Eating anything with marinara sauce is just so much better when you have a garlicky, crispy piece of bread, with a soft center to sop up the extra sauce. So, while I was planning my Pesto Stuffed Shells this week, I thought about grabbing a box of garlic bread from the freezer aisle… after all, it’s very cheap, only about $2 a box. Then I started thinking, “Well, I can buy a HUGE loaf of fresh french bread for a dollar… can I make homemade garlic bread for less?” You bet!
Post updated 1-16-17
Easy Homemade Garlic Bread
What Kind of Bread Should I Use for Homemade Garlic Bread?
Many grocery stores sell giant loaves of French bread hot from their bakery every day for $1-$2. I like these slightly large and fluffy loaves for garlic bread because they soak up all that buttery goodness really well. More traditional baguettes, which are a bit more hearty can tend to get a little tough when baked in the oven, so I prefer the lighter loaves for garlic bread.
How to Freeze Homemade Garlic Bread
After spreading the delicious garlic butter mixture onto your loaf, freeze the garlic bread flat on a baking sheet until it’s solid, then transfer to an air-tight container. It can then be baked straight from the freezer, with just a couple of extra baking time added. Or you can slice the bread first, like in my Freezer Garlic Bread recipe.
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread
Super simple. Just add shredded cheese, like mozzarella, on top of the garlic spread before baking. Or, mix 2-3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan to the garlic butter mixture. Or, maybe you want to do both!
See this recipe used in my weekly meal prep.
Homemade Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf French bread, approx. 24" long ($1.29)
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature ($0.44)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced ($0.24)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped ($0.12)
- a pinch salt ($0.02)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a bowl, stir together the room temperature butter, olive oil, minced garlic, chopped parsley, and a pinch of salt until relatively smooth.
- Cut the French bread into two 12" long pieces, then cut each piece open lengthwise. Lay the bread on a baking sheet cut sides facing up. Spread the garlic butter mixture evenly over the open surfaces of the bread.*
- Bake the bread for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and crispy. Cut the bread into 2-inch sections and serve hot.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
How to Make Garlic Bread – Step By Step Photos
Begin by preheating the oven to 400ºF. In a bowl, combine 4 Tbsp room temperature butter, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic, about 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, and a pinch of salt.
Mix these ingredients together until they’re evenly combined.
Cut one large French loaf (24 inches) into two 12-inch sections, then cut each section open lengthwise. Lay the bread pieces on a baking sheet, cut side facing up. Spread the garlic butter mixture over the open surfaces of the bread.
Bake the garlic bread in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crispy on the edges. Cut the garlic bread into two-inch sections and serve.
Yaassssssss. Garlic bread ❤️ forever.