and whenever I need a quick lunch I pop it in the toaster oven and mmmmmmm…. in 10 minutes! Thanks for another fantastic recipe!!

137. These were so simple, healthy, inexpensive, and amazing!

138. These were great! I am a complete cooking beginner and a tight budget have forced me to start cooking actual meals. The way you lay things out is super easy to follow, and I was able to easily make this! I made this with your lime rice recipe. I enjoyed this so much, and so did my boyfriend who says he hates corn and beans. He REALLY LOVED your taco seasoning. :D I am probably going to end up going through and making all of your recipes. You are a lifesaver!

139. Literally just finished eating these…they were AWESOME. Best quesadillas I’ve ever had! The seasoning was perfect, a bit spicy and super flavourful. Dipped ‘em in some sour cream and all was well!

I made these our holiday party last night, and I honestly couldn’t get them out of the pan fast enough to keep up with demand!

These were delicious and definitely hearty. My carnivorous three year old even enjoyed them. Tip for next time: I’ll make a batch of the taco seasoning with a mild chili powder and the cayenne omitted for the kids’ serving.

I’m alergic to cilantro. Is there any other herb you can suggest?

143. Anon – I think if you left the cilantro out without replacing it with anything else, the quesadillas would still be awesome. :) I can’t think of another fresh herb that has a distinct southwest flavor like cilantro and you don’t want to put something in that would clash. Just skip the cilantro and you’ll still be good!

Omg so yummy i scarfed down two and am so full now. I froze the rest and am looking forward to using the leftovers for lunch or dinner. Thanks for another hit recipe :)

145. I found out about your site from a friend of mine. Absolutely love it. Thank you for doing this; keep up the great work. I made these tonight. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!!!

146. I just made this and LOVE IT! This is the fifth recipe I’ve made from your website and all of them have been fantastic. Thanks so much!!

147. I made this last night and tonight and LOVED them. I added chicken, 2 avocados and salsa and the batch was so big it was 2 dinners and one lunch. I didn’t realize you absolutely cannot use corn tortillas, they just fall apart. With the whole wheat ones they were amazing! I can’t wait to start on your other recipes!

I really liked these, but I also liked them a little better with a little lemon juice to give it some extra zing. Paired with sour cream, they were great.

Just made these and found them quick, easy, and delicious. Thanks for sharing!

If you’re long on time and short on money I just discovered that homemade tortillas are easy and surprisingly fun to make and probably run you well under $1 for a batch of 10 – 12. (Recipes are all over but I had good luck with this cooks.com one http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1757,130189-249197,00.html )

These are AMAZING! We have these at least once every two weeks because they’re so easy and make great leftovers! Only thing I do differently is use a taco seasoning packet instead of making my own…I’m lazy. :P Thanks for the awesome recipe!

151. When I made the recipe as written, putting 1/2c filling in each tortilla, I filled exactly 9, not 10. (They were still delicious.) I recently made the recipe again and added a chopped bell pepper in and it came out to 10 perfectly.

Someone up above asked about calories… It depends entirely on the kind of cheese and tortillas you use. I use Sargento’s shredded 4 cheese reduced fat Mexican blend (which conveniently comes in 2 cup bags! 640cal per bag) and Giant Eagle’s “fiber rich” taco-sized flour tortillas (70cal/ea) — and, as said, I add bell pepper. The nutritional information for these is, per quesadilla:

217 calories
    29g carbs
    9g fat
    13g protein
    20g fiber (v. high for mine because of the tortillas I use)
    3g sugar

Hope this helps someone. Cheers!

152. Just tried this, and it was so freaking delicious and filling.
    I added chicken, used two kinds of beans (kidney and black beans) and used three kinds of cheeses (monterrey jack, pepper jack, and cheddar) and I wanted to like…lick the plate.
    Happily, I made enough to have for lunch AND dinner tomorrow, and I can’t wait!

I also made your mexican rice to eat with it. :D

Loved these! Only made 7, even though I followed the recipe exactly. Fast and easy for a night when I was short on time.

thought these looked interesting and decided to try them out… fantastic! i only give mine a 8/10 because i used wheat+gluten free tortillas which weren’t the tastiest. but thats my own twist on the recipe, i think its a winner all in all! 7 left in the freezer, might last me the next week. will be great to come home after work and able to have something hot, healthy and tasty ready to be warmed up!

I’ve been making these since the original posting, always gluten free. Either make my own GF tortillas or use Rudi’s plain or spinach GF tortillas (from Whole Foods). These freeze well. Just wrap in foil and put several in a freezer bag. Also easy to adjust the recipe for various allergies. These are also fun to cook in a quesadilla maker, although it is faster to cook 2 at once in a frying pan. Just put the ‘flat sides’ toward the middle and the half moons on the rounded edge of the pan. Thanks for the great inspiration!

156. Lindsey says:

I’m going to try this tonight but add some avocado to the recipe. Thanks!

157. Marie says:

Just made these, and my mouth wants more, even though my belly is perfectly content. This is the first time I’ve found a recipe with black beans that I enjoy, but they were delicious. The hubby started to eat one raw and wasn’t that impressed (lol!). Once cooked, he was hooked too. I just barely got some in the freezer, because they were in dire threat of being all eaten instantly.

Next time, I’d probably add a little lime juice and maybe some lime zest for a little extra zing. Also, I had the little 6″ taco tortillas, so I had a lot of extra filling left over (horray!). I found it a lot easier to cook them in the skillet on low heat open-faced, then when the outside was just starting to get crispy, flip them closed and let the melted cheese glue it together.

158. Ginny says:

These are great! Even my 8-year-old likes them (I use a little less taco seasoning for her). They really do freeze well, too! I like the suggestion of adding some lime juice. Perfect for a day when you don’t want to turn on the oven.

159. They were great! Very simple to do, and much tastier than the ones in stores. Thank you!

160. Rachelle says:

I added the juice of half a lime and more cilantro. DIVINE.

161. Tried them tonight and they were delicious!
    Greetings from Germany :)

162. Michelle says:

OMG this took me less than 10 minutes to prep! Wow I love this!

163. savannah says:

Made this today, so easy and filling! This is a very good recipe that i’ll definitely be using again!

164. Heather Hughes says:

I tried these last night for dinner & they turned out awesome. The filling was great! I’ve actually never used 1 tortilla & folded it over like instructed. I will definitely do that from now on!
    Thank you for a great recipe!

165. Erin says:

Great Recipe! I threw in a diced red pepper I had to use up- and fried them up on a griddle using a cast iron frying pan to get them nice and flat… Thanks!

166. Sunny Dae says:

These were so DELICIOUS! I was just eating the mix before I began putting it in the tortillas… I cooked them last night and just realized I forgot to add the cilantro. I love cilantro don’t know how I forgot it. Only means I will have to make them again.

This recipe is so affordable and easy to make… it’s going in my recipe book with a star next to it so I remember to it’s one of my favorites. And my husband loved them. In the future I will try adding meat inside.

Thank you so much for sharing!

167. Kellie says:

These are AMAZING – am so glad I tried them! And I don’t even like black beans! Ha!

168. Anna says:

Thanks so much for the website and recipe!
    I just made these really tasty quesadillas.

Tip: If you like “hot” salsa, then follow the amounts given for the taco seasoning. I prefer mild salsa, even medium salsa’s are more heat than I prefer, so next time I’d cut the chili and cayenne by half. You can always put hot sauce on it if you think it needs more kick :)
    Thanks again.

169. Dana says:

These were soooo good! I made a tex-mex pasta salad to go with and it was a very filling meal, which is great because we are looking to eat more vegetarian meals!

My filling was only enough for eight tortillas, but still awesome!! Thanks so much, Iove your site.

170. I’m munching on one of these right now and this stuff is amazing! Hearty, cheesy and just the right amount of spicy =) But maybe it could be a bit too hot for some people, although I’m not sure thats the recipe’s fault, because I also make my own chilli powder (there’s none for sale here in Portugal), and it already has cayenne in it, and I still added the extra cayenne when mixing the ingredients for the taco mix, so maybe that’s why my mix is hot… I like it though!
    Oh, did I mention I made these with your low fat tortillas (AP flour only)? I was a bit scared because you didn’t praise them much, but since I didn’t have any tortillas in the house, or any lard I gave them a shot, and so far so good! They’re not exactly like store bought, but they’re very good =)
    So, thanks for another great recipe, I’m looking forward to NOT cooking during the next week or so (finals week) since the rest of these are freezing right now along with some other freeze ahead meals =)

171. KatieLu says:

Cheap, easy, and deliciously filling! Three things that are a must on any budget. We’ve been making this once a week for several months and have not gotten tired of it yet. They also reheat pretty well, too.

172. Stumbled onto your website from Pinterest. LOVE this recipe….also made the potato soup on the weekend. Your site is bookmarked as my go-to for each recipes.

Thanks for sharing!!!

173. Angie says:

These are INCREDIBLE. I made these a few weeks ago, froze the whole batch and ate them for lunch at work over a few weeks. Phenomenal, filling, and cheap. I’ve since made four or five recipes from your site and they’ve all come out wonderfully (and I consider myself a non-cook). You’ve got something really great here – a great voice and really simple but thorough instructions for those of us who aren’t really experienced cooks. I look forward to new recipes! Thank you!

174. Eric says:

Love this recipe. I make double batches and toss them in the freezer.

I’ve made these twice now, and they are fantastic. Thanks for the recipe, and thanks especially for the storage and freezing directions! So useful.

176. Lauren says:

Beth, You are a lifesaver! These were super easy, cheap, lasted a long time (left-overs for days), and flavorful! Thank you for your recipes!

177. I made these, they were really easy and really really good. There is nothing you need to change with this recipe. Thanks Beth.

178. Sarah says:

This recipe is a favourite of mine!
    I made it part of my holiday party buffet, and they were a huge hit! I’m tempted to use it again this year.

Do you have any suggestions for another one of your recipes to use this year instead? For a crowd, and will be kept warm in a buffet server.

179. Katie says:

Made these last night, so tasty and easy, what an awesome idea to freeze and reheat!!! Love it, got my stash in the freezer!!

• Katie says:

I have to say my stash of these is gone! I powered through these all week, even warming them in the microwave they are delicious! Time to make more!!!

180. I made these last night, but to make them a bit healthier, I ended up baking them for 15 minutes on 350*F. SOO yummy!

And I don’t like onions, so instead of the red onion, I used 1/4 c. frozen chopped onions instead. The texture and filler is still there, but the flavor isn’t as hot or oniony.

181. Olivia says:

OMgah, we obviously bought the same cheap measuring cups where the size label rubs off after heavy use and you just need to get used to eyeballing which of your measuring cups is the right size.

182. Maggie says:

Made these for a Super Bowl potluck and they flew off the plate!

183. Cherie M says:

This has become a favourite staple in our house. It’s easy enough to make extras, and they make great leftovers, even if they’re frozen and just reheated in the microwave.

184. Karen says:

Finally made these again and they’re wonderful. My first attempt was only ok. Despite liking wheat breads, I don’t seem to like wheat tortillas I’ve tried.
    Also, since I had 3 left over tortillas (surprise 11 in my pkg lol) I made mediterranean ones with spinach, feta, mozz, and zucchini. Tried a bite but lacks the oomph that the black bean quesa has. I think I need tzatziki with it. =)

185. Rachel says:

I really liked these. I got a lot of “They’re okay, but there’s too much onion,” from the family. I’m considering nixing the onion in favor of powder in the future.

186. These were delicious! I think this recipe finally convinced my husband that quesadillas can be awesome and tasty!

187. Erin says:

Delicious. So glad I found your site. I used a packet of taco seasoning and found it too salty. I’ll try your homemade mix next time.

I can’t believe how cheap these are and yummy.

188. Helen S. says:

Another weeknight favorite. Filling, delicious, and the freezing directions are a godsend.

189. sarah says:

Made these tonight for dinner after work. I didn’t have cilantro (my husband picked up parsley by mistake) I added cooked chicken. They were soooo yummy with lots of flavour!!! I will make these again!

190. Nicole says:

Just made these for dinner tonight and they are awesome!!! I’m a big meat eater and I didn’t even miss it!

191. Lisa says:

Tried these last night with 1/2 kidney beans and 1/2 cannellini beans and they were awesome! I made mine with 2 cans beans and big tortillas, so I had two big quesadillas for dinner for the hubs and I and two more in the freezer for the weekend. They were so quick and tasty!

192. Reyna says:

My only options for making the taco seasoning are sweet or spicy paprika. Which would you recommend?