Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

I’m loving these one skillet meals not only because they’re so easy to make, but because they’re so easy to eat. Instead of filling my plate with a main dish and a couple of sides, I’ve got everything I need in one bowl. Carbs, fiber, protein, vegetables, and CHEESE. Ha, jk (not jk).

Anyway. Since making my Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas over three years ago, I’ve been in love with that flavor combination. Spicy Mexican Chorizo and the subtle sweetness of sweet potatoes go so incredibly well together and I just can’t get enough of it. So, for this skillet meal I paired up the famous flavor duo and cooked them together with rice, black beans, and green salsa (the same method used for the Southwest Chicken Skillet). I don’t know if there’s an easier way to pack in so much flavor with so little effort.

And, BONUS, this one freezes super duper well, so it’s a great candidate for stocking your freezer with ready to reheat meals!

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

• 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
  • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $0.99
  • ½ lb. Mexican chorizo $1.67
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans $1.19
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice $0.33
  • 1 cup salsa (green or red) $1.54
  • 1¾ cup chicken broth $0.23
  • 1 cup shredded cheese $1.20
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced $0.26
  1. Peel and dice the sweet potato into ½ to ¾ inch cubes (size matters, make them small). Sauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened about half way through (they'll cook more later).
  2. Squeeze the chorizo out of its casing into the skillet with the sweet potatoes. Sauté the chorizo and sweet potatoes together, breaking the chorizo up into small pieces as it browns.
  3. Once the chorizo is fully browned, pour off any excess grease if needed. Rinse and drain the black beans. Add the beans, salsa, and uncooked rice to the skillet. Stir them into the sweet potatoes and chorizo until everything is well combined.
  4. Add the chicken broth, stir briefly, then place a lid on the skillet. Allow the contents of the skillet to come up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Let the skillet simmer on low for 30 minutes. Make sure it is simmering the whole time (you should be able to hear it quietly simmer away). If it is not, turn the heat up slightly.
  5. After 30 minutes the rice should be tender and have absorbed all of the liquid. Turn off the heat, fluff the mixture, sprinkle the cheese on top, then return the lid to trap the residual heat and help the cheese melt. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top and serve.
Notes
You can use either green or red salsa for this dish, but I prefer green to compliment the sweet potatoes and chorizo.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet bowl

Step by Step Photos

Dice Sweet PotatoFirst, peel and cut the sweet potato into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes. The easiest way to do this is to first cut the sweet potato into rounds, then cut the rounds into cubes. If a few of your rounds are about the same size, you can stack them before cutting them crosswise into cubes. Making the cubes too big will prevent them from cooking through completely, so make sure not to go any larger than about 3/4 inch. Mine were on the large side (and this is a close up).

Sauté Sweet PotatoesSauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat for about five minutes. You want them to cook about half way through at this point. You’ll notice that they turn a little bit darker and slightly translucent as they begin to soften.

ChorizoThis is the type of chorizo I use. I only used two links, which is about 1/2 lb. Johnsonville is a large national brand and is available in most major super markets. It’s basically just pork sausage seasoned with Mexican spices. If buying another brand, make sure to check the ingredients and package well because not all chorizo is created equal (I bought some in a “tube” once and it was VERY fatty and not very pleasant).

Browned ChorizoSqueeze the chorizo out of the casing into the skillet and continue to sauté until the chorizo is fully browned. If your chorizo has let off a lot of grease, you may want to drain it from the skillet at this point.

Salsa and BeansNext add one cup of your favorite salsa and one 15-oz. can of black beans (rinsed and drained). I decided to use a green salsa for this recipe because I didn’t have any poblano peppers like in my original enchilada recipe. This salsa was on sale and it turned out pretty good!

Salsa Rice and BeansIn addition to the salsa and beans, also add one cup of uncooked long grain white rice. Stir all of these ingredients together until they are very well mixed. (Brown rice can not be easily substituted for white rice in this recipe. The liquid and cooking time would need to be increased if using brown rice, but I haven’t experimented with the ratios.)

Chicken BrothLastly, add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth to the skillet. Give it a quick stir.

Simmer SkilletPlace the lid on the skillet and allow it to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer (with the lid on) for 30 minutes. Make sure you can hear it simmering the whole time. Every range will have its “sweet spot” heat setting where the skillet will be simmering, but not so hot that the bottom scorches. Mine is just slightly above the low setting. Using a thick, heavy skillet will help it to cook thoroughly and evenly, too.

Cooked Chorizo SkilletAfter 30 minutes, the rice should be tender and all of the liquid absorbed. If it isn’t, cover it back up and let it go for another 5-10 minutes. Like I said, every skillet/range is different. If the heat was set too low, it will take just a bit longer. If it was too high, it may be sticking to the bottom of the skillet.

Fluff Chorizo SkilletOnce the rice is tender and it has absorbed all the liquid, turn off the heat and fluff it up with a fork to mix the ingredients back together.

Cheese and Green Onions.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, then cover it back up with the lid. This will trap the residual heat and melt the cheese. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet close upBoxed skillet meals ain’t got nuthin’ on this!

Chorizo Sweet Potato SkilletOh man, I already want to make a second batch!

1. Laura says:

Just made this using homemade chorizo which I had leftover from making the chorizo and sweet potato enchiladas. Was going to make those again but thought I’d try this recipe. Almost forgot to add the cheese! I’d already portioned into bowls to put in the freezer when I remembered so just stuck cheese on top, should melt down great when reheated. This was really yummy and filling. I added the leftover poblano pepper I had as well, it worked in the enchiladas so figured it would go well with this. Already had cooked white rice so I added that at the end and reduced the chicken broth.
    If you can’t find premade chorizo sausage just buy ground pork, I used lean ground pork, go online and find a chorizo recipe. Since you don’t need the casings for this recipe it’s super simple, you just have to put the chorizo in the fridge to meld flavours for at least 12 hours or overnight.

2. Nick says:

I made this over the weekend for my work lunches this week… It was as good (if not slightly better) than the regular southwest chicken skillet!
    Like most people, I did make a couple of minor alterations: started with cooking the chorizo first, so I didn’t use any oil on the sweet potatoes. I wasn’t worried, because I knew I was going to use brown rice anyway, so the simmering time would be closer to an hour. My sweet potatoes were pretty much completely broken down by the time it was done (which gave it a silky, risotto-esque texture). I left off the cheese, and topped with sour cream, diced bbq grilled chicken (wanted more meat), and a couple of small grilled sweet peppers.
    It was spicier than I’m used to eating, but so so good.
    Definitely going to use the other half lb of chorizo to make it again soon.

3. Blair says:

This was soooo good. I’ve known about your site for a couple of years now, but just recently I have been trying more and more of your recipes. If I am going to cook/eat at home I MUST have a ton of flavor and variety. You knock it out of the park every time!

4. Lesley says:

Um HUGE HIT! Super easy and super yummy. Thanks for this, and all of your other amazing recipes. I can’t wait to get down on this for lunch leftovers today!

5. Haiber says:

Hi Beth,

On the account of not finding chorizo at my local store and not wanting going to the expensive store, I opted for using the shredded chicken I had left over in the freezer. But I’m not sure how long to sauté the sweet potato. You mention 5 minutes but with the chorizo added, the time increases. Should 10 minutes instead of 5 be enough before I add the chicken/beans/rice/salsa?

I’ve been making your southwest skillet, so I decided to try this and see how the sweet potatoes add to the flavour. Thank You.

• I think it will definitely depend on how small the sweet potatoes are cut. Just keep an eye on it and move to the next step when the sweet potatoes start to get tender. They’ll also turn a slightly darker and almost translucent in color (instead of that opaque orange color).

6. Rebecca says:

I just made this and it was awesome! I’m in australia and couldn’t find the same chorizo you used, but it still tasted good. I ended up putting it in the oven to finish off because I couldn’t get the sweet potatoes to cook but it still came out really yummy (and slightly crispy around the edges, yum!!) – I think next time I will try it with pork mince and some chilli/mexican spice since we can’t get mexican chorizo here.

7. Wow – fabulous dish. We quadrupled it to feed our big family (and have lots of leftovers!) and I’m so glad we did. We used a combo of sweet italian and andouille sausage because we had it in the freezer and it was excellent. This will reheat well and everyone had several servings. Another hit from your website!

8. Where I live, mexican chorizo is a lot more expensive than I expected. My results produced something that was pretty sweet and spicy, but also a bit greasy for my taste.

• Chorizo does vary quite a bit. I used one brand once that was mostly fat and I wasn’t a fan at all. I really like the Johnsonville brand, if you can get it. It’s a national brand, but they don’t always offer all of their products in all stores.

9. Just wanted to say that this came out really well; I used red salsa and hot Italian sausage and it was delicious. I think you should definitely come up with more skillet recipes, because they’re amazing!

10. Hannah says:

I made this last night, and my husband and I both loved it–and since he does most of the dishes, he also loved that there was only one pot to clean up. :) Every recipe I’ve tried from you has been a success. Your oven fajitas and taco chicken bowls get cooked at least once a month, and now I’ll be adding this one to the rotation. Thanks for sharing such delicious, affordable, and easy recipes!

11. Beth…I literally can’t even. This is STUPIDLY delicious. Thank you. I couldn’t find chorizo in my usual grocery store, so I used spicy Italian sausage instead. I also went with mild salsa since I figure spicy salsa might be overkill combined with spicy sausage.

12. Joanna says:

Lots of flavor, and so easy. After the 30 minute simmer, I still had a lot of uncooked rice. I added more water, and simmered for another 20 minutes.

13. Elizabeth says:

I made this last week – I tried to use brown rice instead of white rice and I couldn’t get the rice to cook as well as I would have liked. I think it would have turned out better if I had followed the recipe (I plan to make it again with white rice) – so beware if you try to substitute brown rice.

14. Dena says:

I couldn’t find chorizo the day I wanted to make it so I went with hot Italian sausage. It was delicious!

15. This could be one of my new favorite dishes…it had so much flavor! I had a sweet potato that needed to be used, some chorizo in the freezer, and not a ton of time to prep, so it was this recipe to the rescue! I’m trying to stay ahead of the holiday lbs. so I didn’t put cheese on it, but I really didn’t feel like I was missing anything without it. I subbed in brown rice as well, increasing the broth to 2 cups and simmering for about 45 minutes. I had two servings before I had to make myself stop eating, portioned out the other 4 servings for lunches and froze 2 of them. Hopefully they thaw well.

16. Mandy says:

Tried this out last night. My first time cooking with chorizo, and I was kinda nervous! But it was so delicious! I didn’t add cheese to mine, because I can’t have dairy, but it was still amazing.

17. Miranda says:

I have made this several times now with brown rice. Just up the broth to 2 cups, cooking time is about the same, maybe 5 mins more. Thank you for an amazing and easy recipe!

18. Bruno L says:

I want to do this and I have everything but the sweet potato at home, but I *do* have a butternut squash who’s looking at me and winking. I guess if I cut it a bit bigger, to account for the softer texture, it should be fine.
    I can’t imagine that it could turn into a disaster. The worst that could happen would be that the squash would, well, squash away and dissolve a bit.
    Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’ll probably set my whole kitchen on fire…

19. Brittney says:

This recipe has been in our weekly rotation for the last 8 weeks. It is delicious! I make it with brown rice. I add about 3 1/4 cups of water and let it simmer for about an hour. I’ve made it with red salsa, green salsa, combo of the two, and even green enchilda sauce twice when we ran out of salsa. I always forget about the green onions, but I’m sure it would be even better with them on it. I don’t necessarily think it needs cheese. I usually cut the amount of cheese in half or sometimes omit it all together, and it still tastes great. It’s an all around winner.

20. I made this and loved it but now I’ve been asked to bring enough to feed 40 people! Tips for using the crockpot to make this?

• Hmmm, I’m not sure how the slow cooker would work, really. It’s tricky business getting that rice to cook just right and I’m not sure if it would work the same in a slow cooker.

21. John says:

I’m in the UK, so our Chorizo is an expensive Spanish sausage rather than a cheap Mexican one. It’s far thicker & denser than the one you show and would have to be cubed, it doesn’t act like a normal pork sausage the way yours does. We’re thinking of using a mix of proper chorizo (chopped finely) and pork sausage meat when we make it, that’s probably our best route isn’t it?

• Spanish and Mexican chorizos are just completely different products. One is cured, one is raw, and I think the blend of spices may be different as well. I think it would still taste good to use finely chopped Spanish chorizo, but definitely different than the original recipe. :)

• Bruno L says:

Yeah John, I’d go for spicy Italian sausage then. It has the same texture/properties, because the Spanish chorizo won’t crumble that way.

Bon appétit!

• Stephen S. says:

Here’s a quick homemade chorizo recipe that gives the basic spice combination and some substitutions for harder-to-find spices.:

1.10 lb. or 500 grams of ground pork
      1 tbsp. cumin seed
      1 tsp. coriander seed
      5 whole cloves
      2 bay leaves
      ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
      ½ tsp. oregano
      ½ tsp. thyme
      1 tbsp. granulated garlic
      1 tsp. sea salt
      5 whole peppercorns (or ½ tsp. ground black pepper)
      2 tbsp. Ancho chile powder OR substitute with a combination of
      2 tbsp. paprika mixed with ½ tsp. cayenne powder OR
      2 tbsp. paprika mixed with 1 tsp. red chili powder
      3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar (can substitute with
      red wine vinegar)
      Grind your spices in a mortar and pestle, or use a coffee grinder.

22. Annie B says:

I made this a few weeks ago with vegetarian sausages, because my spouse is a vegetarian. My spouse loved it, but I don’t really like these sausages, so I loved the bites that didn’t have sausages in them, lol! What would you suggest as a vegetarian substitute for the chorizo?

• I don’t think there really is one aside from commercial “soyrizo” and products like that (is that something like what you tried?). The thing that makes chorizo unique is the blend of spices, so substituting something else that isn’t spiced the same will change the dish quite a bit.