stromboli

What’s better than pizza? Pizza in a different shape!

Okay, so stromboli isn’t exactly like pizza, but it’s pretty darn close. It’s like a sauce-less pizza rolled up into a delicious coil… and I have to admit, the coil makes it really fun to eat. You can eat it plain (like I do) or dip each slice into sauce. It’s great both ways.

This stromboli is only as expensive as the ingredients you decide to put inside of it. Ever since I made the salami Italian sandwiches back in December, I’ve wanted salami again. So, even though it was a lil’bit pricy, i sprung for it. I also used provolone cheese because it goes great with salami and some banana pepper rings that I had leftover in the fridge. It was PERFECT.

Oh, and FYI, I totally intended to make a big green salad after all of that gooey Jalapeno Popper Mac n’ Cheese, but the grocery store was out of kale so I had to put the salad that I had planned on hold till my next day off, which is Wednesday. So, hang in there. I’ll have something healthy soon. Promise.

Stromboli

FILLINGS/TOPPINGS
  • ⅓ lb. salami $3.23
  • 6 slices provolone cheese $2.50
  • ½ cup banana pepper slices $0.90
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend $0.05
  1. Combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar, and stir until dissolved. Let that sit for about five minutes or until it becomes frothy on top. After five minutes, stir in the olive oil and salt. Pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl and add one cup of flour. Stir until smooth.
  2. Continue to add flour, a half cup at a time, until you can no longer stir it with a spoon. At that point turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about five minutes, adding more flour as you go. Knead in flour until the dough is soft, but no longer sticky. You should use roughly 2.25 to 3 cups of flour total. Form the dough into a ball, place it back in the bowl, loosely cover it with plastic, and let it rise for 1-1.5 hours, or until double in size.
  3. Once the dough is double in size, take it out of the bowl and place it on a floured surface again. Pat the dough down into a rough rectangular shape and then gently stretch and coax the dough into a larger 12×18 inch rectangle. Stretching the dough rather than rolling it with a rolling pin will give you a fluffier end product.
  4. Arrange your toppings over the dough. Roll the dough up so that it forms an 18 inch log. Place the rolled dough on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over top. Allow the stromboli to rise for about an hour.
  5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the stromboli for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Slice the stromboli into 12 pieces, about 1.5 inches each. Enjoy!

Stromboli

proof yeastFirst stir together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Wait about five minutes or until the top gets very frothy. It’s hard to see the thick layer of very fine foam on top of the liquid here, but it’s there. Those big bubbles are actually on top of the foam. Once it gets foamy, stir in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt.

flourAdd the yeast mixture and one cup of flour to a large bowl. Stir until it looks smooth like this. Then continue to stir in more flour until it becomes a sticky ball of dough.

dough ballAt that point, turn the sticky dough out onto a floured surface and knead in more flour until you reach about 2.5 to 3 cups total flour total and have kneaded for about 5 minutes. The end product should be a soft but not sticky ball of dough that springs back when you poke it with a finger.

risen doughPut the dough back in the bowl, cover it loosely with plastic, and let it rise until double (1-1.5 hours).

shape doughTake the risen dough out of the bowl and put it on a floured surface. First press it down into a rough rectangular shape and then gently stretch it into a larger, 18×12 inch rectangle. Don’t be tempted to use a rolling pin, it will squash the dough.

toppingsNext, lay your toppings on the dough. You don’t need to put the toppings on thick because once you roll it up, the toppings will be in 2-3 layers.

banana peppersYummm… banana peppers. You can kind of clean out your fridge with this, but just try to avoid ingredients that have a lot of moisture because that will give you a soggy stromboli.

roll stromboliRoll the stromboli up along the short side, so that you end up with an 18 inch log (stromboli, I mean).

rise stromboliPaint the stromboli with some more olive oil, sprinkle it with Italian seasoning, and then let the stromboli rise. Rise, stromboli, RISE! (about an hour).

baked stromboliPreheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the stromboli for about 25 minutes or until it is golden brown. I’ll admit, I only let my stromboli rise for about 30 minutes and the toppings inside were cold, so it didn’t rise much… but it was still incredible!

stromboliThen just slice it up and eat!

1. Amber says:

I just made this and it was soooo good. I now have a signature dish to bring to any potluck party in the near future!

2. amanda says:

I’ve been making stromboli for years! I’ve always used rhodes bread, found in the frozen section. Let it thaw and rise. I also dice up the meat and cheese.

3. Had pinned this ages ago and made tonight–no changes except subbing a ball of Trader Joe’s pizza dough for the homemade. So good!

4. Kathy says:

Mine didn’t turn out, I don’t think the 1 tsp. of active dry yeast was enough…for some reason it didn’t get real foamy to form a good rise.

5. Brooklyn says:

What do you think the odds are that you could freeze individual pieces after you’ve done all the baking and microwave them from frozen like pizza pockets/pops/etc.? This looks delicious and I know my boyfriend would just LOVE to have this every day, except my pants would not like to have it every day.

6. Katie says:

Beth, embarrassed to ask, but could I make this with a store bought dough? Like a Pillsbury thing I can roll out?? I’m just not good with homemade dough but really want to try this recipe in some manner!

• I’ve never worked with that pizza dough that you roll out of a can, so I’m not sure how sturdy it is or how much it rises. A lot of mom and pop pizza places will sell balls of the raw dough, though, for just a couple of dollars. So, check your local pizza places, too!

• Katie, yes, you can use pizza crust. I use the canned Pillsbury pizza dough for stromboli, it works out great.

7. Patti says:

Do you know how many calories are in this?

Making this now…in the rising stage…wondering if it could be frozen at any stage…such as the ball of risen dough, the shaped 12″ x 18″ crust, the rolled but uncooked stromboli, or the baked product.
    Thank you!

• You can freeze it right after the kneading stage. Then, let it thaw at room temperature and it will thaw/rise at the same time and you can go from there. :)

9. Richard says:

I made a complete mess out of this. Half way through making I realised my tinned tomatoes came with too much fluid, Then I couldn’t roll it. So i ended up with a calzone. Very good recipe though :)

10. Stefanie Benoit says:

i made it with half wheat half white …. and but in seasoned fresh spinach with green onions…..was soooo good…love this recipe, theres so much things u can do with it

11. toxicbeaver says:

I’ve made one with gouda (instead of provolone), salami, diced fried turkey breast, kidney beans and corn – it was divine!

12. Danielle says:

I’m getting a little obsessed with this one! I’ve made one with provolone and pepperoni then another with pepper jack, banana peppers, and black olives. I make a chunky tomato sauce with onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper for dipping.

And then I realized that I could also go the dessert route. For toppings I used brown sugar and chocolate chips, then I brushed it with melted butter. Yum!

Yep…as long as you don’t make it soggy let your imagination go wild. Dessert, pizza, cheesy garlic bread, any sandwich fillings that you like…..sausage, scrambled egg, and cheese perhaps?

13. Christina A says:

I made this last night! the only thing I changed was I added different colored sweet baby bell peppers to mine… it was fantastic!!! I couldnt believe how amazing this was. thank you so much!!! I have made a few recipes from your site now and they have all been amazing!!!!! I’m in love :)

14. Melissa says:

Would crescent rolls be an OK substitute? I never use them, but they came to mind when I saw this recipe. Excited to try it out! :)

• Personally, I don’t think that I would like crescent rolls. They’re a much more delicate texture than pizza dough. But perhaps you would like it? I guess it just depends on the person :)

15. Looks great and easy to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

16. Nicole says:

Awesome recipe! I use your dough recipe for all different kinds of calzones :) thanks!

17. Would I be able to use whole wheat flour instead? If not I need to buy more white flour. Thanks for the insights!

• You can usually substitute up to half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and not have it make too big of a texture difference. If you use all whole wheat, though, the dough is likely to be very heavy and dense.

• Beth,

Thanks for the insight. I should definitely have enough white flour still to use half and half. Can’t wait to make this this weekend.

Thanks again for all the yummy recipes!

18. ccam says:

I must say, I was hesitant to try this, because I’m always worried about messing up my dough (under-kneading or over-kneading) but this turned out really good! I’ll be interested to try it with other ingredients.

19. Made this tonight but I used roasted red peppers instead of banana peppers. A bit soggy but with all the melted cheese and salami goodness it didn’t matter. Delicious!

20. Yep, from my experience pretty much any yeast dough will continue to rise in the refrigerator, just at a much, much slower rate.

21. Can this dough rise in the refrigerator like your pizza dough?

22. Unknown – You can use the instant yeast, but I would mix it with the warm water in the same way that I did with the active dry yeast. That method seems to work better for short rise breads. Use the same amount as the active dry. You can always use instant yeast in place of active dry, but not vice versa… if that makes sense :)

23. It looks amazing, I think I’ll try it for my super bowl party..
    one question. What if I substitute the instant yeast I bought for your amazing focaccia rolls? do I use the same amount of yeast, and just combine all the dry ingredients before adding the water? Or do I really need to buy the other kind of yeast too?

Thanks!

24. Made this last night and was delicious, though did it with pepperoni and mozzarella as it was what I was in the mood for. I also threw in some mushrooms and bell peppers (sauteing them first, to remove some of the moisture issue)

Thanks for the awesome recipes and ideas :)

25. I made this last night and my boyfriend loved it! Unfortunately it did end up slightly soggy inside as I used mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, but overall I was hugely pleased with it. Tonight I’m making your teryaki meatballs for supper. Thanks so much for all the great recipes!

Hi Beth.
    This sounds delicious!
    I just found an interesting cooking lecture thatis currently being prepared. I think it might be something for you to try out. ;O)

27. Hi Beth! Made this last night with turkey pepperoni, mushrooms and a little bit of pizza sauce. My husband loved it! Never sure that the dough that I make turns out right, but it tasted great. Thanks for the recipe!

28. This looks amazing! Thanks so much :) Love your site! It’s my go to!

29. I like dipping my stromboli. This looks wonderful!
    p.s. I have found myself consulting your blog a LOT while menu planning. I even cooked beans from scratch last week! Thank you for all of your hard work.

30. Looks great!

It looks amazing!

32. Thank với bài viết rất hay và bổ ích của bạn.
    Truyen sex, Truyen sex, Truyen sex, Truyen sex, Truyen sex, Truyen dam, Truyen sex hay, Truyen sex

33. Margo – I would only use up to 50% whole wheat flour. More than that and it tends to get really dense.

34. You make it look so easy? Pizza & Stromboli are my favs too, but I like the sauce! Could you use whole wheat flour here?

• Fallon says:

I make pizza dough out of white whole wheat pretty often, that could work here :) It is how I plan to try it.