Homemade Naan

And now for the much anticipated Naan recipe!

If you’re unfamiliar with naan, it is basically just an Indian style flat bread. Okay, maybe it’s not “just” flat bread. This stuff is AMAZING. It is soft, pillowy, full of lovely bubbles and so extremely versatile. You can eat this along side of a meal to sop up gravies and juices, you can make flat bread sandwiches with it, top it with tomato sauce and cheese for a quick personal pizza, use it in place of tortillas for quesadillas… the possibilities are endless!!

This recipe is so quick, easy and delicious that it is most definitely my new favorite yeast bread recipe. I can’t quite get enough of it. My favorite way to eat it so far is to use it for my breakfast quesadillas or to just melt some mozzarella in it with a slight sprinkle of garlic powder… oh, it’s divine!

Big props to The Novice Chef blog for posting the original recipe. I looked at so many recipes before making naan and this was the simplest, most delicious looking recipe that required me to buy the fewest number of ingredients (just the yogurt!).

Homemade Naan

Homemade Naan

naan

• 2 tsp dry active yeast $0.19
  • 1 tsp sugar $0.02
  • ½ cup water $0.00
  • 2½-3 cups flour $0.18
  • ½ tsp salt $0.05
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil $0.15
  • ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt $0.56
  • 1 large egg $0.12
  1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top. At that point, stir in the oil, yogurt and egg until evenly combined.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, add the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can no longer stir it with a spoon (about 1 to 1.5 cups later).
  3. At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top. Knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. I ended up using about 3 cups of flour total. The dough should be smooth and very soft but not sticky.
  4. Loosely cover the dough and let it rise until double in size (about 45 minutes). After it rises, gently flatten the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball by stretching the dough back under itself until the top is smooth and round.
  5. Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about ¼ inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the under side is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface (see photos below). Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Serve plain or brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with herbs!

TIPS: For the most bubbles, don’t roll out the ball of dough until just before it is ready to be placed in the skillet. I experimented with different skillet temperatures and found that a medium heat produces the most bubbles in the dough and does not burn the surface.

Homemade Naan

yeast sugar waterStart by dissolving the sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Allow to sit and get frothy.

yogurt oil eggThen mix in the oil, egg and greek yogurt. I was disappointed to find that I was out of regular cooking oil and had to use olive oil which is much more expensive… but it adds to the flavor so, oh well!

stir em upStir those all up until they’re well mixed.

flour saltIn a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour and salt together until they’re evenly mixed.

wet dryThen add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can’t stir it with a spoon.

kneadTurn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top and knead for 3 minutes. Add flour as needed until you have a smooth, very soft ball of dough. I used about 3 cups of flour total for the recipe.

let riseShape the dough into a ball, loosely cover and let rise until it is double in size.

cut doughAfter it has risen, flatten it out slightly and cut into 8 equal size pieces.

shape into ballShape each piece into a small, smooth ball.

roll out doughHeat a skillet over medium flame and lightly coat with non-stick spray. Roll out a ball of dough until it is 1/4 inch thick or about 6 inches in diameter.

skillet 1skillet 2skillet 3Place the rolled out dough in the hot skillet and cook on one side until large bubbles form and the side touching the skillet is golden brown.

flip naanFlip the dough over and cook on the second side until golden brown as well.

brown bubbles naanThe side that formed bubbles makes the pretty pattern characteristic of naan when it browns!

Homemade Naan

Brush the naan with melted butter, garlic butter or traditional ghee!

The small 8 oz. container of greek yogurt that I bought still hase 2/3 cup left in it which means that I can make two more batches of naan! Because yogurt is a cultured milk product, it has a long refrigerator life so I WON’T be letting it go to waste :)

Every time I go to make bread (of any kind) I remember that I want to buy a dough scraper… yet I forget every time I’m at the store! Ugh!

1. Lisa B2 says:

Wow! This naan bread is awesome. So easy! I didn’t have yogourt but used sour cream instead. And I brushed on a little garlic butter before they cooled down. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!!

2. Tina says:

This is a good start but it was very bland to me. I made it a second time using sour cream (was out of yogurt) and 1 tsp garlic powder. I also sprinkled salt on the naan while it was cooking. Much much better tasting!

3. This is our go-to naan recipe! We use it a few times a month. It’s super easy and I make homemade yogurt often which is great to use in your recipe!

4. Stephanie French says:

Hi, I am making this as well as your dal nirvana, and I have a quick question. If I want to add garlic, at what stage should I put it in? And would you sautee it a little first or put it in raw and let it cook with the bread? Thanks so much, love your recipes. I make the skilled chilli with cornbread at least once a month.

• Honestly, I’ve been trying to figure out what would be the best way to add garlic, too. I tried adding garlic powder one time and it wasn’t as flavorful as I hoped. I think the best idea would be to make garlic butter (heat minced garlic in butter for a few minutes), then brush it on the outside of the cooked bread.

5. I love this recipe!! It was so easy to make. Question though if I wanted to make it a little healthier and use whole wheat flour do you know how I could do that still using this recipe?

• You’d have to experiment with the moisture levels, probably adding a bit more water, since ww flour tends to absorb more. To avoid having it be really dense, which is what ww flour usually ends up doing, I’d use half ww flour and half all purpose flour. You can also try ww pastry flour, which is ground a bit finer. That might help it be lighter.

6. oum saffiya says:

definitely on my to do-list ! thanks for yet another great recipe.

PS. what an expensive dough scraper. I bought a few months ago one in plastic for only 1€ and it works perfectly. I would suggest the shop, but hey that is in Belgium !

7. Allison says:

I had no idea naan was this easy to make. Yuuuuuum. Thanks for the recipe and easy to follow steps and pics. :)

8. Jennifer says:

Amazing! How would I go about doubling (or tripling) the recipe and saving them for another night? I’m always worried about making recipes bigger. Would this freeze well?

9. Danyel says:

Great directions. I’d never worked with yeast before and this went off without a hitch. I wish I’d made better note of the tip not to roll out each ball until it’s ready to go in the pan. I stacked mine and let them sit for a bit and it made them harder to work with. I also learned that it’s better to leave them a little underdone than overdone because overdone cracks when you fill it. My kids fought over the last piece.

10. Darrian says:

HAHA omg I started freaking out a little bit when first mixing the yeast, sugar and water. I was like “OMG what did I do wrong??!!?! why wont it froth?!” then I read on the packet of yeast that it says allow it to sit for 10 minutes :P hehe

11. Darrian says:

Could you possibly make a video of making the small balls??? I’m a little confused, it’s probably a lot simpler than what I’m thinking, but it would be very much appreciated to see it done!!

• I know, it’s super hard to explain with words, but yes, it is an easy task. :) If I had video making skills, I would definitely do so. Hopefully in the future!

12. Tommie says:

I’ve made this before, and like all of your other recipes, it was a total hit at my house. However, now one of my family members is off dairy and I was wanting to make this to go with the indian creamed spinach. Do you think using coconut milk in both recipes would work out?

• Hmm… I’ve never baked bread with coconut milk before, but I do know that it will change the flavor quite a bit. The yogurt gives this bread a subtle but distinct tart flavor (kind of like sour dough) that it won’t have with coconut milk. If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turns out!

• My son is allergic to dairy, and I use coconut milk in most things. When it calls for yogurt or sour cream, I use the So Delicious brand of coconut yogurt. That would probably work for this, though it will definitely give it a coconut flavor. Might be delicious with Beth’s coconut curry chicken.

13. Matt V says:

Wow! Fantastic! This Naan recipe is just great! I made double the recipe, which I will do for now on. The double recipe made about 16 naan 6 x 6 in naan , and trust me this will be eaten fast. Than I simply froze the rest.

14. Kristen says:

GREAT RECIPE! We’ve wanted to make naan for a while, but most recipes are too much work. Thankfully, yours came along because it was excellent. A bit nervous trying it since the last time we used yeast it was a struggle and your instructions were different from that on the actually yeast packet. Worked fine! Only ended up using about 2 cups of flour in the end I think, but still worked great. Had to turn our pan up a bit to make it bubble, but there were no problems frying. Even less problems eating! Thanks!

15. iluminameluna says:

I’ve made naan before and yours is the most basic recipe I’ve seen. Thanks for making it easy for my friends, I couldn’t make it simpler! I like to add chopped onions to mine but that’s just me. As for your forgetting to get a dough scraper, don’t get it at the store! Go to your local 2nd hand store and you’ll not only help your wallet but you’ll be recycling something as well and if it’s a charity store, helping the cash help a good cause as well. It’s where I go for the small kitchen things. Cheers!

16. Miralina says:

I just made this and it came out REALLY well!!! My Indian food obsessed 5 year old is ecstatic. It is so much cheaper than buying Naan from the local indian grocery, and tastes just as good!! :) I’ll be making this very often. Thanks so much!

17. Anna says:

This naan was wonderful – easy to make and everything I needed to make it I already had! I tend to be intimidated by Indian food (lots of spices and usually a lot of steps), so we only eat it on rare occasions when we eat out. I am going to make your recipe for dal next.

18. Lisa B says:

I just made this Naan bread for our Sunday Night dinner served with oil and balsamic vinegar and it is absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

19. This looks amazing! Do you have any advice on making this with whole wheat flour? Do you think that I’ll have to make any adaptations?

Thank you for the great recipe!

• You’ll probably need to use a little less flour as you knead it in because whole wheat flour absorbs more moisture than all-purpose. It might not make bubbles as nicely, either, since whole wheat doughs tend to be a little more dense. If you do try it, please let us know how it turns out! I’d love to know. :)

• Courtney says:

I tried using whole wheat flour tonight, and they were delicious. I probably used about 2 1/2 c. of flour, but the yogurt I used was not Greek style, so it was more liquid-y. Perhaps that had an impact on how much flour I used. In any case, the recipe worked very well! Success!