Yellow Jasmine Rice

Okay, this is a pretty big statement to make, but… This is the best rice I’ve ever had.

Yep. The flavor was simply out of this world. The aroma as it cooked almost gave me a high. Plain white rice is dead to me now.

If you follow the blog you’re probably familiar with how much I love jasmine rice. I don’t know how I lived my whole life without knowing about it, but since discovering it a year or two ago, I just can’t stop. It’s incredible. If you haven’t tried jasmine rice yet, get to the store NOW and buy some.

Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the Asian section or in the rice section (usually on the bottom shelf). It can be pricy if you buy one of those small specialty brand containers but if you buy the actual Asian brand (in large bags, bottom shelf), its just as inexpensive as regular rice. Also check bulk bins. Some stores will have jasmine rice (white AND brown) in bulk.

Anyway, I decided to kick up the jasmine rice by adding a few spices and something magical happened. The turmeric and cumin added to the rich, nutty flavor of the jasmine rice and the little pinch of cinnamon added just a hint of spicy sweetness… like hitting the cymbals on a drum kit. The first bite was so good, I swear I saw angels.

Okay, if you haven’t been weirded out by my rice-love manifesto, here’s the recipe:

Yellow Jasmine Rice

yellow jasmine rice

yellow jasmine rice

• 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
  • 3 cups chicken broth $0.27
  • 1 tsp turmeric $0.05
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
  • ¼ tsp ground cumin $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  • 1 whole bay leaf $0.05
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.15
  1. Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.
  2. Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices. You may hear a slight popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.
  3. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and one bay leaf to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer (with the lid in place) for 20 minutes.
  4. After letting it simmer for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest (do not remove the lid) for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

spicesThis is the magical mixture that brought the jasmine rice from delicious to heavenly. Butter, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and a bay leaf.

melt butter w/spicesMelt the butter in a pot along with the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic.

toast rice and spicesAdd the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes. This will toast the rice and spices giving them a deeper, nuttier flavor. You should hear a popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

brothAdd 3 cups of chicken broth… or in this case, 3 tsp (1 Tbsp) of chicken base plus 3 cups of water. I like Better Than Bouillon because it’s less expensive than buying cans/boxes of broth and way better quality than the little cubes.

bay leafAdd the bay leaf as well. Give everything a good stir, place a lid on top, and increase the heat to high. Bring it up to a full boil then immediately turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

steamed riceAfter 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed (do not remove the lid) for another 10 minutes. When I finally opened it up, the bay leaf was right on top, pretty as a picture!

fluff with forkFluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

1. Hyacinth Alleyne says:

I just discovered jasmine rice about two months ago..This jasmine rice recipe is the best. When my daughter takes this rice to work and heats it up her coworkers think that it came from a restaurant. The aroma is out of this world and it tastes delicious too!!!!!! This was my first recipe from this site ,I will be making a lot more.
    Thank you!!!!!!

2. This rice is amazing! It will be on weekly rotation with spiced meat and homemade tortillas! Yum!
    Thanks for sharing.
    5 Stars!
    (laptop chucking a wobbly and cant change it from 1 star below. Sorry)

3. Cheri says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I did it in a rice cooker with long grain rice and it was great. I put together my normal white rice and water, then mixed all the spices in with melted butter and added it to the water and rice and turned on the rice cooker. Yum!

4. Andrea says:

Have you had any trouble doubling this recipe? Would it turn out the same? I’m planning on making it tomorrow.

5. Shelley says:

This sounded so good, used vegan butter and vegetable broth and it is fanreakintastic!! Served with California mixed veggies and Gardein meatless chicken for a 5 star meal. Love your website!

6. Becca H says:

We love love love this rice recipe! We cook it at least once every 2 weeks. We needed a Mexican rice recipe, so instead of testing the waters of a random Google recipe, we recreated this exactly, but instead of the original seasonings, we added roughly a teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, and cayenne, but no bay leaf. It was delicious and perfectly spicy! Thanks for creating a wonderfully interchangeable recipe. We love it.

7. I expect I will be cooking rice this way for a long time. Easy, inexpensive, and excellent. Thank you!

8. Angie M says:

Forgot to rate it, 5 stars!

9. Angie M says:

I made this a few days ago, DELICIOUS. I am going to try it with a sprouted brown rice blend I bought at costco, hopefully it will work out as well. It had so much flavour, and smelled amazing.

10. SO beyond excited to try this recipe out for dinner tomorrow. Quick question though, if I wanted to half the recipe, how would you suggest adjusting the cooking times? In half as well? Thanks!!

11. Neiha says:

This is very similar to a rice that Kashmiri Hindus eat on birthdays and some religious occasions! I’m so impressed that you came up with it on your own! One of my favorite comfort foods :)

12. Had it for lunch today. I can certify that this recipe is foolproof because I made a lot of foolish mistakes cooking it, and it still came out very nice.

My bay leaf also ended up on top. Must be a leaf thing.

The key thing here seems to be toasting the rice kernels. I never got the popping sound Beth describes, but I did end up with a lot of rice kernels looking very toasty.

Don’t get the final step. Seems to come pre-fluffed.

13. Linda says:

I just made the yello rice in a box and until now never thought to look up a recipe for it. I would really like to try it in my rice cooker but every time i use it the rice sticks and burn at the bottom. Is there anything in THIS recipe that I would need to change in order to cook in a rice cooker?

• I don’t believe there is anything you’d need to change, but I’m not really experienced with rice cookers so I can’t say for sure. If rice is sticking and burning at the bottom of your rice cooker, it sounds like it’s not heating correctly or evenly. It might be a problem with the machine itself.

14. I mostly eat brown rice. Is this recipe going to work with brown jasmine?

15. Melissa says:

I don’t know if I did something wrong, I followed the recipe to a T, but I was very dissappointed. It turned out very bland and almost tasted like plain white rice. I love the boxed yellow rice with seasoning and I was hoping this would be at least almost as good so I could get away from the MSG, etc.

• Hmm, did you by chance use low sodium chicken broth? Salt can really make flavors pop, so if there wasn’t as much it may have seemed bland. And jasmine rice? It has such a delicious aroma. Or, maybe your taste buds are just different than mine and you might prefer the dish with more spices. :)

16. Rachelle says:

Add some half & half and honey to some leftover rice and it’s a delicious breakfast!

17. Heidi says:

I was wondering if anyone has tried making this in a crock pot. Any suggestions? I have made it the traditional way several times and love it. I usually double the spices, however. Thanks!

18. This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if you can use any mixing bowl (that’s not plastic) on the stove? Does it have to be stainless steel? I’m paranoid about burning the bottom haha.

• I don’t think I’d suggest using a mixing bowl on the stove top. Most of them are not thick enough to withstand the heat.

19. Dallian says:

Hey, I’m wondering how well you figure this recipe would work with beef broth! I’m tempted to try it but I thought I’d ask first!

20. JSpangs says:

Beth when your recipes call for a tablespoon or more of minced garlic, do you use fresh garlic and mince it yourself or do you buy that jar of minced garlic from the grocery store? I’ve got a jar that I’m trying to use up but I rarely taste the garlic in any recipes when I use the jar. What do you suggest?

• For the recipes where I list garlic in tablespoons, I was using the kind in the jar (I went through a phase of using this, but I’m back on fresh garlic again ;) ). If you’re using fresh, I’d say that 2-3 cloves minced is about a tablespoon. Garlic is pretty forgiving, though, so if you get a little more or a little less, it will probably still taste great.