smoothie packs & my favorite smoothie

I’ve got another quickie for you tonight. It’s more of an idea than a recipe. I’m sure a lot of you Budget Byters already stock your freezers with these handy smoothie packs, but I wanted to share the tip for those who may be new to the kitchen. Not only does this make smoothies faster and easier to make, but they’re a fraction, a small fraction, of what you’ll pay at your local smoothie counter.

So, the formula is easy. Three one pound bags of frozen fruit of your choice, and four bananas. Divide the frozen fruit up into 8 bags, and place half of a peeled banana in each bag as well. Seal them up tight and toss them into the freezer. When you’re ready to make your delicious smoothie, place the frozen fruit in the blender, add milk (or soy or almond milk), and whatever else you want and press go! No more hauling ten ingredients out of the freezer every time you want to make one smoothie. Just grab one bag and add a liquid. Sure, I also add spinach, cinnamon, and ground flax seed, but it’s still way easier to have the fruit divided up. And it only takes about 5 minutes to make all 8 packs.

fruit n flax smoothie

This is my favorite smoothie – peaches, strawberries, raspberries, banana, spinach, light vanilla soy milk, ground flax seed, and cinnamon. It works, trust me! If you like things sweet, add a touch of honey and it’ll blow you away.

smoothie packs

• 16 oz. frozen strawberries $2.69
  • 16 oz. frozen raspberries $4.15
  • 16 oz. frozen peaches $2.69
  • 4 medium bananas $0.86
  1. Divide the ingredients equally between 8 quart-sized freezer bags (1/2 banana per bag).
  2. Freeze the smoothie packs until ready to use or up to three months.

smoothie packs & my favorite smoothie

• 1 frozen smoothie pack $1.30
  • 1 cup light vanilla soy milk $0.41
  • 1 handful baby spinach $0.53
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax seed $0.03
  • ½ tsp cinnamon $0.03
  1. Empty one smoothie pack into a blender and add the soy milk, spinach, flax, and cinnamon.
  2. Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if needed.

frozen fruitThis is what goes into the frozen smoothie packs. I switch up the fruit a lot (I like blueberries too), but I always try to have at least three. Adding frozen bananas to a smoothie gives it a nice ice cream-like texture. If you’ve never used a frozen banana in your smoothie, then you haven’t lived. Okay, maybe that’s a bit extreme, but you’ve got to try it.

divide fruitDivide the fruit between 8 freezer bags. One of my bananas turned out to be completely rotten inside so I could only make six this time around. I always tend to over estimate how much fruit is needed per smoothie and then I can’t fit it all in the blender. So, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of each of the frozen fruits per bag. Then just pop them in the freezer until you’re ready to make a smoothie. They’ll stay good in the freezer for a couple of months. The bananas will slowly turn brown, but they’re still good eats for a while.

make smoothieWhen you’re ready to make a smoothie, just put the frozen fruit in a blender with some liquid (and whatever else you want) and you’re ready to blend. I add spinach for the nutrients, not the flavor… you can’t taste it with all of the fruit. It blends easier if the spinach is at the bottom.

vanilla silkDon’t get me wrong, I LOVE milk… but in my smoothies I like light vanilla soy milk. It just has more creaminess than milk and the vanilla goes great with the fruit. In the old days, before Silk was everywhere, I used milk and added vanilla extract. So, that’s an option too.

flax and cinnamonI like to add some flax for fiber and omega-3s, and cinnamon just because I like it :) If I’m craving something sweet, I’ll add a tablespoon of honey or so, but usually the fruit and silk are sweet enough for me.

blendBlend that sucker up ’till it’s nice and smooth! Sometimes I have to add a touch of water or more silk just to get it going. That’s what will happen if you have too much frozen fruit in your pack. It’ll be waaaaaay too thick to blend properly.

blended smoothieOh yums. It’s good. And good for you. And spinach? What spinach?

I loved the suggestion to put avocados in smoothies (thanks, Brent!) and I can’t wait to experiment with that. So, for all of you smoothie lovers out there…

What is your favorite smoothie combo?

1. That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the
    blogosphere. Short but very precise info… Appreciate your
    sharing this one. A must read post!

2. Myan says:

I added a quarter of an avocado and about 3/4 of a cup of skim milk. It came out ridiculously delicious!

3. Maggie says:

Does anyone know how many calories and grams of protein are in these smoothies?

4. janis says:

I have also learned you can buy the large bags of spinach (or other greens) and blend them up — add a little water and pour them into ice cube trays. Freeze over night then pop out and add to the bags. My kids call them power pellets and don’t even question me adding something “green” to their smoothies. :)

5. cgibson says:

You can find flax seed at the grocery store, walmart or target-just about anywhere. I use hemp seeds instead of flax seeds, its suppose to be a little bit better for you. I ordered mine online on amazon and had it in two days because I have amazon prime. Hope that helps.

6. Where do you find “Ground Flax Seed”? I was doing some shopping today, and Smoothies are one of those things I make almost daily for breakfast. I went to my local ‘health food’ market (actually several of them), found “Flax Seed Meal”, but that didn’t look right.

• Yep, ground flaxseed and flaxseed meal are the same thing. :) The size of the grind might vary from brand to brand, but it’s the same thing.

7. Cheryl says:

I love the idea of separating and freezing the ingredients into packs. Thank you!

My favorite smoothie is a PB2 & Banana. It allows me to get in a ton of protein along with my fruit at breakfast or as an in between meals snack. (I eat 5 times a day.) I also like it because there’s no added sugars (natural or other) and no dairy either.

3/4 cup ice
    1 banana, frozen
    2 Tablespoons of PB2
    2 scoops of Isopure Banana Cream Protein Powder (or vanilla flavored)
    3/4 cups water

This makes one 16 ounce smoothie.

8. seaward says:

I went to a public restaurant supply store today like one of your comments suggested. I got a HUGE bag of fresh spinach (2.5lbs!) for 5 freaking dollars, and a 5lb bag of mixed frozen fruit for $10.
    Holy. Mother.
    The entire first half of 2014 is gonna be smoothies.

9. Laurie says:

My smoothie is similar to yours. I use strawberries, blueberries, sometimes if I have them I’ll also add raspberries and blackberries. I also do the half of a banana and half an apple. I also add chia seeds or ground flax seeds, cinnamon, raw honey and kale or spinach. I add 1/4C. Of The Ultimate Meal for the extra protein and water. I don’t do dairy or soy.
    What I’d like to know is what kind of blender do you use? Mine is about ready to die and I need a heavy duty one.

• I actually use a really cheap (about $13) single serve blender… I think it’s made by Hamilton Beach.

• Mary says:

Please note, if your blender isn’t strong enough, use your food processor! It chops right through the frozen solids.

10. Thank you for this. I have issues with food, especially breakfast. I’m not sure what it is about breakfast, but I have to force myself to eat. I’m getting better at eating regular meals, but even on my best days I only get lunch and dinner, usually at obscure times, but im getting there. i bought a blender on a whim the other day and decided to give these a try. I made them up last night and I just had my first one for breakfast: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, banana, some spinach, flackseed, cinnamon, some oats and coconut milk. I’m still drinking it, but it tastes good and I can definitely see myself having these most days. I’m even thinking about making some smaller ones to have before my ballet classes.
    I’m allergic to forms of animal dairy And tried some oat milk breakfast drinks Recently but couldnt finish one. i guess i have an aversion to dairy type drinks even though oat milk is safe for me. Tomorrow I will leave out the oats and coconut milk and sub in my breakfast drinks and see how that goes.
    Thank you so much for this. It’s such a simple, common sense idea but I think it’s really going to help me get on top of my eating and get healthier.

11. Michelle says:

This is a wonderful idea for me to get in more fruit to my diet! I was wondering, though, can I substitute the milk for nonfat yogurt and how much??

• You can use anywhere from a half cup to a cup, but you might need to add some water or other liquid to help it blend. Yogurt only may make it too thick.

12. Kate says:

I put spinach straight in the freezer without blending it into cubes or anything and it turns out exactly the same in a smoothie. Great way to use bulk spinach without it going bad. I would think it would work great in the smoothie packs. Thanks for the great idea!

13. Great idea! I am passing this on to my brother who is starting to drink healthy smoothies! Thanks!! :)

Just some FYI, Soy is very bad for people with thyroid conditions and actually simulates estrogen in the body. It’s not recommend to give to children and can promote precocious puberty in children. Thought I would throw this in there for those who don’t know.

15. Best smoothie ever:
    1 frozen banana
    1 chopped apple
    giant scoop of crunchy peanut butter
    add some water as needed usually about 2 cups