Many of my day to day meals are just a hodgepodge of random ingredients that I find in my fridge all thrown into a bowl or a wrap. While I don’t really consider these “recipes,” they might spark some inspiration for some of you, so it can’t hurt to post them, right? These Vegetable Breakfast Scrambles are one of my favorite quick breakfast bowls (they take less than 10 minutes), and a lot of people have been asking about them since I showed them in my Instagram stories for the Vegetarian Challenge. I’ve shown my current combo below, but I’ll also list some other ingredients that I sometimes throw into the mix!
Other Bowl Options:
You can really add anything you like to these bowls, but here are some other things I’ve added in the past:
- mixed baby greens
- broccoli (chopped fine)
- cheese (shredded cheddar or feta are nice)
- chipotle ranch
- roasted vegetables
- green onion
- black beans
Vegetable Breakfast Scrambles
- 1/2 Tbsp butter ($0.03)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced ($0.25)
- 2 cups spinach ($0.50)
- 2 large eggs ($0.50)
- seasoning of choice* ($0.05)
- 6 grape tomatoes, sliced in half ($0.34)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced ($0.13)
- 1/4 cup hummus ($0.37)
- pinch salt and pepper ($0.02)
- Add the butter to a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium. Once melted, add the diced bell pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and sauté just until wilted (about one minute).
- Push the vegetable to the sides and crack the eggs in the center. Add the seasoning of your choice. Keeping the skillet over medium heat, begin to scramble the eggs, mixing them with the vegetables. When the eggs are mostly set, remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the cooked eggs and vegetables to a bowl and top with sliced tomatoes, avocado, hummus, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make Vegetable Breakfast Scrambles – Step by Step Photos
Start by adding 1/2 Tbsp butter to a large non-stick skillet (I’m using a ceramic Greenpan brand skillet here) and placing over medium heat. Once melted, add 1/2 of a bell pepper (diced) and sauté for just a minute or two. Next, add two cups (about two handfuls) of fresh spinach and sauté just until wilted (about one more minute).
Push the vegetables to the sides and crack the eggs in the center. Season the eggs and vegetables with a seasoning blend of your choice (I used Onion Salt today, but there are more ideas for seasoning blends in the recipe notes above).
Continue to cook over medium heat as you begin to scramble the eggs and mix them with the vegetables. Scramble just until the eggs are set, then remove from the heat.
Transfer the vegetable egg scramble to a bowl and top with 6 sliced grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup hummus, 1/4 of an avocado (sliced), and a pinch of salt and pepper. Done! And sooooo tasty!