Yellow Jasmine Rice

Okay, this is a pretty big statement to make, but… This is the best rice I’ve ever had.

Yep. The flavor was simply out of this world. The aroma as it cooked almost gave me a high. Plain white rice is dead to me now.

If you follow the blog you’re probably familiar with how much I love jasmine rice. I don’t know how I lived my whole life without knowing about it, but since discovering it a year or two ago, I just can’t stop. It’s incredible. If you haven’t tried jasmine rice yet, get to the store NOW and buy some.

Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the Asian section or in the rice section (usually on the bottom shelf). It can be pricy if you buy one of those small specialty brand containers but if you buy the actual Asian brand (in large bags, bottom shelf), its just as inexpensive as regular rice. Also check bulk bins. Some stores will have jasmine rice (white AND brown) in bulk.

Anyway, I decided to kick up the jasmine rice by adding a few spices and something magical happened. The turmeric and cumin added to the rich, nutty flavor of the jasmine rice and the little pinch of cinnamon added just a hint of spicy sweetness… like hitting the cymbals on a drum kit. The first bite was so good, I swear I saw angels.

Okay, if you haven’t been weirded out by my rice-love manifesto, here’s the recipe:

Yellow Jasmine Rice

yellow jasmine rice

yellow jasmine rice

• 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
  • 3 cups chicken broth $0.27
  • 1 tsp turmeric $0.05
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
  • ¼ tsp ground cumin $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  • 1 whole bay leaf $0.05
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.15
  1. Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.
  2. Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices. You may hear a slight popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.
  3. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and one bay leaf to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer (with the lid in place) for 20 minutes.
  4. After letting it simmer for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest (do not remove the lid) for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

spicesThis is the magical mixture that brought the jasmine rice from delicious to heavenly. Butter, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and a bay leaf.

melt butter w/spicesMelt the butter in a pot along with the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic.

toast rice and spicesAdd the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes. This will toast the rice and spices giving them a deeper, nuttier flavor. You should hear a popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

brothAdd 3 cups of chicken broth… or in this case, 3 tsp (1 Tbsp) of chicken base plus 3 cups of water. I like Better Than Bouillon because it’s less expensive than buying cans/boxes of broth and way better quality than the little cubes.

bay leafAdd the bay leaf as well. Give everything a good stir, place a lid on top, and increase the heat to high. Bring it up to a full boil then immediately turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

steamed riceAfter 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed (do not remove the lid) for another 10 minutes. When I finally opened it up, the bay leaf was right on top, pretty as a picture!

fluff with forkFluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

1. Stephanie says:

So far this is the first recipe I try from your blog, but I’ve made it twice. This is the most delicious rice ever!! Thank you for such and awesome recipe! I’m looking forward to trying many other recipes!

2. Courtney says:

I have made this rice several times, but it makes so much I found a fun way to treat the leftovers! My partner and I only ate about 1/4 of the rice the night I made it, so the next night I used the Dragon Noodle recipe but substituted the noodles with the left over rice and added a 10oz box of frozen peas and carrots. IT WAS AMAZING FRIED RICE! Note: I had so much rice left over I doubled the butter, egg, and sauce component amounts. Please try this!

3. Veronika says:

I made this along with the honey balsamic chicken tenders, and oh my goodness, this really is the best rice I’ve ever had. Maybe just short of Chipotle rice… but certainly much cheaper! Despite living with roommates I mostly cook for myself, so I froze most of it, but I couldn’t stop sneaking extra forkfuls while waiting for it to cool down. My roommates got home later that night and the next day asked me what smelled so good! I seriously think I could eat this nonstop.

4. I love the community in the comments! I don’t have all the ingredients that the recipe calls for, so I substituted the turmeric, cumin and cinnamon for curry powder, and cooked it all in the rice cooker. Turned out very well! I paired the rice with 5-spice slow cooker chicken – sooo goood.

5. One word… AWESOME!!! I veganized this dish by using Not Chick’n Natural Vegan “Chicken” Bouillon Cubes by Edward & Sons and some Earth Balance and it was out of this galaxy good!

6. Paul Hughes says:

Wow!!!! I was a bit sceptical about this recipe as I have tried yellow rice recipes in the past and have always been disappointed but not this time! This recipe is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks, this will be a regular item on our menu!

7. I made this recipe with brown rice, as it was all I had, the flavor was great. The problem, however, was that the rice could have been cooked more. I am wondering how much more I should cook the rice when using brown rice? Also to note, I used vegetable base (better than bullion) and it came out great.

• Usually brown rice needs more liquid AND more cooking time, so I’d try increasing the broth to 3.5 cups and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Don’t forget about the ten minute rest with the lid in place at the end, too. :)

8. Hannah says:

Well, Beth, I have been trying and loving your recipes for months, without ever leaving a comment… My silence must end at this rice. It is out of this world! Just delicious! The smell was incredible. Thank you so much for your fantastic blog, and always wonderful recipes, I am so grateful.

9. It smelled amazing, but for all that, I thought that it was kind of tasteless in the end. Too little seasoning for too much rice. I obviously was expecting a more bold flavor. My company took polite portions, no one was going back for seconds. Perhaps onion in addition to garlic would also enhance the flavor.

10. Heather says:

Love this rice! The next day I made a cold rice salad with green olives, golden raisins, feta, and some leftover 5 spice chicken(your recipe). Super yummy!

11. Whit says:

This was delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

12. I’ve been making this for over a year now and it’s a top hit every time. My bf is a picky eater and loves this recipe. Sometimes I make it because I want my apt to smell awesome. I like to add frozen peas to it. So amazing!

13. Vickie says:

I just found your website a couple of weeks ago. Everything sounds so delish! I tried this jasmine rice recipe first. So very, very good!! Kids loved it too so that’s a bonus!! I have never cooked or eaten jasmine rice before making this recipe. I don’t know if I will ever buy plain white rice again!! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

14. Taylor says:

Very tasty. I used basmati rice (it’s what I had on hand) and threw everything in the pot, gave it a stir, and let it do it’s thing.

• Aha! This is what I came here to find, I have a ton of basmati rice that I use for pilau and I am glad it would work with this recipe

15. Reeia says:

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe! What would you suggest is the best meat to pair it with for a meal (chicken, beef, pork, fish)? I’m not familiar with the flavour of turmeric. Thanks!

16. This recipe looks easy and great tasting. I’m going to try it with arborio and make a risotto version with these flavors. I like jasmine but arborio is what i have on hand.

Thanks for the recipe!

17. Don't know says:

Ya, it looks like Arabic rice. Nothing new you can’t do, but I choose Redmond 4500 multicooker as the way of cooking – change a time of cooking and the taste is absolutely different!

18. I made this last night and am OBSESSED. I had a huge serving last night while it was still warm and I reheated some today for my dinner at work. It reheated amazingly and the flavors are out of this world!

19. rizzie says:

This is making my mouth water! Do you think it will freeze ok? I saw that tbe cashew version is freezable…

20. Gerard says:

I’ve tried this with a couple of cloves and cardamom pods and a small handful of raisins, and I’ve been pretty happy with the outcome. (I was using basmati, though…)

21. Mary says:

My children love this recipe sooo much and it is so easy. I am teaching my daughter to make it.

I will probably mince the garlic, but if I am not available, do you have an estimate of how much bottled pre-minced garlic would be the equivalent of 1/2 T of fresh garlic?

Love your site!

22. I made this last night. It was delicious! had it with some grilled pork chops and sauteed spinach. It was so nice to have rice with so much flavor minus the gravy. Saving a lot of calories this way!

23. Another good rule of thumb (literally) is place one cup of rice in a pan, gently pour in water or broth (try to disturb the rice as liitle as possible while doing it) until it is about 1″ above the level of the rice. Boil until the water has reached the level of the rice, and then remove it immediately and cover it for 20 minutes. It is one of the best ways to get the “sticky rice” used in many Asian recipes. If you don’t have a basic visual in your head of what an inch looks like, use the first joint of your finger to measure the cold water. It is usually about an inch.
    It turns out perfectly every time, but the key is to remove it as as soon as the water has boiled down to the level of the rice!

24. Julia says:

Yum! This is good enough to eat on its own. Didn’t change a thing–although I might try it with basmati rice in the rice cooker next time!

25. Jennifer says:

What is a serving size of rice? thank you

26. Bethany says:

I have made this twice now. I love it! I’ve been getting a lot of leafy greens in my CSA lately, and I just love stir fried greens on top of this rice. It was meant to be. Last night I added scrambled eggs to my bowl. Oh, and of course siracha is always nice.

27. Excellent and simple recipe. I searched long and hard for a turmeric seasoned rice recipe. I came across this one and my family loves it. I switched out the butter for oil (health reasons) and it is still really good.

28. I used this method and all of the same spices with brown basmati rice and it was wonderful!

I did have to cook it twice as long, but I expected a longer cooking time with brown rice and also I’m at 3300 feet elevation.

29. Peggy says:

Fantastic recipe. Made it the first time yesterday and very pleased with the result. We’re currently overseas and tumeric is a native spice, but I’d never used it. Lucky me, I did have it in my pantry! I used water rather than broth and followed the cooking instructions up to toasting the rice and spices, then transferred to our rice cooker. It turned out great!

Thanks for another yummy recipe :)

30. Ok, this is a question in general. Do you rinse your rice before you cook it? I keep hearing that you should, but I’ve never done it (because I’m lazy at heart), and I’m not sure what difference it makes.

• I’ve never done it either (also because I’m lazy). I think the thought is that it will remove dirt and dust from the rice. I’ve heard that you should swish it in water a few times or until the water stays clear, although the few times I’ve tried the water just keeps getting cloudy and never really stays clear.

• Caroline says:

It usually takes about 3 changes of water for me. The main difference I’ve found is that if you wash and then soak the rice for about 15-30 minutes, it cooks 5-10 min faster (you would use 1Tb less water per 15 min soaked), and your grains of rice don’t stick together.

From what I’ve read, this to be more desirable for Basmati rice dishes than Jasmine rice dishes, however. :) Either way it’ll still be delicious.

31. Valerie says:

Do you think vegetable bouillon would work fine? Would you tweak the spices in any way to achieve a similar flavor? Thanks so much!

32. George says:

Any thoughts on using Saffron vs Tumeric?

33. Stephanie says:

Wait! I just realized I used basmati rice, not jasmine. Disregard!

34. Stephanie says:

This is the first time a Budget Bytes recipe did not work for me. I opened the pot and the rice was undercooked and half-filled with water. I think my lowest setting was too low.

• Yeah, it’s a little tricky finding the right setting on your stove top because every stove will be slightly different (and the thickness/weight of your pot will also make a difference). Basically, you want it to still be gently simmering when you turn it down, but the lowest heat that will keep it simmering.

35. My wife started making this rice about two months ago, and HOLY MOLY, it’s freaking delicious! It’s absolutely the best rice we’ve ever had at home (we love going out for Indian food), and we’ll absolutely only make this until we get sick of it (which I don’t see happening).

I’ve also made it, and it’s incredibly easy to make. I could eat just this, for a meal. SO GOOD.

36. Can I also take parboiled rice, instead of jasmin rice?

• I haven’t ever cooked with parboiled, so I’m not sure how it would work. But, I assume that if you follow the cooking instructions on the package (just replace the water with broth), that it should work out okay. Jasmine rice in particular has a lot of flavor, though, so you’ll be missing that part.

• acki says:

I’ve cooked it now with parboiled rice, the end result looked the same like in your picture.
        But the taste was ok,nothing extremely good.
        So I wonder If I made something wrong.

You did’t used exact weight specification. Maybe I made there a mistake. I come from Germany, thats why I would find it better to see your ingredients in gram. Or maybe I took the wrong broth.. don’t know.

37. GirlWithGlasses says:

I tried this last night and I don’t think I did it right :( The butter burned a little and so did the garlic because I wasn’t paying attention. I don’t think I put enough tumeric because it wasn’t as yellow as yours so it come out a bit bland. I’m going to try to make it again. What does it taste like by the way when it’s made properly?? Thanks for the recipe!

• It’s really hard to describe the flavor. It’s really aromatic from the jasmine rice and just all around flavorful. The flavor is complex and hard to describe. :P

38. GirlWithGlasses says:

Wow this looks amazing. Can’t wait to try this. So happy I found your website lol

39. Megan says:

I made this a while ago and ended up freezing a good portion. I just defrosted it and heated it back up and am in bliss. This rice is amazing.

40. Hyacinth Alleyne says:

I just discovered jasmine rice about two months ago..This jasmine rice recipe is the best. When my daughter takes this rice to work and heats it up her coworkers think that it came from a restaurant. The aroma is out of this world and it tastes delicious too!!!!!! This was my first recipe from this site ,I will be making a lot more.
    Thank you!!!!!!

41. This rice is amazing! It will be on weekly rotation with spiced meat and homemade tortillas! Yum!
    Thanks for sharing.
    5 Stars!
    (laptop chucking a wobbly and cant change it from 1 star below. Sorry)

42. Cheri says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I did it in a rice cooker with long grain rice and it was great. I put together my normal white rice and water, then mixed all the spices in with melted butter and added it to the water and rice and turned on the rice cooker. Yum!

43. Andrea says:

Have you had any trouble doubling this recipe? Would it turn out the same? I’m planning on making it tomorrow.

44. Shelley says:

This sounded so good, used vegan butter and vegetable broth and it is fanreakintastic!! Served with California mixed veggies and Gardein meatless chicken for a 5 star meal. Love your website!

45. Becca H says:

We love love love this rice recipe! We cook it at least once every 2 weeks. We needed a Mexican rice recipe, so instead of testing the waters of a random Google recipe, we recreated this exactly, but instead of the original seasonings, we added roughly a teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, and cayenne, but no bay leaf. It was delicious and perfectly spicy! Thanks for creating a wonderfully interchangeable recipe. We love it.

46. I expect I will be cooking rice this way for a long time. Easy, inexpensive, and excellent. Thank you!

47. Angie M says:

Forgot to rate it, 5 stars!

48. Angie M says:

I made this a few days ago, DELICIOUS. I am going to try it with a sprouted brown rice blend I bought at costco, hopefully it will work out as well. It had so much flavour, and smelled amazing.

49. SO beyond excited to try this recipe out for dinner tomorrow. Quick question though, if I wanted to half the recipe, how would you suggest adjusting the cooking times? In half as well? Thanks!!

50. Neiha says:

This is very similar to a rice that Kashmiri Hindus eat on birthdays and some religious occasions! I’m so impressed that you came up with it on your own! One of my favorite comfort foods :)

51. Had it for lunch today. I can certify that this recipe is foolproof because I made a lot of foolish mistakes cooking it, and it still came out very nice.

My bay leaf also ended up on top. Must be a leaf thing.

The key thing here seems to be toasting the rice kernels. I never got the popping sound Beth describes, but I did end up with a lot of rice kernels looking very toasty.

Don’t get the final step. Seems to come pre-fluffed.

52. Linda says:

I just made the yello rice in a box and until now never thought to look up a recipe for it. I would really like to try it in my rice cooker but every time i use it the rice sticks and burn at the bottom. Is there anything in THIS recipe that I would need to change in order to cook in a rice cooker?

• I don’t believe there is anything you’d need to change, but I’m not really experienced with rice cookers so I can’t say for sure. If rice is sticking and burning at the bottom of your rice cooker, it sounds like it’s not heating correctly or evenly. It might be a problem with the machine itself.

• Try soaking your rice in warm water for about twenty minutes first. Then I give it a rinse until the water is (mostly) clear. This helps with the brown crust that likes to form at the bottom of the rice cooker.

53. I mostly eat brown rice. Is this recipe going to work with brown jasmine?

54. Melissa says:

I don’t know if I did something wrong, I followed the recipe to a T, but I was very dissappointed. It turned out very bland and almost tasted like plain white rice. I love the boxed yellow rice with seasoning and I was hoping this would be at least almost as good so I could get away from the MSG, etc.

• Hmm, did you by chance use low sodium chicken broth? Salt can really make flavors pop, so if there wasn’t as much it may have seemed bland. And jasmine rice? It has such a delicious aroma. Or, maybe your taste buds are just different than mine and you might prefer the dish with more spices. :)

55. Rachelle says:

Add some half & half and honey to some leftover rice and it’s a delicious breakfast!

56. Heidi says:

I was wondering if anyone has tried making this in a crock pot. Any suggestions? I have made it the traditional way several times and love it. I usually double the spices, however. Thanks!

57. This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if you can use any mixing bowl (that’s not plastic) on the stove? Does it have to be stainless steel? I’m paranoid about burning the bottom haha.

• I don’t think I’d suggest using a mixing bowl on the stove top. Most of them are not thick enough to withstand the heat.

58. Dallian says:

Hey, I’m wondering how well you figure this recipe would work with beef broth! I’m tempted to try it but I thought I’d ask first!

59. JSpangs says:

Beth when your recipes call for a tablespoon or more of minced garlic, do you use fresh garlic and mince it yourself or do you buy that jar of minced garlic from the grocery store? I’ve got a jar that I’m trying to use up but I rarely taste the garlic in any recipes when I use the jar. What do you suggest?

• For the recipes where I list garlic in tablespoons, I was using the kind in the jar (I went through a phase of using this, but I’m back on fresh garlic again ;) ). If you’re using fresh, I’d say that 2-3 cloves minced is about a tablespoon. Garlic is pretty forgiving, though, so if you get a little more or a little less, it will probably still taste great.

60. Made this at 3am because our fridge was getting low and boyfriend and I were hungry. Very good! Had to use what we had on hand, so I substituted curry powder for the turmeric and used slightly old chicken bouillon cubes. I toasted the rice a little too long and when I added the broth, the whole pot billowed with smoke and steam (wasn’t sure if that was supposed to happen!). Rice was also a undercooked, but I think that comes from my fear of overcooking rice and getting a soggy, sticky result. Now I know what to do for next time!

61. Solla Bolla says:

very good

62. Wow!!! It was SO good. I ate it with an indian butter chicken. What a dinner. :)

63. Charly says:

So delicious!

64. Lisa says:

Do you think I could use Lard instead of butter? I am on a dairy/soy/wheat/egg free diet.

65. I almost wish this had a longer cooking time, just because my apartment smelled SO GOOD while it was cooking.

I love your website, it has changed the way I both buy, and cook food. Thanks so much!

66. Oh *man* is this good. I used goat butter instead of cow butter. If you like fragrant rice, I suggest trying goat butter–it REALLY adds something special even to otherwise plain rice and is not overwhelmingly goaty.

67. Briana – I’ve never tried to make rice in a slow cooker, so I’m really not sure. Interesting idea, though!

68. could you make this in the slow cooker?

I eat this two two three times a week (literally).

I make this all the time and it comes out great. Try frying up some of the white part of the scallion with the garlic. I’ve also used saffron to add a very exotic flavour. using currents adds some sweetness as well.

71. This came out brilliant when I made it :)

this. looks. delicious.

So I’ve been making this recipe for about six months with regular rice (I bought a giant sack and had to use it all up), and I was finally able to try it with jasmine rice. Wow! If you can, try it with jasmine rice. It’s really good with regular rice but spectacular with jasmine rice.

74. I’m going to take your word for it that this is the best rice ever and will definitely make this soon!

75. [email protected] says:

Dear Beth, I absolutely love, love your site!! I have never “followed” anyone before, UNTIL I found you! It’s brillant. I haven’t made anything yet but believe me I am now. There is so much information, I feel like a kid in a candy shop!! Also, thanks so much for breaking down the cost of everything. I think most of all want a great savings. Keep the recipes coming!

This recipe should be under Asian not indian because basmati rice is usually used with Indian cuisine. Jasmine is primarily used in Asian cuisine

77. Just made this and I have to agree – this is the best!!! Thank you – perfect for the day after Chinese New Year’s!!

78. Leeanne says:

Just made this last night with brown jasmine rice. So good! It did need an extra five minutes though, probably because of the brown rice.

79. Made this last night with the dal nirvana for work lunches and was a big success! Adapted it to use in the rice cooker so I didn’t have to worry about it and it worked perfectly, just like you get from an Indian restaurant. Who knew rice could be so delicious?!

80. I think it’s worth a shot to try it with quinoa! I’ve only cooked quinoa once or twice so I’m not that familiar with it, but I think it will work.

Do you think this would work with other grains? I’ve been on a quinoa kick lately and I was wondering if you think this recipe would work subbing out the rice for quinoa.

This is definitely the best rice I’ve ever had! Thank you so much for posting these amazing recipes! I’ve made this on the stove and in the rice cooker and both ways work fantastically. I’m going to have to buy a bigger container of Turmeric :)

83. I commented on this before, but I just wanted to let you know that I subsituting olive oil for the butter and cooked this for my two-year-old nephew who is allergic to gluten, soy, dairy, oats, peanuts, tomatoes, and more. His parents are always looking for new, flavorful, recipes that he can eat. I added some chicken and vegetables to make it a meal, and he ate two bowls of it. Everyone loved it. Thanks again for this brilliant recipe.

84. Made this tonight with the dal nirvana. I wussed out and just used store-bought naan (so expensive!), but it was all so amazing. Next time, I’ll try your naan recipe. Thanks for posting!

85. I did this in my rice cooker and it was brilliant. Had it with turmeric chicken, so it was Turmeric Party.

86. Jennifer says:

You are right – this is the best rice ever! I have been making big batches of it and taking it to work for my “Lunch Of The Week.” I usually heat it up a little then add halved grape tomatoes and avocado. It is so good!

87. I just made this rice tonight along with your naan recipe and a chicken curry recipe I already had… With your tasties thrown in the meal was amazing! Thank you so much, Beth!!

88. I made this last night for dinner (with chicken satays and a spicy peanut dip), and it really is delicious! All the men in my house loved it, too. I think next time the only thing I’d add would be a diced onion for a little bit of crunch. Thanks! (The kitchen still smells so fragrant this morning, too.)

89. Awesome looking rice, and I love that it uses turmeric, not only for the color, but because turmeric is so healthy in so many ways. The cumin with cinnamon sounds intriguing. I’ll use homemade broth instead of the base, only because I haven’t figured out which broth/bouillon additive hates my gut (literally – I’ve figured out carrageenan, annatto, and nitrate/nitrite, but there’s at least one more additive/dye that ‘attacks my gut’), hence my learning to cook everything for myself with sites like yours – THANKS!!

I tried this tonight and it was yummy! It made my house smell like a great Indian restaurant. Next time, I am planning to add raisins, almond slivers, and some peas to give it some oomph! Thanks for the recipe, can’t beat the price!

91. I love your blog. I am always bookmarking and printing. Trying to find time to try almost EVERYTHING. Keep it up!

92. I can’t wait to try this. I found your site last night and this is on the menu for tonight. There is an awesome local farm in my neck of the woods that grows Jasmine rice. The spices will be a perfect compliment to it.

I a cajun girl and love rice of any type, eat it with everything you can imagine. Even things that don’t make sense sometimes (well to my husband, anyway). This looks and sounds delicious, I’m gonna try this for sure.

94. Almonstnakedape – yep, it would be every bit as good with vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth!

95. Could you replace the chicken stock with vegetable bouillon, eg http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body-soul/swiss-vegetable-boullion.asp, as I’d like to make this to go along side a vegetable curry I will be cooking for veggie friends

96. I had a feeling that lovely color was from tumeric. It’s like nature’s own food coloring. Beautiful looking rice!

97. I am 100% trying this, it looks divine and I trust your review whole-heartedly! It looks like a fabulous dish in its own right, but with a curry…id be one happy chappy. Will let you know when i get round to trying it! :)

98. That looks delicious, and so much better than buying one of those flavor packets or box mixes… I’d love to see you do a series of those, actually, if you’re ever in need of more ideas! =)

99. I love it – it’s like a cheat sheet for the seasoning packet that comes in the rice mix box. But homemade is always better! The cinnamon sounds fantastic…. I’ve also heard that cinnamon helps keep your blood sugar low when you eat carbs?

sounds delicious.
    genevievvve.wordpress.com

100. you remove a lot of starch when you wash rice so I would personally never do it.

101. Sohail says:

Just wondering, my mom always tells me, you HAVE to wash the rice before preparing it!

You think it’s really that important to wash the rice as you skipped that step to toast the rice?

thanks in advance, AWESOME BLOG!

102. Kelly says:

I was thinking the same thing as Caroline when I was reading the cost breakdown. Thank you for enlightening me to the cheaper side of chicken broth :)

I’m addicted to just plain jasmine rice!! Definitely going to try this twist…SOON!!

104. You know, I just don’t use tumeric enough! This is a great inspiration — I love cooking rice and quinoa with the spices right in the water, and often make green rice with pureed cilantro and garlic. But yellow rice is a new one on me, and I’ve definitely got to try it.

105. This looks delicious! Love it! I was reading your recipe, and I asked myself, “where can you get chicken broth for 27 cents?” And… then you showed me! LOL. I actually have Better than Boullion, so that is perfect! Thanks!

106. I LOVE Jasmine rice too!! I could eat it endlessly :))

I will have to try this!

Yay for RICE! I can’t wait to try it :)

108. Scrummy!
    I’m thinking that this will be our evening meal tonight – thank you!

xx Felicity

109. I make this all the time except I cheat and just use pre-mixed yellow curry powder, some paprika, and a smidge of cayenne in addition to the chicken bouillon. It’s really good with some chopped up carrot and broccoli and some onion or scallions (but also works with whatever veggies you’ve got around… those just taste the best with the spices). A great pairing for this is pork chop and some roasted spicy curry sweet potatoes.