Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Let the pumpkin madness begin!!

Since I finally had success with the last baked oatmeal, I decided to give it a shot with pumpkin. This recipe is a little different than the last because I didn’t have any yogurt on hand. It still turned out fantastic and I’ve been enjoying it all week. You can certainly add some yogurt to this and I plan to next time as well. Either add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt to the ingredients as listed below, or reduce the milk to one cup and add one cup of yogurt. The canned pumpkin puree also adds moisture, which is why the total milk content of this recipe is lower.

I absolutely loved eating this cold every morning. I drizzled some maple syrup on top and then added some milk. It was the best oatmeal I’ve had in a while… and since the oats are pretty much baked in a pumpkin pie filling mixture (minus a lot of the fat), it truly does taste like pumpkin pie. You can also try topping it with nuts, whipped cream, or raisins.

This definitely blows my old pumpkin oatmeal recipe out of the water.

AND it’s EASY.

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

baked pumpkin pie oatmeal
Serves: 6-8
  • 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin purée $1.00
  • ½ cup brown sugar $0.16
  • 2 large eggs $0.32
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice $0.10
  • ½ tsp salt $0.03
  • ¾ tsp baking powder $0.03
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract $0.14
  • 1½ cups milk $0.56
  • 2½ cups dry old-fashioned oats $0.43
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking powder until smooth. Whisk in the milk (and yogurt if using).
  2. Mix the dry oats into the pumpkin mixture. Coat an 8×8 (or similar sized) baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour in the pumpkin oat mixture. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, removing the foil after the first 30 minutes.
  3. Serve hot right out of the oven or refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be eaten cold or reheated. Top with milk, maple syrup, whipped cream, or nuts.

baked pumpkin pie oatmeal

pumpkin custardFirst, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, in a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt, and baking powder.

whisk in milkNext whisk in the milk. I used 1.5 cups but you can use up to 2 cups. Or, use one cup milk plus one cup plain yogurt.

pumpkin pie custardNow you have what is basically a loose pumpkin pie custard. It needs to be more loose than a regular custard so that there is enough liquid for the oats to soak up.

add oatsStir in the dry oats.

baking dishCoat a baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour in the pumpkin oat mixture, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil 30 minutes in.

baked pumpkin pie oatmealAnd then you have a delicious, gorgeous, vibrant orange, baked oatmeal packed full of nutrients. (I should say “for the win!” here but I refuse to use that phrase)

baked pumpkin pie oatmealI refrigerated the whole dish of oatmeal and just scooped some out every morning. It makes breakfast *so much* faster.

baked pumpkin pie oatmealI adore walnuts so I added some to my first bowl. Surprisingly, the oatmeal itself was so good that the walnuts were just lost in the awesomeness… so I didn’t even bother with them for the rest of the week!

baked pumpkin pie oatmealWhipped cream, maple syrup, and milk on the other hand? Heaven.

1. Renee says:

I am counting calories, any idea of an approximate calorie count per serving?

2. Do you think I could get away with putting these in muffin tins and creating single-servings that way? Or would they be too soft for that?

(I’ve made this the normal way and it’s super good, was just wondering to maybe increase portability/crumbling ability.)

• I think it would work. They might not hold together as well as, say, a muffin, but it should work. Keep an eye on it, though. They will bake faster as individual servings than as a whole casserole.

3. Nicole says:

This is really good! I only used a tiny amount of brown sugar, added more pumpkin spice, and also threw in about 1C of shredded zucchini. Yum!

4. I grew up on sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin, so I substituted mashed sweet potatoes. Also added another cup of milk and baked this overnight in the crockpot. My breakfast was the envy of my coworkers for a week!

• Harmony says:

I made this using steel cut oats – adding an extra 1/2 of liquid – and it was delicious!

5. Whitney says:

I made this last week for Sunday breakfast. I’m not a big fan of oatmeal in general, but we needed something different on the menu. While my kids weren’t big fans, my husband and I loved it. Don’t know what’s wrong with my kids! :) We ate leftovers the next day with some dried cranberries thrown in. Delish! Am going to double the recipe this week so we can enjoy more leftovers. Thanks!

6. Michelle says:

This is the best thing I have made in years. Seriously. I eat it for breakfast and dessert.

7. Heather says:

I’ve made this a couple times – I don’t think the oat type matters. It smells amazing while it’s baking and it’s not too sweet! I like it warm, cold, with milk, plain, with honey, just so delicious!

8. Debra says:

I have been making all of your baked oatmeal dishes for years! I loved the apple cranberry, the banana blueberry, the chocolate banana and this one is my new favorite. I think mornings are seriously tough but this oatmeal makes my morning a little easier. How fun to eat pumpkin pie in the morning! Btw I made the cranberry biscotti this weekend and gifted it. Let’s not even begin to talk about the dragon noodles and the chipotle burgers. I feel like this site was made for me. :) thank you!

9. onesti says:

I just love your recipes, Beth, especially all your wonderful baked oatmeal! This recipe has become one of my household favorites for breakfast. I made it again this morning and( since I can never seem to leave well enough alone) I doubled the vanilla, increased the oats to 3 cups, skipped the foil and sprinkled pecans on top. The pecans toasted as the oatmeal cooked. I also cooked mine for 15 minutes longer since I prefer oats a bit drier so we can add milk to our bowls. I’ve added raisins to it before, too. Pumpkin seeds sound like a fantastic addition. If I ever want leftovers for the next morning I always have to double the recipe in a 9×13 pan. Awesome stuff!

10. Leanna says:

i made this today and 1 heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, I like that it isn’t too sweet. I plan to have it for breakfast the next couple of days.

11. Jonathan says:

I love baked oatmeal. However, this was the worst recipe I have ever tried. The flavor was bland and not nearly sweet enough. Also, the texture was rubbery. The only positive is that it smelled good in the oven and looked good when I took it out.

12. Nicole says:

OH. SWEET. MOLASSES. I made this baked oatmeal this morning. You’re absolutely right, it’s incredible with a bit of cold milk poured over it. Thank you for creating such amazing recipes!

13. Tamra says:

My husband loves the pumpkin pie oats with a fried egg on top. Sounds strange but its yummy. Just wondering could it be done with quick steele cut oats instead of the old fashioned oats and how much would you use?

• Hmm, I’ve never worked with “quick steel cut oats”, only the regular steel cut, which require much more liquid and a longer cooking time.

14. Alicia says:

why is the foil cover needed? what happens if you don’t use it?

• It helps hold in the moisture to soften the oats, but I think I’ve made this since without the foil and it still worked out alright. :)

15. Steph says:

Hmm, funny to see a comment I left last year…. guess I forgot I had made this before with mediocre results, as I made it this year, too! This year I would say I had much better results.

I do still think that it didn’t reheat as well as it was fresh, BUT I disagree with my statement from last year that it was bland. I LOVED it over vanilla soy milk, and I added just a bit of walnuts and maple syrup to it, too.

16. Lynn says:

I tried this today and was so disappointed – it tasted like raw bread dough. Much too ‘vegetabley’ and not like oatmeal at all. Had been so looking forward to it as well :(!

17. Megan says:

I love this recipe because I can do the weirdest substitutions & it comes out good haha. I had this caramel greek yogurt that was bound to go bad any day….and only 1/2 can of pumpkin. Used those (remembering that you use plain greek yogurt in some of your other baked oatmeal recipes) and threw the last crumbs of some granola on the top. And….still delicious. I can’t screw this one up!

18. This is the best oatmeal I ever had. If my mom had made me this, I would have eaten oatmeal all my life. Delightful slightly fluffy texture. I cut the sugar in half. My husband ate two servings – rare.

19. I added some toasted pumpkin seeds to add to the pumpkiny goodness. I make lots if adjustments to fit my dietary restrictions, like unsweetened almond milk, just 3T coconut sugar, and for a topping, clarified butter mixed with honey. It’s fantastic! I’m thinking of adapting the baked oatmeal recipes you have on your site into a savory one to serve as a gluten-free, whole grain (just some of my dietary requirements) stuffing for Thanksgiving. Probably with onions, garlic, celery, maybe carrots and apples for moisture. Herbs. Stock instead of milk. Any other suggestions? Maybe sausage, but others at our holiday might not want that. I’m so excited to try this!

• I did make that savory Thanksgiving stuffing baked oatmeal, with onions, garlic, celery, carrots, fennel, and mushrooms sautéed in olive oil. It was fantastic! A great gluten-free alternative for the holidays.

• Jessica says:

Thanks for replying on the savory oatmeal. My grandmother has celiac disease, so I might have to try making that in place of stuffing for her for Christmas :)