yellow jasmine rice

Okay, this is a pretty big statement to make, but… This is the best rice I’ve ever had.

Yep. The flavor was simply out of this world. The aroma as it cooked almost gave me a high. Plain white rice is dead to me now.

If you follow the blog you’re probably familiar with how much I love jasmine rice. I don’t know how I lived my whole life without knowing about it, but since discovering it a year or two ago, I just can’t stop. It’s incredible. If you haven’t tried jasmine rice yet, get to the store NOW and buy some.

Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the Asian section or in the rice section (usually on the bottom shelf). It can be pricy if you buy one of those small specialty brand containers but if you buy the actual Asian brand (in large bags, bottom shelf), its just as inexpensive as regular rice. Also check bulk bins. Some stores will have jasmine rice (white AND brown) in bulk.

Anyway, I decided to kick up the jasmine rice by adding a few spices and something magical happened. The turmeric and cumin added to the rich, nutty flavor of the jasmine rice and the little pinch of cinnamon added just a hint of spicy sweetness… like hitting the cymbals on a drum kit. The first bite was so good, I swear I saw angels.

Okay, if you haven’t been weirded out by my rice-love manifesto, here’s the recipe:

Yellow Jasmine Rice

yellow jasmine rice

yellow jasmine rice

• 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
  • 3 cups chicken broth $0.27
  • 1 tsp turmeric $0.05
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
  • ¼ tsp ground cumin $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  • 1 whole bay leaf $0.05
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.15
  1. Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.
  2. Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices. You may hear a slight popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.
  3. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and one bay leaf to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer (with the lid in place) for 20 minutes.
  4. After letting it simmer for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest (do not remove the lid) for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

spicesThis is the magical mixture that brought the jasmine rice from delicious to heavenly. Butter, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and a bay leaf.

melt butter w/spicesMelt the butter in a pot along with the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic.

toast rice and spicesAdd the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes. This will toast the rice and spices giving them a deeper, nuttier flavor. You should hear a popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

brothAdd 3 cups of chicken broth… or in this case, 3 tsp (1 Tbsp) of chicken base plus 3 cups of water. I like Better Than Bouillon because it’s less expensive than buying cans/boxes of broth and way better quality than the little cubes.

bay leafAdd the bay leaf as well. Give everything a good stir, place a lid on top, and increase the heat to high. Bring it up to a full boil then immediately turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

steamed riceAfter 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed (do not remove the lid) for another 10 minutes. When I finally opened it up, the bay leaf was right on top, pretty as a picture!

fluff with forkFluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

1. I make this all the time except I cheat and just use pre-mixed yellow curry powder, some paprika, and a smidge of cayenne in addition to the chicken bouillon. It’s really good with some chopped up carrot and broccoli and some onion or scallions (but also works with whatever veggies you’ve got around… those just taste the best with the spices). A great pairing for this is pork chop and some roasted spicy curry sweet potatoes.

2. Scrummy!
    I’m thinking that this will be our evening meal tonight – thank you!

xx Felicity

Yay for RICE! I can’t wait to try it :)

4. I LOVE Jasmine rice too!! I could eat it endlessly :))

I will have to try this!

5. This looks delicious! Love it! I was reading your recipe, and I asked myself, “where can you get chicken broth for 27 cents?” And… then you showed me! LOL. I actually have Better than Boullion, so that is perfect! Thanks!

6. You know, I just don’t use tumeric enough! This is a great inspiration — I love cooking rice and quinoa with the spices right in the water, and often make green rice with pureed cilantro and garlic. But yellow rice is a new one on me, and I’ve definitely got to try it.

I’m addicted to just plain jasmine rice!! Definitely going to try this twist…SOON!!

8. Kelly says:

I was thinking the same thing as Caroline when I was reading the cost breakdown. Thank you for enlightening me to the cheaper side of chicken broth :)

9. Sohail says:

Just wondering, my mom always tells me, you HAVE to wash the rice before preparing it!

You think it’s really that important to wash the rice as you skipped that step to toast the rice?

thanks in advance, AWESOME BLOG!

10. you remove a lot of starch when you wash rice so I would personally never do it.

11. I love it – it’s like a cheat sheet for the seasoning packet that comes in the rice mix box. But homemade is always better! The cinnamon sounds fantastic…. I’ve also heard that cinnamon helps keep your blood sugar low when you eat carbs?

sounds delicious.
    genevievvve.wordpress.com

12. That looks delicious, and so much better than buying one of those flavor packets or box mixes… I’d love to see you do a series of those, actually, if you’re ever in need of more ideas! =)

13. I am 100% trying this, it looks divine and I trust your review whole-heartedly! It looks like a fabulous dish in its own right, but with a curry…id be one happy chappy. Will let you know when i get round to trying it! :)

14. I had a feeling that lovely color was from tumeric. It’s like nature’s own food coloring. Beautiful looking rice!

15. Could you replace the chicken stock with vegetable bouillon, eg http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body-soul/swiss-vegetable-boullion.asp, as I’d like to make this to go along side a vegetable curry I will be cooking for veggie friends

16. Almonstnakedape – yep, it would be every bit as good with vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth!

I a cajun girl and love rice of any type, eat it with everything you can imagine. Even things that don’t make sense sometimes (well to my husband, anyway). This looks and sounds delicious, I’m gonna try this for sure.

18. I can’t wait to try this. I found your site last night and this is on the menu for tonight. There is an awesome local farm in my neck of the woods that grows Jasmine rice. The spices will be a perfect compliment to it.

19. I love your blog. I am always bookmarking and printing. Trying to find time to try almost EVERYTHING. Keep it up!

I tried this tonight and it was yummy! It made my house smell like a great Indian restaurant. Next time, I am planning to add raisins, almond slivers, and some peas to give it some oomph! Thanks for the recipe, can’t beat the price!

21. Awesome looking rice, and I love that it uses turmeric, not only for the color, but because turmeric is so healthy in so many ways. The cumin with cinnamon sounds intriguing. I’ll use homemade broth instead of the base, only because I haven’t figured out which broth/bouillon additive hates my gut (literally – I’ve figured out carrageenan, annatto, and nitrate/nitrite, but there’s at least one more additive/dye that ‘attacks my gut’), hence my learning to cook everything for myself with sites like yours – THANKS!!

22. I made this last night for dinner (with chicken satays and a spicy peanut dip), and it really is delicious! All the men in my house loved it, too. I think next time the only thing I’d add would be a diced onion for a little bit of crunch. Thanks! (The kitchen still smells so fragrant this morning, too.)

23. I just made this rice tonight along with your naan recipe and a chicken curry recipe I already had… With your tasties thrown in the meal was amazing! Thank you so much, Beth!!

24. Jennifer says:

You are right – this is the best rice ever! I have been making big batches of it and taking it to work for my “Lunch Of The Week.” I usually heat it up a little then add halved grape tomatoes and avocado. It is so good!

25. I did this in my rice cooker and it was brilliant. Had it with turmeric chicken, so it was Turmeric Party.

26. Made this tonight with the dal nirvana. I wussed out and just used store-bought naan (so expensive!), but it was all so amazing. Next time, I’ll try your naan recipe. Thanks for posting!

27. I commented on this before, but I just wanted to let you know that I subsituting olive oil for the butter and cooked this for my two-year-old nephew who is allergic to gluten, soy, dairy, oats, peanuts, tomatoes, and more. His parents are always looking for new, flavorful, recipes that he can eat. I added some chicken and vegetables to make it a meal, and he ate two bowls of it. Everyone loved it. Thanks again for this brilliant recipe.

This is definitely the best rice I’ve ever had! Thank you so much for posting these amazing recipes! I’ve made this on the stove and in the rice cooker and both ways work fantastically. I’m going to have to buy a bigger container of Turmeric :)

Do you think this would work with other grains? I’ve been on a quinoa kick lately and I was wondering if you think this recipe would work subbing out the rice for quinoa.

30. I think it’s worth a shot to try it with quinoa! I’ve only cooked quinoa once or twice so I’m not that familiar with it, but I think it will work.

31. Made this last night with the dal nirvana for work lunches and was a big success! Adapted it to use in the rice cooker so I didn’t have to worry about it and it worked perfectly, just like you get from an Indian restaurant. Who knew rice could be so delicious?!

32. Leeanne says:

Just made this last night with brown jasmine rice. So good! It did need an extra five minutes though, probably because of the brown rice.

33. Just made this and I have to agree – this is the best!!! Thank you – perfect for the day after Chinese New Year’s!!

This recipe should be under Asian not indian because basmati rice is usually used with Indian cuisine. Jasmine is primarily used in Asian cuisine

35. anrs4you@msn.com says:

Dear Beth, I absolutely love, love your site!! I have never “followed” anyone before, UNTIL I found you! It’s brillant. I haven’t made anything yet but believe me I am now. There is so much information, I feel like a kid in a candy shop!! Also, thanks so much for breaking down the cost of everything. I think most of all want a great savings. Keep the recipes coming!

36. I’m going to take your word for it that this is the best rice ever and will definitely make this soon!

So I’ve been making this recipe for about six months with regular rice (I bought a giant sack and had to use it all up), and I was finally able to try it with jasmine rice. Wow! If you can, try it with jasmine rice. It’s really good with regular rice but spectacular with jasmine rice.

this. looks. delicious.

39. This came out brilliant when I made it :)

I make this all the time and it comes out great. Try frying up some of the white part of the scallion with the garlic. I’ve also used saffron to add a very exotic flavour. using currents adds some sweetness as well.

I eat this two two three times a week (literally).

42. could you make this in the slow cooker?

43. Briana – I’ve never tried to make rice in a slow cooker, so I’m really not sure. Interesting idea, though!

44. Oh *man* is this good. I used goat butter instead of cow butter. If you like fragrant rice, I suggest trying goat butter–it REALLY adds something special even to otherwise plain rice and is not overwhelmingly goaty.

45. I almost wish this had a longer cooking time, just because my apartment smelled SO GOOD while it was cooking.

I love your website, it has changed the way I both buy, and cook food. Thanks so much!

46. Lisa says:

Do you think I could use Lard instead of butter? I am on a dairy/soy/wheat/egg free diet.

47. Charly says:

So delicious!

48. Wow!!! It was SO good. I ate it with an indian butter chicken. What a dinner. :)

49. Solla Bolla says:

very good

50. Made this at 3am because our fridge was getting low and boyfriend and I were hungry. Very good! Had to use what we had on hand, so I substituted curry powder for the turmeric and used slightly old chicken bouillon cubes. I toasted the rice a little too long and when I added the broth, the whole pot billowed with smoke and steam (wasn’t sure if that was supposed to happen!). Rice was also a undercooked, but I think that comes from my fear of overcooking rice and getting a soggy, sticky result. Now I know what to do for next time!

51. JSpangs says:

Beth when your recipes call for a tablespoon or more of minced garlic, do you use fresh garlic and mince it yourself or do you buy that jar of minced garlic from the grocery store? I’ve got a jar that I’m trying to use up but I rarely taste the garlic in any recipes when I use the jar. What do you suggest?

• For the recipes where I list garlic in tablespoons, I was using the kind in the jar (I went through a phase of using this, but I’m back on fresh garlic again ;) ). If you’re using fresh, I’d say that 2-3 cloves minced is about a tablespoon. Garlic is pretty forgiving, though, so if you get a little more or a little less, it will probably still taste great.

52. Dallian says:

Hey, I’m wondering how well you figure this recipe would work with beef broth! I’m tempted to try it but I thought I’d ask first!

53. This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if you can use any mixing bowl (that’s not plastic) on the stove? Does it have to be stainless steel? I’m paranoid about burning the bottom haha.

• I don’t think I’d suggest using a mixing bowl on the stove top. Most of them are not thick enough to withstand the heat.

54. Heidi says:

I was wondering if anyone has tried making this in a crock pot. Any suggestions? I have made it the traditional way several times and love it. I usually double the spices, however. Thanks!

55. Rachelle says:

Add some half & half and honey to some leftover rice and it’s a delicious breakfast!

56. Melissa says:

I don’t know if I did something wrong, I followed the recipe to a T, but I was very dissappointed. It turned out very bland and almost tasted like plain white rice. I love the boxed yellow rice with seasoning and I was hoping this would be at least almost as good so I could get away from the MSG, etc.

• Hmm, did you by chance use low sodium chicken broth? Salt can really make flavors pop, so if there wasn’t as much it may have seemed bland. And jasmine rice? It has such a delicious aroma. Or, maybe your taste buds are just different than mine and you might prefer the dish with more spices. :)

57. I mostly eat brown rice. Is this recipe going to work with brown jasmine?

58. Linda says:

I just made the yello rice in a box and until now never thought to look up a recipe for it. I would really like to try it in my rice cooker but every time i use it the rice sticks and burn at the bottom. Is there anything in THIS recipe that I would need to change in order to cook in a rice cooker?

• I don’t believe there is anything you’d need to change, but I’m not really experienced with rice cookers so I can’t say for sure. If rice is sticking and burning at the bottom of your rice cooker, it sounds like it’s not heating correctly or evenly. It might be a problem with the machine itself.

59. Had it for lunch today. I can certify that this recipe is foolproof because I made a lot of foolish mistakes cooking it, and it still came out very nice.

My bay leaf also ended up on top. Must be a leaf thing.

The key thing here seems to be toasting the rice kernels. I never got the popping sound Beth describes, but I did end up with a lot of rice kernels looking very toasty.

Don’t get the final step. Seems to come pre-fluffed.

60. Neiha says:

This is very similar to a rice that Kashmiri Hindus eat on birthdays and some religious occasions! I’m so impressed that you came up with it on your own! One of my favorite comfort foods :)

61. SO beyond excited to try this recipe out for dinner tomorrow. Quick question though, if I wanted to half the recipe, how would you suggest adjusting the cooking times? In half as well? Thanks!!

62. Angie M says:

I made this a few days ago, DELICIOUS. I am going to try it with a sprouted brown rice blend I bought at costco, hopefully it will work out as well. It had so much flavour, and smelled amazing.

63. Angie M says:

Forgot to rate it, 5 stars!

64. I expect I will be cooking rice this way for a long time. Easy, inexpensive, and excellent. Thank you!

65. Becca H says:

We love love love this rice recipe! We cook it at least once every 2 weeks. We needed a Mexican rice recipe, so instead of testing the waters of a random Google recipe, we recreated this exactly, but instead of the original seasonings, we added roughly a teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, and cayenne, but no bay leaf. It was delicious and perfectly spicy! Thanks for creating a wonderfully interchangeable recipe. We love it.