freezer breakfast burritos

Remember a while back when I made freezer burritos? Well, if you don’t, the long and the short of it is that they were awesome but not necessarily less expensive than the frozen burritos from the store. I planned to try again with homemade tortillas and cooked rather than canned beans to further reduce the cost. Today I finally got around to doing so.

You can put whatever you want in the burritos but I used my homemade tortillas, scrambled eggs, black beans from my freezer, salsa and cheese. I made the burritos a little healthier by using half whole wheat flour in the tortillas, using reduced fat cheddar and omega-3 enhanced eggs. Even with the more expensive cheese and eggs, the burritos were still only $0.59 each. I WIN! Now I have something healthy, delicious AND satisfying to tide me over between the gym and work. There will be no temptation to run to the vending machine or coffee shop for me!!

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

freezer breakfast burritos

freezer breakfast burritos

• 6 large tortillas $0.24
  • 6 large eggs $0.98
  • 1 Tbsp butter $0.07
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes $0.02
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  • 2 cups black beans $0.40
  • 6 Tbsp salsa $0.31
  • 6 oz. cheddar cheese $1.49
  1. Crack six eggs into a bowl and whisk slightly. Heat a medium skillet with 1 Tbsp of butter over a medium flame. Once the skillet is hot, pour in the eggs. As the edges of the eggs begin to set, use a spatula to gently pull them in towards the center of the pan, allowing liquid egg to fill in the empty space left behind. Continue to do this until the eggs are mostly set but still glossy. Turn off the heat and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. (you can cook the scrambled eggs however you’d like but this is how I cook them to prevent ending up with dry, pellet-like, over cooked scrambled eggs).
  2. Lay your tortillas out on a counter top. Divide the eggs among the six tortillas. Place the eggs just to one side of the center line of the tortilla (this will make rolling the burrito easier. See photos below for examples).
  3. Top the eggs with about ¼ cup of beans, 1 Tbsp of salsa and 1 oz of cheese on each burrito. Roll the burritos up and set aside, seam side down.
  4. Place the burritos, seam side down, in a warm skillet until the tortilla is golden brown and crispy. Cook on all sides in the same manner. Allow the burritos to cool just slightly, wrap tightly with plastic wrap or parchment paper, label and freeze.
Notes
To reheat burritos: Remove the outer wrapping and place the burrito on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high until heated through.

burrito fixinsThis is what I filled my burritos with. Use whatever you have in your fridge and freezer. Burritos are a great way to use up those left overs and miscellaneous ingredients!

making eggsCrack your eggs into a large bowl and whisk. I don’t like to whisk mine too much, I prefer to still have bits of white and yellow. I had already divided up my cheese into six, one ounce portions.

make eggsHeat a skillet with a little bit of butter over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, pour in the eggs and cook them until they are mostly set but still soft and glossy. There is no need to whisk or scramble while they cook… gently move the eggs around a little as they set.

season eggsOnce the eggs have cooked, turn off the heat and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

divide eggsLay out all six tortillas and divide the eggs among them. Place the eggs to one side of the center line to make rolling easier.

fill burritosAlso add about 1/4 cup of beans, 1 Tbsp of salsa and 1 oz. of cheese to each burrito.

roll burritosRoll the burritos up.

crisp burritosI like to place the burritos back in the pan and cook them until they are golden and crisp on all sides. This helps them stay put once wrapped. (yeah, I know, a couple of those are still coming open… it’s okay, I’ll just eat that end first.)

wrap and freeze burritosWrap the burritos up tightly, label and freeze. To reheat, just remove the wrapping and microwave on high until heated through. (did you notice there are now only four burritos in that bag destined for the freezer? Yeah, they were so good that I ate one for breakfast and then another for lunch :P)

NOTE: I know some of you are probably thinking “yeah right, I’m not going to spend all of that time making tortillas then more time making beans just to make some breakfast burritos…” The point is that you can make the individual components at different times and on different days (because they freeze well), then when you want to put it all together, it’s easy and cheap. I like to have one freezer project per week, whether it be beans, tortillas, pasta sauce or some other staple item. It’s like going to the store to stock your pantry with dry good except you’re making things at home to stock your freezer. If I had made the tortillas, beans and burritos all in one day, I probably would have been worn out too!

1. susan says:

fantastic! what a great idea. I made 12 of them, froze them. I found I have to defrost them 2 days, and then pop them in the microwave for 1.5 minutes.
    I had some extra fresh tarragon on hand, and wow! That made these incredible!
    I will definitely be adding this to my inventory. Next time, I will try eggs and ham and cheese with herbs. The combinations are endless.
    It is such a help to have hot breakfasts ready for the morning!

2. Steph D says:

Just made these. So good! I used 12 eggs, 1 can black beans, 1 8oz package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and about a half a jar of salsa. I bought all the ingredients at the store today and spent $8 for 8 HUGE breakfast burritos. I ate one for dinner and am stuffed! This is definitely going in my regular meal rotation.

3. Melissa says:

I just made these and they’re cooling on their way to the freezer.
    I have been making your freezer burritos for quite a while. My husband takes one for lunch every day. I now fill them with your crock pot not refried beans. Despite all this practice, I’m still a terrible burrito-roller! (my breakfast burritos are not too pretty) I did add your last step of toasting them in a pan which I’d never done. I think that will make them extra tasty even it it did compromise their weak construction.

4. Emily says:

These are so awesome and have changed my mornings for the better! Really easy, cheap and healthy (though I am thinking I might see how bacon works in them). Melty cheese in the morning makes getting up just a little easier.

Still struggling a bit to find the best microwave process. They take awhile to warm up, and it’s hard to warm them evenly. I’d say it’s at least 3 minutes on high, with lots of moving it around (and even cutting it in half) to get an even amount of warmth.

5. Amanda says:

How long do you microwave these straight from the freezer?

• It really depends on how big they end up… start with a couple minutes and add a little more time as needed.

I made these a couple days ago for my boyfriend and I to have quick breakfasts. The first morning he at one and a banana and told me they were awesome. The second morning he ate two and said “Okay, on the to do list this week: make more of these!” I’d say, that’s a big hit! :) Thanks for the recipe!!!

These are a must try for this week. Will try with potatoes.Like the cost brake down with step by step instructions.

8. If anyone wants the calorie count, it’s about 450 for one of these – and they are REALLY BIG! I could easily eat only half for breakfast and be completely full. I’m making my own tortillas this week and going to try it with some other fillings too. Tasty, portable, easy breakfast. Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

9. Val – Cooked potatoes would be fantastic in these! Great idea! :D

10. How do you think these would do with cooked cubed potatoes?

Also – your blog is amazing and addicting!

~Val~

I just made these, and I have a little tip to share: if you put a little bit of shredded cheese on the edge of the tortilla right as you’re about to roll it close, it’ll act as a glue of sorts. Then, when you put it in the pan to brown, hold the burrito on its side just until the cheese melts. This made for some mich neater burritos.

12. I put mine straight from the freezer to the microwave :)

Can this go from the freezer right to the microwave, or do they have to thaw first?

14. Anon – I don’t know why they didn’t stick, really. Ha! I used just a bit of butter in the pan! It may have something to do with these pans, they’re highly polished unlike some of my other stainless pots and pans.

Can’t wait to try these! I couldn’t help but notice that you cooked the eggs in a stainless steel pan, yet it looks like the eggs didn’t stick at all. How did you manage that?! I no longer cook eggs with my SS pan because I always end up leaving at least an egg’s worth of egg stuck onto it, despite greasing it first.

has anyone tried to reheat these yet? what would be the best way? if microwave- about how long?

17. Anon, I would think if you suspected condensation to be the culprit in your soggy burritos, you could simply allow them to cool before packing for the freezer. :)

18. Anon – Yes, you can. I would recook (heat to 160 degrees) the beans after thawing just to kill anything that may have grown during storage. Freezing slows down but does not necessarily kill organisms.

Can we used frozen black beans, make burritos and once again freeze that burritos? Just need to clarified, since I have 2 ziploc bags fulled with black beans…..

Thanks for everything you’re doing. This is a great blog!

I’ve had trouble with these. Something happens to them in the freezer to cause them to become very soggy upon thawing. I’m guessing it has to do with the heat from the burrito causing condensation inside the freezer bag, or the remaining water escaping from the eggs/beans.

22. Karlyn says:

You can also whisk about 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder into your eggs (and a splash of milk if you have it) to make them “restaurant fluffy” :)

23. Snozzberry says:

About how big around are those tortillas? Don’t have the space to make my own (yet) but I’ve been thinking about doing this with some store-bought ones.

24. Anndrea – 3 months is a safe max freezer time for the burritos… although I CAN’T imagine them lasting that long!!

25. How long do they keep in the freezer?
    Great ercipe btw!

26. Brocksmommy says:

I made these last night – yummy!! My 2 year old ate one for dinner, he called it a hotdog- he obviously rarely gets those!! I had one this am for breakfast, not only did it taste great but it stuck with me (I’m pregnant so rarely does food do that!) My husband has requested some with sausage and I may add some onions and green peppers. Thanks for the awesome recipe. This is my new favorite food blog – not only are your recipe delish, but they are easy to make and use ingredients I have on hand or can easily obtain (oh, the price is good too!) Thanks!!

27. I’ll try this. It’s in Evernote for the next time I go to the grocery store.

28. This is an amazing idea! I love breakfast burritos, and will definitely be trying this out sometime!

29. Great idea!! I think I’ll try this on this upcoming weekend to freeze for my crazy work shift!!

Thanks for sharing:)