Greek Turkey Burgers

I had never really cooked with ground turkey before (okay, maybe once and it wasn’t good) but I think I discovered the key. You gotta season it up really really good. I added so many goodies to these turkey burgers that they’re almost half way between a veggie burger and turkey burger. Tons of flavor, tons of color, tons of goodness.

I also made a really quick garlic & dill yogurt sauce to go along with the burgers. The sauce was so good that I kept eating it straight with a spoon… I might be making this sauce more often! I’m sure it’s delish on all sorts of stuff. Plus, it’s super quick and easy. You definitely want to use greek yogurt so that the sauce stays nice and thick. If you have regular yogurt, you can strain it over a coffee filter in the refrigerator for a day to remove some of the liquid leaving you with a nice, thick, greek yogurt substitute.

Oh yeah, I used preminced garlic (in a jar) for this recipe because it has a deep, mellow, flavor that I think goes well in uncooked sauces. Fresh garlic is sharp and spicy and can be a bit overwhelming in some recipes.

Greek Turkey Burgers

• ½ tsp minced garlic $0.04
  • ⅓ cup bread crumbs $0.11
  • 1 lg. egg $0.12
  • 1 med. cucumber $0.50
  • 6 hamburger buns $1.64
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  1. Prepare the yogurt sauce by combining the yogurt, ¼ tsp minced garlic, dry dill, juice of half the lemon and a dash of salt. Stir everything to combine and then refrigerate to allow the flavors to blend while you make the burgers.
  2. Thaw the frozen spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Roughly chop the spinach to prevent long stringy pieces. Also chop the sun dried tomatoes and ¼ of the red onion.
  3. In a bowl combine the ground turkey with the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, feta, ½ tsp minced garlic, dried oregano, egg, bread crumbs, ½ tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir everything until it is evenly combined. Shape the mixture into six patties.
  4. Cook the burgers on a counter top grill, a non-stick skillet or over open flame. Spread the yogurt sauce on both sides of a bun, add a warm burger and top with thin slices of red onion and cucumber. Enjoy!

greek turkey burgers

yogurt sauceMake the yogurt sauce first so that the flavors have time to blend while you make the burgers. Combine the yogurt, garlic, dill, juice from half the lemon and a dash of salt.

dill garlic yogurt sauceGive it a taste and see if you want more of this or that. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. I’m officially in love with this sauce.

sun dried tomatoesUse about six halves of sun dried tomatoes. This was about 1/3 of the package that I bought. Because the tomatoes are dried, if you keep them wrapped tightly in the refrigerator the rest should stay good for quite some time. They’re great to add to salads, omelets, pasta and pizza.

chopped tomatoesChop the tomatoes up fairly small so that you’ll get little bits throughout the burger.

minced onionMince 1/4 of the red onion. The rest of the onion will be thinly sliced and used to top the burger. If you have picky eaters, you can just slice some and serve on top for those who like onions.

ground turkeyThis is the ground turkey that I bought. This is white meat which is pretty lean. Ground turkey also comes in dark meat which is fattier so be aware of which one you’re buying.

turkey burger ingredientsIn a bowl combine the turkey, egg, tomato, onion, feta, garlic, oregano, 1/2 tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Because of all of the add-ins, I thought the burger would have a difficult time holding together and would need the egg for extra binding power. After stirring this mixture up, I realized that the turkey is much more mushy than ground beef and probably would have held everything together just fine. In fact, the mixture was a bit too wet with the egg so I ended up stirring in 1/3 cup of bread crumbs. Moral of the story: you might not need the egg OR the bread crumbs to hold this together. I would mix it all together minus the egg and bread crumb to see if it holds a patty shape and if not, then add the egg and bread crumbs.

turkey burger mixThis is the mixture all stirred up. Just gorgeous!

turkey burger pattiesMake six patties out of the turkey mixture. It might be fairly sticky but just do the best you can.

cook turkey burgersI pulled out my George Foreman Grill for the burgers but you can also cook them in a skillet, griddle or grill. If you choose a skillet, make sure it’s non-stick. I tested a couple out in a skillet that was not and despite using tons of oil, they still stuck all over the place and just turned into a hot mess. Literally.

sliced onion cucumberI sliced up the rest of my onion and the cucumber to top the burgers. You could also use fresh tomato, tapenade or hummus.

greek turkey burgergreek turkey burger

1. We had these for dinner tonight (minus the dairy ingredients because I’m allergic) and I thought they were so good! Thanks for an amazing recipe!

2. Skye says:

Do you know the calorie count on one pattie?

3. Lizzie says:

Just made these for dinner and everyone loved them! They didn’t even notice the onions! Yum yum!

4. Sandy says:

Hi I have made these a couple of times, they are really good. I use fresh garlic and didn’t have sundried tomato so used roasted red pepper I think it added a bit more moisture. Thanks for a great recipe.

5. Jo-Anne says:

Just made these for dinner and wow were they good! My husband said he had his doubts about “turkey” burgers but was pleasantly surprised. They were also very filling – we wanted to have more so bad but couldn’t do it! Thank you for the recipe, it’s a keeper!

6. Just made these for dinner and they were great! I really like them without a bun too, just slathered in the yogurt sauce :) i baked them in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through and they were perfect. Thank you for the awesome recipe!

7. Kristina says:

How long did you cook these on the george foreman? I am looking forward to making them!

8. Jena says:

This is pretty interesting mix. I’m gonna give it a try. I often add ground flaxseeds into mine. Not only it’s full of goodness like Omega 3s, but it actually makes your burger more moist.

The only thing I found strange is your avoidance of fats… like selecting leaner meat, low-fat yogurt, etc. Fat is crucial for our bodies and especially for the brain – you might wanna rethink your stand on it. :) http://greatist.com/health/saturated-fat-healthy

9. These look great. I’m not a sun-dried tomatoes fan. Do you think they are critical?

10. Chika says:

This recipe is amazing! I made a couple patties, and put the rest of the batch into the freezer. They kept extremely well. Still so flavorful.

11. Kristin says:

Every recipe I’ve tried from Budget Bytes has been amazing, and this one didn’t disappoint either. I’m not typically fond of sun-dried tomatoes, so I was a little on the fence with the idea of throwing them in something, but no regrets. I could only get seasoned tomatoes, but the flavor was subtle enough that I don’t think it did much to change the taste. Overall verdict? So good I almost want to cook another right now…and I just had one.

12. Sari says:

I’ve just got my first freezer (EXCITING – officially an adult now :P) and I’m completely clueless about what’s good to go in it. Would these freeze well? Looks like it’d be pretty easy to make single servings instead of the batch if not. They look amazing!

13. Lauren says:

My cooking abilities leave much to be desired…luckily my man does most of the cooking or else I would starve. That being said, I attempt making a meal every so often. When I saw this recipe posted on Buzzfeed’s “7 easy dinners to try this week”, it looked super delish and not too difficult (as the title would imply), so I decided to give it a try. The prep was easy. That yogurt sauce is legit! I’ve been spreading the leftover on pita with hummus and sun-dried tomato tapenade. I found the burgers easy to mold without using the egg or breadcrumbs. I love that I was able to sneak some veggies in the patties too. Super yum. I enjoyed them, but more importantly, my boyfriend was very impressed. I will definitely be making these again soon!!!!!!!

14. Lynsey says:

I’m trying to figure out what the green is in the patty? Spinach? I didn’t see that in the ingredient list. These look amazing!

15. K & C says:

Amazing! Trust me… grill on the bbq instead of an indoor grill!

16. Lori says:

These were so very good! I wonder if the recipe could be used to make meatballs?

17. Beth says:

I think that this was one of the BEST recipes that I’ve ever put into my mouth! It’s a keeper! I might make it into a meatloaf next time and see how that works. Great recipe!!!!

18. Brittney says:

Wow these were great!! I didn’t use bread crumbs nor egg and they turned out perfectly. I ate mine without a bun and without the sauce and it was great. So much flavor!! My whole family loved it.

19. Megan says:

I just wanted to express my delight in finding your website. I too am from Louisiana, and I was lucky enough to have a mother who taught me how to cook, how to save money, and how to make use of my freezer. With that said, my family taught me how to make these amazing meals that wasn’t so amazing for my waistline.
    I was so tired of typing “budget friendly healthy meal recipes” in Google. Now I don’t have to! I will be purchasing your cookbook very soon!
    Thank you for all your recipes! They are fantastic! Keep up the good work!

20. Christen says:

So great! Thanks for the recipe.

21. Very tasty. I used fresh garlic instead of jarred and no egg or crumb and it held together fine. Round number two is tonight.

22. jamie says:

I made these last night for my husband and I. They were very fresh tasting, flavorful, and light. We both enjoyed them and I plan on making them again. The only change I made was to use roasted red peppers instead of sun-dried tomatoes, since we like the peppers better.

Thanks for posting this. This is about the 4th or 5th recipe of yours that I’ve tried, and I haven’t found a bad one yet. Keep it up!

23. Wow, these were fantastic! Kids loved them… asked if we can make a weekly Greek turkey burger night! Yum!

24. Samantha says:

OH. MY. GOD. I’ve been so excited for my next cooking night since I found this recipe, and they did not disappoint. This is probably the best burger I’ve ever eaten. Truth be told, I’m not super in to super meaty things (ie. burgers), but if every burger was like this, I’d be so on board. So much flavour, and the yogurt dill sauce is amazing. I whipped up some honey balsamic carrots for the side. I can’t wait for dinner tomorrow!!!

25. I made these on Saturday night on the Foreman. HOLY COW. They were incredibly good. So much flavor. I served them with a small side of a typical greek salad (romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion, oil/vinegar dressing) and replaced hamburger buns with sandwich thins… the whole meal came in at under 500 calories.

26. Kara says:

What would be another cheese to use instead of Feta?

• Well, the feta gives the burgers a distinctly Greek flavor. You could try some mozzarella or goat cheese, but it may stick to the cooking surface and definitely won’t have that classic Greek flavor.

27. Katie says:

Made these tonight! So tasty! The sundried tomatoes really made the burger have a sweet element. I had to substitute other herbs for the dill but everything turned out great! The guys had seconds!

28. MaShana says:

Oh, I meant to add that I made one change to the recipe. I used ground chicken instead of ground turkey. Will try gt next time. Thanks again.

29. MaShana says:

OMG, this was so awesome! I made this for the fam tonight and received kudos all around the table. I love your blog; so many great cheap ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

I’ve been making these turkey burgers for 6 months now, about once a week! It is a FAVORITE in our house! I don’t change the recipe at all! These burgers are so amazing! I always tell myself I am going to double the recipe so I can freeze some for later, but that would never happen! we would just end up eating turkey burgers for like 4 days! I love your website, I pretty much stick to your recipes only when I cook, I have never been let down! Thank you so much for this amazing recipe and your amazing website! My boyfriend is a very happy man because of your recipes! :)

31. Made these today. Left out the egg and bread crumbs and they were perfect. I used the george foreman grill and let them cook on med/high for 12 minutes. Out of this world!!

32. Made these today. Left out the egg and bread crumbs and they were perfect. I used the george foreman grill and let them cook on med/high for 12 minutes. Out of this world!!

SHUT THE FRONT FREAKIN DOOR. These turkey burgers are so out of control good that I ate two before the rest were finished. I took your advice and nixed the egg and breadcrumbs. They held up perfectly on their own. No GF grill here, so I made them in a cast iron skillet with a smidgen of extra virgin olive oil, but other than that no other subs. Have you ever eaten something that would make you want to cry/slap someone/both? These burgers were it! I’ve never eaten a turkey burger this juicy. Winner winner turkey dinner for sure!

34. Amazing burgers…sooooo tasty and I’ve always been really against ground turkey (go beef!) but these changed my mind.

I will say that I did them in an iron frying pan. Next time, I’ll start them in that, and finish them in the oven. They got a little dark before I was comfortable they were done throughout!

Also, since I’m cooking for one and this is one of the spendier recipes, I divided it into sets of two (yes I eat two burgers at a time)and froze four and cooked two. Three meals, four bucks each for THIS GTFO

35. Kate says:

Just made these on a Foreman —- they were DELICIOUS! This recipe is a keeper for sure. Healthy and yummy.

has anyone made these on the grill? how did they turn out?

37. I tried adding fresh cilantro chopped instead of the spinach and added some red-wine vinegar (about 1 tbsp) for a kick. It was YUMMY that way too. My kids liked it both ways and beg for this weekly. Thanks so much!

38. yum!!! amazing! thanks for sharing the recipe and good to know that it has worked well without turning out a dry patty!

I think this may truly be the best burger I’ve ever made! I used fresh spinach and slow roasted my own tomatoes, but other than that I followed your recipe. I fully expected these burgers to be a little dry but they were super moist! I loved the dill sauce as well! So happy I made this, as it will now become a simple recipe to add to the rotation! Thanks so much!
    Tina

40. Rachel says:

Soooo good! I made these for my family and it was a huge hit! I’m recently teaching myself how to cook and this impressed everyone! This blog is great :)

41. Natalie says:

This looks delicious! I’ve got some reduced-fat feta in my fridge that I’ve been trying to find a good recipe for.

These were great! Thank you!

43. Unreal. They were SO good. Thanks for another awesome recipe Beth.

44. Wow, here’s one of those shrinking packages for you: the Fage I just bought yesterday is 6oz, not 7. Stupid food prices.

This was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

46. We make home made burgers regularly. It’s a lot cheaper than buying gourmet burgers which cost $10-12 NZ each. I’m the same when it comes to making burgers. I start off with a small handful of ingredients but then get over excited and the burger ends up being a towering monstrosity. I’ve never seen ground turkey here in New Zealand, but it seems to be a nice change from other minced meats. Though I bet it would be pretty expensive if I managed to track it down. Turkey isn’t all that common here. It’s more like a luxury item…Yup, just tracked down some turkey at my local supermarket. They only do smoked turkey and it’s $30 per kg.

• anon says:

You could probably do it with ground chicken. I’d think it would taste similar.

Looks good! Oh, and for a change up, substitute mint instead of dill for the tzatizki yogurt sauce. That’s how I prefer it :)

I gotta try these! I always make turkey burgers and love to try new ones. I find the key to good cooking with ground turkey is to always get all white meat – it’ll say it on the package. Otherwise it tastes funny and smells even worse.

49. oooh yum! i love trying new ways to cook turkey burgers. this recipe is next up for sure!

50. This recipe sounds great. Some of my favorite ingredients: spinach and feta. Can’t wait to try this Greek inspired burger.

51. oh..my…God! This may be just the tastiest burger EVER made! I must try it and the yogurt dill sauce looks to die for!…wow, I just got really excited over a burger..haha! Can’t wait to try it!