Greek Turkey Burgers

I had never really cooked with ground turkey before (okay, maybe once and it wasn’t good) but I think I discovered the key. You gotta season it up really really good. I added so many goodies to these turkey burgers that they’re almost half way between a veggie burger and turkey burger. Tons of flavor, tons of color, tons of goodness.

I also made a really quick garlic & dill yogurt sauce to go along with the burgers. The sauce was so good that I kept eating it straight with a spoon… I might be making this sauce more often! I’m sure it’s delish on all sorts of stuff. Plus, it’s super quick and easy. You definitely want to use greek yogurt so that the sauce stays nice and thick. If you have regular yogurt, you can strain it over a coffee filter in the refrigerator for a day to remove some of the liquid leaving you with a nice, thick, greek yogurt substitute.

Oh yeah, I used preminced garlic (in a jar) for this recipe because it has a deep, mellow, flavor that I think goes well in uncooked sauces. Fresh garlic is sharp and spicy and can be a bit overwhelming in some recipes.

Greek Turkey Burgers

• ½ tsp minced garlic $0.04
  • ⅓ cup bread crumbs $0.11
  • 1 lg. egg $0.12
  • 1 med. cucumber $0.50
  • 6 hamburger buns $1.64
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  1. Prepare the yogurt sauce by combining the yogurt, ¼ tsp minced garlic, dry dill, juice of half the lemon and a dash of salt. Stir everything to combine and then refrigerate to allow the flavors to blend while you make the burgers.
  2. Thaw the frozen spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Roughly chop the spinach to prevent long stringy pieces. Also chop the sun dried tomatoes and ¼ of the red onion.
  3. In a bowl combine the ground turkey with the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, feta, ½ tsp minced garlic, dried oregano, egg, bread crumbs, ½ tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir everything until it is evenly combined. Shape the mixture into six patties.
  4. Cook the burgers on a counter top grill, a non-stick skillet or over open flame. Spread the yogurt sauce on both sides of a bun, add a warm burger and top with thin slices of red onion and cucumber. Enjoy!

greek turkey burgers

yogurt sauceMake the yogurt sauce first so that the flavors have time to blend while you make the burgers. Combine the yogurt, garlic, dill, juice from half the lemon and a dash of salt.

dill garlic yogurt sauceGive it a taste and see if you want more of this or that. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. I’m officially in love with this sauce.

sun dried tomatoesUse about six halves of sun dried tomatoes. This was about 1/3 of the package that I bought. Because the tomatoes are dried, if you keep them wrapped tightly in the refrigerator the rest should stay good for quite some time. They’re great to add to salads, omelets, pasta and pizza.

chopped tomatoesChop the tomatoes up fairly small so that you’ll get little bits throughout the burger.

minced onionMince 1/4 of the red onion. The rest of the onion will be thinly sliced and used to top the burger. If you have picky eaters, you can just slice some and serve on top for those who like onions.

ground turkeyThis is the ground turkey that I bought. This is white meat which is pretty lean. Ground turkey also comes in dark meat which is fattier so be aware of which one you’re buying.

turkey burger ingredientsIn a bowl combine the turkey, egg, tomato, onion, feta, garlic, oregano, 1/2 tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Because of all of the add-ins, I thought the burger would have a difficult time holding together and would need the egg for extra binding power. After stirring this mixture up, I realized that the turkey is much more mushy than ground beef and probably would have held everything together just fine. In fact, the mixture was a bit too wet with the egg so I ended up stirring in 1/3 cup of bread crumbs. Moral of the story: you might not need the egg OR the bread crumbs to hold this together. I would mix it all together minus the egg and bread crumb to see if it holds a patty shape and if not, then add the egg and bread crumbs.

turkey burger mixThis is the mixture all stirred up. Just gorgeous!

turkey burger pattiesMake six patties out of the turkey mixture. It might be fairly sticky but just do the best you can.

cook turkey burgersI pulled out my George Foreman Grill for the burgers but you can also cook them in a skillet, griddle or grill. If you choose a skillet, make sure it’s non-stick. I tested a couple out in a skillet that was not and despite using tons of oil, they still stuck all over the place and just turned into a hot mess. Literally.

sliced onion cucumberI sliced up the rest of my onion and the cucumber to top the burgers. You could also use fresh tomato, tapenade or hummus.

greek turkey burgergreek turkey burger

1. Sari says:

I’ve just got my first freezer (EXCITING – officially an adult now :P) and I’m completely clueless about what’s good to go in it. Would these freeze well? Looks like it’d be pretty easy to make single servings instead of the batch if not. They look amazing!

2. Lauren says:

My cooking abilities leave much to be desired…luckily my man does most of the cooking or else I would starve. That being said, I attempt making a meal every so often. When I saw this recipe posted on Buzzfeed’s “7 easy dinners to try this week”, it looked super delish and not too difficult (as the title would imply), so I decided to give it a try. The prep was easy. That yogurt sauce is legit! I’ve been spreading the leftover on pita with hummus and sun-dried tomato tapenade. I found the burgers easy to mold without using the egg or breadcrumbs. I love that I was able to sneak some veggies in the patties too. Super yum. I enjoyed them, but more importantly, my boyfriend was very impressed. I will definitely be making these again soon!!!!!!!

3. Lynsey says:

I’m trying to figure out what the green is in the patty? Spinach? I didn’t see that in the ingredient list. These look amazing!

4. K & C says:

Amazing! Trust me… grill on the bbq instead of an indoor grill!

5. Lori says:

These were so very good! I wonder if the recipe could be used to make meatballs?

6. Beth says:

I think that this was one of the BEST recipes that I’ve ever put into my mouth! It’s a keeper! I might make it into a meatloaf next time and see how that works. Great recipe!!!!

7. Brittney says:

Wow these were great!! I didn’t use bread crumbs nor egg and they turned out perfectly. I ate mine without a bun and without the sauce and it was great. So much flavor!! My whole family loved it.

8. Megan says:

I just wanted to express my delight in finding your website. I too am from Louisiana, and I was lucky enough to have a mother who taught me how to cook, how to save money, and how to make use of my freezer. With that said, my family taught me how to make these amazing meals that wasn’t so amazing for my waistline.
    I was so tired of typing “budget friendly healthy meal recipes” in Google. Now I don’t have to! I will be purchasing your cookbook very soon!
    Thank you for all your recipes! They are fantastic! Keep up the good work!

9. Christen says:

So great! Thanks for the recipe.

10. Very tasty. I used fresh garlic instead of jarred and no egg or crumb and it held together fine. Round number two is tonight.

11. jamie says:

I made these last night for my husband and I. They were very fresh tasting, flavorful, and light. We both enjoyed them and I plan on making them again. The only change I made was to use roasted red peppers instead of sun-dried tomatoes, since we like the peppers better.

Thanks for posting this. This is about the 4th or 5th recipe of yours that I’ve tried, and I haven’t found a bad one yet. Keep it up!

12. Wow, these were fantastic! Kids loved them… asked if we can make a weekly Greek turkey burger night! Yum!

13. Samantha says:

OH. MY. GOD. I’ve been so excited for my next cooking night since I found this recipe, and they did not disappoint. This is probably the best burger I’ve ever eaten. Truth be told, I’m not super in to super meaty things (ie. burgers), but if every burger was like this, I’d be so on board. So much flavour, and the yogurt dill sauce is amazing. I whipped up some honey balsamic carrots for the side. I can’t wait for dinner tomorrow!!!

14. I made these on Saturday night on the Foreman. HOLY COW. They were incredibly good. So much flavor. I served them with a small side of a typical greek salad (romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion, oil/vinegar dressing) and replaced hamburger buns with sandwich thins… the whole meal came in at under 500 calories.

15. Kara says:

What would be another cheese to use instead of Feta?

• Well, the feta gives the burgers a distinctly Greek flavor. You could try some mozzarella or goat cheese, but it may stick to the cooking surface and definitely won’t have that classic Greek flavor.