Sweet potatoes and chili are totally made for each other. The subtle sweetness of the sweet potatoes perfectly contrasts the smoky, spicy flavor of the chili. Add a little creamy cheese on top and you’ve got the perfect trifecta! These Turkey Chili Smothered Sweet Potatoes are an easy, pre-portioned meal that is filling, delicious, and works great for weekly meal prep!
Originally posted 12-21-2015, updated 2-25-2020.
Can I Use Beef Instead?
Absolutely! The chili included in this recipe is basically a half batch of my basic Homemade Chili recipe, which is extremely customizable. You can swap out the protein, make it spicy or mild (reduce or eliminate the cayenne), or add other fun ingredients, like cocoa powder!
Make them Vegetarian
Yes, simply swap the 1/2 lb. of ground turkey for an extra can of black beans, or kidney beans, and you have a super delish vegetarian chili to top your sweet potatoes. :)
Meal Prep the Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
After stuffing your sweet potatoes with chili and cheese, simply pack each one into an individual, microwave-safe container. To reheat, simply microwave on high for about 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Other Chili Smothered Sweet Potato Toppings
As with any bowl of chili, these chili smothered sweet potatoes are just asking you to go have fun with the toppings. Here are some ideas for toppings, if you happen to have them on hand:
- Sour cream
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Pickled red onions
- Crushed tortilla chips or Fritos
- Bacon bits
- Lime crema
- Diced onion
Want more stuffed baked potato recipes? Check out my list of baked potato toppings in How to Make Baked Potatoes!
Turkey Chili Smothered Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey ($2.00)
- 1 yellow onion ($0.32)
- 2 cloves garlic ($0.16)
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes ($0.59)
- 3 oz. tomato paste (1/2 of a 6oz. can) ($0.25)
- 1 15oz. can black beans ($0.79)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder ($0.30)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
- 1 cup water ($0.00)
- 1/2 tsp Salt ($0.02)
POTATOES AND TOPPINGS
- 4 small sweet potatoes (3/4 lb. each) ($3.94)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($0.43)
- Cilantro or green onions for garnish ($0.25)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Wash the sweet potatoes well, then prick the skins several times with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake for 60 minutes, or until soft and oozing from the fork holes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the small batch of chili. Add the ground turkey and olive oil to a large pot. Sauté the turkey over medium heat. While the turkey is cooking, dice the yellow onion and mince the garlic. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and continue to sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Drain the beans and add them to the pot along with the diced tomatoes (with juices), tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and water. Stir to combine. Allow the chili to come up to a simmer, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the sweet potatoes have finished baking, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp).
- Once the sweet potatoes are finished baking, carefully slice each one open lengthwise and slightly mash the insides. Spoon about 3/4 cup chili over each potato, then top with 2 Tbsp shredded cheddar. Return the potatoes to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Top with cilantro or sliced green onions just before serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
How to Make Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – Step by Step Photos
Begin by preheating the oven to 400ºF. Wash four small sweet potatoes (about 3/4 lb. each). Prick the skins of each potato several times with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, then bake the sweet potatoes in the preheated oven for about 60 minutes, or until they’re soft all the way through and are oozing sugary juice from the fork holes.
While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the small batch of chili. Add 1/2 lb. ground turkey and 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large pot. Sauté the turkey over medium heat. While the turkey is cooking, dice the yellow onion and mince 2 cloves garlic. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and continue to sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
Drain one 15oz. can black beans and add them to the pot along with one 15oz. can diced tomatoes (with juices), 3oz. tomato paste, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1 cup water. Stir to combine.
Allow the chili to come up to a simmer, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the sweet potatoes have finished baking, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp).
Test the sweet potatoes to make sure they are baked all the way through by piercing with a fork or a small knife. The potatoes should be soft all the way through, and juices should be bubbling out of the fork holes that were made before baking.
Once the sweet potatoes are baked and soft all the way through , slice them open lengthwise and slightly mash the inside of the sweet potatoes.
Scoop about 3/4 cup turkey chili onto each sweet potato.
Add a couple tablespoons of shredded cheddar to each potato, then return the baking sheet to the oven for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Finally, top with a little chopped cilantro or sliced green onions (or hey, sour cream?) just before serving.
And then you have four incredibly delicious, single portion sized Turkey Chili Smothered Sweet Potatoes! Bonus, I had some chili left over that will serve as an extra meal for me. :)