Green Chile Turkey Burgers

Every once in a while I get a very specific craving for a burger. Not just the patty itself, but the bun, tomato, and the whole deal. I wanted to do something a little different this time, so came up with these super yum turkey burgers infused with green chiles, cumin, and pepper jack cheese.

These burgers only take about 10 minutes to mix up and then depending on how you cook them, just a few minutes more until they’re ready to eat. It doesn’t really get better than this for a quick, flavorful weeknight dinner! I topped my burger with a sliced tomato, but completely forgot to buy the lettuce. As I was contemplating the sad loss of the green element of my burger, I realized that avocado slices would be to die for with this burger, so I wrote that into the recipe and cost. But you know, lettuce would be good too, I guess.

Green Chile Turkey Burgers

Green Chile Turkey Burgers - Budget Bytes

Green Chile Turkey Burgers

• 19 oz. pkg ground turkey $4.59
  • 4 oz. can diced green chiles $0.87
  • ½ tsp ground cumin $0.05
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • ¼ tsp salt $0.02
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced $0.20
  • 2 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded $0.61
  • 6 hamburger buns $2.02
  • 1 large tomato (optional) $0.83
  • 1 large avocado (optional) $1.50
  1. Place the ground turkey, green chiles, sliced green onions, shredded pepper jack, cumin, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients until well combined. Divide the mix into six equal portions and shape into patties. The mixture will be fairly wet.
  2. Coat a large skillet or countertop grill with non stick spray. Heat the skillet over a medium flame (or preheat the grill for five minutes), add the burgers and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side (countertop grills cook from both sides at once, so 5-7 minutes total). The burgers should be browned on each side and no longer pink in the center. The juices may still run white because of the melted cheese.
  3. Serve each patty on a bun with a slice of tomato and a couple slices of avocado.

Green Chile Turkey Burgeres - Budget Bytes

I didn’t have an avocado today, so I used some mayo instead. Still very good!

Step by Step Photos

Green Chile Turkey Burger Ingredients

These burgers are incredibly simple. This is all you need to add TONS of flavor to the ground turkey. This is one 19 oz. package of ground turkey, two ounces of shredded pepper jack (about 1/2 cup), 2-3 green onions sliced, one 4 oz. can of diced green chiles, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder AND 1/4 tsp salt (not pictured).  To measure the cheese I just cut an 8 oz. block of cheese into quarters then shredded one of them.

Green Chile Turkey Burger Ingredients

Place all of the ingredients in a bowl…

Mixed ingredients

Then mix them all together until well combined. This mixture is pretty wet thanks to the green chiles, but I was still able to form them into patties. They held together well when cooked. Divide this mixture into six equal portions and form them into patties.

George Foreman Grill

I cooked the first couple on my George Foreman grill. Despite coating it with non-stick spray, the cheese made them stick just a bit.

Skillet

I cooked the rest in a skillet over medium heat (also coated with non-stick spray) and had no problems with sticking. In fact, the skillet cooked burgers were MUCH juicier than the Foreman grilled. The skillet is my preparation method of choice. Try not to crowd the skillet or else the juices will get trapped and prevent browning. I had to cook one last burger by itself after this group. :)

Burger Comparison

So here is the comparison between the George Foreman cooked burgers and the burgers cooked in the skillet. The skillet wins hands down. (There was one more burger cooking in the skillet when I took this photo. Six total.)

Green Chile Turkey Burgers - Budget Bytes

Top your burgers with whatever you like. I like a slice of fresh tomato and some avocado (not pictured).

Green Chile Turkey Burgers - Budget Bytes

And of course, I served them with Chile Roasted Potatoes! YUM!

1. If you are lazy like me, frozen tater tots also go well with this. :)

2. Coco says:

Made these last night for a dinner guest and they were so good! One of our favorite recipes from your site so far. Thanks!

3. Janet says:

I enjoyed these very much. They were moist and had good flavor. I topped them with avocado and added sliced pepper jack instead of putting in the burger. Served with a side mixed green salad and dinner was served. Thank you – it was yummy.

4. Yum — these were the most flavorful & juicy turkey burgers we’ve made! Only issue was they were a bit hard to flip on the grill. For toppings, we added sliced jalapenos. And instead of just slicing an avocado, I mashed it with lime juice and chopped herbs. Served with your chili roasted potatoes as recommended. Delicious.

5. Yum, I’m drooling. I’ve gotta try this soon!

6. These turkey burgers were phenomenal. My boyfriend prefers beef instead of turkey. When I made these, he couldn’t even tell they were made from turkey meat. Very flavorful and delicious! A must try.

7. Sara says:

You never fail me! These were great. I usually don’t care for ground turkey but they were juicy and super flavorful. I will definitely make them again.

8. Shannon says:

These were incredible! I used some fancy shredded cheddar jack cheese I found on sale and some crushed red pepper flakes rather than pepper jack cheese. I sauteed some onions while I was mixing the burger and cooked the burgers in the same pan. A dab of one’s favorite BBQ sauce is the perfect thing on these. While the rest of the family ate these as burgers, I just ate mine without the bun, with the onion, some avocado, tomato… So delicious! I had mine with a baked yam with some Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash and it was the perfect side. I already can’t wait to make these burgers again.

9. Leah says:

Just made these to have for lunch this week. I had never made burgers in a skillet before but these were so juicy and amazing it’s my new go to method! Topped with tomato, avacado, and some chipotle mayo. Heaven.

10. Karen says:

I only had a 16 oz package of ground turkey so we made 4 patties. They were awesome! Topped with a slice of pepper jack, homemade grainy honey mustard, avocado, tomato, red onion, and lettuce! Very tasty and satisfying. Thanks for another winner!!!!

11. Amanda says:

Awesome burgers! Used pickled jalapenos instead of avocado and my 15yr old loved it.

12. Made these last week and they were fantastic! I added some avocado, tomatoes and siracha mayo, they were perfect :-)

13. abby says:

these look delicious! do you think it would affect the recipe much if I left out the cheese?

• Nope, in fact I meant to mention that and forgot. I think it would be equally as awesome without the cheese, although I’d probably add a pinch of red pepper flakes to make up for the lost heat.

14. The Fashion Fraction says:
  15. We enjoyed these a lot! I made them tonight for dinner and served them with a little spicy calabacitas saute on the side. We put mayo, avocado, sliced tomato, and herb salad mix on the buns. They would be good with a garlic aioli too.

16. Chloe says:

these look yummy! thinking about doing a meatloaf instead – do you think the recipe would require anything extra to hold it together?

17. I made these tonight but omitted cheese & bun to make them paleo. I highly suggest sautéed mushrooms on the side. They were so delicious that my fiancé asked to me to make more patties and freeze them for future meals.

Excited to share this recipe with friends and family!

18. Judy H says:

This looks yummy!
    Can I recommend a condiment? Bobby Deen has a recipe for Chicken Creole Burgers with Bayou Mayo. The Bayou Mayo would be great on this. It calls for diced chives, cajun seasoning, and lemon juice mixed into mayo. Of course they recommend Paula Deen’s Creole Pepper Blend, but I usually use Emeril’s Bayou Blast and omit the chives. In my opinion the chives aren’t really necessary.

19. Holly says:

Yum – these look incredible! Definitely going onto the meal plan very soon.

Also, just wanted to mention that I usually read your posts through an RSS reader (The Old Reader), but lately the images don’t show up on there. They show up fine when I come to your website, but just show up as broken images on the reader. Not sure if it’s something on your end or on TOR’s end. :[

• Thanks for the heads up! I’ve heard from some others that the problem is happening in Feedly, too. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. :/

20. Mike says:

Wow, this comes at a perfect time, I needed something to make Wednesday evening. I even have some green onions and pepper jack on hand, and a can of green chiles in the cupboard just waiting to be used. Just need to grab the ground turkey and buns.

Plus I haven’t had burgers in AGES due to wanting to cut red meat out of my diet as much as possible, so this is great!

Oh and the image with the recipe title in it has an extra ‘E’ in Green. Unless you’re supposed to extend the word for emphasis. :) Greeeeeeen Chile Turkey Burgers

• Hahaha, I noticed that mistake just before I went to bed last night and let out a big “ARRRRGH!” haven’t had a chance to go back and fix it yet. :)

21. I Love ground turkey! I can’t even remember the last time I used ground beef. Will definitely give these burgers a try. looks yummy!

22. Yummy!

23. Good gracious, these look delicious! Can’t wait to try them out!

24. Nicole says:

Hmm. I usually hate the way ground turkey smells and tastes BUT you haven’t failed me yet so I suppose I’ll have to try them!