Yellow Jasmine Rice

Okay, this is a pretty big statement to make, but… This is the best rice I’ve ever had.

Yep. The flavor was simply out of this world. The aroma as it cooked almost gave me a high. Plain white rice is dead to me now.

If you follow the blog you’re probably familiar with how much I love jasmine rice. I don’t know how I lived my whole life without knowing about it, but since discovering it a year or two ago, I just can’t stop. It’s incredible. If you haven’t tried jasmine rice yet, get to the store NOW and buy some.

Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the Asian section or in the rice section (usually on the bottom shelf). It can be pricy if you buy one of those small specialty brand containers but if you buy the actual Asian brand (in large bags, bottom shelf), its just as inexpensive as regular rice. Also check bulk bins. Some stores will have jasmine rice (white AND brown) in bulk.

Anyway, I decided to kick up the jasmine rice by adding a few spices and something magical happened. The turmeric and cumin added to the rich, nutty flavor of the jasmine rice and the little pinch of cinnamon added just a hint of spicy sweetness… like hitting the cymbals on a drum kit. The first bite was so good, I swear I saw angels.

Okay, if you haven’t been weirded out by my rice-love manifesto, here’s the recipe:

Yellow Jasmine Rice

yellow jasmine rice

yellow jasmine rice

• 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
  • 3 cups chicken broth $0.27
  • 1 tsp turmeric $0.05
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
  • ¼ tsp ground cumin $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  • 1 whole bay leaf $0.05
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.15
  1. Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.
  2. Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices. You may hear a slight popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.
  3. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and one bay leaf to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer (with the lid in place) for 20 minutes.
  4. After letting it simmer for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest (do not remove the lid) for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

spicesThis is the magical mixture that brought the jasmine rice from delicious to heavenly. Butter, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and a bay leaf.

melt butter w/spicesMelt the butter in a pot along with the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic.

toast rice and spicesAdd the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes. This will toast the rice and spices giving them a deeper, nuttier flavor. You should hear a popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

brothAdd 3 cups of chicken broth… or in this case, 3 tsp (1 Tbsp) of chicken base plus 3 cups of water. I like Better Than Bouillon because it’s less expensive than buying cans/boxes of broth and way better quality than the little cubes.

bay leafAdd the bay leaf as well. Give everything a good stir, place a lid on top, and increase the heat to high. Bring it up to a full boil then immediately turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

steamed riceAfter 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed (do not remove the lid) for another 10 minutes. When I finally opened it up, the bay leaf was right on top, pretty as a picture!

fluff with forkFluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

1. This was great. I think I’m going to try this with Arborio rice and make risotto. Add lamb I’m pretty clear it will be deliscious.
    Nice blog!

2. Iben says:

I loved these! The taste reminded me of Knorr’s Indian Rice (available in Denmark but cant find it when googling it). There you brown some ground meat, add the spice package (which contains spices, raisins, peas and red peppers i think), then water and rice and you cook it all together. Now I would like to try to make that myself. I was wondering if you think it is possible to cook it all together like that? And if so, are more spices and water needed? :-)

• Yes, you probably could! I would probably increase the spices a smidge, since you have more food to cover. Although you probably could cook the browned meat with the rice, I’d probably stir it in at the end to prevent it from getting soggy. The vegetables and raisins I’d cook with the rice, though.

• Marian K says:

Hi Beth, I am not sure here in NZ we can get chicken broth, I have never seen it. So was wondering if substituting chicken stock would work the same? We can buy that in liquid form, so thought I might give it a go. Thanks :-)

3. JUDY says:

This rice is wonderful. Made it with homemade chicken broth so I added 1 tsp. salt per cup of broth. I’m excited to try coconut oil next time
    I used my InstantPot and followed their directions for the amount of liquid which is equal parts jasmine rice to water. There is very little evaporation since the pot seals. I used the 4 minute manual cycle which took about 10 minutes to come up to temperature, 4 minutes at pressure, and 10 minutes cool down. Excellent flavor, distinct yet versatile.

4. Allison says:

Add me to the list of people that love this recipe! I made it exactly as written and served with some grilled beef/veggie kebabs. So delicious and a great way to add interest to a meal!!!

5. Sharon says:

I *love* this recipe! Simple and delicious. My family gobbles it up! I’ve also made it with plain white rice when I didn’t have jasmine on hand and it worked well, too.

6. Janine says:

This is the best rice to have as an accompaniment to so many dishes, indian, chinese, Italian it goes with anything and is absolutely delicious. I make mine in my rice cooker just add it all in and walk away. So easy ;)

7. Christine says:

Believe the hype! My family and I loved this rice. Made no adjustments to the recipe and it was perfectly fragrant and delicious.

8. Moretta says:

This is very savory and delicious. My daughter likes it cold the next day, too. A few times I’ve made a mistake and added twice as much cumin and it gives it a different, smokier flavor that is also tasty.

9. Charleen says:

This rice is the bomb. The end.

10. Jenne says:

Hi Beth–I tried Jasmine rice after reading your review, but I have to say that Basmati is still my favorite (not that Jasmine rice wasn’t good, it is VERY good per your instructions). If you haven’t tried Basmati, it is SO worth it to go to one of your local Indian stores and pick some up–It is the same rice that is used in Indian Biryani recipes, and it is my personal favorite. I am going to try your preparation using the Basmati I have on hand–I’m sure it will be great, just like every other recipe of yours I’ve tried–I have your book and it’s WONDERFUL btw– :)

11. Marybeth says:

I think I’m a little late in the game making this recipe, but I plan to for dinner tonight! I am wondering if I use plain white rice if I should alter the amount of chicken broth I use? I generally cook plain rice with double the amount of liquid to rice.

• I find that jasmine and regular white rice take the same amount of water. Some people do prefer to use a 2:1 ratio when cooking rice, so if you usually do, I’d stick with that. I used to do 2:1, but I’ve gradually changed to 1.5:1 over the years because I like the slightly more firm texture better.

12. Wow, this was absolutely amazing! Made it as a side and it’s just so wonderful and inexpensive. Made with coconut oil instead of butter, turned out super flavorful and light!

Can’t wait to make it again :D

13. WOW! This rice dish lived up to all the wonderful reviews. It’s hard to describe all the amazing flavors you taste when you take a bite. I am so pleased with this dish! GREAT recipe!

14. Stephanie says:

So far this is the first recipe I try from your blog, but I’ve made it twice. This is the most delicious rice ever!! Thank you for such and awesome recipe! I’m looking forward to trying many other recipes!

15. Courtney says:

I have made this rice several times, but it makes so much I found a fun way to treat the leftovers! My partner and I only ate about 1/4 of the rice the night I made it, so the next night I used the Dragon Noodle recipe but substituted the noodles with the left over rice and added a 10oz box of frozen peas and carrots. IT WAS AMAZING FRIED RICE! Note: I had so much rice left over I doubled the butter, egg, and sauce component amounts. Please try this!

16. Veronika says:

I made this along with the honey balsamic chicken tenders, and oh my goodness, this really is the best rice I’ve ever had. Maybe just short of Chipotle rice… but certainly much cheaper! Despite living with roommates I mostly cook for myself, so I froze most of it, but I couldn’t stop sneaking extra forkfuls while waiting for it to cool down. My roommates got home later that night and the next day asked me what smelled so good! I seriously think I could eat this nonstop.

17. I love the community in the comments! I don’t have all the ingredients that the recipe calls for, so I substituted the turmeric, cumin and cinnamon for curry powder, and cooked it all in the rice cooker. Turned out very well! I paired the rice with 5-spice slow cooker chicken – sooo goood.

18. One word… AWESOME!!! I veganized this dish by using Not Chick’n Natural Vegan “Chicken” Bouillon Cubes by Edward & Sons and some Earth Balance and it was out of this galaxy good!

19. Paul Hughes says:

Wow!!!! I was a bit sceptical about this recipe as I have tried yellow rice recipes in the past and have always been disappointed but not this time! This recipe is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks, this will be a regular item on our menu!

20. I made this recipe with brown rice, as it was all I had, the flavor was great. The problem, however, was that the rice could have been cooked more. I am wondering how much more I should cook the rice when using brown rice? Also to note, I used vegetable base (better than bullion) and it came out great.

• Usually brown rice needs more liquid AND more cooking time, so I’d try increasing the broth to 3.5 cups and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Don’t forget about the ten minute rest with the lid in place at the end, too. :)

21. Hannah says:

Well, Beth, I have been trying and loving your recipes for months, without ever leaving a comment… My silence must end at this rice. It is out of this world! Just delicious! The smell was incredible. Thank you so much for your fantastic blog, and always wonderful recipes, I am so grateful.

22. It smelled amazing, but for all that, I thought that it was kind of tasteless in the end. Too little seasoning for too much rice. I obviously was expecting a more bold flavor. My company took polite portions, no one was going back for seconds. Perhaps onion in addition to garlic would also enhance the flavor.