Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

$9.08 recipe / $0.91 each

I know it’s still only February but I am SO ready for Cinco de Mayo. So, in the spirit of yummy margaritas and Mexican food, I whipped up some enchiladas.

I could have done this all from scratch and made my own tortillas and enchilada sauce but I was in a bit of a hurry so I used store bought for both. If you want to make your own tortillas, here is a recipe (and here is a low fat recipe). If you want to make your own enchilada sauce, here is a recipe for that as well.

I was expecting a serving to be two enchiladas but they were actually quite filling so I thought one per serving to be most appropriate, especially if you’re serving any side dishes. I’m going to be eating some spicy black beans & tomatoes that I had in the freezer (here is a quick seasoned black bean recipe if you’re in a hurry) and probably some brown rice. If I had remembered, I would have gotten the ingredients to make this spanish rice.

These enchiladas freeze well so if you’re cooking for yourself, go ahead and freeze half of them for later. You’ll be glad you did!

Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

chorizo and sweet potato enchiladas

chorizo & sweet potato enchiladas

• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.06
  • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $0.82
  • 1 medium poblano pepper $0.46
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.14
  • 3 links (3/4 lb.) chorizo $2.80
  • 10 taco size tortillas $2.00
  • 1 (15 oz.) can enchilada sauce $1.49
  • 1½ cups shredded cheese $1.31
  1. Peel the sweet potato and cut into a half inch cubes. Remove the stem and seeds from the poblano and also dice into half inch pieces. Mince the garlic.
  2. In a large skillet, cook the sweet potato, poblano and garlic in vegetable oil, over medium heat until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes). Squeeze the chorizo out of it’s casing into the skillet. Break up the meat and cook until thoroughly browned (about 5 minutes).
  3. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Scoop about ¾ cup of the chorizo sweet potato filling into each tortilla. Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla up around the filling. Place the filled and rolled tortillas in the baking dish. They should fill the dish and fit tightly against each other to prevent unrolling.
  4. Pour the enchilada sauce over the the rolled tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until the edges begin to bubble (about 20 minutes). Serve hot.
Notes
Optional garnishes: green onion, cilantro, sour cream.

sweet potato poblanoStart with a medium sized sweet potato and poblano pepper. Peel and dice the sweet potato. Cut the poblano into a small dice as well. Mince a couple of cloves of garlic (not pictured).

cook veggiesThrow the diced veggies into a large skillet with some vegetable oil. Cook over medium heat until they begin to soften (5-10 minutes).

chorizoThis is the chorizo I bought. Chorizo is a spicy, Mexican (or Spanish) style pork sausage. I only used 3 of the 5 links here because I wanted an even mix of meat and veggies. The other two were frozen for later use.

add chorizoSqueeze the chorizo out of its casing into the skillet. Break the sausage up with your spatula as it cooks.

cooked enchilada fillingCook until the chorizo is fully browned. Chorizo can be kind of oily so if you’re concerned about the fat, cook the chorizo in a separate skillet and then drain off the fat before adding it to the sweet potato mix.

tortillasThese are the tortillas I used. You can use flour or corn, whichever you like. I used the soft taco size (large but not burrito size large). You’ll need about ten.

fill tortillasScoop some of the filling into each tortilla and then roll up. Fold in the ends so that the filling does not spill out.

naked enchiladasPlace all of the filled and rolled enchiladas in a baking dish that has been coated with non-stick spray. Make sure they’re in there very snug so that they don’t unroll.

enchilada sauceThis is the enchilada sauce that I used… I accidentally bought a huge can (26 ounces) but only needed about half. Pour the sauce all over the enchiladas, making sure that they’re all covered.

enchiladas ready to bakeSprinkle the shredded cheese over top and place it in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake until the sauce begins to bubble around the edges (about 20 minutes).

baked enchiladasAnd then when it comes out it will be all ooey, gooey and delicious! The enchilada sauce soaks into the tortillas making them all soft and tasty…

chorizo sweet potato enchiladasI had some green onions so I threw a few on top.

chorizo sweet potato enchiladas
YUM.

1. Jessica says:

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative to chorizo that would still capture the balance of flavors? I’ve looked in over 3 stores for it with no luck this time around! (Unfortunately, because it’s one of my favs..)

• If you can get some plain ground pork, you can add spices to it to make your own chorizo. :D Here is one recipe, although I’m sure there are many more out there.

2. Anna says:

We tried this last night and it was delicious! The last time I tried chorizo I HATED it. But I think I have to blame the brand…we had a different brand in our enchiladas and it was really tasty. So I went into this dish being very apprehensive but I wasn’t disappointed. Thank you!!

3. Katey says:

These are probably my favorite thing I have made from your site. I shred the sweet potato in the food processor so they soften quicker. (Also husband is picky about texture). I often don’t use the red sauce or just a little because I love the filling so much!! Thanks for this recipe!!

4. OK. So i hate when ppl change the recipe and then rate it. But…i only had a green bell pepper so i used that instead of the poblano. i am very familiar with the flavor of poblano and i know for SURE that having a poblano instead of a green bell would have made taken this over the top. this is so good, so simple. so so so good. i also made it with your red enchilada sauce. i’m pretty sure i busted my husband drinking the sauce in the kitchen. these enchiladas were the first time ever that my husband actually packed his leftovers for lunch and was excited to eat the whole thing 2 more times. i will be making this again EXACTLY how its written. i trust you grrrl. thank you so much for this recipe!

5. Kristin says:

I’ve made this recipe several times and love it! Your website is amazing. Tonight I made it lazy style. I threw yams, pasilla pepper (California name for poblano I learned today), garlic, and olive oil in a baking pan and into a 400° oven. I stirred it periodically, then added chorizo and baked until done. Put it in a bowl, then layered corn tortillas, mixture, corn tortillas, the rest of the mixture, sauce, and topped with cheese. Back in the oven for 10 minutes and done! It’s a hit in my house and I often serve it when out of towners visit. Keep up the great work!

6. These things are awesome. I made the Sat night and I cant stop thinking about them. I even made your enchilada sauce instead of buying a can. Perfect.

I cant wait to try out some more of your recipes! Thanks a bunch!

7. Christine says:

I wonder if this would work with corn tortillas. Growing up we made them with corn. I never knew you could make them with flour tortillas.

8. macfadden says:

I made these and they went over quite well with the dinner crowd. For a vegetarian version, I substituted 12 oz. Trader Joe’s soyrizo (recently reformulated and very crumbly but tasty enough, I suppose) and some whole grain tortillas I like. This made enough for 9 tortillas with half a cup of the filling in each, which fit in a 9 x 11 pan with space for one more burrito.

Warning! Though poblanos aren’t hot, apparently at least some part of them still has enough capsaicin to make your fingers burn for hours. Take my word for it.

9. Laura says:

This recipe intrigued me, I’ve made a lot of enchiladas in my time, but never any with sweet potato. I grew up making enchiladas in my mothers kitchen, typically chicken and cheese with the green style sauce, so I thought I’d give these a go. The flavor was interesting, it definitely needed more chili powder as it wasn’t quite spicy enough for my taste, but the balance of sweet and spicy was really nice. The only part where the recipe broke down for me was the texture. The flour tortillas with sauce just are far too soggy for my taste. I ended up redoing this using the traditional corn tortillas which I quick fried in the pan (2 seconds in really hot oil), dipped in the enchilada sauce and then stuffed and rolled. I followed the remainder of your process, topping with the leftover sauce and baking in the oven. My husband and I both found them very enjoyable.

10. Sarah says:

Hi Beth! I first made this recipe in 2012, and I have made it many times since as my fiance always requests it. I live in Australia so have had to make some adaptations. I have never seen chili powder, enchilada sauce or poblano peppers, so I use a very reduced amount of chilli powder to make your enchilada sauce and I sub green capsicum for the pepper. The first time I made it it was soooo spicy as I didn’t know there was a difference between chili powder and chilli powder lol. Anyway each time I’ve made it it’s been better and better! Thanks for this awesome recipe

11. These are crazy good! My daughter and I ate them every meal until they were gone. She’s already requested it be put on the menu again! So, so good!!!

12. Danielle says:

You’re site is THE. BEST. There isn’t a recipe that I’ve tried that hasn’t been awesome. That being said, I’m sure this will be great too, but my corn tortillas broke and wouldn’t stay rolled (I think they were too small, but they were all I could find) so I torn them, put half on the bottom of the pan, then the filling, then another layer of tortillas, and the topping. I made your enchilada sauce, and used TJ’s soyrizo (we”ll have to wait and see if my meat-loving husband is any the wiser ;) ) I will come back to give feedback after dinner…they’re in the oven now!!

• Way to be innovative, there! That’s what cooking is all about :) I always have problems with corn tortillas, too. If you microwave them for a few seconds with a damp paper towel, that can help make them a bit more pliable, but sometimes they still crack.

13. made these last night (feliz cinco de mayo!) and they were DELISH. and so so so so soooo easy!!

14. It’s such a testament to your recipes that you’re still getting comments years later! Add mine to the mix: they were amazing! I was surprised by the lack of beans, and then surprised that I didn’t miss them. SO good.

15. Renee says:

I made these last night for the first time, using corn tortillas and your home made sauce. It was excellent! I liked the filling so much I could see just eating it by itself. Also, I browned the chorizo first, then took it out of the pan, but used the left over fat to saute the veggies, rather than add more veg oil. It worked great, and made me feel a bit better health wise.

16. Alyson says:

Tried this tonight and it got two thumbs up from the family. Even from my husband who is often suspicious of my culinary experimentation.

And with regard to freezing (something I plan on trying very soon), I would advise making up the enchiladas putting them in a pan, leave OFF the sauce and cheese and freeze the, that way. Then when you thaw, you add the sauce and cheese and throw in the oven. Doing it that way kind of keeps the “just thawed” taste away.

17. Wow another amazing looking recipe! I love mexican food but we always just stick to chicken with everything so it can get a bit boring.

Oh and pouring away the oil from the Chorizo?! Blasphemy!!! :)

18. Joanna says:

These are terrific! I had never had Chorizo before, and I can’t wait to use the extra to try another recipe. My veggies took quite a bit longer to soften. The sweet potatoes were still very raw after 10 minutes, that part of the process took more like 20 minutes. And the assembly was kind of a hassle. Next time, I’m going to just layer the tortillas and fillings like a mexican lasagna!

19. Amber says:

Hi. I bought so the ingredients for this, but could not for the life of me find Mexican chorizo. I went to a few grocery stores and even called a couple of butchers. I bought Portuguese style chorizo and plan on trying it. Do you think it will be okay?

Oh, and just bought your cookbook! Can’t wait to get it in the mail!

• Hmm, I’ve never had/seen Portuguese style chorizo. Is it a soft, raw type sausage or a cured sausage like salami? If it’s the raw type, it will work just fine. :)

20. Nicole says:

For anyone wanting a veggie version of this dish…I’ve made it twice, once as written and then again without the chorizo (because I realized I am NOT a chorizo person!!).

When I did it without the chorizo I just added an extra sweet potato, a handful of black beans and some taco seasoning. Everyone loved the chorizo version (except me!), but they all said that the vegetarian version was even better.

21. Lynnette S. says:

I made these tonight, and paired them with a mexican rice that I make. I loved them! Hubby was on the fence about the sweet potato….Curious to see what my culinary son says about them when he gets home.

• Lynnette S. says:

And my son didn’t like them either =( Well, let me rephrase that…they didn’t like the sweet potato. So, I am going to make them again with regular potato and maybe a little less pepper to offset for the lack of sweet? *sigh* they can be so difficult!

22. Anna says:

If i use beef instead of chorizo, will 1 lb make too much meat?? Thanks!

• It will just make more filling. But, be aware, chorizo has a lot of spices and seasonings that give this dish a lot of flavor. Plain ground beef definitely won’t taste the same.

• Anna says:

oh, i know, i was planning to season the ground beef with chorizo spice mix! thanks so much!