Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

I’m loving these one skillet meals not only because they’re so easy to make, but because they’re so easy to eat. Instead of filling my plate with a main dish and a couple of sides, I’ve got everything I need in one bowl. Carbs, fiber, protein, vegetables, and CHEESE. Ha, jk (not jk).

Anyway. Since making my Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas over three years ago, I’ve been in love with that flavor combination. Spicy Mexican Chorizo and the subtle sweetness of sweet potatoes go so incredibly well together and I just can’t get enough of it. So, for this skillet meal I paired up the famous flavor duo and cooked them together with rice, black beans, and green salsa (the same method used for the Southwest Chicken Skillet). I don’t know if there’s an easier way to pack in so much flavor with so little effort.

And, BONUS, this one freezes super duper well, so it’s a great candidate for stocking your freezer with ready to reheat meals!

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet

• 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
  • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $0.99
  • ½ lb. Mexican chorizo $1.67
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans $1.19
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice $0.33
  • 1 cup salsa (green or red) $1.54
  • 1¾ cup chicken broth $0.23
  • 1 cup shredded cheese $1.20
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced $0.26
  1. Peel and dice the sweet potato into ½ to ¾ inch cubes (size matters, make them small). Sauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened about half way through (they'll cook more later).
  2. Squeeze the chorizo out of its casing into the skillet with the sweet potatoes. Sauté the chorizo and sweet potatoes together, breaking the chorizo up into small pieces as it browns.
  3. Once the chorizo is fully browned, pour off any excess grease if needed. Rinse and drain the black beans. Add the beans, salsa, and uncooked rice to the skillet. Stir them into the sweet potatoes and chorizo until everything is well combined.
  4. Add the chicken broth, stir briefly, then place a lid on the skillet. Allow the contents of the skillet to come up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Let the skillet simmer on low for 30 minutes. Make sure it is simmering the whole time (you should be able to hear it quietly simmer away). If it is not, turn the heat up slightly.
  5. After 30 minutes the rice should be tender and have absorbed all of the liquid. Turn off the heat, fluff the mixture, sprinkle the cheese on top, then return the lid to trap the residual heat and help the cheese melt. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top and serve.
Notes
You can use either green or red salsa for this dish, but I prefer green to compliment the sweet potatoes and chorizo.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet bowl

Step by Step Photos

Dice Sweet PotatoFirst, peel and cut the sweet potato into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes. The easiest way to do this is to first cut the sweet potato into rounds, then cut the rounds into cubes. If a few of your rounds are about the same size, you can stack them before cutting them crosswise into cubes. Making the cubes too big will prevent them from cooking through completely, so make sure not to go any larger than about 3/4 inch. Mine were on the large side (and this is a close up).

Sauté Sweet PotatoesSauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat for about five minutes. You want them to cook about half way through at this point. You’ll notice that they turn a little bit darker and slightly translucent as they begin to soften.

ChorizoThis is the type of chorizo I use. I only used two links, which is about 1/2 lb. Johnsonville is a large national brand and is available in most major super markets. It’s basically just pork sausage seasoned with Mexican spices. If buying another brand, make sure to check the ingredients and package well because not all chorizo is created equal (I bought some in a “tube” once and it was VERY fatty and not very pleasant).

Browned ChorizoSqueeze the chorizo out of the casing into the skillet and continue to sauté until the chorizo is fully browned. If your chorizo has let off a lot of grease, you may want to drain it from the skillet at this point.

Salsa and BeansNext add one cup of your favorite salsa and one 15-oz. can of black beans (rinsed and drained). I decided to use a green salsa for this recipe because I didn’t have any poblano peppers like in my original enchilada recipe. This salsa was on sale and it turned out pretty good!

Salsa Rice and BeansIn addition to the salsa and beans, also add one cup of uncooked long grain white rice. Stir all of these ingredients together until they are very well mixed. (Brown rice can not be easily substituted for white rice in this recipe. The liquid and cooking time would need to be increased if using brown rice, but I haven’t experimented with the ratios.)

Chicken BrothLastly, add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth to the skillet. Give it a quick stir.

Simmer SkilletPlace the lid on the skillet and allow it to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer (with the lid on) for 30 minutes. Make sure you can hear it simmering the whole time. Every range will have its “sweet spot” heat setting where the skillet will be simmering, but not so hot that the bottom scorches. Mine is just slightly above the low setting. Using a thick, heavy skillet will help it to cook thoroughly and evenly, too.

Cooked Chorizo SkilletAfter 30 minutes, the rice should be tender and all of the liquid absorbed. If it isn’t, cover it back up and let it go for another 5-10 minutes. Like I said, every skillet/range is different. If the heat was set too low, it will take just a bit longer. If it was too high, it may be sticking to the bottom of the skillet.

Fluff Chorizo SkilletOnce the rice is tender and it has absorbed all the liquid, turn off the heat and fluff it up with a fork to mix the ingredients back together.

Cheese and Green Onions.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, then cover it back up with the lid. This will trap the residual heat and melt the cheese. Slice the green onions while the cheese is melting, then sprinkle them on top.

Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet close upBoxed skillet meals ain’t got nuthin’ on this!

Chorizo Sweet Potato SkilletOh man, I already want to make a second batch!

1. Lindsay says:

Cannot wait to make this tonight! I think I’m going to add 2 chipotle peppers in adobo though cause I like the flavor (and they keep staring at me in the freezer). Thanks for all your recipes Beth!!

2. Julian says:

This has become a standard of mine!

I make it a bit differently, though. Instead of buying salsa, I bought a jalapeño pepper and an anaheim pepper, along with a can of rotel, green-chili tomatoes.

I dice the peppers and put them in with the chorizo. Add the rotel tomatoes when you add the salsa and cook everything the same.

I found the taste to be a bit fresher, and with a bit more heat.

3. LindaMock says:

This recipe is fabulous! What a wonderful combination of flavors. A huge hit with my family tonight.

BTW, I made my own turkey chorizo, saving both calories and a little money. If you live in a chirozo-deprived area, here is a link to the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-chorizo-228870

4. Cyndee says:

For those of you who want to use brown rice, I tried it today, as I’m not a fan of white rice. I used brown basmati from the bulk bins at the health food store, which is my favorite kind of rice. I increased the broth to 2 3/4 cups and I checked on it after 30, 45, and 60 minutes. After an hour, the broth was all absorbed and the rice was still a little al dente. So I added maybe 1/4-1/3 cup more broth and simmered it for a few more minutes before adding the cheese. I’d definitely start with 3C of broth and expect at least an hour of cooking time.

I made a couple other changes as well, had a half a green bell pepper and a half an onion left over from another recipe so I sauteed them with the sweet potato. I substituted homemade seitan chorizo (recipe from Viva Vegan). It’s a bit firmer and doesn’t crumble so I chopped it in small pieces to disperse the flavor throughout the dish. It turned out excellent, even my picky husband loved it (said it reminded him of Hamburger Helper, believe it or not this is a compliment). Will definitely be making this again.

5. Janice says:

Is this also a good recipe to freeze and reheat for lunches?

6. Alexis says:

I made this early in the week to serve as my lunches all week and I am already starting to feel sad that I only have 2 days worth of lunches left. This is definitely going in to my dinner rotation.

I doubled the recipe and then added 1 more sweet potato because I love it so much. I also used a mild-ish red salsa because that is what I had on hand. I will probably try to figure out a way to use brown rice because that’s what we usually use — I’ll report back if I find a method that works.

7. I’m trying to be conscious of my portions, how much do you consider a “serving” to be?

8. Okay so I’ve been a die-hard fan of you since the beginning of time (lies) but I never commented. I just sat and prowled with a full stomach. But do you think soy chorizo/bell peppers/vegetable broth would all be good additions/replacements?

9. Molly says:

Made this with mild Italian sausage instead of chorizo, and it was wonderful! The chorizo + salsa would have been a little too spicy for this Midwestern Norwegian-Irish gal, so I’m glad it worked with a milder sausage. We will be enjoying the leftovers for the next few days, too!

Also, I recently discovered your site, and this is the third recipe I’ve made this week. Everything has turned out great. Thanks for all you do!

10. Sara says:

This was so delicious! Thanks for the awesome recipe. :-)

11. Ashley says:

Can this recipe use chicken instead of chorizo?

12. Beth says:

I made this on Sat and used brown rice which I think was a mistake because after the 30min, the rice was still hard so in the end it turned out quite dry and bland. It looks delicious in the picture, mine just didn’t turn out that way, sad face!

• Yep, unfortunately you can never just directly substitute brown rice for white rice. Brown rice requires more liquid and a longer cooking time. :(

• Brittany says:

I’m glad you tried it out already, but sad it didn’t turn out! We love brown rice so much we almost never have white rice.

13. Stacey says:

My husband hates beans and sweet potatoes. My son hates black beans. Yet somehow, my whole family (and neighbor) LOVED this recipe! Yay! I’m cooking it for the third time tonight. This recipe is delicious and makes my kitchen smell wonderful. And only one pot to wash, double yay!

14. Laura says:

I would prefer to use brown rice, but I know I’d need to adjust. Do you have any insight or should I google tips?

• Well, you’ll probably need more liquid (maybe 25% more?) and it will definitely take longer to cook… maybe 45 minutes? I can give guestimates, but without testing it and tweaking it, it’s hard to say exactly. :)

• kristy hudson says:

You could always use ten minute brown rice. :)

15. Elisabeth says:

This is delicious!
    Texas tip: Make this for dinner. In the morning, throw some in a pan with scrambled eggs and enjoy by itself or as a taco.

16. Tracy says:

Eating this right now; it’s amazing!!!

17. Angela says:

I give this 5 stars but my husband would give it 6 if possible. He was super bummed I didn’t double the recipe. I let him eat most of the leftovers and he has asked me when I can make it again. Two big thumbs up!

18. JenniferN says:

Made this tonight. Delish!

19. Alex says:

I substituted rice for quinoa, and still added the poblano pepper (like in the enchilada recipe, my absolute favorite) and it was to die for! If you like these flavors, you must try the sweet potato and chorizo enchiladas.

20. Caoimhe says:

This is a bit of a silly question, but when you say “large skillet,” how large are we talking? Like roughly how many inches wide and deep?

• Probably about 14 inches across and a few inches deep. It should be big enough to hold about 6 cups of liquid. If you don’t have a skillet big enough, you can actually make this in a pot, too. :)

21. OMG!!! I’ve been cubing my sweet potatoes the hard way! Thanks for the tip!

22. I just made this tonight and I am in love. I was super sick this week and beyond tired. It was super easy, and omg tasty. After not eating for a week, I destroyed three helpings of this over the evening. I want to freeze some for later, but I have a feeling it will be gone by tomorrow. Thank you so much.

23. I made this last night it was amazing! I will say, reading through the comments made me happy I live in an area where chorizo is plentiful and cheap. My chorizo came in a 12 oz package and I used the whole thing. I used red salsa because that’s what I had on hand. It all came together beautifully and my husband loved it. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks so much!

24. Rene says:

I’m Mexican American , was raised on chorizo con papas this variation with sweet potatoe is brilliant , totally de-ricouz!