Ahhhh, spring is in the air! At least it is here in Louisiana. The hot, humid weather already has me in the mood for light, cold dishes. If it’s still freezing outside where you live, make sure you book mark this recipe for later. It’s too good to miss!
You’ll want to make this recipe in small batches as the dressing will cause the mango and cucumber to wilt a bit. I find that the salad tastes best on day one and two. Luckily, it only takes a matter of minutes to slice everything up and throw it together!
Cucumber Mango Salad
- 1 medium mango $0.99
- 1 medium cucumber $0.50
- ¼ cup rice vinegar $0.16
- 2 Tbsp white sugar $0.02
- ⅛ tsp salt $0.02
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes $0.02
- Wash the cucumber well to remove wax or other residues. For a decorative look, remove the peel in strips from end to end (see photos below). Slice the cucumber.
- Cut the mango into slices by first cutting off both rounded “cheeks.” Score flesh of the mango into strips then use a spoon to separate the flesh from the skin (see photos below). Cut the mango slices in half lengthwise so that they are more similar in size to the cucumber slices.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing. Combine the rice vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, mango and dressing. Stir well to coat. Either eat fresh or refrigerate until ready to eat. Stir well before serving to redistribute the dressing.
Step By Step Photos
Removing half of the peel in long strips makes for a really pretty pattern after the cucumber is sliced.
After cutting the rounded side off of the mango, score vertical lines into it with a small knife. Make sure the cuts go all the way down to the skin. Use a spoon to scoop out the slices.
Toss the cucumber and mango together in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the dressing over the cucumber and mango. Stir well before serving.