Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

I’m loving these one skillet meals not only because they’re so easy to make, but because they’re so easy to eat. Instead of filling my plate with a main dish and a couple of sides, I’ve got everything I need in one bowl. Carbs, fiber, protein, vegetables, and CHEESE. Ha, jk (not jk).

Anyway. Since making my Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas over three years ago, I’ve been in love with that flavor combination. Spicy Mexican Chorizo and the subtle sweetness of sweet potatoes go so incredibly well together and I just can’t get enough of it. So, for this skillet meal I paired up the famous flavor duo and cooked them together with rice, black beans, and green salsa (the same method used for the Southwest Chicken Skillet). I don’t know if there’s an easier way to pack in so much flavor with so little effort.

And, BONUS, this one freezes super duper well, so it’s a great candidate for stocking your freezer with ready to reheat meals!

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

• 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
  • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $0.99
  • ½ lb. Mexican chorizo $1.67
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans $1.19
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice $0.33
  • 1 cup salsa (green or red) $1.54
  • 1¾ cup chicken broth $0.23
  • 1 cup shredded cheese $1.20
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced $0.26
  1. Peel and dice the sweet potato into ½ to ¾ inch cubes (size matters, make them small). Sauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened about half way through (they'll cook more later).
  2. Squeeze the chorizo out of its casing into the skillet with the sweet potatoes. Sauté the chorizo and sweet potatoes together, breaking the chorizo up into small pieces as it browns.
  3. Once the chorizo is fully browned, pour off any excess grease if needed. Rinse and drain the black beans. Add the beans, salsa, and uncooked rice to the skillet. Stir them into the sweet potatoes and chorizo until everything is well combined.
  4. Add the chicken broth, stir briefly, then place a lid on the skillet. Allow the contents of the skillet to come up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Let the skillet simmer on low for 30 minutes. Make sure it is simmering the whole time (you should be able to hear it quietly simmer away). If it is not, turn the heat up slightly.
  5. After 30 minutes the rice should be tender and have absorbed all of the liquid. Turn off the heat, fluff the mixture, sprinkle the cheese on top, then return the lid to trap the residual heat and help the cheese melt. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top and serve.
Notes
You can use either green or red salsa for this dish, but I prefer green to compliment the sweet potatoes and chorizo.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet bowl

Step by Step Photos

Dice Sweet PotatoFirst, peel and cut the sweet potato into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes. The easiest way to do this is to first cut the sweet potato into rounds, then cut the rounds into cubes. If a few of your rounds are about the same size, you can stack them before cutting them crosswise into cubes. Making the cubes too big will prevent them from cooking through completely, so make sure not to go any larger than about 3/4 inch. Mine were on the large side (and this is a close up).

Sauté Sweet PotatoesSauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat for about five minutes. You want them to cook about half way through at this point. You’ll notice that they turn a little bit darker and slightly translucent as they begin to soften.

ChorizoThis is the type of chorizo I use. I only used two links, which is about 1/2 lb. Johnsonville is a large national brand and is available in most major super markets. It’s basically just pork sausage seasoned with Mexican spices. If buying another brand, make sure to check the ingredients and package well because not all chorizo is created equal (I bought some in a “tube” once and it was VERY fatty and not very pleasant).

Browned ChorizoSqueeze the chorizo out of the casing into the skillet and continue to sauté until the chorizo is fully browned. If your chorizo has let off a lot of grease, you may want to drain it from the skillet at this point.

Salsa and BeansNext add one cup of your favorite salsa and one 15-oz. can of black beans (rinsed and drained). I decided to use a green salsa for this recipe because I didn’t have any poblano peppers like in my original enchilada recipe. This salsa was on sale and it turned out pretty good!

Salsa Rice and BeansIn addition to the salsa and beans, also add one cup of uncooked long grain white rice. Stir all of these ingredients together until they are very well mixed. (Brown rice can not be easily substituted for white rice in this recipe. The liquid and cooking time would need to be increased if using brown rice, but I haven’t experimented with the ratios.)

Chicken BrothLastly, add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth to the skillet. Give it a quick stir.

Simmer SkilletPlace the lid on the skillet and allow it to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer (with the lid on) for 30 minutes. Make sure you can hear it simmering the whole time. Every range will have its “sweet spot” heat setting where the skillet will be simmering, but not so hot that the bottom scorches. Mine is just slightly above the low setting. Using a thick, heavy skillet will help it to cook thoroughly and evenly, too.

Cooked Chorizo SkilletAfter 30 minutes, the rice should be tender and all of the liquid absorbed. If it isn’t, cover it back up and let it go for another 5-10 minutes. Like I said, every skillet/range is different. If the heat was set too low, it will take just a bit longer. If it was too high, it may be sticking to the bottom of the skillet.

Fluff Chorizo SkilletOnce the rice is tender and it has absorbed all the liquid, turn off the heat and fluff it up with a fork to mix the ingredients back together.

Cheese and Green Onions.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, then cover it back up with the lid. This will trap the residual heat and melt the cheese. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet close upBoxed skillet meals ain’t got nuthin’ on this!

Chorizo Sweet Potato SkilletOh man, I already want to make a second batch!

1. Blair says:

This was soooo good. I’ve known about your site for a couple of years now, but just recently I have been trying more and more of your recipes. If I am going to cook/eat at home I MUST have a ton of flavor and variety. You knock it out of the park every time!

2. Lesley says:

Um HUGE HIT! Super easy and super yummy. Thanks for this, and all of your other amazing recipes. I can’t wait to get down on this for lunch leftovers today!

3. Haiber says:

Hi Beth,

On the account of not finding chorizo at my local store and not wanting going to the expensive store, I opted for using the shredded chicken I had left over in the freezer. But I’m not sure how long to sauté the sweet potato. You mention 5 minutes but with the chorizo added, the time increases. Should 10 minutes instead of 5 be enough before I add the chicken/beans/rice/salsa?

I’ve been making your southwest skillet, so I decided to try this and see how the sweet potatoes add to the flavour. Thank You.

• I think it will definitely depend on how small the sweet potatoes are cut. Just keep an eye on it and move to the next step when the sweet potatoes start to get tender. They’ll also turn a slightly darker and almost translucent in color (instead of that opaque orange color).

4. Rebecca says:

I just made this and it was awesome! I’m in australia and couldn’t find the same chorizo you used, but it still tasted good. I ended up putting it in the oven to finish off because I couldn’t get the sweet potatoes to cook but it still came out really yummy (and slightly crispy around the edges, yum!!) – I think next time I will try it with pork mince and some chilli/mexican spice since we can’t get mexican chorizo here.

5. Wow – fabulous dish. We quadrupled it to feed our big family (and have lots of leftovers!) and I’m so glad we did. We used a combo of sweet italian and andouille sausage because we had it in the freezer and it was excellent. This will reheat well and everyone had several servings. Another hit from your website!

6. Where I live, mexican chorizo is a lot more expensive than I expected. My results produced something that was pretty sweet and spicy, but also a bit greasy for my taste.

• Chorizo does vary quite a bit. I used one brand once that was mostly fat and I wasn’t a fan at all. I really like the Johnsonville brand, if you can get it. It’s a national brand, but they don’t always offer all of their products in all stores.

7. Just wanted to say that this came out really well; I used red salsa and hot Italian sausage and it was delicious. I think you should definitely come up with more skillet recipes, because they’re amazing!

8. Hannah says:

I made this last night, and my husband and I both loved it–and since he does most of the dishes, he also loved that there was only one pot to clean up. :) Every recipe I’ve tried from you has been a success. Your oven fajitas and taco chicken bowls get cooked at least once a month, and now I’ll be adding this one to the rotation. Thanks for sharing such delicious, affordable, and easy recipes!

9. Beth…I literally can’t even. This is STUPIDLY delicious. Thank you. I couldn’t find chorizo in my usual grocery store, so I used spicy Italian sausage instead. I also went with mild salsa since I figure spicy salsa might be overkill combined with spicy sausage.

10. Joanna says:

Lots of flavor, and so easy. After the 30 minute simmer, I still had a lot of uncooked rice. I added more water, and simmered for another 20 minutes.

11. Elizabeth says:

I made this last week – I tried to use brown rice instead of white rice and I couldn’t get the rice to cook as well as I would have liked. I think it would have turned out better if I had followed the recipe (I plan to make it again with white rice) – so beware if you try to substitute brown rice.

12. Dena says:

I couldn’t find chorizo the day I wanted to make it so I went with hot Italian sausage. It was delicious!

13. This could be one of my new favorite dishes…it had so much flavor! I had a sweet potato that needed to be used, some chorizo in the freezer, and not a ton of time to prep, so it was this recipe to the rescue! I’m trying to stay ahead of the holiday lbs. so I didn’t put cheese on it, but I really didn’t feel like I was missing anything without it. I subbed in brown rice as well, increasing the broth to 2 cups and simmering for about 45 minutes. I had two servings before I had to make myself stop eating, portioned out the other 4 servings for lunches and froze 2 of them. Hopefully they thaw well.

14. Mandy says:

Tried this out last night. My first time cooking with chorizo, and I was kinda nervous! But it was so delicious! I didn’t add cheese to mine, because I can’t have dairy, but it was still amazing.

15. Miranda says:

I have made this several times now with brown rice. Just up the broth to 2 cups, cooking time is about the same, maybe 5 mins more. Thank you for an amazing and easy recipe!

16. Bruno L says:

I want to do this and I have everything but the sweet potato at home, but I *do* have a butternut squash who’s looking at me and winking. I guess if I cut it a bit bigger, to account for the softer texture, it should be fine.
    I can’t imagine that it could turn into a disaster. The worst that could happen would be that the squash would, well, squash away and dissolve a bit.
    Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’ll probably set my whole kitchen on fire…

17. Brittney says:

This recipe has been in our weekly rotation for the last 8 weeks. It is delicious! I make it with brown rice. I add about 3 1/4 cups of water and let it simmer for about an hour. I’ve made it with red salsa, green salsa, combo of the two, and even green enchilda sauce twice when we ran out of salsa. I always forget about the green onions, but I’m sure it would be even better with them on it. I don’t necessarily think it needs cheese. I usually cut the amount of cheese in half or sometimes omit it all together, and it still tastes great. It’s an all around winner.

18. I made this and loved it but now I’ve been asked to bring enough to feed 40 people! Tips for using the crockpot to make this?

• Hmmm, I’m not sure how the slow cooker would work, really. It’s tricky business getting that rice to cook just right and I’m not sure if it would work the same in a slow cooker.

19. John says:

I’m in the UK, so our Chorizo is an expensive Spanish sausage rather than a cheap Mexican one. It’s far thicker & denser than the one you show and would have to be cubed, it doesn’t act like a normal pork sausage the way yours does. We’re thinking of using a mix of proper chorizo (chopped finely) and pork sausage meat when we make it, that’s probably our best route isn’t it?

• Spanish and Mexican chorizos are just completely different products. One is cured, one is raw, and I think the blend of spices may be different as well. I think it would still taste good to use finely chopped Spanish chorizo, but definitely different than the original recipe. :)

• Bruno L says:

Yeah John, I’d go for spicy Italian sausage then. It has the same texture/properties, because the Spanish chorizo won’t crumble that way.

Bon appétit!

• Stephen S. says:

Here’s a quick homemade chorizo recipe that gives the basic spice combination and some substitutions for harder-to-find spices.:

1.10 lb. or 500 grams of ground pork
      1 tbsp. cumin seed
      1 tsp. coriander seed
      5 whole cloves
      2 bay leaves
      ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
      ½ tsp. oregano
      ½ tsp. thyme
      1 tbsp. granulated garlic
      1 tsp. sea salt
      5 whole peppercorns (or ½ tsp. ground black pepper)
      2 tbsp. Ancho chile powder OR substitute with a combination of
      2 tbsp. paprika mixed with ½ tsp. cayenne powder OR
      2 tbsp. paprika mixed with 1 tsp. red chili powder
      3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar (can substitute with
      red wine vinegar)
      Grind your spices in a mortar and pestle, or use a coffee grinder.

20. Annie B says:

I made this a few weeks ago with vegetarian sausages, because my spouse is a vegetarian. My spouse loved it, but I don’t really like these sausages, so I loved the bites that didn’t have sausages in them, lol! What would you suggest as a vegetarian substitute for the chorizo?

• I don’t think there really is one aside from commercial “soyrizo” and products like that (is that something like what you tried?). The thing that makes chorizo unique is the blend of spices, so substituting something else that isn’t spiced the same will change the dish quite a bit.

21. Kristin says:

I’ve made the enchilada version many times, tonight is my first try with this recipe. I added a diced pasilla/poblano pepper at the beginning (sautéed with the yams) and used a can of garlic roasted tomatoes as I had no salsa. I also used beef broth – out of chicken broth. One thing I love about your recipes is that I’m not afraid to substitute with what I have on hand! :) I chopped some cilantro to add as desired when serving. It turned out to be delicious! I will try it again as written. Thanks again for your website.

22. Lindsay says:

Cannot wait to make this tonight! I think I’m going to add 2 chipotle peppers in adobo though cause I like the flavor (and they keep staring at me in the freezer). Thanks for all your recipes Beth!!

23. Julian says:

This has become a standard of mine!

I make it a bit differently, though. Instead of buying salsa, I bought a jalapeño pepper and an anaheim pepper, along with a can of rotel, green-chili tomatoes.

I dice the peppers and put them in with the chorizo. Add the rotel tomatoes when you add the salsa and cook everything the same.

I found the taste to be a bit fresher, and with a bit more heat.

24. LindaMock says:

This recipe is fabulous! What a wonderful combination of flavors. A huge hit with my family tonight.

BTW, I made my own turkey chorizo, saving both calories and a little money. If you live in a chirozo-deprived area, here is a link to the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-chorizo-228870

25. Cyndee says:

For those of you who want to use brown rice, I tried it today, as I’m not a fan of white rice. I used brown basmati from the bulk bins at the health food store, which is my favorite kind of rice. I increased the broth to 2 3/4 cups and I checked on it after 30, 45, and 60 minutes. After an hour, the broth was all absorbed and the rice was still a little al dente. So I added maybe 1/4-1/3 cup more broth and simmered it for a few more minutes before adding the cheese. I’d definitely start with 3C of broth and expect at least an hour of cooking time.

I made a couple other changes as well, had a half a green bell pepper and a half an onion left over from another recipe so I sauteed them with the sweet potato. I substituted homemade seitan chorizo (recipe from Viva Vegan). It’s a bit firmer and doesn’t crumble so I chopped it in small pieces to disperse the flavor throughout the dish. It turned out excellent, even my picky husband loved it (said it reminded him of Hamburger Helper, believe it or not this is a compliment). Will definitely be making this again.

26. Janice says:

Is this also a good recipe to freeze and reheat for lunches?

27. Alexis says:

I made this early in the week to serve as my lunches all week and I am already starting to feel sad that I only have 2 days worth of lunches left. This is definitely going in to my dinner rotation.

I doubled the recipe and then added 1 more sweet potato because I love it so much. I also used a mild-ish red salsa because that is what I had on hand. I will probably try to figure out a way to use brown rice because that’s what we usually use — I’ll report back if I find a method that works.

28. I’m trying to be conscious of my portions, how much do you consider a “serving” to be?

29. Okay so I’ve been a die-hard fan of you since the beginning of time (lies) but I never commented. I just sat and prowled with a full stomach. But do you think soy chorizo/bell peppers/vegetable broth would all be good additions/replacements?

30. Molly says:

Made this with mild Italian sausage instead of chorizo, and it was wonderful! The chorizo + salsa would have been a little too spicy for this Midwestern Norwegian-Irish gal, so I’m glad it worked with a milder sausage. We will be enjoying the leftovers for the next few days, too!

Also, I recently discovered your site, and this is the third recipe I’ve made this week. Everything has turned out great. Thanks for all you do!

31. Sara says:

This was so delicious! Thanks for the awesome recipe. :-)

32. Ashley says:

Can this recipe use chicken instead of chorizo?

33. Beth says:

I made this on Sat and used brown rice which I think was a mistake because after the 30min, the rice was still hard so in the end it turned out quite dry and bland. It looks delicious in the picture, mine just didn’t turn out that way, sad face!

• Yep, unfortunately you can never just directly substitute brown rice for white rice. Brown rice requires more liquid and a longer cooking time. :(

• Brittany says:

I’m glad you tried it out already, but sad it didn’t turn out! We love brown rice so much we almost never have white rice.

34. Stacey says:

My husband hates beans and sweet potatoes. My son hates black beans. Yet somehow, my whole family (and neighbor) LOVED this recipe! Yay! I’m cooking it for the third time tonight. This recipe is delicious and makes my kitchen smell wonderful. And only one pot to wash, double yay!

35. Laura says:

I would prefer to use brown rice, but I know I’d need to adjust. Do you have any insight or should I google tips?

• Well, you’ll probably need more liquid (maybe 25% more?) and it will definitely take longer to cook… maybe 45 minutes? I can give guestimates, but without testing it and tweaking it, it’s hard to say exactly. :)

• kristy hudson says:

You could always use ten minute brown rice. :)

36. Elisabeth says:

This is delicious!
    Texas tip: Make this for dinner. In the morning, throw some in a pan with scrambled eggs and enjoy by itself or as a taco.

37. Tracy says:

Eating this right now; it’s amazing!!!

38. Angela says:

I give this 5 stars but my husband would give it 6 if possible. He was super bummed I didn’t double the recipe. I let him eat most of the leftovers and he has asked me when I can make it again. Two big thumbs up!

39. JenniferN says:

Made this tonight. Delish!

40. Alex says:

I substituted rice for quinoa, and still added the poblano pepper (like in the enchilada recipe, my absolute favorite) and it was to die for! If you like these flavors, you must try the sweet potato and chorizo enchiladas.

• Lauren says:

Did you change up the liquid proportions at all when you subbed quinoa for the rice? I love the version with the rice, but have wanted to try with quinoa.

41. Caoimhe says:

This is a bit of a silly question, but when you say “large skillet,” how large are we talking? Like roughly how many inches wide and deep?

• Probably about 14 inches across and a few inches deep. It should be big enough to hold about 6 cups of liquid. If you don’t have a skillet big enough, you can actually make this in a pot, too. :)

42. OMG!!! I’ve been cubing my sweet potatoes the hard way! Thanks for the tip!

43. I just made this tonight and I am in love. I was super sick this week and beyond tired. It was super easy, and omg tasty. After not eating for a week, I destroyed three helpings of this over the evening. I want to freeze some for later, but I have a feeling it will be gone by tomorrow. Thank you so much.

44. I made this last night it was amazing! I will say, reading through the comments made me happy I live in an area where chorizo is plentiful and cheap. My chorizo came in a 12 oz package and I used the whole thing. I used red salsa because that’s what I had on hand. It all came together beautifully and my husband loved it. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks so much!

45. Rene says:

I’m Mexican American , was raised on chorizo con papas this variation with sweet potatoe is brilliant , totally de-ricouz!

46. Ellorie says:

I have tried several variations on this, since Mexican chorizo doesn’t seem to be available up north.

I tried with ground italian sausage, but the flavours were definitely wrong and the consistency was quite slimy. I tried with portuguese chorizo and it was still not great. In my opinion, the best experiment was with Spanish dry chorizo.

47. Tammi says:

This was great, and you’ve given yet another recipe where my husband actually ate beans which he normally avoids like the plague!

48. Missy says:

What would be a good sub for Chorizo? I went to four markets and couldn’t find any of ANY brand.

• Some people have used spicy Italian sausage and said that they liked it, but I think I would just use some plain ground pork and add some southwest spices (like a taco seasoning or something similar).

49. Marg says:

I’ve been wanting to try this ever since I came across it the other day. Trying to find fresh Chorizo is like looking for a needle in the hay stack! Took 3 grocery stores before I finally found something close enough – Spanish sausage, half-dry cured. I’m doubting it’ll crumble, but will it still work in this recipe? I’m thinking of cubing it very small, like the sweet potato.

• Actually, Spanish chorizo is quite different than Mexican chorizo… it’s more like salami and less like fresh sausage. You might be able to cube it small like you said, then fry it up a bit, but it will definitely be different.

• Marg says:

Well, I made it last night, and it was amazing! Everyone (dh and 2 dd) raved about it, and I was told to put this recipe on the “keep” list. I wonder if I can substitute ground chicken and Chorizo spices for the actual Chorizo sausage. Any idea of what spices make up the wonderful Chorizo flavor?

A friend sent a Facebook query out last night asking “what’s for dinner?”. I posted the link to this recipe, and it got a lot of attention! :D

50. Perfect recipe to satisfy a Mexican/Southwest craving in a pretty healthy way! I made it vegetarian (vegetable broth and Trader Joe’s Soyrizo). I took a chance and used Minute Maid brown rice (only rice I had and didn’t feel like buying more). I didn’t change measurements/times for anything and it actually turned out fine! I made it for myself and will happily eat it for lunch and dinner for the next few days.

51. Dunja says:

I made it last night, and I was stunned by how wonderful it was (but then every single recipe of yours is). My husband isn’t too keen on sweet potatoes, I love them, and we were both blissfully happy tucking in. I had to replace the sausages with hot Spanish sausages because in food desert Germany I couldn’t get hold of chorizo, and I just used red salsa, and it was amazing. I was hoping I could have the leftovers for lunch, but guess who carried them out of the house this morning with a stupid grin on his face >:-(?

This was easy and absolutely delicious. It was super creamy, like Risotto as others mentioned. I’d call it “Southwest Risotto”.

53. Marie Sabey says:

Just made this for dinner and oh…my…god it is amazing! I tried it with a drained can of corn as my 5 year old loves corn in everything and it was fantastic. Thank you so much for your website. It feeds us well!

54. Lara says:

Just made this as the first recipe I’ve tried from this site, pretty happy with the result even though I made a few mistakes (can’t find Black Beans in Australia for some reason) but it was so easy. Can’t wait to try more!

55. Sara says:

OMG. soooooooooo good. so so so good! :)

56. M-san says:

I love one-pot recipes! (Because I hate multitasking in the kitchen…I can do it, but I’m always afraid of losing track of something!) This looked delicious but unfortunately, I couldn’t find Mexican chorizo in the nearby grocery stores, so I settled for hot Italian sausage (which was on sale, anyway). It still worked out pretty well and I loved eating this! I’ll bet this will taste even better as leftovers. Thanks!

57. Jeff says:

Made this yesterday and LOVED it! I used soy chorizo (from Trader Joe’s – only 1.99 for 12oz) and vegetable stock to make it meatless. I think I should have used a little more broth.Then I threw in an onion and a green pepper. The pepper added a great background flavor. It was vegan until I added the cheese :)

This made way more than I thought, which was a nice suprise. I want some right now!

58. Micky Z. says:

I made this the other night substituting brown rice, increasing the broth to 2 cups and cutting the salsa back to 3/4 cup. Rave reviews and enough leftovers for lunch the next day. Thanks again, Beth!

59. Christina says:

Wow. This was amazing. I wrapped it in a tortilla and made killer burritos. I love you, no seriously. Thank you

60. Rebecca says:

I am a terrible cook (and not a huge fan of sweet potatoes) but it looked so good in the pictures that I had to try it. This dish is easy and delicious. Can’t wait to eat the leftovers!!

61. This looks delicious, healthy, and easy! I love one pot meals for their simplicity. I only have chicken apple sausage, but I’m going to try this with that. I will add some red pepper to give it some kick, but I love idea of using sweet potatoes. Thanks so much for the recipe! Pinning it now.

62. Asia says:

This was awesome topped with Frank’s and sour cream. Sausage sweet potato and black beans are so awesome together. Thanks again for making our night, you’ve been doing so for 5 years now!

63. Mike says:

Quick question about cooking methods: I don’t own a deep skillet, but I do have a large wok and a stock pot. Which of these do you think would be best for this recipe (and any others where you have rice cooking in a deep skillet)?

• I think I’d use the stock pot because it has a lid (unless your wok does, too?) But you can definitely do it in a stock pot because it is a lot like just cooking rice in a pot anyway. :)

64. I love chorizo and sweet potato together!

65. Elizabeth says:

I made this tonight and it was another winner! I love how tender and creamy everything came out, almost like a risotto. I upped the chorizo to 1 lb and broth to 2c (I freeze homemade in 2c increments). Threw fresh tomato and avocado on top. Fabulous! I think next time I’d add some red pepper flakes or cayenne for more heat. Yum, thanks!

66. I absolutely LOVE your sweet potato and chorizo chile, so this will be a stable for me also.
    Thanks!

67. Carol says:

sounds good but my son in law won’t eat sweet potatoes – although I love them. could one substitute squash?

• Yes, a sweet winter type squash might be okay, with butternut being the best choice (it has the sweetest, least earthy flavor of the bunch).

68. Amanda Mananda says:

Yes! Chorizo and sweet potato together again? LOVE this combination.

It’s a small thing, but I have a slight variation when it comes to the preparing the sweet potato. I make the enchilada version quite often, and I find that grating the sweet potato on the largest holes available changes the overall consistency of the dish. I also cook the sweet potato near the end, as it takes very little time to soften when you grate it.

Not sure how it would work in this dish, but it makes the enchiladas very soft and more … enchilada-y. -:P It binds the contents together more — almost like cheese would. Anyway, just thought I’d share!

(Also, just to add: I’m not cracking on the cubes. I switched methods just because the peanut gallery I cook for wanted a different texture inside the tortillas — picky enchilada connoisseurs that they are.)

• That’s an AWESOME idea! I love it. :) Thanks for sharing!

• TinaPete says:

Love this idea and the variations from comments. Love sweet potatoes and will do this one soon.

What does “cracking on the cubes” mean? Would love to use it but want to know what I’m saying, you know what I mean?

• Amanda Mananda says:

Oh, hah! Like, when you’re “cracking on” something, you’re criticizing it? I don’t know; I grew up saying it a lot, I guess. I’m not even sure that’s proper slang. -:P And I was referring to the method of cutting the sweet potato: cutting it into cubes. -:)

Knowing my luck, “cracking on the cubes” is slang for doing hard drugs in some area of the world.

69. This looks amazing! Thank you for such delicious healthy recipes!

70. Erin says:

I just made your sweet potato and chorizo enchiladas tonight and they were so yummy! I can’t wait to try this dish! The combination of sweet potato and chorizo is not something I would ever think of putting together but is so good!!