Am I the only one who always ends up with leftover corn tortillas hanging out in the back of their fridge? I never seem to use a full package when making tacos. Luckily, it only takes a few minutes to make a small batch of Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips out of my leftover tortillas. These Homemade Baked Tortilla chips are not only super inexpensive and a great way to reduce waste, but since you can make any amount at one time, it’s like automatic portion control. No massive bag of chips staring you down from the pantry. ;)
Originally posted 11-3-15, updated 8-4-18.
What Kind of Tortillas Do I Need?
I prefer small (6-inch) corn tortillas for this recipe. You can use either white or yellow corn tortillas. You can bake flour tortillas the same way, although the baking time may differ slightly, so you’ll want to keep a close eye on them.
How Do You Flavor Homemade Tortilla Chips?
I made two small batches today (6 tortillas each), one with just salt, and one with salt and chili powder. You can add just about any seasoning blend you’d like to these chips, but I would definitely suggest making a plain batch first to get a hang for the timing with your oven. Adding seasoning can make it difficult to see the color of the chips and therefor gauge their doneness.
For seasoning blends that contain ingredients other than just spices and herbs (like ranch, which would contain dehydrated buttermilk), you may want to toss the chips in the seasoning after baking, to prevent the seasoning from cooking or burning.
What to Serve With Baked Tortilla Chips
Since you’re already making homemade chips, you might as well make some Hot Corn Dip, Fire Roasted Salsa, Ever Avocado Dip, 5-Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce, Hummus, or Spicy Chorizo Cheese Dip to go with it!
Baked Tortilla Chips
- 6 small corn tortillas ($0.32)
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.02)
- 1 pinch salt ($0.05)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Stack the tortillas on top of each other, then cut into six equal sized wedges.
- Place the cut tortillas in a large bowl and drizzle the oil over top. Gently toss the tortilla pieces in the oil until they're all lightly coated. Other herbs and spices can be added at this time, if desired.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread the tortilla pieces out over the surface so that they're in a single layer and overlapping as little as possible. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake the chips for ten minutes, then gently stir and flip the chips. Return the chips to the oven and bake until golden brown (3-5 minutes more). Season with salt once more.
- Allow the chips to cool before serving. They will crisp even further as they cool down.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Work in batches, according to how many pieces of tortilla can fit on your baking sheet in a single layer, without overlapping. For me, that’s about six small corn tortillas.
Place the cut pieces in a large bowl and drizzle with 1/2 Tbsp oil. Gently toss the tortilla pieces in oil until they’re evenly coated. I say “gently” because raw tortillas can rip if they’re man-handled, so just be a little careful. :)
For my second batch, I also added 1/2 tsp chili powder when tossing them in oil.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread the chips out over the surface so that they’re in a single layer and overlapping as little as possible. Season lightly with salt.
Bake the chips in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, then take them out to stir and flip. Return them to the oven and then bake until they’re golden brown (about 3-5 minutes more). Every oven is a little different and different brands of tortillas may be thicker or thinner. So, be sure to watch the chips closely and adjust the cooking time as needed. Season with salt once more after they come out of the oven and let them cool completely.
The baked tortilla chips will crisp up a little further as they cool.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips ON DEMAND! :D Dig in, my friend!