I can feel it, y’all! I can feel the summer coming! And in its honor, I wanted to make something refreshing, crisp, and crunchy. Hello, Cumin Lime Coleslaw!
Seriously, though. Ever since the weather warmed up all I’ve wanted is salads and other crunchy, cold vegetables. This Cumin Lime Coleslaw has a bright and sunny dressing made with fresh lime juice, earthy cumin (which has always smelled kind of lemony to me), and a small pinch of cayenne. Green onions and shredded carrots add color and flavor to the crunchy cabbage and round out this easy, breezy coleslaw.
As with any coleslaw, this one makes a great side for grilled meat (something like Chili Lime Pork Loin, maybe?), or can even be stuffed onto a sandwich or in a taco. I ate a big bowl of this on its own, but then stuffed the rest into tacos… but you’ll have to stay tuned to find out more about the tacos! ;)
Cumin Lime Coleslaw
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise ($0.66)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime) ($0.69)
- 1 tsp ground cumin ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- pinch cayenne pepper ($0.02)
- 1 tsp sugar ($0.02)
- 1/2 head green cabbage(about 1.25 lbs or 6 cups shredded) ($0.84)
- 2 carrots ($0.27)
- 1/2 bunch green onions ($0.38)
- Prepare the coleslaw dressing by stirring together the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, salt, sugar, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, the remove the core from each section. Cut the quarters in half one more time to make thin wedges, then cut across the wedges into thin strips. Peel the carrots, then use a large holed cheese grater to shred the carrots. Thinly slice the green onions.
- Combine the shredded cabbage, carrots, and green onions in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top, then stir until everything is well coated in dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. After refrigerating, make sure to stir the slaw well before serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cumin Lime Coleslaw
Step by Step Photos
Begin by making the dressing so the flavors have a little time to blend. Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can use regular or light mayonnaise, but if using light, make sure it’s a brand you already know you like. Not all light mayos are made equal. :P
I only used half of a cabbage for this recipe (or about 1.25 lbs. worth of cabbage). What will I do with the other half? Probably slice it up and roast it with some Caesar dressing. MMmm. Anyway, cut the portion that you’ll be using into half to make quarters. Cut diagonally along the “point” to remove the core.
Cut the quarters in half one more time to make thin wedges, then cut across the wedges into thin strips. Or, if you have a mandolin or food processor with attachments for shredding, you can use those. I got about 6 cups of shredded cabbage from the half head.
Peel two carrots then use a large holed cheese grater to shred the carrots (be careful with your knuckles!). Thinly slice half a bunch of green onions (about 4 green onions). Combine the cabbage, carrots, and green onions in a large bowl.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and then stir until everything is well coated. Serve the Cumin Lime Coleslaw immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. As will all slaws, the salt in the dressing will cause the cabbage to slowly wilt and let off a little water, so be sure to stir the slaw before serving to redistribute the dressing.
But if you need to prepare it ahead of time, go ahead and make the dressing and prep the vegetables, but combine the two just before serving for the crunchiest coleslaw possible.