Pizzadillas

$9.22 recipe / $1.54 each

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I’ve been BUSY lately. So, when I finally got a day off, I wanted something quick, delicious, and satisfying. I had not been meeting my quesadilla quota lately but I was kinda craving pizza… so I decided to have both!

These pizzadillas would be a really fun snack for a kids party. Put the ingredients, or “toppings”, out and let the kids build their own pizzadillas. Then just crisp them up in the skillet, slice them, and let the kids dip the wedges in the sauce! I have to admit… I feel kind of giddy like a kid when I’m eating them too :P

I chose “supreme” like toppings but you could do anything. Make it vegetarian, greek, pepperoni-lovers, cheap, expensive, whatever. Keep the toppings prepped and in resealable containers in the fridge and then just build the pizzadillas fresh each time. They only take about 5-7 minutes in the skillet!

Also, the “toppings” make excellent toppings for salads, so if they’re already prepped in your fridge…

Pizzadillas

Pizzadillas

pizzadillas

• 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas $1.34
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella $1.75
  • 30 (approx.) pepperoni slices $1.38
  • 1 med. bell pepper $0.99
  • ½ med. red onion $0.42
  • 1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives $1.29
  • 1 small can mushrooms $0.85
  • ½ batch thick & rich pizza sauce $1.20
  1. Prep the ingredients by thinly slicing the vegetables and draining the olives and mushrooms.
  2. For each pizzadilla: Measure ⅓ cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle half of the cheese over one half of the tortilla, add toppings and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the toppings.
  3. Place the pizzadilla in a prewarmed skillet (medium heat) and cook until brown and crispy on the bottom. Carefully flip the pizzadilla over and cook until brown and crispy on the second side. Once both sides are crisp and the cheese is melted inside, slice into thirds with a pizza cutter. Dip in the pizza sauce prior to eating.

pizzadillas

pizzadilla toppingsThese are the toppings I chose for my pizzadillas. I used about 1/3 of the pack of pepperoni (or 4-5 each) and the rest can be frozen. Even though the cans of olives and mushrooms are small, there is enough for 6 pizzadillas. Remember, the more toppings you have, the less you’ll need of each one.

prepped toppingsPrep all of the ingredients by slicing the fresh vegetables very thin and draining the canned olives and mushrooms. If the vegetables are cut too thick, it will be hard for the pizzadilla to stay together.

cheese is glueThe cheese is the glue that holds the toppings in the pizzadilla, so you’ll want half on bottom and half on top. You’ll only need about 1/3 cup for each pizzadilla.

toppingsPlace the toppings on the cheese.

finish with cheeseAnd sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

crispFold the empty side of the tortilla over the toppings and place in a pre-warmed skillet. If you’re using a non-stick skillet, you don’t need any non-stick spray but you can use it if you want an extra crispy exterior. Brown on each side.

sliceSlice the pizzadilla into three wedges with a pizza cutter.

dip in pizza sauceDip that wedge of pizza goodness into some thick & rich pizza sauce!

pizzadillaOh, yeah! Comfort food to the max!

Side Note:

The price of cheese is kind of out of control right now so I sprung for a big 2 lb. bag of shredded mozz. The regular 8 oz. (2 cup) bags were almost $3 a pop but this bag was $6.99 and is equal to four of the smaller.

big bag of cheese

I split the bag into four smaller zip lock bags, 2 cups each. I used one portion for the pizzadillas and the other three will be frozen. YES! You can freeze cheese! :D

freeze cheese

link

1. Stacy says:

So, I made these Friday night and they were a HIT! We had planned on going out for pizza ($30 a pop with our 5), and I somehow stumbled upon this blog and THIS recipe. I had everything on hand, it was simple to make, everyone loved them (create your own), and they saved me $30 we didn’t really have anyway! Why did I never think of this!? THANK YOU so much for making your recipes readily available! By the way, I’ve already filled up the rest of this month’s dinner calendar with your recipes. I’m SO pleased I’ve found your blog!

2. Leah Szczepanski says:

My boyfriend and I made these the other day and they were great and simple. I’ve always been a fan of quesadillas but I was getting tired of the usual cheese and beans, so these were great. We used shredded mozzarella and turkey pepperoni and I also put bell pepper and green onions on mine. We both dipped them in a jar of pizza sauce. Both my boyfriend and I thought they tasted like mozzarella sticks, probably because of the crunchiness of the quesadilla and the excess of cheese that we used, but that was fine by us! Thanks again for another delicious recipe.

3. Hey Beth!

Thanks for the great inspiration about pizzadillas! I have been making them since last year after seeing your brilliant idea. I even ventured out to make my own recipe. You can literally put anything in these babies! I love your site & have been following it for some time noe, keep up the great blogging, sista!

-Katy

4. Thank you so much for this great recipe! (found via Pinterest) I reviewed it on my blog today :-) It was a huge hit at our house!

5. Thank you Beth for such a brilliant recipe! I tried it tonight and was very impressed! I shared your link on my blog to all my visitors. =) http://www.priscillaliang.com/2012/10/pizzadillas/

When thawing frozen cheese,let it come back to room temperature,and the texture will smooth.

7. Amandie says:

Okay, so I made this for dinner and oh my, was it delish!! I was close to the recipe above except yellow onions instead of red and I kinda overstuffed it since I had smaller tortillas. My dipping sauce was a mixture of tomato paste/water with hickory smoke BBQ sauce and 1-2 diced chipotle peppers canned in abodo sauce. Of course, a lot sriracha sauce on top of the ‘dillas but I think next time I will just mix the sriracha in with the dipping sauce. I just really wish I had a beer or two to go with dinner…

8. Amandie says:

I feel ridiculous for not even thinking of making them as quesadillas because I usually just use the tortillas as the crust for pizzas then bake them. This way is easier and great for summer so you don’t have to turn on the oven to bake it! Thank you so much!!

Omg. These are so GOOD! I’m a vegetarian so I did Tofurky pepperoni, shredded organic cheddar cheese, shredded carrots, olives and spinach. Dipping the slices in marinara sauce was heavenly. Easy clean up and cheap! So much faster than making home made pizza. Definitely a keeper!!
    -Mehgan

10. Anna says:

I made one of these while waiting for my pasta to cook last night after the gym. In the process I finally worked out how to use gluten free wraps without them cracking – warm them up in the microwave. Only problem is that they cool down really quickly so you have to assemble really quick. I’m usually dairy free but I decided to trial some dairy to have these and it went well. woo

The first one i made I put sauce on it, but that got really messy, so when I tried again I did the slice and dip. YUMMY!

It’s so dangerous knowing how to make these

Thanks so much! we tried these for the first time tonight, and everyone loved them.

My family LOVES these. Such a great idea!

13. Just made this yummy delicious recipe. It’s so easy to make and a perfect dish for watching the Saints game. Thanks Beth! And geaux Saints!

14. I eat a lot of pizza, and the ease of making pizzadillas has skyrocketed my usual amount of pizza intake. Yum.

15. now, why didn’t I think of that? LOVE this!!

16. candice says:

I made this the other day and instead I used the flour shells you bloged on how to make and my roommates love pizza and so I made this for them and then I had to make it for them the next three days in a row! They are so yummy and so good! And so easy!

17. Made these for dinner, I used to make these as wraps using the same process, but this was a nice change up :D

what a great idea! I made them tonight and they were amazing!

I don’t know why I’ve never thought of this before. I just made it and I love it!

20. Interestingly, I started making something like this several weeks ago. It’s no pizzalicious but it’s delicious regardless:

Tortilla with a thin layer of cream cheese topped with hot pepper jack cheese, hard salami, a couple of sliced of honey ham, and another layer of the cheese (all on just half the tortilla), and slap it on a skillet.

It’s ultra delicious and creamy.

21. These look DELICIOUS! This is a great recipe filled with ingredients I typically have on hand, can’t wait to try it! I frequently make PB&J quesadillas, the warm and melty peanut butter with sweet jam is to die for.

22. I did not know you could freeze cheese, and this recipe looks delicious and quick. Thanks!

23. Saw your post on Dishfolio. Love your site! My husband and I just started doing the Dave Ramsey thing, so I’ve been working to slash my weekly grocery budget. I love finding sites that give tips on how to save money and recipes that freeze well. I am all about keeping the deep freeze stocked!

24. This is such a cool idea! I love combining two favorites into one delicious recipe. For cheese, I find it’s cheaper to buy the big blocks and then to shred it myself. It’s good to know you can freeze cheese, but it never lasts that long in my fridge anyways.

25. I just popped a block of cheese in the freezer a couple of days ago – it is so darn expensive so when it’s on sale better, I stock up!

OveLoves

26. On the question of freezing cheese…this comes directly from Sargento’s website:

Q. Can I freeze cheese?

Yes, our shredded and sliced cheeses and natural cheese snacks can be frozen for up to two months. If you’ve already opened the package, be sure to press out as much air as possible before reclosing the package. Freezing and thawing may change the texture of the cheese, making it more crumbly.

Sargento Ricotta cheese can also be frozen for up to two months, but freezing may affect the texture of the cheese. If you freeze it, we suggest thawing it in the refrigerator. After thawing, you may find some liquid on top of the cheese. Just stir that liquid back into the cheese.

27. Costco normally has good deals on cheese. I buy and freeze it into more manageable portions. This recipe looks very yummy, I’ll have to try it!

Hi Beth, I am a fan of your post almost more than a year now and I like it very much for all of your posts. I have a question related to this post which is you are telling that “you can freeze cheese” however this is against all of my previous knowledge.So could you please help me to understand how you use freezed cheese? just take out the fridge and wait couple hours? or any other method?

cheers & thanks

29. Yummy! I remember eating “tortilla pizzas” as a kid, but with a more Mexican flair – a thin layer of salsa as the “sauce” and then black olives and cheddar cheese. Usually I stick them in the toaster oven to crisp up. :) I should try this variation though- mozzarella on tortillas is something I didn’t like back then but I should give it a try now. And that dipping sauce sounds fabulous!

30. This is brilliant! Now to try every type of pizza as a quesadilla….

31. My bestie Katie and I just agreed- this is the next thing we’re making!!!

32. Ooh…now this looks yummy!
    We are big big BIG pizza lovers in this house. I will give this a try!
    Thanks for sharing!

33. Yum! I used to make these all the time when I was poor and not eating bread, I called em pizza quesadillas but I guess pizzadilla makes more sense LOL