pumpkin smoothie

$1.27 each

You do know that everything made between October 1st and 31st has to be pumpkin flavored, right?

Good, now that we’ve cleared that up…

I’ve been loving smoothies lately. They fill me up, kill my sweet tooth, and I can sneak in things like flax or spinach without my taste buds even noticing.

Well, the other day my taste buds actually *did* detect the ground flax seed in my fruit smoothie, but it almost tasted like graham crackers… which reminded me of graham cracker crusts… which reminded me of pies… which made me think of pumpkin pie. You following? Anyway, the ground flax really adds a pie element to the smoothie, so I wouldn’t suggest skipping it.

My local grocery store was out of that wonderful $1/can generic pumpkin puree, so the cost of this smoothie reflects pumpkin prices that are more like what the rest of you are seeing ($1.69 per 15 oz. can). You can get about four smoothies out of each can. Just transfer the left over puree to a resealable container and it will stay good in your fridge all week and be ready when you need it for more smoothies!

Oh yeah, one more thing. The banana has to be frozen. Frozen bananas are what give smoothies their wonderful ice cream/milk shake like texture. I usually peel and freeze 3 or 4 bananas at a time (each broken in half). Then, I use 1/2 to a whole banana per smoothie. The bananas will brown slowly in the freezer, so try to use them within a week or two.

Pumpkin Smoothie

Pumpkin Smoothie

Recipe makes a larger serving than what is pictured here.

pumpkin smoothie

Total Cost: $1.27 each
  • ⅓ cup pumpkin puree $0.42
  • 1 medium banana (frozen) $0.22
  • 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed $0.03
  • 1 Tbsp honey $0.12
  • ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice $0.05
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk $0.41
  1. Add everything to a blender.
  2. Blend until smooth. You may need to stop to stir once or twice. If the smoothie is too thick, add a touch more soy milk or even a little water.

pumpkin smoothie

ingredients in blenderPut all of the ingredients in the blender. That’s pumpkin puree, a frozen banana, honey, ground flax seed, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and soy milk. I like to pour in the soy milk last, it just makes everything easier.

pumpkin pureeSave the rest of the pumpkin puree in a resealable container. It will stay good in the fridge for about a week… and trust me, you *will* want to make another one.

soy milkPour the soy milk in last. I used vanilla flavored soy milk. If you have plain, you’ll want to add a little vanilla extract.

ready to blendNow it’s ready to blend. I bought this little single serve blender a few years ago and it’s been working nicely for me ever since. For about $15 (mine was $13), it’s worth not having to haul out the huge blender every time I want to make one serving. Plus, the blender part doubles as a cup.

blended pumpkin smoothieBlend it up good until it’s completely smooth. Then drink it immediately!

pumpkin smoothieIt’s thick, delicious, and so pumpkiny! October is the best month of the year. Hands down.

1. Alicia says:

I used some Allspice instead of pumpkin spice….end result was delicious! The vanilla soymilk is key though.

2. Brigitte says:

I use real, cooked pumpkin for it (instead of canned) and it is downright my favourite smoothie! What a terrific use of pumpkin!

3. Hayley says:

This sounds amazing! I have a can of pumpkin puree just waiting to be used, but do you have any ideas for substitutions for bananas? I’m allergic and have a hard time getting the same “meatiness” in a smoothie without them. I may put some almond butter in to bulk it up, but I’m trying to think of other ingredients.

4. Shayna says:

Where does one get pumpkin pie spice? iv’e looked at bulk stores and grocery stores.. can’t find it anywhere!

5. skye says:

Loves it!

6. Nicole says:

I wanted to make this for dessert tonight but I am completely out of milk! If I substitute water will it be too thin??

• Yeah, I think you really need the milk to make it nice and creamy. But hey, maybe I’m wrong! You never really know until you try…

7. Ginny says:

I love this, but I’m wondering what I could replace the flax seeds with. The last time I drank a smoothie containing flax seeds..we’ll just leave it at I don’t think my GI track is a fan. :\

This was absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

9. Today I made this with an addition of about 1/2 c. of cottage cheese. Holy moly, was that a great idea! It made it unbelievably creamy and filling, and the cottage cheese adds extra protein to keep you full longer. It almost tasted like a pumpkin cheesecake!

10. LeAmbre – I bet it would be good with sweet potato! After all, people make sweet potato pies just like they make pumpkin pies and they’re delicious!

11. I am totally going to try this.. But i want to try Sweet Potatoe! Think that would be as tasty?

12. Becky – It’s this one from Hamilton Beach… I’ve had it for about 3-4 years and love it! Very inexpensive but effective.

13. So, what kind of blender is this? I am now intrigued…

14. drinking one of these now…amazing!

15. I’m obsessed with this. I’ve made it like 5 times this week, and I’ll be making more since I roasted an entire pumpkin and yielded 14 cups of puree. For $4.99. =]

16. I’ve been making this all week >.<
    I can attest that the flax and *frozen* banana are key (for pie-like taste and consistency to be spot on)
    I would suggest though, if you’re using regular milk instead of Soy, that you use a little less milk. I keep 2% in the house, and I found that somewhere between 1/2 a cup and 2/3 was just right for me.
    Also, I got lazy with measuring out the spices and honey this weekend ;p and I added in a tablespoon of Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter instead. Oh.mah.gawd. Yums!

17. I wonder what would happen if I added some coffee ice cubes… I love pumpkin spice frappacinos. If I could make a cheaper and healthier substitute at home I would be just thrilled.. Thanks for the great idea!

I’ve made this before with a little vanilla yogurt added as well and its awesome! It just makes it that much more creamy and healthy :)

19. That’s a tough one, Lacey! Banana’s have a totally unique texture when frozen… you can experiment with freezing the pumpkin puree (maybe in an ice cube tray?) but I’m not sure if it will be too hard to blend after that. Other than that, I don’t know! I highly suggest trying the banana’s though, you can’t really taste them in this one!

20. Lacey says:

I love this but I HATE bananas. Are there any substitutes?

21. This was money! I threw in some whey protein (instead of the flax seed) and used it as my post-workout drink today. Another great recipe, Beth. Keep ‘em coming!

22. This is good, and really filling. I used vanilla almond milk and I can’t do flax (too strong on my system), but the flavor is still fine without it. Now I want to try Brent’s idea for a cheesecake-flavored smoothie too!

23. I am SO making this soon! We have smoothies nearly every morning and this will be a lovely change – healthy too. So glad you shared! I saw this at Grandma Loy’s Kitchen “Friday Finds”. I’ll be back. I understand the obsession with pumpkin for sure! I’m sure I’ve been dreaming about it. =)

24. India says:

Oh my! There are so many reasons to have a pumpkin smoothie. Thanks!

learn about diabetes

25. I am so glad I found this blog!! Love your posts and this recipe looks SOOOOO good:)

26. I love the idea of this! Pumpkin anything makes me smile.

27. Pumpkin pie spice is just a pre-blended mix of spices that you most definitely could add individually :) It basically has cinnamon, allspice, clove, ginger, nutmeg… things like that. Here is a link to one recipe, although I’m sure there are many: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-pie-spice-i/detail.aspx

You could just add a pinch of any of the above and disregard amounts/ratios and I’m sure it would still taste good!

28. I saw this picture and was instantly hooked! I love just about anything with pumpkin and this smoothie looks awesome!

You mention graham crackers which I’ll probably use instead of the flax seed. I’ve added graham cracker crumbs before to my strawberry smoothies. With some light cream cheese and a little lemon juice they end up tasting like a strawberry cheesecake.

29. For non-North Americans, what’s in pumpkin pie spice? Is there an easy substitute? We don’t get canned pumpkin either so it’d all have to be manual.

30. Meagan – it’s not *super* sweet… The soy milk ads a touch of sweetness in addition to the honey. If you want a super sweet smoothie, try adding some brown sugar. That will make it taste more pie like!

31. Is this recipe sweet? Is 1 Tbsp of honey really enough to boost the sweetness factor? I would want my smoothie like pumpkin pie tasting… :)

32. Ohhh, MayMay, almond butter is an excellent idea! It kind of has that same sort of flavor graham-like flavor!

33. MayMay says:

Carys, almond milk will absolutley taste great, it’s what I always put in my smoothies–I hate the taste of cow’s milk in smoothies.

This looks so yummy I’m going to try it in a couple days. I’ve been wondering if pumpkin would make a good smoothie but was too afraid to try it! I don’t keep flax seed around, do you think a little almond butter would taste good instead?

34. Hurray!!. Definitely making this with vanilla almond milk tonight after class! Thanks so much!

35. Carys says:

This looks delicious! Sara and Matt I would think that Almond Milk would taste good in this instead of soy. I don’t drink soy so I’m planning to try it with regular milk and also with Almond Milk when I get around to making some.

36. Anon – yes, it’s dairy free!

Sara and Matt – you can use regular milk but you’ll want to add a little vanilla extract, maybe 1/4 tsp.

37. What would you suggest I replace the soy milk with?

YAY! It’s non-dairy! :) [unless there is something in the pumpkin I missed]
    THANKS!

39. WOW. I’m so trying this SOON!

And, spot on about frozen bananas. Chucklehead smoothie makers (even restaurants) who use ice cubes have it all wrong. Ice cubes RUIN smoothies. Freeze the fruit! :)

~Dan