Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowls

Continuing on the “light, fresh & cold” summer meal train, I made these AWESOME Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowls last week. I love “bowl” meals because there is so much flavor, texture, and color in every bite, plus they’re highly customizable. This particular bowl combines the super fresh flavors of cucumber and cilantro with rich guacamole, spicy hot sauce and crunchy shredded carrots, plus edamame and tuna for a healthy dose of protein.

The bowls are super delicious and filling, and because they’re eaten cold they are also quite refreshing in this sweltering hot weather. I ate the first bowl just after taking pictures, so the rice was still warm and it was awesome that way, too. The bowls stayed fresh in the refrigerator for the next three days, with the last bowl being just as good as the first! I know, you’re thinking, “BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GUACAMOLE?! Didn’t it turn black?” Nope. I’m not sure if the brand I used contains extra lime juice or some other preservative, but it was nice and green on day two, and only slightly grey on day three. And guess what? I’m not afraid of the grey/brown discoloration of avocados. It’s just oxidization, folks. Still tastes good.

Pre-made guacamole is very expensive and the only reason I ended up including it in this recipe is because all of the avocados were rock hard and actually the same price as the guac! If they had been ripe and at a reasonable price, I would have used slice avocado in place of the guac, and maybe added a bit of soy sauce or a soy sauce based dressing for moisture. Customization in action!

Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowls

Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowls

Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowls

• 3 cups cooked rice (I used brown jasmine rice) $0.50
  • 1 medium cucumber $0.95
  • 1 cup frozen shelled edamame $0.82
  • 1 medium carrot $0.14
  • 2 (5 oz.) cans chunk light tuna in water $1.98
  • 8 oz. package guacamole $2.50
  • ¼ bunch cilantro $0.22
  • 4 Tbsp sriracha hot sauce $0.34
  1. Dice the cucumber and shred the carrot (use a large box or cheese grater). Cook the edamame according to the package directions (microwave on high with a few Tbsp of water for 2-3 minutes). Drain the tuna and roughly chop the cilantro.
  2. Place ¾ cup of cooked rice in the bottom of each bowl. Top with ¼ cup edamame, ½ a can of tuna, ¼ cup guacamole, a handful of diced cucumber, a pinch of shredded carrots, and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. Drizzle sriracha over top, then serve.
Notes
The bowls stay good refrigerated for about three days when stored in air-tight containers.

Spicy Tuna Guacamole Bowl

Step by Step Photos

Brown Jasmine RiceYou can use any rice for these bowls, but I love the nutty flavor and aroma of jasmine rice. I was lucky enough to find BROWN jasmine rice in the bulk bins at Whole Foods, so I went with that. I used 3 cups of cooked rice, which is about 1.5 cups of dry brown rice.

Cooked RiceSo, if you haven’t yet, cook the rice before you begin. Let it cool a bit.

Dice CucumberDice one medium cucumber.

Shred CarrotsPeel and shred one medium carrot.

EdamameCook one cup of edamame according to the package directions (microwave on high with 2-3 Tbsp water for 2-3 minutes). Let cool.

Guacamole Tuna CilantroDrain two cans of tuna and roughly chop 1/4 bunch of cilantro. I used an 8oz. package of guacamole, but you could certainly make your own or use avocado slices (you might need some extra sauce of some sort if using slices).

Build Spicy Tuna Guacamole BowlsThen just build the bowl! Start with 3/4 cup rice, then add 1/4 cup edamame, 1/2 can of tuna, 1/4 cup guacamole, a handful of cucumber, a big pinch of carrots, a sprinkle of cilantro, and a drizzle of hot sauce over top. YUM!

Extra Spicy Tuna Guacamole BowlsI ate the one in the picture for lunch, then packed up the other three in containers for lunch the rest of the week. They stayed really nice and fresh for three days!

Spicy Tuna Guacamole BowlBe still my heart.

1. Valérie says:

This is good. And fresh. And uplifting.
    It makes me happy. Nothing less.
    Thank you for this amazing and simple recipe!
    And the step by step photos, please, continue to do that.
    I love to cook now and it’s because of you!

2. Sara says:

Wow! I have a huge rotation of recipes. Some of my families favorite meals, I only make once or twice a year. With that said, I’m making these amazing tuna bowls for the third time in a month! Somehow the flavors combine and taste like sushi in a bowl. Amazing! Thank you, Beth!

3. Bethany says:

I have eaten 3 out of 4 servings (had the first fresh when I made them Sunday night and brought the next two for lunch) and I’m still looking forward to eating the fourth for lunch tomorrow. I can’t wait to try to make these again and tweak them just a bit, though I’m not sure how since this combination is such a winner!

4. Allison says:

These were really really good! Avocados were cheaper than guacamole at the store so I went with slices. To make up for the moisture, I made a batch of your Sesame Ginger dressing and spooned a little on top. I left out the siracha so the flavors wouldn’t compete. Next time I’m going to try making it as written. This is definitely a recipe built with power foods if you use brown rice. Thanks!

5. TBraz says:

As I reflect upon my empty bowl, I can’t help but think that perhaps a good addition/substitution could be some kimchi.
    I’m sad to see kimchi returns no search results Beth!

• I bet that would be good! I mean, I haven’t “liked” kimchi yet (I assume it’s just a matter of time before I come around to it), but I can still imagine that it would go great in there.

6. Tonya C. says:

Wow, this was fantastic! I was a little hesitant because I just couldn’t imagine how all these ingredients would taste paired together, but it was a home run for sure!

7. Great recipe–I love this type of one dish complete meal with a minimal amount of cooking. And it tastes great! I don’t know why, but I have trouble cooking rice well, so this recipe prompted me to try some other rice cooking techniques as I don’t want to get a rice cooker (space). I’m getting there!

8. Made these for dinner tonight. A hit with all. Thank you for a great recipe. It’s a keeper.

9. Megan says:

My husband and I loved these for a light dinner! I used fresh greens instead of rice. It was scrumptious.

10. So, so, SO good. Added some sliced red pepper & used brown basmati rice. Just ate my leftovers from last night’s recipe – STILL GOOD. Can’t wait to make this again. Thanks!

11. Kathleen says:

I love these bowls! They have all my favorite things: avocado, tuna, cilantro, edamame, and of course, Siracha sauce, in one dish. Yummy yum.

And I am getting over my fear of eating avacados that have turned dark. It’s such an amazing food that it is worth getting over that. I think I have found an absolutely essential, every week recipe for when I go back to school this fall.

The rice was good the next day cold, but I am going to use quinoa instead. I prefer the quinoa cold, so it makes more sense for me as a three day recipe. I am also going to maybe throw in some red onion. I like how these recipes make me feel comfortable to try things on my own.

12. Ken Smith says:

So you eat this with cold rice on the bottom? Sounds kind of weird to me…

How is it with cold leftover rice?

Thanks!

Ken

• Yep, cold rice! :) It’s kind of like a cold rice salad. You can definitely use leftover rice if you have it on hand.

13. Liz A. says:

Subbed flaked-up tilapia for the tuna (needed to clean out the freezer), and it worked *beautifully*!

14. Jennifer says:

I was a little skeptical, but want to eat more tuna and love almost all of your recipes. So I tried it, and it was amazing. Super easy, fast, and yummy. I used tuna in olive oil and half an avocado per serving instead of guacamole.

15. Lisa says:

Delicious! I was sort of unsure about how all the ingredients would taste together, but I love all of them separately and I trust you, so I went for it. I mixed a little mayo and sriracha into the tuna and made the guac myself. I love that this meal is tasty and filling, but still light, and I only had to turn on the stove to cook the rice, so it’s perfect for summer. (It won’t let me click 5 stars, or I would have!)

16. I loved this! I made each bowl a little smaller added a fried egg on top of it. Amazing!

17. My boyfriend and I made a double batch for lunches for the week. We both LOVE this recipe – super delicious, super fast, and super affordable. Thanks for sharing (another) winner!

18. Robin says:

I made a batch of these for lunch this week with fresh avocado slices dipped in lemon juice. They held up well. Next time I want to add some orange or red bell pepper and maybe swap out the tuna for some fresh broiled salmon.

19. Made this for dinner tonight, my store was out of edamame so used cannelini beans and steamable broccoli. This was a hit with all!

20. Tera says:

This looks delicious! As I was reading through your recipe, I couldn’t help but think Trader Joe’s Spicy Edamame Guacamole/dip would be delicious with this (I just bought some for the first time on Monday… TJ’s never lets me down).

21. I am totally going to make this soon, except with chicken instead. :) I have nearly all of this in my fridge already!

And once again, it was great to meet you on Saturday!

22. Katie F says:

This was really good. Adding this to my regular rotation.

23. Katherine M. says:

I just made this last night for dinner. It was a huge hit with my husband and he’s exited about eating it for lunch today. He’s not a big fan of tuna, so I bought a discounted rotissery chicken from the grocery store. The cost was comparable ($4.00 for the whole chicken).

Also, I made the pickeled carrots from your Bahn Mi bowls and added those. They were also a good addition and a big hit!

24. Robert S says:

I made this today for lunch, but perked up the tuna portion a bit. Took 3 cans of tuna and mixed in 1/4 chopped red onion, 1 stalk minced celery, and a dash of ginger dressing. Perfection! Definitely trying this recipe again with fresh sliced avocado next time rather than premade guac. A slice of mango goes great on the side, as well!

25. Stephanie says:

I can’t WAIT to eat this for lunch tomorrow!!

26. Claire says:

Made this tonight (my third BB meal in as many days I think). Was so filling, felt and tasted really healthy. Loved it.
    Used salmon instead of tuna and for the veggie version (for me) I used what I had to hand and chopped up some veggie hot dog sausage.
    Def on the menu again.
    Thanks so much!!

27. Matt says:

I made this for dinner last night using a single jar of tuna packed in olive oil. I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be filling enough, but I was full after one serving. It was really, really good. The best part is that I have lunch for three more days! Great recipe!

28. Heather K says:

This looks really good – since I am veg, I think I will sub beans for the tuna.

29. Melissa says:

I bought a couple of avocados the other day, and they’re finally just about ripe. Definitely trying this tomorrow!! =)

30. Christine M. says:

Definitely trying this variation with raw tuna. YUMMY.

31. Meghan says:

I’m eating this right now–it’s delicious! I used quinoa instead of rice and omitted the cucumber. Perfection.

32. Erin says:

What did you do to keep the guacamole from turning brown in the ones that you prepackaged?

• Christine M. says:

She explains in the second paragraph. :)

• It just for some reason didn’t really turn brown. :) Guacamole has lime (or lemon) juice in it, so that sometimes help keep it from turning brown, but the brand I used may have had an extra preservative in it. It was only slightly grey by day 3.

• Shandelle says:

As an alternative, Wholly Guacamole sells 100 calorie snack pack portions in both plain and spicy. I get these all the time and you could throw one in the lunch bag to put on top so it stays fresher. They are 2 oz so exactly the same portion required per salad.