Homemade Naan

And now for the much anticipated Naan recipe!

If you’re unfamiliar with naan, it is basically just an Indian style flat bread. Okay, maybe it’s not “just” flat bread. This stuff is AMAZING. It is soft, pillowy, full of lovely bubbles and so extremely versatile. You can eat this along side of a meal to sop up gravies and juices, you can make flat bread sandwiches with it, top it with tomato sauce and cheese for a quick personal pizza, use it in place of tortillas for quesadillas… the possibilities are endless!!

This recipe is so quick, easy and delicious that it is most definitely my new favorite yeast bread recipe. I can’t quite get enough of it. My favorite way to eat it so far is to use it for my breakfast quesadillas or to just melt some mozzarella in it with a slight sprinkle of garlic powder… oh, it’s divine!

Big props to The Novice Chef blog for posting the original recipe. I looked at so many recipes before making naan and this was the simplest, most delicious looking recipe that required me to buy the fewest number of ingredients (just the yogurt!).

Homemade Naan

Homemade Naan

naan

• 2 tsp dry active yeast $0.19
  • 1 tsp sugar $0.02
  • ½ cup water $0.00
  • 2½-3 cups flour $0.18
  • ½ tsp salt $0.05
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil $0.15
  • ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt $0.56
  • 1 large egg $0.12
  1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top. At that point, stir in the oil, yogurt and egg until evenly combined.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, add the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can no longer stir it with a spoon (about 1 to 1.5 cups later).
  3. At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top. Knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. I ended up using about 3 cups of flour total. The dough should be smooth and very soft but not sticky.
  4. Loosely cover the dough and let it rise until double in size (about 45 minutes). After it rises, gently flatten the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball by stretching the dough back under itself until the top is smooth and round.
  5. Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about ¼ inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the under side is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface (see photos below). Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Serve plain or brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with herbs!

TIPS: For the most bubbles, don’t roll out the ball of dough until just before it is ready to be placed in the skillet. I experimented with different skillet temperatures and found that a medium heat produces the most bubbles in the dough and does not burn the surface.

Homemade Naan

yeast sugar waterStart by dissolving the sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Allow to sit and get frothy.

yogurt oil eggThen mix in the oil, egg and greek yogurt. I was disappointed to find that I was out of regular cooking oil and had to use olive oil which is much more expensive… but it adds to the flavor so, oh well!

stir em upStir those all up until they’re well mixed.

flour saltIn a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour and salt together until they’re evenly mixed.

wet dryThen add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can’t stir it with a spoon.

kneadTurn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top and knead for 3 minutes. Add flour as needed until you have a smooth, very soft ball of dough. I used about 3 cups of flour total for the recipe.

let riseShape the dough into a ball, loosely cover and let rise until it is double in size.

cut doughAfter it has risen, flatten it out slightly and cut into 8 equal size pieces.

shape into ballShape each piece into a small, smooth ball.

roll out doughHeat a skillet over medium flame and lightly coat with non-stick spray. Roll out a ball of dough until it is 1/4 inch thick or about 6 inches in diameter.

skillet 1skillet 2skillet 3Place the rolled out dough in the hot skillet and cook on one side until large bubbles form and the side touching the skillet is golden brown.

flip naanFlip the dough over and cook on the second side until golden brown as well.

brown bubbles naanThe side that formed bubbles makes the pretty pattern characteristic of naan when it browns!

Homemade Naan

Brush the naan with melted butter, garlic butter or traditional ghee!

The small 8 oz. container of greek yogurt that I bought still hase 2/3 cup left in it which means that I can make two more batches of naan! Because yogurt is a cultured milk product, it has a long refrigerator life so I WON’T be letting it go to waste :)

Every time I go to make bread (of any kind) I remember that I want to buy a dough scraper… yet I forget every time I’m at the store! Ugh!

1. Emma says:

Made these again tonight, doubling the recipe because we had guest. They are absolutely rocking plain, but my mother came up with the genius idea of putting minced garlic, butter and cumin seeds together, melting it (the butter, but with the other ingredients in the bowl too) and using that instead of plain butter – AMAZING. We brushed it over the naans as soon as it came off the pan and grinded some salt too. Spectacular and well loved by everyone who has tried it :)

2. Tawni says:

What size/brand/type of pan did you use and where did you get it? Thanks!

• It’s a large stainless steel skillet that I got used from a garage sale of restaurant equipment, so I don’t know the brand. But, it’s very thick and heavy, which helps heat evenly.

3. Christina says:

I just made this, I had never had Naan or made it. It came out wonderfully, I used olive oil as well thanks for the recipe.

4. susanne says:

i just made these for the second time, with a couple of changes. first time i used bread flour, because that’s what i had. the dough was very springy, and the breads shrunk between rolling and baking, so they were sort of thick rounds. this time i used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups all purpose flour. the rise wasn’t as dramatic in the bowl, but the breads puffed and bubbled beautifully on the griddle. they are much thinner, more toothsome, and flavorful. i highly recommend this combo of flours.

also, the first time i tried to make rounds– so pretty! this time, i rolled them quite thin, not attempting a special shape. almost all came out sort of longish ovals, which fit really well diagonally on my two-burner iron griddle. the longish shape is great for tearing in two, or folding over.

i cut the ball of dough into 16 pieces, rolled them out thin, and have a whole lot of lovely naan.

thanks again for this recipe, beth.

5. Christina says:

Just made these to go with the moroccan lentil an veggie stew. Both turned out very very yummy, thank you so much for these great recipes.
    I changes two things: I added diced chicken to the stew and substituted the greek yogurt in the naan with quark (I’m from Germany and although we have greek yogurt here, I don’t usually have it in the fridge). Quark worked fine, too.
    I’ll definitely try more of your recipes :)

6. Jelena says:

I can’t wait to make them today. Can you please just explain at what point can I freeze them? Before or after cooking?
    Thank you so much!

• Hi jelena, they freeze great after cooking. Just make sure to let them cool completely. :)

• Jelena says:

Thanks! Dough is rising right now, regards from the other side of the planet. I looove your blog, by the way ;)

• Made these three days ago, but only cooked half of them, the remaining balls went into the freezer. This morning I took them out and let them thaw in the fridge during the day.

I must say that they actually came out much better when I cooked them this evening!

It may have to do with the buns being cooler and less elastic from the fridge, making it possible to roll them out a bit thinner than when the dough was freshly made.

• Mechanistika says:

As someone who makes Naan and Roti regularly (I’m from India) I can say with confidence that dough that has been left overnight in the fridge will make better Rotis and Naans. The lack of elasticity DEFINITELY aids in it, but my dough usually ends up thicker after a night in the fridge. Which then makes fluffier Rotis and Naans.

7. Sarah says:

Just made these earlier this afternoom and they were great! I subbed heavy cream for the yogurt and they tasted fine but I will definitely make it again with the proper ingredients to get more flavor.

I don’t know if anyone else had this issue but you may want to open a window while making these since my kitchen got a bit smokey!

8. susanne says:

yowza!!
    i’d started some curried lentils in the slow cooker ( had enough heavy, rich food for a while… plus there’s a heavy, poor person in my mirror ). thought i’d make some white rice to go with, but somehow i’ve run out. then i remember this naan recipe, and decided to give it a try. excellent decision!

i had only regular, full fat, plain yogurt so used that, and diminished the water to a scant half cup. stayed with your olive oil, though pricier– so flavorful and aromatic. the dough stirred up quickly, rose to double as promised, and was easy to handle.

feeling proud and frisky, i thought i’d cheat by using the tortilla press instead of rolling out the little rounds. bad choice. they squished out to the right shape, then immediately sprung back into a little thick round. amazing to watch them shrink between the counter and the stove :)

but no prob– rolling with a pin was simple and not at all sticky. and they kept their shape all the way (3 feet) to the stove.

i used my double burner lodge pancake griddle, and set it up over medium heat, but things were cooking too fast, so i ended up with it more medium-low. nice bubbling and wonderful flavor.

anyone thinking of trying this but saying, nah, this cannot actually be easy– go ahead and do it. so glad i did!

9. celi says:

Really excellent recipe! Tastes like the naan in a restaurant. Everyone was impressed by this bread! I can’t believe how easy this was to make!

10. melody says:

This recipe is pretty simple to follow and looked delicious so I tried it and it came out great. One thing I did though, I didn’t have yogurt available so I used whole milk instead. Still amazing…will definitely try this with yogurt but surely, this recipe will be on my dinner table everytime I have a curry dish…thanks a bunch, Beth.

11. Erin says:

Looks amazing! How long does the dough stay fresh? Can you make these a day ahead of time or should they be eaten ASAP?

12. I love this recipe! I’ve made it three times now, and each time is better than the last. I’ll make a batch on Saturday and have one piece a day (with one extra for any roommates that might be lingering). Its great with currys, but Ive also used it as sandwich bread or eaten it with jam in the mornings.

13. Leah says:

Have you ever used egg whites with recipe? I just made a soup that took all my egg yokes and I’m left with 6 egg whites… What do you think?

• They’re great for macarons! Or you can make an all egg white omelette or frittata. Just fill it up with some fatty things (cheese) to make up for the lack of yolk. ;) (that was kind of a joke… kind of.)

14. sarah says:

do you think this bread would freeze well?

15. Emily says:

What would you recommend as a substitute for the yogurt? I do not like yogurt and don’t want to buy any just to try the recipe as I would not use up the rest!

• Sour cream might work, but really the yogurt is a key ingredient here and makes the flavor and texture of the bread unique.

16. Lisa says:

So easy and amazing! My boys had some for breakfast with butter and jam!

17. Jessica says:

This was so delicious and simple! It was the perfect addition to a low fat chicken tikka masala dish I made last night. Thank you for your great recipes!

18. just made this tonight… deeelish! So glad I found your site. Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful recipes!

19. Niki says:

I made this recipe last night and it was delicious. I never knew making naan could be so easy. Not only did I make it last night but my family requested more so I made another double batch after the first batch. Thank you Beth for this great recipe!

20. Jordan says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I love all BudgetBytes recipes. Beth, you never leave me down! I’ve never had a failed or fluke recipe from your website.

Came across this naan recipe and immediately wanted to try it after seeing all the good reviews. I kept hearing that naan was hard to make and I just didn’t want to go through the process if it was going to be difficult or be a long process.

Trusting Beth, I knew I had to try it. SO GOOD. There go the days of buying naan to accompany our Indian dishes. YUMMY!!

21. Just made this, yummy! I also subbed sour cream for the Greek yogurt just because I didn’t have any. Still came out very tasty, soft and pliable. Used it for a taco. Can’t wait to try your other recipes!

22. I made this tonight for the second time. It is an amazing recipe! This time though, I tried to make it more similar to the naan I have had at my favorite Indian restaurant- and I fried the naan dough in olive oil (so I could feel justified about frying it). It was SO worth it! Thanks for this recipe!

23. Emily R says:

What temperature should the water be (or does it matter?) when you mix it with the yeast? I know for some yeast recipes, the water should be warm, but this one didn’t specify so I thought I’d ask. :-)

• It’s usually suggested to be about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I just use my hottest tap water, but that will depend on how high your water heater is set. :)

24. Audrey says:

Naan is one of my favorite parts of Indian cuisine (fufu and puff puff were my personal favorites in my Nigerian-American household growing up so, clearly, I like my carbohydrates). My mom has some health issues, and I was wondering if you could think of a good alternative to vegetable oil. I know that usually I replace it with unsweetened applesauce, pure pumpkin puree, ground flax seeds, or even nonfat Greek yogurt. Do you think any of those would work?

• Hmm, honestly I don’t think any of those would work. You definitely need some fat to make it the correct texture and many of those substitutes have too much water in them. You can use olive oil as a healthier oil substitute, though.

25. Lisa B2 says:

Wow! This naan bread is awesome. So easy! I didn’t have yogourt but used sour cream instead. And I brushed on a little garlic butter before they cooled down. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!!

26. Tina says:

This is a good start but it was very bland to me. I made it a second time using sour cream (was out of yogurt) and 1 tsp garlic powder. I also sprinkled salt on the naan while it was cooking. Much much better tasting!

27. This is our go-to naan recipe! We use it a few times a month. It’s super easy and I make homemade yogurt often which is great to use in your recipe!

28. Stephanie French says:

Hi, I am making this as well as your dal nirvana, and I have a quick question. If I want to add garlic, at what stage should I put it in? And would you sautee it a little first or put it in raw and let it cook with the bread? Thanks so much, love your recipes. I make the skilled chilli with cornbread at least once a month.

• Honestly, I’ve been trying to figure out what would be the best way to add garlic, too. I tried adding garlic powder one time and it wasn’t as flavorful as I hoped. I think the best idea would be to make garlic butter (heat minced garlic in butter for a few minutes), then brush it on the outside of the cooked bread.

• Amy H. says:

I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but it’s definitely on the must try list! For those wanting more of a garlic flavor, when you get garlic naan at an Indian restaurant, it is the same as the plain naan, but has minced/chopped garlic on top of each piece, brushed on with the butter. I wouldn’t recommend putting garlic in the dough, because it will burn during cooking. Garlic naan is the best!

29. I love this recipe!! It was so easy to make. Question though if I wanted to make it a little healthier and use whole wheat flour do you know how I could do that still using this recipe?

• You’d have to experiment with the moisture levels, probably adding a bit more water, since ww flour tends to absorb more. To avoid having it be really dense, which is what ww flour usually ends up doing, I’d use half ww flour and half all purpose flour. You can also try ww pastry flour, which is ground a bit finer. That might help it be lighter.

30. oum saffiya says:

definitely on my to do-list ! thanks for yet another great recipe.

PS. what an expensive dough scraper. I bought a few months ago one in plastic for only 1€ and it works perfectly. I would suggest the shop, but hey that is in Belgium !

31. Allison says:

I had no idea naan was this easy to make. Yuuuuuum. Thanks for the recipe and easy to follow steps and pics. :)

32. Jennifer says:

Amazing! How would I go about doubling (or tripling) the recipe and saving them for another night? I’m always worried about making recipes bigger. Would this freeze well?

33. Danyel says:

Great directions. I’d never worked with yeast before and this went off without a hitch. I wish I’d made better note of the tip not to roll out each ball until it’s ready to go in the pan. I stacked mine and let them sit for a bit and it made them harder to work with. I also learned that it’s better to leave them a little underdone than overdone because overdone cracks when you fill it. My kids fought over the last piece.

34. Darrian says:

HAHA omg I started freaking out a little bit when first mixing the yeast, sugar and water. I was like “OMG what did I do wrong??!!?! why wont it froth?!” then I read on the packet of yeast that it says allow it to sit for 10 minutes :P hehe

35. Darrian says:

Could you possibly make a video of making the small balls??? I’m a little confused, it’s probably a lot simpler than what I’m thinking, but it would be very much appreciated to see it done!!

• I know, it’s super hard to explain with words, but yes, it is an easy task. :) If I had video making skills, I would definitely do so. Hopefully in the future!

36. Tommie says:

I’ve made this before, and like all of your other recipes, it was a total hit at my house. However, now one of my family members is off dairy and I was wanting to make this to go with the indian creamed spinach. Do you think using coconut milk in both recipes would work out?

• Hmm… I’ve never baked bread with coconut milk before, but I do know that it will change the flavor quite a bit. The yogurt gives this bread a subtle but distinct tart flavor (kind of like sour dough) that it won’t have with coconut milk. If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turns out!

• My son is allergic to dairy, and I use coconut milk in most things. When it calls for yogurt or sour cream, I use the So Delicious brand of coconut yogurt. That would probably work for this, though it will definitely give it a coconut flavor. Might be delicious with Beth’s coconut curry chicken.

37. Matt V says:

Wow! Fantastic! This Naan recipe is just great! I made double the recipe, which I will do for now on. The double recipe made about 16 naan 6 x 6 in naan , and trust me this will be eaten fast. Than I simply froze the rest.

38. Kristen says:

GREAT RECIPE! We’ve wanted to make naan for a while, but most recipes are too much work. Thankfully, yours came along because it was excellent. A bit nervous trying it since the last time we used yeast it was a struggle and your instructions were different from that on the actually yeast packet. Worked fine! Only ended up using about 2 cups of flour in the end I think, but still worked great. Had to turn our pan up a bit to make it bubble, but there were no problems frying. Even less problems eating! Thanks!

39. iluminameluna says:

I’ve made naan before and yours is the most basic recipe I’ve seen. Thanks for making it easy for my friends, I couldn’t make it simpler! I like to add chopped onions to mine but that’s just me. As for your forgetting to get a dough scraper, don’t get it at the store! Go to your local 2nd hand store and you’ll not only help your wallet but you’ll be recycling something as well and if it’s a charity store, helping the cash help a good cause as well. It’s where I go for the small kitchen things. Cheers!

40. Miralina says:

I just made this and it came out REALLY well!!! My Indian food obsessed 5 year old is ecstatic. It is so much cheaper than buying Naan from the local indian grocery, and tastes just as good!! :) I’ll be making this very often. Thanks so much!

41. Anna says:

This naan was wonderful – easy to make and everything I needed to make it I already had! I tend to be intimidated by Indian food (lots of spices and usually a lot of steps), so we only eat it on rare occasions when we eat out. I am going to make your recipe for dal next.

42. Lisa B says:

I just made this Naan bread for our Sunday Night dinner served with oil and balsamic vinegar and it is absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

43. This looks amazing! Do you have any advice on making this with whole wheat flour? Do you think that I’ll have to make any adaptations?

Thank you for the great recipe!

• You’ll probably need to use a little less flour as you knead it in because whole wheat flour absorbs more moisture than all-purpose. It might not make bubbles as nicely, either, since whole wheat doughs tend to be a little more dense. If you do try it, please let us know how it turns out! I’d love to know. :)

• Courtney says:

I tried using whole wheat flour tonight, and they were delicious. I probably used about 2 1/2 c. of flour, but the yogurt I used was not Greek style, so it was more liquid-y. Perhaps that had an impact on how much flour I used. In any case, the recipe worked very well! Success!

44. Sarah says:

After a couple of false starts (mainly due to my total inability to read directions), this recipe turned out beautifully. Thanks Beth!! I’m 24 and this was my first time ever making bread. I’m so pleased at how easy it was :)

45. Sherry says:

I just made these, following your recipe. At the moment they are cooling down before I store them for the next meal. The ‘blisters’ on my bread are not many like yours. But I’m sure they will taste just fine. Thanks for sharing a simple yet tasty recipe.

46. I love it, taste lovely I also made it with the spicy shrimp and tomatoe pasta! great meal

47. Lovetron says:

Turned out perfectly! Just paired it with the parsley/scallion hummus (with a generous injection of sriracha). Thanks for the great recipes.

48. amanda says:

Found your site after it was mentioned on NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour. The host was actually plugging your Dragon Noodle recipe (which I have since made three times in two weeks, in various forms).
    I made this naan tonight to accompany a standard beef & bean chili. I was worried because a) I’ve never made bread from scratch and b) I’m feeding my two picky pre-teens who hate just everything these days. I decided to throw caution to the wind, though, and I’m so glad I did.
    They cannot stop talking about how great “that bread thing” was! Utter success, and frankly, I’m pretty sure I over-kneaded the bread!
    Thank you for your site — I’ve pinned so many new recipes this week it’s ridiculous.

49. These were super easy and came out perfect! Will definitely be making them again. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

50. Angela B says:

Made this 4 times already. It has become a staple in our house. Easy and fun for the kids to help with. I also added garlic to one of the recipes and that was also really, really good as well. Thank you so much for all of your great recipes!!

51. Doreen says:

These turned out beautifully. Used part whole wheat. I’ll be making these again. Thanks so much for sharing.

52. Kristi says:

We double/triple this recipe frequently (it works beautifully). And we also substitute instant yeast for the active dry with great results.

This recipe is VERY forgiving, and just cries out for additions. So we obliged :)

For 1 recipe we commonly use half organic unbleached flour and half organic rye…adding 1 Tablespoon of caraway seeds and 1 teaspoon of Deli Rye Flavoring powder from King Arthur.

Oh yeah, RYE NAAN! Woohoo!

53. Ilene says:

I made these tonight and they are to die for! I think I’ll have to double (or maybe even triple) the recipe next time because my family is scarfing them down like there’s no tomorrow. Thank you!

54. Amelia says:

HELP, S.O.S., MAYDAY! I cannot stop eating these. Send help. I melted some unsalted butter & added garlic salt & grated parmesan to it & am dipping it and OH GOD SAVE ME. It tastes just like Crazy Bread from Little Caesar’s (<–I hate myself).

Thanks for this site, Beth! I just found it last week and am obsessed.

55. Sara L says:

Thanks! Have always wanted to make Naan but thought it would be too difficult. This is so simple and amazingly tasty! My husband seriously wants to have this every night for dinner!

56. I have made naans and absolutely love those breads. If you have a grill, you can cook naans on a grill using a cooking stone. They will turned out just like the one they serve at the restaurant. You can also cook papadums on a grill (a bit less fattening). You don’t need the stone for these but the heat needs to be on medium otherwise they will burn.

57. Bree says:

Someone is lifting your content and getting pinned on Pinterest with it. Might want to ask them to take it down: http://www.recipebest.com/2013/06/naan.html

• It’s okay. They don’t post the actual recipe, but they do post the link to my page, so I get a lot of traffic through them. It’s all good. :)

58. Krista says:

First let me say I love your site. I made this tonight; super easy and delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing such fabulous recipes.

59. shaniece says:

This naan recipe was simple and delicious. I can t believe I made naan, thanks for the recipe.

60. Hello!!

First and foremost: Love your blog! You have a great thing going on here! You were one of my inspirations to start my own blog. Yester day I made this Naan bread, and will for sure mention you on the blog. And boy, oh boy… Will this be a sure thing in my house for now on!

Absolutelly loved it!

See ya around the blogsphere!

61. Duchesst says:

It’s a keeper for sure. It’s easy, yummy and cheap so we will be making plenty off these

62. Christine says:

Super easy, cheap, and tasty! A family hit. Thank you!

63. Cindy says:

I have served at two Indian weddings and loved the food. They use Naan to sop up sauces, for dips, and to scoop up food with folded Naan.

I will be trying this recipe because I have tasted this fabulous bread and wondered where the sweetness came from. It’s yogurt!

64. I pinned this about a year ago and make it all the time. Just wanted to return and finally print out the recipe in case somehow it got lost! Thanks for making it available!!

65. Katy says:

This recipe turned out so well! Thanks for sharing.

• Sofia Asaf says:

I tried this recipe today. It’s extremely yummy and very easy. Thank you so very much for sharing.

66. I have made two of your bread recipes (this and the foccaccia) and my dough never rises. I have tried warm water, cool water, stirring…I just can’t get the yeast to activate. Tips?

• Have you tried stirring a pinch of sugar into the initial water/yeast mixture? That will give it something to feed off of and jump start the activation. If the water doesn’t become foamy on top, the yeast isn’t activated and it probably won’t rise if you continue on with the recipe. Also, make sure the dough is in a warm place when you let it rise. Even a cold kitchen can significantly slow it down. I hope you’re able to make it work!

67. Kaitlin says:

Just made this tonight and OH MY GOSH so good!! Even someone who’s pretty dough-challenged was able to make it! So light and fluffy and delicious! I made it with a yummy Indian buttered chicken and jasmine rice and honestly the naan was the best part (although it was all good!) Topped with a melted butter and garlic salt mixture and it was perfection!

68. Dee Dee Chan says:

This was an amazing recipe. It turned out just like yours in the pictures, that rarely happens for me! Thanks for your hard work in sharing this :)

69. hans meiser says:

Easy to follow, easy to make. Thank you!

I did have a problem; the Naan didn’t quite bubble up as nicely, just a little bit. I tried different temperatures with similar results.
    Any idea what I could be doing wrong? BTW I used regular lowfat yoghurt and squeezed most of the moisture out.

• Did the dough rise up nicely before dividing and shaping it and did the yeast and water get nice and frothy? I wonder if the yeast wasn’t quite activated enough. That’s just a guess, though. Unfortunately with bread there are so many little places where things can go a little off, so it’s hard to say without actually watching. :)

70. Jenn says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just finished making my naan and I can’t believe it is really homemade! It turned out beautifully! The bread is so soft and delicious! Thank you for teaching me how to make naan so I never have to buy it again!

71. OMGOMGOMG!!! Indian food is my fav food, but it’s soooo darn expensive! I’m going to try this with the tikka masala sauces they sell at the grocery store. yummmyyy.

72. Vivian says:

I didn’t read through all the comments so maybe it’s there but I was wondering, is there a dairy free alternative for the greek yogurt?

P.S. I absolutely love your website, I don’t know where to start :3

• I think someone mentioned that there are actually dairy free yogurts out there on the market, but I’ve never tried any to know how they taste. The yogurt gives a really unique, almost sour dough-like flavor to the naan and I can’t think of anything else that will provide that (except maybe those dairy free yogurts). :P

73. Alison says:

Recipe looks awesome. Question, have you tried using your dough hook on the kitchen aid mixer instead of hand kneading?

• I haven’t tried that, but probably only because I don’t have a Kitchen Aid mixer. I’d definitely try it if I did, though!

• Adrianne says:

I use my KitchenAid to make this all the time and it works well. My only advice is that if you are going to double the recipe either have the heavier larger version or just watch it carefully as you mix. I make a double batch all the time it because of the amount of dough it creates it tries to creep up the hook. Plus it is a very heavy dough and makes my mixer work hard.

74. Shannon says:

I have been wanting to try to make naan bread myself, it always looks easy enough. It totally is! I followed your instructions more or less exactly and it was so easy and is SO good! This is definitely going to become a regular item in my kitchen.

75. Just finished making this NAAN bread…Oh my goodness its delious…. Recipe was simple as can be

76. Erin says:

I made this last night and cooked it in my cast iron skillet…my boyfriend ate 2 pieces and I ate 5 and saved one for breakfast. I cannot control myself around this bread! Can’t wait to make it again.

77. Judy H says:

Yay! I made Naan! It’s yummy, too!
    Thank you for the recipe and easy instructions! When I was grilling yesterday I grilled a whole eggplant and set it aside. Today I made an eggplant dip with it and ate it with freshly made Naan! :)

78. Ginny says:

My 8-year-old daughter and I made this today, and she LOVES it. I think I’m going to have to make it for school lunches, because she won’t eat sandwiches.

I had to turn the heat up to a little above medium to get it to bubble…turned out GREAT! Thanks!

79. Erin says:

So excited to try making this! I love Naan and absolutely cannot find any decent premade brands where I live. My only question is whether I can sub out the plain Greek yogurt and use plain “regular” yogurt instead? I bought a giant container of plain yogurt to make the Greek marinated chicken and am hoping I can use the leftovers for Naan!

• Yep, you can use regular yogurt :) In fact, I’ve pretty much used regular yogurt every time since writing this post :) You’ll probably end up kneading in a little extra flour to compensate for the moisture, though.

80. Luz Posada says:

this is one of our family fav’s…..question, have you tried freezing a batch? If so, how did it work out for you?

81. Mrs. Smith says:

I have never heard of naan until I found this site. I made it this evening but not having eaten it before I called the expert (my sister). She said it tasted great but it was a bit “heavy”.
    I doubled the recipe so I could freeze some. It seemed very sticky so I kept adding flour until it was not sticky. I am thinking maybe I kneaded it to much??
    The other possibility was that I let it rise near the oven vent on the stove while cooking the chicken. Could that have made it “heavy”?

• Hmm, I don’t think the oven vent would have made it heavy. If the dough was stiff at the end of kneading, you may have kneaded in too much flour. A dry dough won’t be as pliable and therefore won’t expand into a light fluffy loaf. It’s hard to say what the problem might have been without being able to feel and see the dough. My suggestion is to go with your intuition and keep trying. Bread is one of those things that you just get a “feel” for after doing it enough :)

82. Ashley says:

This is the first “bread” I have ever made. It is sitting in a bowel resting now. I can’t wait till I have the finished product!!

83. Joyce says:

Love these naan breads- one or two people commented on not using yogurt – it helps the dough to rise don’t know how or why, just like buttermilk does in soda bread or in some biscuit recipes. So if you miss it out the bread won’t be as pillowy ( my son’s description) as they ought to be. Great site I’m always looking for good but economical meals and you’ve nailed it!

84. This is fantastic! Thank you!!! How long will the naan last after cooking? Should it just be served immediately or does it have a shelf life?

• I keep mine in the refrigerator (in a ziplock bag, make sure it’s completely cool first to prevent condensation) and it keeps for about a week. You can also freeze it, though, if you want to keep it longer.

85. The Derb... says:

So I found you this morning, and I’m in love! So excited with your info that I made Naan at 9AM! Had to improvise. Olive oil instead of regular. Added instant dry yeast and garlic powder to dry flour cuz I had no active dry yeast. Ran out of flour before I could knead it so had to use some rice flour i had on hand. Little too sticky so I pressed them out by hand and were a little thicker. Also pressed a little kosher salt into the tops and fried them in a touch of garlic olive oil I got from the canned food store (Grocery Outlet lol)… After all this and they’re still amazing! Breakfast was a bowl of vegetarian chili and a nice toasty naan to scoop it with. Doing this again!!

86. I have made this recipe twice, and I love it! So much fun to make. The second time I put some garlic paste in the dough and rolled the pieces in minced garlic for garlic naan…also delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!

87. My 12 year old son has just made this naan bread.It was 11 out of 10….great.Thanks for your efforts.

88. wow that looks amazing

89. Kerri says:

My family is in love with this naan. Best I have ever made. Thank you so much!

90. yum looks good have to try

91. Katie says:

LOVE this. I make it all the time for my family now as it’s so much easier than pita but just as tasty. It makes a great dip for hummus.

92. I made four, put the other four in the fridge, and made tomato and mozzarella pizzas with them. Delicious! Thank you for such an easy recipe. I have never tried making bread before. :)

This recipe was very easy and good. However, it was nothing like I’ve had at an Indian restaurant. This tasted more like a pita to me. I can’t put my finger on it, but it was not the same taste as I’ve had at several restaurants. I was disappointed that it did not seem authentic.

This recipe is amazing! Found it on Pinterest about 6 months ago but never tried it. Tonight was curry night at home, and my boyfriend loves naan bread, so I finally decided to try the recipe. I followed it precisely and they turned out lovely, just like shop bought naans, but even better! Although I couldn’t get any bubble…
    Will definitely make again, it is so simple and foolproof! And the best thing is that I will be able to make naans when I’m back in France (I live in the UK at the moment and in France you can’t find naan bread).
    This recipe made my day, thank you so much for sharing it!!!

95. I tried making this naan last week, and it was seriously amazing and really easy. I will definitely make this again! Thank you!

I agree this is the BEST recipe I have tried for Naan bread. My hubby has me make this weekly. We eat it plain,tacos,pizza and anything we can think of. I grew up making tortilla’s from scratch but find this bread easier and soooo yummy.

97. What a great recipe! I love the step-by-step instructions and it looks so easy. Thank you!

The best naan recipe! Thank you.

I made this for the 32nd time last night. This is (and likely always will be) my go to naan recipe. I always make a double batch to use up as much yogurt as possible, and freeze whatever is leftover. Simply pop in the microwave for a minute and it’s as fluffy and fresh as the day you made it! Thanks so much for this delicious recipe, I look forward to eating leftovers tonight!

100. This reminds me of fried bread dough that my Mama always made us when we were youngun’s…used to make it for my youngun’s too. We take it straight from the cast iron griddle and slather peanut butter on it…yum. Hope you got your dough scraper by now. Ü

101. denise says:

made these tonight- we liked them better than our usual takeout naan. even with salad and chicken, these made for a fantastic accompaniment

102. Oh, also – they freeze well between sheets of kitchen paper then in a freezer bag. Take out when needed and heat on a tray in the oven.

103. Thank you so much for this recipe and tutorial. I have made the naan 3-4 times now and my family love it. Once I got started making it and didn’t have yoghurt so I used sour cream and some lemon juice and it was perfect too. It is now a part of our curry style meals, of which we have plenty!

Cheers – Joolz (Australia)

104. Anonymous – you will need about 3 cups of flour, maybe a little less. The exact amount will vary depending on humidity and other factors.

can someone tell me how much flour is in this recipe? I can’t understand the amount it says:( Thanks.

106. That is an INCREDIBLE idea! Thanks!!

Tip-You can use a rounded metal mixing bowl upside down (cooking on the outside of the bowl)over the burner. Spray the surface you will cook on with non-stick oil and roll out the dough supper thin and cook, and it turns out great.

108. I completely forgot the egg. It still tasted good and wasn’t very bubbly.

I double the recipe since I have a large household and did not add egg and also added a cup of whole wheat flour. Hope it turns out. Very excited since I love this bread.

110. Sally says:

Oh my goodness typing this while I cook, half way through cooking up the naans they are amazing was planning on freezing the left overs but after tasting one not sure if there will be any leftovers! Thanks for a great easy to follow recipe!…

For those wanting the nutritional value of this….258 calories, 37 carbs, 9g fat, and 6g of protein per serving.

112. I made this recipe last week and served it with garlic butter, it was completely amazing!! I’m going to experiment with it in tortillas this week, so hopefully it goes well!

113. This looks really interesting .. has anyone tried it with Gluten Free Flour?

114. I added cilantro and garlic to this–amazing recipe! I hate greek yogurt, but it definitely made a difference (for the better) in this naan! Deliciooooous!

115. I made this last night for the first time and can I just say: WOW!!!!! I’ve had store-bought naan before and it was okay, but this homemade naan is absolutely AMAZING! For how easy and cheap it was to make, it is probably one of the best things to ever come out of my kitchen. And I consider myself to be a dynamite cook! Seriously, I could go on and on and onnnn about how freaking amazing this bread is. It was the perfect complement to the dal nirvana i made for dinner.

116. Jack – I would suggest cooking all of the dough and then storing the cooked naan either in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for a few months.

117. Made it this morning. It was awesome. How long will the extra dough keep?

I want to try this with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free all purpose flour… SO BADLY! I miss eating naan. So happy I found this recipe – will try it with GF flour (and xantham gum) and report back :)

119. This was SERIOUSLY THE MOST AMAZING NAAN EVER!!!!! And this is coming from someone who lived in the Middle East for two years! Amazing recipe and SO easy!! I will be making this again!

I think this is my first time EVER posting on a blog recipe. I made these last night to go with Tikka Masala. They came out amazing!!! My husband asked me to make them again tonight and I have already caught him sneaking pieces of the left overs this morning! Thanks!!!

121. I used all-purpose flour :)

What kind of flour do u use?

123. Just made this…..FANTASTIC!!!!! Once I saw the bubbles I was so excited! Tastes wonderful :-) Now I have to figure out a way to not eat all of it by myself!

124. Michelle says:

I NEVER comment on sites – but I just made this and it was AMAZING! Of course it takes more effort than store bought, but the taste and texture is SO much better (not to mention the price!). This is going in our recipe rotation! Thanks so much for wonderful recipes!

125. That looks so yummy! I’d be so tempted to spread some garlic butter on that and just eat it all day! One of my friends found this really cute healthy cooking blog , and she is always finding such yummy recipes. Plus, the benefit of that, is that she is always passing them on to me! I’d love to find some more healthy cooking blog , but I’m not sure where to start. I’m pretty sure my friend found her healthy cooking blog, just on a whim, a stumble upon of sorts. Is there a way to search for healthy cooking blog with good recipes? What is the best way to go about searching for them?

I made these to go with my curry tonight- they were easy and really good! I didn’t have yogurt so I used the old vinegar-and-milk trick and it worked fine, though I’m sure it would be better with actual yogurt.

-Maia

Sooo delicious. The directions are so easy to follow, and the pictures help. So much cheaper than the grocery store… THANKS.

128. thanks I’ll try 1/2 oat, it is lighter,

129. Kimberly – I’ve never cooked with oat flour, so I’m unsure of how that would work. Whole wheat flour would probably change the texture too much. These are a very light, fluffy flat bread and whole wheat flour tends to produce a heavy, dense bread.

130. can you use wheat flour or oat flour???

131. I’ve made these several times now, and they always turn out great! I’ve made them to go with actual Indian food, and tonight we used them with burgers. So good!

132. nicolemel says:

My 11 year old daughter have used this recipe about 4 times already and we love it. I love to use this naan with your your yummy hummus recipe too! Simple, wholesome and cheap!
    Thanks Beth!

Love this recipe! I didn’t have Greek yogurt one time so I substituted 3 tbsp of 2% milk (all I had in the fridge) and about 1 tbsp of vanilla yogurt. Came out great! We couldn’t tell a difference from the original recipe.

134. This naan bread recipe was and is oh so amazing!!!! My husband and I had it for dinner with our curry tonight and I also gave some to my 13 month old daughter and she absolutely loved it!!! It has the perfect texture for just about anything – gyros, sandwiches, chalupas, pizza, or a substitute for tortillas… Its just perfect. I will continue making it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe, Beth!

135. FANTASTIC recipe! It was so easy to follow and make! I recommend it to anyone!

136. I love naan and have always wanted to make it, but I couldn’t imagine I could possibly come close to duplicating what I’ve been served in restaurants. I followed this recipe to the letter, and it was both easy and amazingly delicious! Thank you!

137. Fantastic!! I love Naan bread and will be making this with my next curry xxx

138. I made this tonight using the coconut milk. While it wasn’t as fluffy as it probably would have been had I used yogurt, it was amazing! (Actually, the last few were nice and fluffy. I think the first few I over cooked resulting in a crispy texture)
    I also added in a clove of grated garlic.

139. Kim – I’m sorry but I’ve never used spelt flour so I’m unfamiliar with its characteristics or how well it works when replacing AP flour.

140. would spelt work

141. Steffanie – I usually just use all-purpose flour. In most recipes I do a mix of WW and AP like you did, but for this recipe I stuck with all white flour. It really makes a difference in the texture. WW flour is just too heavy for a delicate, fluffy bread like this.

142. steffanie says:

What kind of flour did you use (All Purpose or Bread)? I used about 40% whole grain flour and 60% bread flour and they came out just okay; not the chewy flexible consistancy that I love Naan for.

143. Ishum – that’s just some extra parsley that I had in the fridge (roughly chopped) :)

144. Oh, and what kind of herbs are in your pictures? I can’t quite tell, but it’s so pretty!

145. I’m picking up some Greek yogurt this afternoon so that I can make this. Looks amazing! My husband is a huge fan of Indian food and his parents are coming over for dinner tonight. Hopefully between this recipe and the Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe that I have, it will be a winner!

146. Cassie – I’m really not sure how coconut would do in place of the yogurt because the two are quite different in chemical composition. Yogurt is very acidic and has protein and coconut milk is not acidic and has quite a bit more fat than yogurt. So, I’m not sure how it would effect the texture. But, I say go for it! And please let us know how it turns out!

147. These look amazing!
    I can’t eat dairy, do you think coconut milk could substitute for the yogurt?

148. Kimambler – I’ve made it with plain yogurt pretty much every time since posting this and it works great :D I guess the extra moisture doesn’t make that big of a difference!

149. Does anyone know if you can substitute plain yogurt for the greek yogurt? Just bought a 32 oz container and need to use it somewhere.

• sophie says:

If you’re really worried about the extra moisture let the juices drain out in a cheesecloth for a little bit.

150. Cassidy – Yep, that is a strong possibility. Kneading too much will create a stiff dough and and end product that is more dense, like bagels. I think the last time that I made it I didn’t even knead for a full three minutes. Just until it was smooth and still very soft and pliable. I hope it turns out better for you next time!

151. question, this didn’t turn out quite as soft & pillowy as i was expecting. could that be from over-kneading the dough?

The bread machine yeast worked perfectly! We sent half of the naan over to our neighbors and ALL of it was quickly gobbled up. Now I have an excuse to make more! Thank you!

153. Anon- Yep, bread machine yeast should work just fine! :)

Newbie here! I only have “bread machine” yeast. Will that work? Hoping to make this tonight with a vegetarian version of the turmeric chicken and jasmine rice. Mmmmm….

155. first time to your blog. excellent! and, this recipe looks perfect; will be trying it out next time i get a chance. thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :).

156. Oh my goodness…where have these pillowy bits of heaven been all my live. LOVE!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

157. I made these for the first time today, and my whole family was amazed and impressed — they were perfect! I dipped mine in raita and loved every minute of it. :)

158. I am totally impressed! Made these for the first time today, they were a perfect compliment to the turmeric chicken and jasmine rice. A definite do-over!
    Oh and accidentally used vanilla/honey greek yogurt instead of plain and they still turned out great.

159. Anon – It probably would “work” but it would definitely have a different texture. If you try it, let us know how it turns out!

would it work it i didnt add oil to the mix or a lot less of it?

161. I made these a few weeks ago I loved them! So easy and tasty. I plan to make them next week with your Indian meal plan. I love your blog!! Tasty cheap food….I can’t get enough!!!

162. Ashley says:

must. not. eat. entire. recipe. :)

163. Wow- what an AMAZING and simple recipe! I followed your instructions step-by-step, and they came out amazing. Thank you!

I just doubled this recipe to use as pizza dough- instead of frying them in a frying pan, I’m going to add the dough to my pizza stone, top it with fresh tomato sauce, buffalo mozzerella, and some fresh basil! Can’t wait to try it out tonight!

164. lovely! I made it today, and I doubled the recipe. Thank you for the recipe :)

165. Wendy – doubling the recipe should work fine, although if the dough ball is very large it may be a little more difficult to knead. Other than that, it should work exactly the same :)

166. I made this the other day and it was so yummy my family ate it all within 20 minutes! I had planned to put it in lunches for the week. Bummer. ;) So my question is whether or not the recipe will still turn out OK if I double it? I’m not very experienced with yeast breads, so I don’t know how that will go. Thanks!

167. It will continue to rise in the refrigerator, just at a slower rate. There is a possibility that it will over rise, but I think it’s worth a shot! Every pizza place I have ever worked let their dough rise in the refrigerator over night before using it. So, just mix it up and refrigerate in place of the first rise. Good luck!

• Lakme Shah says:

So i was wondering about freezing these naans also. I wanted to make a bunch because we are having an Indian thanksgiving meal this year. I made a 10 of these naans and stuck them in the freezer. Once they were nice and frozen i took two out. Reheated on in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 F and the other on the skillet. They both turned out perfect like freshly made! I keep them on the counter top and tasted them again in 2 hours, they were still nice and soft and perfect (colder, but great). With other frozen naan from the store if you let them sit too long you feel like you are eating leather. These naan definitely held up my freeze test!! LOVE this recipe.

168. Jenny says:

I LOVE this recipe! It comes out great every time. One question though–I see a lot of questions about freezing, but I’m wondering if this dough will hold up well if I just refrigerate it overnight. Thanks!

169. I tried these for dinner tonight using whole wheat flour and doubling the recipe so we would have plenty of left overs. I had my 5 year old help roll them out and we all loved them. I bet they would taste better with white flour but we try and only use whole wheat. Thanks for sharing.

170. Yep, frothy means that it looks foamy after a couple of minutes. Also, if your kitchen is a bit on the cold side, it may just take a bit more time for it to rise. But, I’m betting on the skillet being not hot enough. You should make your fiance make it for you! ;)

171. I bought the yeast just for this recipe. I am not sure what “frothy” means. Does that mean like bubbles at the top?
    My fiance is Indian and I so wanting to make this for him. He laughed when I told him I was going to make this because I am not a good cook.
    Thanks for the response!

172. Did your yeast foam up in that first step? That will let you know if your yeast is still good. Also, the many times I’ve made this I have noticed that the first few naan didn’t bubble up because the skillet was not as hot as I thought it was. As the skillet got hotter, they began to bubble up more. I hope it works out better for you next time!

173. It seems like the dough didn’t rise and I didn’t see bubbles form when I put them on the skillet. Idk what I did wrong.

• sophie says:

This happened to me a couple of times to, I think that it’s because I didn’t stretch my dough enough.

I made these tonight and they were amazing! After they came off my skillet, I brushed the tops with melted butter and fresh minced garlic. I also sprinkled parsley.

175. I made these last night and they turned out really well! Puffy, browned in bits, but tender on the inside. I was surprised at how simple they were to make, too. The dough was nice and stretchy so it was easy to roll them out (and pull a bit, like pizza dough) so they were thin enough. I ended up liking them a bit thinner than you suggested, maybe 7 inches – that seemed to produce more big bubbles.

Made these tonight….DELICIOUS! Even my extremely picky 6 year old daughter loved them! I sprinkled garlic on some and cinnamon/sugar on the others…both yummy :) It reminded me of an Auntie Anne’s Pretzel. A+ recipe!

177. Just made these with my 4 year old and they were fun, easy and delicious! Thanks!

178. I’ve thought about doing it and I think the best way would be to add garlic powder. Or, maybe you can knead in some chopped garlic.

179. Karen Marie says:

I love garlic naan. When I’ve had it at restaurants, or the frozen Trader Joe’s brand, it looks like roasted garlic is added to the dough. Any one have any thoughts on how to do garlic naan?

• sophie says:

Instead of mixing the garlic/garlic powder in the dough, I put a dash of garlic salt in the pan along with the oil or when they’re all stacked on the plate I put garlic powder in between them.
      Oh and if you want to make it even cheaper plain yogurt works fine but if you really want greek yogurt take a cheesecloth, tie it over the faucet head in your sink and put the yogurt in until it’s as thick as you want it (I save the juices that come out to put in smoothies ).

180. Deb – I’m sorry, I don’t have the nutrition stats :( But there are websites and smartphone apps that allow you to enter recipe ingredients to calculate nutrition info. Try fitday.com or sparkpeople.com

181. hi!! i was wondering if you know the nutrition stats, and would you mind posting them? thanks!!

182. It was either cilantro or parsley… I’m sure I just grabbed whatever was green in the fridge because I needed to add color to the photo :P

183. What herb did you top this with in the picture?

This was amazing! Even my 11-year-old son with autism who won’t eat anything new LOVED it. Thanks for the recipe!!!

This was specacular!!! My family loved it!

186. I love naan…I may be making this one soon!

187. Mara says:

This was amazing and so easy! It was such a hit. Thanks so much for your very clear directions and step-by-step photos. It was really simple. I made it with basmati rice and chicken tikka masala…they were both great, but we were all piling everything on the naan because it was so good!

188. Anon- I can’t offer any advice about the tofu as I’ve never cooked with it… but as far as the egg is concerned, I accidentally made it without the egg once and it still worked great :) It was a little less rich and fluffy, but it still tasted awesome!

Hey I found this on Pinterest and I was just wondering if I could make this right now with silken tofu (similar in consistency to Greek yogurt) or if I should just go to the store and get the right stuff.
    I am not currently vegan, but I am working towards it and I always look for ways to modify great recipes for the future. Have you ever made this without the egg? Is the egg a binder or an additional leavening agent or what? Thanks, I am so eager to try this vegan and regular!!

190. Great recipe, I made it tonight for dinner and it was a hit. My girlfriend gave me a kiss it was so good. Thanks!

Just made this tonight and it turned out REALLY well!!! Thanks for the recipe. I’d post a pic if I could (I certainly did on FB… always like to show off my kitchen success stories!).

192. These are amazing, and easy! I just made them tonight and plan on making a big batch for my husbands work party to go with the tikka masala! Thank you!

193. Yogurt is pretty easy to make to save even that purchase. :) I made almost two gallons the other day and you can make it thick like the greek style as well!

194. Great recipe! Thanks so much for posting this!

195. This naan looks so good. I’ve seen it made in the oven though, might try this new way though.

Just made this for my family – turned out awesome, we could NOT STOP eating it. Gluttons, all of us. :)

197. MisaLawilet – the difference between plain yogurt and greek yogurt is the water content. Greek yogurt has been strained to make it thicker and richer. I *think* I made this once with plain yogurt and it was still good although you may end up kneading in more flour to compensate for the extra moisture.

198. Would plain regular be ok instead of Greek? I’ve never tried Greek so I really don’t know what the difference is.

I made this with a modification, I added cilantro because I love it and it tends to make everything taste amazing. I made these for my brother and he’s constantly asking me to make more!

200. I just stumbled upon your blog from Elise Blaha’s site and am so glad because your naan looks amazing!

201. thunderbird says:

I’ve frozen these tons of times as well as made them vegan, and they turn out great every time!

For freezing: I froze them both cooked and uncooked (as the little balls of dough just before rolling). The cooked ones worked much better – the uncooked ones just didn’t rise as much.

For veganizing: When I’ve used soy milk instead of the milk, it turned out just as delicious! once I used water, even, and I had no problems. In terms of the egg, I usually replace it with 3 teaspoons of cornstarch or flour, 3 tablespoons of oil, and 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

This recipe is one of my standbys! I usually make a double or triple batch, so that I won’t eat it all right away :)

I just made this with all whole wheat flour and no egg, and it was great!!!! I didn’t mean to leave out the egg, but I didn’t print it out and just forgot it, thanks.

Made this last night…delicious and will definitely make again. Some of the Naan had bubbles others not….Is it possible, the thinner the Naan, the more bubbles? Thanks…Lyn

204. I would think so. Bread in general freezes very well and they sell frozen naan in the grocery store!

can you freeze these??

206. Thank you! This was delicious and easy. My 10yo daughter made it and the whole family gobbled it up.

do you have the nutritional info so that the weight watcher points can be calculated?

208. I made these tonight and they are amazingly easy and satisfying. I spent years in professional indian kitchens and learned how to make so many things but never naan! I had a fear of yeast! I always thought it would be so hard, but your recipe here broke me of that. I *had* to try this, and you know what? Everyone ate them and loved them!

210. Yeah, I actually forgot the egg once when I made it. It was still pretty good! It wasn’t *quite* as fluffy but I barely noticed :)

Can you make this without egg? or what’s the substitute?

212. I made this last night and ate it for dinner tonight as well!

213. I made this last night. It was delicious and I could have eaten it all night. I’m making pizza this week, so maybe this will be a good sub!

214. My boyfriend and I made this last night. It’s our second attempt at making naan – the first recipe we used (NOT one of yours!) had absolutely no flavor at all, and was just terrible! This one turned out GREAT – I totally could have forgotten the rest of the food and pigged out on this alone!

I made it in my cast iron skillet, and it turned out quite well. The heat got a bit too high at one point, but even the darker pieces tasted great. I will DEFINITELY be making this again (and again…and again…)

215. And by “you’re recipes” I of course mean “your recipes”. That naan was so good it shut off all cognitive function.

216. You’re a GENIUS. I’m absolutely awful at making anything that calls for yeast, but whipped up a batch of delicious homemade naan with no problem. Every single recipe I’ve made from your site has been PERFECT. I just want to throw away the rest of my cookbooks, ’cause you’re recipes are the ones I trust most in the world. (Well, aside from the sainted Alton Brown’s, of course.)

217. This naan recipe is excellent. I cooked mine on a griddle rather than in a skillet and it still turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing. :)

Next time I might try adding some wheat flour… Any recommendations?

218. Sarah says:

I tried this and it was AWESOME!! I made it with the Dal Nirvana- everything turned out beautifully- thank you!

219. I am so excited to try this recipe! I am eating store-bought frozen naan from trader joe’s as I read your recipe, and at 2.99 for 4 pieces, your recipe is surely more economical and much fresher. I love cooking and have recently branched out to making my own pizza dough from a recipe I found on a different blog – so this naan recipe is going to be my next kitchen experiment! Your blog is great, I’ve bookmarked it and will definitely be branching out to trying more of your recipes in the future.

220. Awww, Melanie! That is the sweetest thing ever :) I’m so glad that the recipes have worked out so well for you (aside from the traditional yeast… wish I could have seen that)! Thanks for the kind words and glad you’re no longer anonymous!!

:D
    Beth

221. Melanie says:

(no longer anonymous lol)

Fantastic recipe Beth!

Made once for friends, to wonderful accolades. Next time halved and made with a gluten free flour blend so I could enjoy it. It was a bit less awesome, but just to get to have a familiar curry side made my dinner!

Oh and I messed up and used traditional rising yeast (we wont talk about that…) the dry active one rise yeast is the only one to use as far as my results lol.

Side-note: the English muffins, Dal nirvana, creamy tomato soup, raspberry oat bars and szechuan pork have all been hits with the hubby and I.
    So much so, that we went through your site and are trying to cook/shop using ONLY recipes from your site. Today is day 3!!!

Ty again dear, keep up the great work.

222. Did your water/yeast mixture ever get frothy? If it didn’t either your yeast is old or your water was too hot and killed it. If it did get frothy and you still didn’t get any bubbles that is more perplexing. Was your skillet fully preheated before you put it in the pan? If the pan is too cold you won’t really get any bubbles. Did your dough ever double in size after kneading? If it never rose then there must be a problem with the yeast. It’s hard to say without watching you make it :P Hopefully that helped!

223. I can’t get the dough to bubble!! What did I do wrong?

224. I’m shocked to have never stumbled upon your site before. Love it! My naan dough is rising as I type…

I found this recipe about three weeks ago — and have made it three times since! Once question though. Mine, while they taste perfect, don’t have “bubbles” that are as large as yours. (And I really want the big bubbles as it looks more authentic!) Any tips?

Thank you for a lovely recipe!

• Lakme Shah says:

Make you naan thinner and roll evenly all over. I had the same problem with the first 3 i made, then i rolled it out a little thinner and bam! got the same bubbles as her :). Love Love Love your blog Beth…

226. try to cook it using clarified butter instead of spray, it makes a HUGE difference!!

227. This recipe looks amazing! My husband and I recently discovered the wonders of naan and I use it to make just about anything! I am definitely going to have to try making it for myself.

228. My cousin just forwarded this blog to me, and I’m so glad she did. Now I CAN make naan! Hip hip hooray!!! Thanks for the step by step photos.

229. Amazing. You never cease to impress! Your pizza dough has become a staple in our house for pizza and calzones and I really look forward to trying this recipe out. Have you ever considered a recipe for sandwich bread?

230. this was AMAZING!!! i was a little intimidated at first- but it turned out great! Thanks for the amazing recipe! and i really hope you do make a cookbook! i would def buy it! :)

231. just wanted to thank you for this delicious recipe! It turned out awesome. I served it with Channa and coconut milk curry. =D This is a keeper.

232. Most breads do freeze well although I’ve never tried to freeze naan. I’ve seen frozen naan in the grocery store so it probably works! (That’s secretly how I gauge whether or not I should try to freeze something… do they sell it in the store frozen? hahah)

Doubling in size is really just an estimate. The time required depends on the temperature inside your house; warmer temps mean a faster rise. It usually takes mine about 45 minutes. In a really hot house with no AC (we’re talking in the 90 degree range) it would still probably take 30 minutes or so. In a cold house it will take closer to an hour. This step doesn’t have to be exact, you just want the dough to have risen considerably.

Hope that helps!

about how long does it take to “double in size”? (or, how does one measure that?)

• There is one of two ways you can gauge whether it has doubled in size:
      1.) Eyeball it.

2.) When you think that it has about doubled in bulk, gently poke it with two fingers. If it moves to fill up that spot, it’s not ready. If it does nothing really, it’s done.

can you freeze these?

235. These look so good! I love naan. Also, I love those step-by-step photos–makes things look a lot easier.

236. This looks really easy. Thanks for posting!

237. Wow, I was actually planning on making naan (for the first time) tonight! I’ve been eyeing this recipe, which looks just as easy and especially flavorful: http://guiltykitchen.com/2009/12/garlic-naan/ Maybe you’ll try some of your own variations since you’re planning on making more anyway?

238. I am so glad i found your place. I have given up making Naan as it never comes out fluffy like in your picute and i only make the inidian roties or chapathies.
    Sure gonna try your way.

239. I was so excited that this recipe was coming up. I’ve been craving all kinds of indian food, including roti’s, and so I’m definitely going to try this out!

240. This recipe looks like it turns out a really nice bread. I was surprised to see an egg in though since Hindus don’t eat them. I’m very tempted to try it sometime though, I’m not Hindu :)

241. Ghee is clarified butter, pretty common in Indian food. You make it by boiling butter until all the water comes off, leaving only the fats.

• Beth Cooper says:

I make it by putting butter in a dish on the stove when I bake. By the time dinner’s ready it’s separated and I can pour the top off. BTW I discovered this by accident so don’t think I’m clever. Just lazy.

242. I can’t wait to try this! What is Ghee?

• Don C says:

my breadmaking attempts are usually an “epic fail” so we buy ours at the supermarket, and use them to make individual flat bread pizzas

Should definitely look into compiling a cookbook.

“Budgebytes” – Edible food for on the budget foodies.

lots of pics, pricing charts and detailed instructions for any level cook.