This one is for all of you out there who enjoy crazy egg sandwich concoctions like me (or maybe you don’t know you do until you try Chili Garlic Breakfast Quesadillas or Egg Florentine Quesadillas). Either way, you won’t find this at Burger King and I have to say, it’s their loss.
This really should be called the “Lauren Sandwich” but I like to give recipes names that indicate what’s in them. So, I’ll just refer to it as the “Lauren” in casual conversation. Lauren is my crazy canuck of a roommate who came up with the idea of combining jalapeno cilantro hummus with an egg sandwich. It’s pure genius. The hummus is tangy, spicy and creamy all at the same time which adds so much excitement (yes, excitement) to the basic egg sandwich. What’s better yet is that because the hummus is so creamy, there is no need to add cheese. It’s just pure goodness.
The original Lauren Sandwich was made on a hearty, toasted bread but I’m an English Muffin fanatic so that’s what I used. Also, spinach is completely optional. I just have a bag of it in my fridge that I’m trying to use up. I do wish I had some tomato laying around because tomato would be PERFECT with this sandwich.
Jalapeno Hummus Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 english muffin $0.20
- 1 large egg $0.15
- ¼ cup jalapeno cilantro hummus $0.22
- ¼ cup spinach (optional) $0.08
- as needed non-stick spray $0.05
- Fry an egg in a skillet with non-stick spray over medium-high heat. Toast the english muffin as the egg cooks.
- Spread about ¼ cup of hummus on the toasted english muffin. Layer on a few leaves of spinach (if desired) and top with the fried egg. Enjoy!