Homemade Naan

And now for the much anticipated Naan recipe!

If you’re unfamiliar with naan, it is basically just an Indian style flat bread. Okay, maybe it’s not “just” flat bread. This stuff is AMAZING. It is soft, pillowy, full of lovely bubbles and so extremely versatile. You can eat this along side of a meal to sop up gravies and juices, you can make flat bread sandwiches with it, top it with tomato sauce and cheese for a quick personal pizza, use it in place of tortillas for quesadillas… the possibilities are endless!!

This recipe is so quick, easy and delicious that it is most definitely my new favorite yeast bread recipe. I can’t quite get enough of it. My favorite way to eat it so far is to use it for my breakfast quesadillas or to just melt some mozzarella in it with a slight sprinkle of garlic powder… oh, it’s divine!

Big props to The Novice Chef blog for posting the original recipe. I looked at so many recipes before making naan and this was the simplest, most delicious looking recipe that required me to buy the fewest number of ingredients (just the yogurt!).

Homemade Naan

Homemade Naan

naan

• 2 tsp dry active yeast $0.19
  • 1 tsp sugar $0.02
  • ½ cup water $0.00
  • 2½-3 cups flour $0.18
  • ½ tsp salt $0.05
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil $0.15
  • ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt $0.56
  • 1 large egg $0.12
  1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top. At that point, stir in the oil, yogurt and egg until evenly combined.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, add the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can no longer stir it with a spoon (about 1 to 1.5 cups later).
  3. At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top. Knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. I ended up using about 3 cups of flour total. The dough should be smooth and very soft but not sticky.
  4. Loosely cover the dough and let it rise until double in size (about 45 minutes). After it rises, gently flatten the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball by stretching the dough back under itself until the top is smooth and round.
  5. Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about ¼ inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the under side is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface (see photos below). Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Serve plain or brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with herbs!

TIPS: For the most bubbles, don’t roll out the ball of dough until just before it is ready to be placed in the skillet. I experimented with different skillet temperatures and found that a medium heat produces the most bubbles in the dough and does not burn the surface.

Homemade Naan

yeast sugar waterStart by dissolving the sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Allow to sit and get frothy.

yogurt oil eggThen mix in the oil, egg and greek yogurt. I was disappointed to find that I was out of regular cooking oil and had to use olive oil which is much more expensive… but it adds to the flavor so, oh well!

stir em upStir those all up until they’re well mixed.

flour saltIn a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour and salt together until they’re evenly mixed.

wet dryThen add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can’t stir it with a spoon.

kneadTurn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top and knead for 3 minutes. Add flour as needed until you have a smooth, very soft ball of dough. I used about 3 cups of flour total for the recipe.

let riseShape the dough into a ball, loosely cover and let rise until it is double in size.

cut doughAfter it has risen, flatten it out slightly and cut into 8 equal size pieces.

shape into ballShape each piece into a small, smooth ball.

roll out doughHeat a skillet over medium flame and lightly coat with non-stick spray. Roll out a ball of dough until it is 1/4 inch thick or about 6 inches in diameter.

skillet 1skillet 2skillet 3Place the rolled out dough in the hot skillet and cook on one side until large bubbles form and the side touching the skillet is golden brown.

flip naanFlip the dough over and cook on the second side until golden brown as well.

brown bubbles naanThe side that formed bubbles makes the pretty pattern characteristic of naan when it browns!

Homemade Naan

Brush the naan with melted butter, garlic butter or traditional ghee!

The small 8 oz. container of greek yogurt that I bought still hase 2/3 cup left in it which means that I can make two more batches of naan! Because yogurt is a cultured milk product, it has a long refrigerator life so I WON’T be letting it go to waste :)

Every time I go to make bread (of any kind) I remember that I want to buy a dough scraper… yet I forget every time I’m at the store! Ugh!

1. susanne says:

i just made these for the second time, with a couple of changes. first time i used bread flour, because that’s what i had. the dough was very springy, and the breads shrunk between rolling and baking, so they were sort of thick rounds. this time i used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups all purpose flour. the rise wasn’t as dramatic in the bowl, but the breads puffed and bubbled beautifully on the griddle. they are much thinner, more toothsome, and flavorful. i highly recommend this combo of flours.

also, the first time i tried to make rounds– so pretty! this time, i rolled them quite thin, not attempting a special shape. almost all came out sort of longish ovals, which fit really well diagonally on my two-burner iron griddle. the longish shape is great for tearing in two, or folding over.

i cut the ball of dough into 16 pieces, rolled them out thin, and have a whole lot of lovely naan.

thanks again for this recipe, beth.

2. Christina says:

Just made these to go with the moroccan lentil an veggie stew. Both turned out very very yummy, thank you so much for these great recipes.
    I changes two things: I added diced chicken to the stew and substituted the greek yogurt in the naan with quark (I’m from Germany and although we have greek yogurt here, I don’t usually have it in the fridge). Quark worked fine, too.
    I’ll definitely try more of your recipes :)

3. Jelena says:

I can’t wait to make them today. Can you please just explain at what point can I freeze them? Before or after cooking?
    Thank you so much!

• Hi jelena, they freeze great after cooking. Just make sure to let them cool completely. :)

• Jelena says:

Thanks! Dough is rising right now, regards from the other side of the planet. I looove your blog, by the way ;)

• Made these three days ago, but only cooked half of them, the remaining balls went into the freezer. This morning I took them out and let them thaw in the fridge during the day.

I must say that they actually came out much better when I cooked them this evening!

It may have to do with the buns being cooler and less elastic from the fridge, making it possible to roll them out a bit thinner than when the dough was freshly made.

• Mechanistika says:

As someone who makes Naan and Roti regularly (I’m from India) I can say with confidence that dough that has been left overnight in the fridge will make better Rotis and Naans. The lack of elasticity DEFINITELY aids in it, but my dough usually ends up thicker after a night in the fridge. Which then makes fluffier Rotis and Naans.

4. Sarah says:

Just made these earlier this afternoom and they were great! I subbed heavy cream for the yogurt and they tasted fine but I will definitely make it again with the proper ingredients to get more flavor.

I don’t know if anyone else had this issue but you may want to open a window while making these since my kitchen got a bit smokey!

5. susanne says:

yowza!!
    i’d started some curried lentils in the slow cooker ( had enough heavy, rich food for a while… plus there’s a heavy, poor person in my mirror ). thought i’d make some white rice to go with, but somehow i’ve run out. then i remember this naan recipe, and decided to give it a try. excellent decision!

i had only regular, full fat, plain yogurt so used that, and diminished the water to a scant half cup. stayed with your olive oil, though pricier– so flavorful and aromatic. the dough stirred up quickly, rose to double as promised, and was easy to handle.

feeling proud and frisky, i thought i’d cheat by using the tortilla press instead of rolling out the little rounds. bad choice. they squished out to the right shape, then immediately sprung back into a little thick round. amazing to watch them shrink between the counter and the stove :)

but no prob– rolling with a pin was simple and not at all sticky. and they kept their shape all the way (3 feet) to the stove.

i used my double burner lodge pancake griddle, and set it up over medium heat, but things were cooking too fast, so i ended up with it more medium-low. nice bubbling and wonderful flavor.

anyone thinking of trying this but saying, nah, this cannot actually be easy– go ahead and do it. so glad i did!

6. celi says:

Really excellent recipe! Tastes like the naan in a restaurant. Everyone was impressed by this bread! I can’t believe how easy this was to make!

7. melody says:

This recipe is pretty simple to follow and looked delicious so I tried it and it came out great. One thing I did though, I didn’t have yogurt available so I used whole milk instead. Still amazing…will definitely try this with yogurt but surely, this recipe will be on my dinner table everytime I have a curry dish…thanks a bunch, Beth.

8. Erin says:

Looks amazing! How long does the dough stay fresh? Can you make these a day ahead of time or should they be eaten ASAP?

9. I love this recipe! I’ve made it three times now, and each time is better than the last. I’ll make a batch on Saturday and have one piece a day (with one extra for any roommates that might be lingering). Its great with currys, but Ive also used it as sandwich bread or eaten it with jam in the mornings.

10. Leah says:

Have you ever used egg whites with recipe? I just made a soup that took all my egg yokes and I’m left with 6 egg whites… What do you think?

• They’re great for macarons! Or you can make an all egg white omelette or frittata. Just fill it up with some fatty things (cheese) to make up for the lack of yolk. ;) (that was kind of a joke… kind of.)

11. sarah says:

do you think this bread would freeze well?

12. Emily says:

What would you recommend as a substitute for the yogurt? I do not like yogurt and don’t want to buy any just to try the recipe as I would not use up the rest!

• Sour cream might work, but really the yogurt is a key ingredient here and makes the flavor and texture of the bread unique.

13. Lisa says:

So easy and amazing! My boys had some for breakfast with butter and jam!

14. Jessica says:

This was so delicious and simple! It was the perfect addition to a low fat chicken tikka masala dish I made last night. Thank you for your great recipes!

15. just made this tonight… deeelish! So glad I found your site. Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful recipes!