This is one of my favorite quick, savory breakfasts and I’ve made about a hundred versions of it. It’s going to seem gross or weird to a lot of you, but I LOVE it. Plus, I got so many questions about it when I used a picture of a similar version for this soft boiled egg post, that I knew at least some people would be interested. :)
The basic formula is rice, greens, a soft boiled egg, and a splash of hot sauce. You can use different types of rice, different seasonings, different types of sautéed greens, and even different kinds of fat. My favorite combination is jasmine rice (white or brown), virgin coconut oil, jerk seasoning, and spinach. The coconut oil is absolutely magical in this breakfast bowl, but for the SNAP challenge, I used butter to save a few pennies. I love this Mccormick jerk seasoning, but can’t find it at my usual grocery store, so I made the seasoned rice instead, to hopefully make up for it. So, here is the SNAP version of my favorite savory breakfast, packed with fiber, greens, and a deliciously creamy soft boiled egg. (directions for making a soft boiled egg here)
Spinach Rice Breakfast Bowls
- 1/2 cup cooked seasoned rice ($0.11)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach ($0.16)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter ($0.08)
- 1 large egg ($0.21)
- pinch of salt and pepper ($0.03)
- splash of hot sauce ($0.05)
- Place one inch of water in a small sauce pan. Bring it up to a boil over high heat with the lid on top. Once it reaches a full boil, add the egg in the pot, replace the lid, and let boil/steam in the shallow water for exactly six minutes. After six minutes, pour out the hot water, rinse with cool water, then peel immediately.
- While the egg is cooking, add 1/2 cup of precooked seasoned rice to a bowl along with 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach. Microwave on high until heated through (about two minutes, stirring once half way through). Season the spinach and rice with butter and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the egg is cooked and peeled, add it to the bowl with the spinach rice, drizzle hot sauce over top, and eat.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
See my full tutorial and video on how to soft boil an egg here.
How to Make Spinach Rice Breakfast Bowls – Step by Step Photos
Begin by bringing one inch of water to a full boil in a small pot. Once it begins to boil, add the egg, cover the pot, and let it boil/steam for exactly six minutes. After six minutes, pour out the hot water, and rinse with cool water. Peel the egg immediately.
While the egg is cooking, add 1/2 cup of precooked seasoned rice to a bowl along with 1/2 cup of frozen, chopped spinach. Microwave on high for about two minutes (stirring once half way through), or until the rice and spinach are hot.
Once the rice and spinach are fully heated, season with 1/2 Tbsp butter (or virgin coconut oil) and a pinch of salt and pepper. You can experiment with adding extra herbs here. Sometimes I add a little thyme and red pepper flakes.
Finally, add the cooked and peeled soft-boiled egg and drizzle with hot sauce (I use sriracha! Woo!). And that’s one of my all time favorite breakfasts! (yes, I’m a little unusual)