What’s for dinner?? It’s the question that never goes away. Well, here’s another easy answer for you. This Baked Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes is a simple recipe that you can whip up with pantry staples, and quickly. Just make sure your chicken breasts are thawed and you’re ready to go. The ingredients stew together in the oven and create a deliciously garlicky broth that shouldn’t be wasted. Serve this chicken with some good crusty bread or rolls for sopping up the flavors, or spoon the chicken and juices over a bed of rice. You won’t be sorry!
Baked Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
Cheese Makes Everything Better
The creamy mozzarella really pulls the flavors together in this dish, so I would caution against skipping it. If you want to go a little further, you can add a light sprinkle of Parmesan, or even a few feta crumbles as well. More cheese = more delicious, but also more expensive, so find your balance. ;)
Optional Herbal Garnishes
I garnished with parsley for the photos, but it really isn’t necessary for the flavor. If you happen to have a basil plant at home though, chiffonade a few leaves and sprinkle them on top for a truly incredible finish. 👌
Baked Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes, drained ($0.69)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.22)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced ($0.24)
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano ($0.07)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice ($0.02)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb. total) ($4.04)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper ($0.05)
- 1 14oz. can artichoke hearts ($2.29)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella ($0.94)
- Drain the diced tomatoes. In a medium bowl, combine the drained tomatoes with the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. Stir well, then set the tomato mixture aside. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover them with a sheet of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or rolling pin to carefully pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Don't pound with too much force or the breasts may split. Start at the thickest part of the breast and work your way out toward the edges. Once pounded, slice each chicken breast into two portions and season each side with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drain the can of artichoke hearts and roughly chop them into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Place a handful of the artichoke pieces in the bottom of a casserole dish, then lay the chicken pieces over top. Cover the chicken with the remaining artichoke pieces. Pour the tomato mixture over top.
- Bake the chicken, uncovered, in the fully preheated oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, sprinkle one cup of mozzarella over top. Switch oven's setting from bake to broil and broil the dish (on the middle rack) for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and browned. Serve immediately.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Serve Baked Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
As mentioned above, the liquid in the baking dish is super scrumptious and shouldn’t be wasted. I suggest serving this chicken over rice, or with some crusty bread for dipping in that liquid. Or even better yet, how about some Homemade Garlic Bread? YES PLEASE. It would also be awesome over my Lemon Parsley Pasta.
Step by Step Photos
Drain one 15oz. can of diced tomatoes. In a medium bowl combine them with 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 3/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt, some freshly cracked pepper, and 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice. Set the mixture aside. Begin to preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Place two boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover them with a sheet of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or rolling pin to pound out the breast until they are an even thickness. I know it sounds strange to say “gently pound”, but honestly, if you hit with too much force you’ll split the meat. So, just gently work your way from the thickest part of the breasts out towards the edges, until they’re even all the way across. About 1/2 inch thick.
Then cut each breast into two portions. Each portion is about the size of a deck of cards. Season each side of the chicken pieces with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Drain a 14oz. can of artichoke hearts, then roughly chop them into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Place a handful of the pieces in the bottom of a casserole dish, then place the chicken pieces on top. Cover the chicken with the remaining artichoke hearts.
Pour the diced tomato mixture over the chicken and artichoke hearts. Bake the dish (uncovered) in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella over the chicken, switch the setting on the oven from bake to broil, and broil the dish until the cheese is bubbly and browned. Serve immediately.
And that’s all it takes to make this scrumptious Baked Chicken with Artichoke Hearts and Tomatoes!
And like I said, don’t forget about those delicious juices in the bottom of the dish! Oh so good!