I’m all about the “sensible splurge” or letting yourself have a little fun once in a while to help prevent a deprivation induced breakdown. It’s like cheat day on your diet, but with your spending. My favorite sensible splurge is to do a big delicious breakfast on the weekend, which helps curb my desire to go out to brunch. I’ve really come to enjoy my splurgy weekend breakfasts because A) I can stay in my pajamas, B) my coffee is way better than any restaurant coffee, and C) there’s no wait time for a table. Today’s sensible splurge weekend breakfast were these awesome Brown Sugar Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayo.
Balancing Sensible Splurges
There are two ingredients that I really splurged on this time: thick cut bacon and big beautiful Brioche buns. The tomato was pretty expensive too, but that wasn’t an intentional splurge. Despite these expensive ingredients, these sandwiches were only $2.45 each, which is a fraction of what it would have cost had we gone out to brunch. Total WIN.
If you can’t splurge as big as I did on ingredients today, you can totally use regular thickness bacon and whatever your favorite bread is instead of the brioche. Making those two swaps will probably cut the price in half. If you’re vegetarian you can try swapping the brown sugar bacon for either sliced avocado, or cheddar cheese.
This recipe is written for four sandwiches, but it would be super simple to scale up or down as needed.
Brown Sugar Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayo
BROWN SUGAR BACON
- 4 slices bacon ($2.33)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar ($0.08)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise ($0.66)
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder ($0.05)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 4 brioche buns ($3.49)
- 4 eggs ($1.06)
- 1 large tomato ($1.12)
- 1 head lettuce* ( $0.99)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil, then place two wire cooling racks over the foil. Lay the bacon across the wire racks. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon and pat it into the surface lightly. Bake the bacon in the preheated oven until brown and crispy. (About 10 minutes for regular bacon or 20 minutes for thick cut bacon. Watch the bacon closely as every oven is different.)
- While bacon is cooking, prepare the chipotle mayo and sandwich toppings. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, chipotle powder, and garlic powder. Cover the mayo and refrigerate until ready to use. Slice the tomato into thick rounds. Wash and shake dry the lettuce. Slice the buns in half.
- Fry or scramble four eggs to your liking.
- When the bacon is finished, let it cool until it's no longer too hot to handle. Break each slice in half so that it better fits the sandwich. Spread a tablespoon of the chipotle mayo on each side of the bun, add a lettuce leaf or two, a slice of tomato, an egg, and one slice of bacon (broken into two short strips). Enjoy!
Love savory breakfast dishes? Check out our Savory Breakfast Category!
That yolk, though. 🤤
Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil, then place two wire racks on top. Lay four slices of bacon over the top of the racks, then sprinkle about 2 Tbsp brown sugar over the bacon.
Lightly at the brown sugar into the surface of the bacon. (I cooked six strips because we had six strips saved in the freezer, so I just decided to cook them all. I only used one slice per sandwich, though. The other two were just eaten like candy!).
Cook the bacon in the preheated oven until brown and crispy. We had super thick cut bacon, so it took about 20 minutes. Regular bacon will probably take half that amount of time. Regardless of which type of bacon you have, watch it closely as every oven is a little bit different.
While the bacon is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. To make the chipotle mayo, stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder, and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. Cover the mayo and refrigerate it until you’re ready to build the sandwiches.
This is the chipotle chili powder I used, BTW. It gives a nice smoky, spicy flavor to all sorts of dishes, like tacos, chili, fajitas, and mayonnaise!
Wash and shake dry a few lettuce leaves. Slice a large tomato into thick rounds.
Cook four eggs using your favorite method. I just do a little non-stick spray in a skillet and fry until the whites are done and the yolk is still runny.
Slice four brioche buns in half and spread about 1 Tbsp of chipotle mayo on each side.
Add a little lettuce, a slice of tomato, an egg, and a slice of bacon (broken in half to fit) to each bun.
And then you’re ready to eat your amazing Brown Sugar Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches!
Oh that yolk… those are the things weekend dreams are made of. ;)