Once I get started on the Cinco de Mayo train, I just can’t stop. I started with some Cheesy Scallion Stuffed Jalapeños the other day, then ended up making a batch of enchiladas and this insanely good (and simple) Warm Corn and Avocado Salad. This salad is the perfect light and fresh side dish for enchiladas, Chipotle Lime Chicken and Rice, Cilantro Lime Chicken, or even as a topper for tacos. It’s great warm when freshly prepared, but it’s also great cold if you’re making it ahead of time. And the avocado? Don’t worry. The lime juice helps keep it bright and looking fresh!
Warm Corn and Avocado Salad
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels, thawed ($1.45)
- Salt and Pepper to taste ( $0.05)
- 1/4 tsp cumin ($0.03)
- 1/4 red onion ($0.15)
- 1 avocado ( $0.69)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro ( $0.20)
- 1 lime ( $0.50)
- Make sure to let the corn thaw completely. Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot and shimmering, add the thawed corn and sauté until the corn becomes golden brown and blistered. Remove the corn from the skillet and place it in a large bowl, season with a pinch of salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp cumin. Allow the corn to cool slightly.
- While the corn is cooling, prepare the remaining vegetables. Finely dice the red onion, roughly chop the cilantro, and cube the avocado. Add the onion, cilantro, and avocado to the bowl with the corn. Stir briefly.
- Squeeze the juice from half the lime over the salad, stir, and taste. Adjust the salt and lime juice as needed. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to eat.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
Step by Step Photos
Start with one pound of frozen corn kernels that are completely thawed. Heat about 2 Tbsp of cooking oil (a high smoke point oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. You want the skillet and oil very hot so they slightly char the corn. Once hot, add the corn and sauté until the corn gets some browned and blistered spots. Once it’s got some color, turn the heat off and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, plus 1/4 tsp cumin. Remove the corn from the skillet and place it in a large bowl.
While the corn is cooling, prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. Finely dice about 1/4 of a red onion, roughly chop about 1/4 bunch of cilantro, and cube an avocado. These ingredients don’t really have to be exact. If you don’t like red onion so much, use less. If you like cilantro a lot, use more. You can even add a diced jalapeño if you want your salad to be a lil’ spicy!
Add the onion, avocado, and cilantro to the warm corn. Squeeze the juice from half the lime over top.
Give everything a quick stir, then taste, and adjust the lime and salt if needed.
Serve the Warm Corn and Avocado Salad immediately, or refrigerate it until ready to eat and enjoy it cold.
Makes a great fresh salad on its own, or as a topper for tacos! Oooh baby. #cantgetenough