Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

$9.08 recipe / $0.91 each

I know it’s still only February but I am SO ready for Cinco de Mayo. So, in the spirit of yummy margaritas and Mexican food, I whipped up some enchiladas.

I could have done this all from scratch and made my own tortillas and enchilada sauce but I was in a bit of a hurry so I used store bought for both. If you want to make your own tortillas, here is a recipe (and here is a low fat recipe). If you want to make your own enchilada sauce, here is a recipe for that as well.

I was expecting a serving to be two enchiladas but they were actually quite filling so I thought one per serving to be most appropriate, especially if you’re serving any side dishes. I’m going to be eating some spicy black beans & tomatoes that I had in the freezer (here is a quick seasoned black bean recipe if you’re in a hurry) and probably some brown rice. If I had remembered, I would have gotten the ingredients to make this spanish rice.

These enchiladas freeze well so if you’re cooking for yourself, go ahead and freeze half of them for later. You’ll be glad you did!

Chorizo & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

chorizo and sweet potato enchiladas

chorizo & sweet potato enchiladas

• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.06
  • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $0.82
  • 1 medium poblano pepper $0.46
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.14
  • 3 links (3/4 lb.) chorizo $2.80
  • 10 taco size tortillas $2.00
  • 1 (15 oz.) can enchilada sauce $1.49
  • 1½ cups shredded cheese $1.31
  1. Peel the sweet potato and cut into a half inch cubes. Remove the stem and seeds from the poblano and also dice into half inch pieces. Mince the garlic.
  2. In a large skillet, cook the sweet potato, poblano and garlic in vegetable oil, over medium heat until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes). Squeeze the chorizo out of it’s casing into the skillet. Break up the meat and cook until thoroughly browned (about 5 minutes).
  3. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Scoop about ¾ cup of the chorizo sweet potato filling into each tortilla. Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla up around the filling. Place the filled and rolled tortillas in the baking dish. They should fill the dish and fit tightly against each other to prevent unrolling.
  4. Pour the enchilada sauce over the the rolled tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until the edges begin to bubble (about 20 minutes). Serve hot.
Notes
Optional garnishes: green onion, cilantro, sour cream.

sweet potato poblanoStart with a medium sized sweet potato and poblano pepper. Peel and dice the sweet potato. Cut the poblano into a small dice as well. Mince a couple of cloves of garlic (not pictured).

cook veggiesThrow the diced veggies into a large skillet with some vegetable oil. Cook over medium heat until they begin to soften (5-10 minutes).

chorizoThis is the chorizo I bought. Chorizo is a spicy, Mexican (or Spanish) style pork sausage. I only used 3 of the 5 links here because I wanted an even mix of meat and veggies. The other two were frozen for later use.

add chorizoSqueeze the chorizo out of its casing into the skillet. Break the sausage up with your spatula as it cooks.

cooked enchilada fillingCook until the chorizo is fully browned. Chorizo can be kind of oily so if you’re concerned about the fat, cook the chorizo in a separate skillet and then drain off the fat before adding it to the sweet potato mix.

tortillasThese are the tortillas I used. You can use flour or corn, whichever you like. I used the soft taco size (large but not burrito size large). You’ll need about ten.

fill tortillasScoop some of the filling into each tortilla and then roll up. Fold in the ends so that the filling does not spill out.

naked enchiladasPlace all of the filled and rolled enchiladas in a baking dish that has been coated with non-stick spray. Make sure they’re in there very snug so that they don’t unroll.

enchilada sauceThis is the enchilada sauce that I used… I accidentally bought a huge can (26 ounces) but only needed about half. Pour the sauce all over the enchiladas, making sure that they’re all covered.

enchiladas ready to bakeSprinkle the shredded cheese over top and place it in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake until the sauce begins to bubble around the edges (about 20 minutes).

baked enchiladasAnd then when it comes out it will be all ooey, gooey and delicious! The enchilada sauce soaks into the tortillas making them all soft and tasty…

chorizo sweet potato enchiladasI had some green onions so I threw a few on top.

chorizo sweet potato enchiladas
YUM.

1. Blythe says:

Really yummy but quite spicy, I wouldn’t add any extra spice to it. Never had chorizo before and I bought the expensive local stuff at the co-op as the local grocery store was out. This may have contributed to the heat. I think it also cut down on the grease.

2. Jenny says:

So I bought cooked chorizo because I did read the whole recipe. It was fine but added several minutes to my prep time because it’s really hard to get cooked sausage out of its casing. Maybe that wasn’t even necessary. Also my local market doesn’t carry poblano so I subbed serrano and it was delicious!

3. What do you think about substituting ground beef for chorize then adding extra flavours?

• Yes, you can definitely do that. If you google a recipe for chorizo, you can just add the same spices that you would to pork.

4. Hermeeee says:

I have made this so many times thank you soooo much!!! Also tried it with Trader Joes soy chorizo and mmmmmhmmm

5. You can get a vegetarian version of the chorizo at the grocery store..its called SOYRIZO and is delicious!

6. Sarah says:

I’ve made this a few times now and it is DELICIOUS. Now my husband’s ears perk up whenever I say I’m making this for dinner :) Perfect meal for a cold winter night! Might be my favorite from the cookbook!

7. Megan says:

I made these on Friday with the addition of olives and have been enjoying the delicious leftovers all weekend!

8. Matthew says:

Did you really use 3/4 cup of the filling in each enchilada? I know I am probably being too particular and should just eyeball it, but going with just under 2/3 cup per enchilada I was only able to fill 6 tortillas.

• Yep, about 3/4. Of course I didn’t meticulously measure each one. :) I measured the first one and eyeballed the rest to match.

9. Jessica says:

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative to chorizo that would still capture the balance of flavors? I’ve looked in over 3 stores for it with no luck this time around! (Unfortunately, because it’s one of my favs..)

• If you can get some plain ground pork, you can add spices to it to make your own chorizo. :D Here is one recipe, although I’m sure there are many more out there.

• If you don’t want all the grease of regular chorizo or would prefer to eat something that is not animal based, many stores carry soyrizo. It is very similar to chorizo but is soy based. Not as greasy and a good substitute for anything you’d use the regular stuff for.

10. Anna says:

We tried this last night and it was delicious! The last time I tried chorizo I HATED it. But I think I have to blame the brand…we had a different brand in our enchiladas and it was really tasty. So I went into this dish being very apprehensive but I wasn’t disappointed. Thank you!!

11. Katey says:

These are probably my favorite thing I have made from your site. I shred the sweet potato in the food processor so they soften quicker. (Also husband is picky about texture). I often don’t use the red sauce or just a little because I love the filling so much!! Thanks for this recipe!!

12. OK. So i hate when ppl change the recipe and then rate it. But…i only had a green bell pepper so i used that instead of the poblano. i am very familiar with the flavor of poblano and i know for SURE that having a poblano instead of a green bell would have made taken this over the top. this is so good, so simple. so so so good. i also made it with your red enchilada sauce. i’m pretty sure i busted my husband drinking the sauce in the kitchen. these enchiladas were the first time ever that my husband actually packed his leftovers for lunch and was excited to eat the whole thing 2 more times. i will be making this again EXACTLY how its written. i trust you grrrl. thank you so much for this recipe!

13. Kristin says:

I’ve made this recipe several times and love it! Your website is amazing. Tonight I made it lazy style. I threw yams, pasilla pepper (California name for poblano I learned today), garlic, and olive oil in a baking pan and into a 400° oven. I stirred it periodically, then added chorizo and baked until done. Put it in a bowl, then layered corn tortillas, mixture, corn tortillas, the rest of the mixture, sauce, and topped with cheese. Back in the oven for 10 minutes and done! It’s a hit in my house and I often serve it when out of towners visit. Keep up the great work!

14. These things are awesome. I made the Sat night and I cant stop thinking about them. I even made your enchilada sauce instead of buying a can. Perfect.

I cant wait to try out some more of your recipes! Thanks a bunch!

15. Christine says:

I wonder if this would work with corn tortillas. Growing up we made them with corn. I never knew you could make them with flour tortillas.

16. macfadden says:

I made these and they went over quite well with the dinner crowd. For a vegetarian version, I substituted 12 oz. Trader Joe’s soyrizo (recently reformulated and very crumbly but tasty enough, I suppose) and some whole grain tortillas I like. This made enough for 9 tortillas with half a cup of the filling in each, which fit in a 9 x 11 pan with space for one more burrito.

Warning! Though poblanos aren’t hot, apparently at least some part of them still has enough capsaicin to make your fingers burn for hours. Take my word for it.

17. Laura says:

This recipe intrigued me, I’ve made a lot of enchiladas in my time, but never any with sweet potato. I grew up making enchiladas in my mothers kitchen, typically chicken and cheese with the green style sauce, so I thought I’d give these a go. The flavor was interesting, it definitely needed more chili powder as it wasn’t quite spicy enough for my taste, but the balance of sweet and spicy was really nice. The only part where the recipe broke down for me was the texture. The flour tortillas with sauce just are far too soggy for my taste. I ended up redoing this using the traditional corn tortillas which I quick fried in the pan (2 seconds in really hot oil), dipped in the enchilada sauce and then stuffed and rolled. I followed the remainder of your process, topping with the leftover sauce and baking in the oven. My husband and I both found them very enjoyable.

18. Sarah says:

Hi Beth! I first made this recipe in 2012, and I have made it many times since as my fiance always requests it. I live in Australia so have had to make some adaptations. I have never seen chili powder, enchilada sauce or poblano peppers, so I use a very reduced amount of chilli powder to make your enchilada sauce and I sub green capsicum for the pepper. The first time I made it it was soooo spicy as I didn’t know there was a difference between chili powder and chilli powder lol. Anyway each time I’ve made it it’s been better and better! Thanks for this awesome recipe

19. These are crazy good! My daughter and I ate them every meal until they were gone. She’s already requested it be put on the menu again! So, so good!!!

20. Danielle says:

You’re site is THE. BEST. There isn’t a recipe that I’ve tried that hasn’t been awesome. That being said, I’m sure this will be great too, but my corn tortillas broke and wouldn’t stay rolled (I think they were too small, but they were all I could find) so I torn them, put half on the bottom of the pan, then the filling, then another layer of tortillas, and the topping. I made your enchilada sauce, and used TJ’s soyrizo (we”ll have to wait and see if my meat-loving husband is any the wiser ;) ) I will come back to give feedback after dinner…they’re in the oven now!!

• Way to be innovative, there! That’s what cooking is all about :) I always have problems with corn tortillas, too. If you microwave them for a few seconds with a damp paper towel, that can help make them a bit more pliable, but sometimes they still crack.

21. made these last night (feliz cinco de mayo!) and they were DELISH. and so so so so soooo easy!!

22. It’s such a testament to your recipes that you’re still getting comments years later! Add mine to the mix: they were amazing! I was surprised by the lack of beans, and then surprised that I didn’t miss them. SO good.

23. Renee says:

I made these last night for the first time, using corn tortillas and your home made sauce. It was excellent! I liked the filling so much I could see just eating it by itself. Also, I browned the chorizo first, then took it out of the pan, but used the left over fat to saute the veggies, rather than add more veg oil. It worked great, and made me feel a bit better health wise.

24. Alyson says:

Tried this tonight and it got two thumbs up from the family. Even from my husband who is often suspicious of my culinary experimentation.

And with regard to freezing (something I plan on trying very soon), I would advise making up the enchiladas putting them in a pan, leave OFF the sauce and cheese and freeze the, that way. Then when you thaw, you add the sauce and cheese and throw in the oven. Doing it that way kind of keeps the “just thawed” taste away.

25. Wow another amazing looking recipe! I love mexican food but we always just stick to chicken with everything so it can get a bit boring.

Oh and pouring away the oil from the Chorizo?! Blasphemy!!! :)

26. Joanna says:

These are terrific! I had never had Chorizo before, and I can’t wait to use the extra to try another recipe. My veggies took quite a bit longer to soften. The sweet potatoes were still very raw after 10 minutes, that part of the process took more like 20 minutes. And the assembly was kind of a hassle. Next time, I’m going to just layer the tortillas and fillings like a mexican lasagna!

27. Amber says:

Hi. I bought so the ingredients for this, but could not for the life of me find Mexican chorizo. I went to a few grocery stores and even called a couple of butchers. I bought Portuguese style chorizo and plan on trying it. Do you think it will be okay?

Oh, and just bought your cookbook! Can’t wait to get it in the mail!

• Hmm, I’ve never had/seen Portuguese style chorizo. Is it a soft, raw type sausage or a cured sausage like salami? If it’s the raw type, it will work just fine. :)

28. Nicole says:

For anyone wanting a veggie version of this dish…I’ve made it twice, once as written and then again without the chorizo (because I realized I am NOT a chorizo person!!).

When I did it without the chorizo I just added an extra sweet potato, a handful of black beans and some taco seasoning. Everyone loved the chorizo version (except me!), but they all said that the vegetarian version was even better.

29. Lynnette S. says:

I made these tonight, and paired them with a mexican rice that I make. I loved them! Hubby was on the fence about the sweet potato….Curious to see what my culinary son says about them when he gets home.

• Lynnette S. says:

And my son didn’t like them either =( Well, let me rephrase that…they didn’t like the sweet potato. So, I am going to make them again with regular potato and maybe a little less pepper to offset for the lack of sweet? *sigh* they can be so difficult!

30. Anna says:

If i use beef instead of chorizo, will 1 lb make too much meat?? Thanks!

• It will just make more filling. But, be aware, chorizo has a lot of spices and seasonings that give this dish a lot of flavor. Plain ground beef definitely won’t taste the same.

• Anna says:

oh, i know, i was planning to season the ground beef with chorizo spice mix! thanks so much!

31. Emily says:

So I know this recipe is SO OLD but I just made it and I had to share how AMAZING it turned out. I added onions, half a can of blackbeans and I didn’t have any peppers on hand so I drained a can of Rotel and used it.

IT WAS FANTASTIC. Oh my goodness. I don’t really enjoy sweet potatoes but I wanted to try it because of the reviews. And I’m so happy I did. I ate a few but I’m freezing the rest… so we’ll see how that works out because I’m dubious about the freezing but I don’t care.

Anyway, this is amazing. Thank you for the idea! The pairing of chorizo and sweet potatoes is perfection.

32. Katie says:

I make these almost once a week. My boyfriend and I love them. We even chose to celebrate our anniversary by making some–that’s how much we are obsessed with this recipe.

My only comment is that you should add 2 tsp of cacao powder to the ingredient list in your red enchilada recipe. You use it in the sauce for your black bean and avocado enchiladas, and it adds a wonderful depth of flavor. It deserves to be immortalized in your basic sauce recipe.

33. I love your site and have tried many of your recipes and this was my favorite so far! To make my enchiladas a little heartier I added a can of black beans (still budget friendly!) I also sprinkled mine with a little chopped cilantro because well, cilantro is very delicious. Thanks for the tasty recipes! Keep them coming!

34. oh my gosh… I printed this and veganized these last Thursday night for dinner… they were awesome. My son came by late Fri. night and ate the last 4. So I made another vegan batch last night. I have a vegan blog, would it be okay for me to post my vegan version on that blog??? I’ll give you full credit for the original recipe. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Glo

35. Jessi says:

oh. my. dog. i just made these and i want to marry them and have their babies. they are so delicious and so easy. i am a vegetarian, so I used soy chorizo (trader joe’s brand) and made no other changes. Seriously, these are amazing. AMAZING.

36. Taylor Smith says:

Thank you for this!!! My stomach is partying hardcore.

37. Bridgette says:

I made this tonight with frozen butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes (my wife and daughter both refuse to eat sweet potatoes, but love butternut squash…go figure) and it turned out AMAZING! Thanks so much for the delicious recipe!

38. Erin says:

These are by far my fiance’s most requested dinner. He loves these enchiladas! I like them too – great flavor!

39. Allyson says:

So good! It reheats nicely as well! Love the flavors! Thanks for a great recipe!

40. Looks so yummy! Wanted to let you know that I’m doing a round up of recipes that I can’t wait to try in the near future, and I’d like to include this one. I will be listing the name of your recipe, linked back to your site, as well as your site name. A photo will bein a collage format only, so that your picture cannot be “swiped” from my site. And there will be no information about the ingredients or recipe steps so that readers must come visit you if they want to know how to make it! This will go live on the 13th; please do let me know if you don’t want me to link to you for some reason. I hope it brings you a lot of traffic!

41. Jenn says:

I love your recipes, but I have to comment, as a Texan, and someone who lived on the Mexican border, please, please, PLEASE, STOP using flour tortillas in enchiladas. It’s just wrong. Corn is the traditional and best way to go. Flour tortillas get all soggy and gross, but corn holds up so well under the sauce.

• I LOVE how they get soggy with the enchilada sauce. ;) I’ve never been too concerned with being “authentic” I just make what tastes good to me. I figure if people want to use corn tortillas, they’re more than welcome to make the substitution.

42. Katrina says:

Amazing exactly how it is!!

43. Brandon says:

I’ve been meaning to try this recipe for a while. At first I was hesitant to because of mixing sweet potatoes and chorizo but I am sure glad I did. I made the sauce from the Black Bean & Avocado recipe to make it cheaper and I love that sauce. I didn’t have a poblano so I thew in a Serrano and a couple jalapenos. Plus, I felt that this didn’t have that much “stuff” so I added an onion and some black beans.

44. Nahinu Arredondo says:

Hi I was wondering if you could substitute the sweet potato with a regular potato and the flour tortillas with corn tortillas. Will it still tastes the same???

P.S I love your recipes!

• The sweet potato is definitely responsible for a lot of the flavor, so I wouldn’t sub regular potato for it. Corn tortillas, on the other hand, would be great. :)

45. Rachelle says:

I loved this, but it was a bit too spicy for my 4-yr-old. Next time, I’m going to use a regular sausage instead of chorizo and mole sauce instead of regular enchilada sauce.

46. Sandra says:

As a new cook I’m so happy I found your blog. It has great ideas, I love that I can follow alongside the pictures since I am hesitate about my skills and my family loves the flavor and variety of the recipes I find here. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    BTW my dad could not wait until this was out of the oven, he was eating the stuffing as I was wrapping :) I guess it was a huge success!

47. Caitlin T. says:

Beth, thank you so much for your blog! I love how much flavor and health you put into food, while keeping it affordable.

We made your refried beans, then tried this recipe with your enchilada sauce – Fantastic! I thought the sweet potato thing might be sort of weird, but it was awesome! Rich, spicy, savory, and just a hint of sweet. My boyfriend tried to claim them all for his lunches XD

48. My first budget-byte dinner ever! Made this last night and it was such a hit! I had a ton of the spicy Italian sausages from Costco in my freezer, so I used that instead. Also, finding enchilada sauce was near-impossible in Montreal, so I improvised with chili seasoning but still following the rest of the enchilada sauce recipe. So happy with the results! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

49. These look delicious and I think I have everything to make them. Can’t wait!!! Thanks!

50. A couple of things about this recipe: first, I used Tofurky (meatless) chorizo and it worked wonderfully. Second, I bought a bag of the pre-shredded coleslaw (on sale for $1) and mixed it with a little mayo and some lime juice, and it was a great accompaniment to the enchiladas. I ended up arranging each bite of enchilada so that a little of the coleslaw was included. It was an awesome cool/tangy contrast to the spiciness of the enchiladas (and of course I used your red enchliada sauce recipe)! Thanks for another great recipe!

These are NOT enchiladas, they are smothered burritos. And using canned enchilada sauce? Ugh. Nobody should ever use or recommend that stuff. It’s disgusting, not authentic, and tastes awful.

52. Tessa McQueen says:

Made these tonight and they were delicious!! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I’m going to add your blog to my reader. :)

53. Thank you so much for this recipe. You are single handedly helping a broke twentysomething eat delicious nutritious meals.

54. Jenna says:

I made this recipe with green enchilada sauce, spicy Italian sausage, and topped off the baked finished product with avocado slices and a dash of cumin. It’s delicious!

55. flour tortillas for enchiladas?? what kinda bastardized mexican food is this??

56. I know I am way late, but these are AMAZING. I used Trader Joe’s soy chorizo and a green pepper (had both on hand). I already want to make it again — and we still have 8 enchiladas as leftovers (I was able to fill 12 corn tortillas).

You know how good it is when you are eating while writing a review for it. Yes, its that yummy! Thank you for the wonderful,easy,cheap recipes!

Having a hard time imagining paring the sweet potatoes with enchilada sauce…but Dru lives his life for chorizo and he loves sweet potatoes more than anything so I’m going to have to make this in the near future. I can see the sweet potatoes being a great paring for chorizo so maybe I’ll love it. :)

Ashley

59. Just finished eating it! AMAZING!! I used Colombian sausage and my husband and I loved it. Thanks

These look fantastic! I’m going to try something similar for dinner tomorrow, but replace the chorizo with chicken and the flour tortillas with corn tortillas.

Your presentation is absolutely divine. We plan to adopt and foster more children and we need all the creative recipes we can get our hands on. Your step by step tutorials will help me so much in feeding hungry children in a snap. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :)

62. My pick eater son loved these! You have so many fantastic recipes, and I can’t wait to try more of them.

This recipe is THE BOMB!!!
    The entire family loved it! My 10 yr old had two servings and licked his plate clean!! I used thin corn tortillas, warmed in the microwave to make pliable. This was super easy and our new FAVORITE!!!!!

Omg, made these last night and they were amazing! I sautéed diced onion, added diced sweet pots, diced poblano & minced garlic. Once cooked I added chili powder, cumin, oregano, and I used soyrizo (vegetarian chorizo made outta soy) these were sooooo good! Thx

65. Breona Darr says:

I used organic ingredients, and it only increased my cost by about 3 or 4 dollars. That includes everything for homemade enchilada sauce too :)

I made this tonight using corn tortillas and since they don’t roll well unless dipped in hot oil, I layered it casserole-style instead. It turned out yummy. Oh, and I added a serranno pepper for a touch of heat. Thanks for the great recipe!
    Wendy

67. Lots of chorizo here due to the large Basque community in Idaho. I decided to morph your enchilada filling into a tamale pie. It smells divine right now. I did add a can of petit diced tomatoes with juice to the filling and a cheddar cornbread topping. Leftovers will be great for lunch. Love your blog. :)

68. Allie D says:

Made this last night with a few changes because I don’t eat sausage and didn’t have the right pepper.I did the following:
    Sweet potato, Red and green bell peppers, Chicken, garlic, cheese and enchilada sauce . Then for spice I used Red cayenne, red pepper flakes, chili spices, and a bit a cumin. (I love hot foods if you cant tell.) It turned out fantastic!
    Thank you so much for the recipe and ideas I love coming on here to learn more about cooking and trying different foods. I would have never of thought to use sweet potato like this if it wasn’t for you. Thanks and keep up the great work!

69. Your blog is excellent! I made this recipe last night and loved every last bite. I wrote all about it today in my blog. Pasta Puttanesca for dinner. Nervous about the anchovies but super excited at the same time.

Regards, Allisa

70. MicheleP says:

Outstanding! The spicy Chorizo and the sweet potoatoes are amazing together. I am so glad I made a double batch- one for tonight and one for the freezer; already looking forward to thawing it out and baking it up!

Made this twice. The first time, followed your recipe. The second time decided to “mix it up” a bit and used green chili enchilada sauce. Both were great but the green chili sauce took it to another dimension! Yum! thanks for a great recipe – never would have thought to mix chorizo with sweet potatoes…perfect !

72. I just made these and they’re AMAZING! Oh my goodness. I added an onion to the veggie mix, used turkey sausage mixed with chili powder, cumin powder, cayenne powder and a dash of cinnamon. Instead of flour tortillas, I used corn. I can’t believe how good they are! Thank you SOOO much for sharing.

These were SOOO good!

Michaela, Edm.AB.CAN

74. Ssaurus says:

i was a little confused when it said sweet potato, i went out and bought them, but looking at your pictures you used something else i think. Delicious though

75. Really delicious. Made this recipe with approximate ingredients, but otherwise followed the directions. Let me say that OMG, the sweet potatoes were a great idea.

76. I’ve always thought enchiladas would be time intensive and difficult but this recipe was easy, delicious, and now I have 5 servings in the freezer! I also made the red sauce you recommended- it’ll be hard to go back to the canned stuff at the store. Thank you thank you thank you!

77. I’ve commented on this post before, but I had to do it again. The first time I made these, i used field roast chipotle sausage and store-bought enchilada sauce, and the result was disappointing.

I had to try again though, and this time I made some different substitutions. I used soyrizo, half of a vidalia onion, and a small jalapeno (instead of a poblano) in the filling, i made my sauce from scratch, and used corn tortillas.

The result was AMAZING. Thank you, Beth, for posting these delicious recipes to give me ideas!

78. made these the other night for my husband and i. he loved them and i now crave them daily!

79. I made this for my husband who is a huge chorizo fan and he loved it! He said “feel free to make this again!” Thank you for the recipe and love your site!

80. James – I doubt you need an answer for this anymore but if you do Yves puts out a soy based chorizo that’s good. I find it frequently at the Grocery Outlet (a west coast chain of discount food stores). I can’t tell you if it tastes like regular chorizo because I’ve never had it. xD Soyrizo’s really good, though. :)

81. Made this and loved it! Great combo of a lil’ heat and sweet. Love this site so much. Thanks for your creative ideas and amazing recipes!

82. Cass says:

Made these last night for dinner. I must admit that I was a little hesitant of the combination of flavours upon first read but it worked out so well. They tasted delicious! I added some cumin & chili powder to the vegies while they frying & also added some pinto beans which stretched the mixture even further. Big tick of approval from me!

83. Thank you for the amazing recipe! I made it vegetarian with Field Roast Chipotle sausages & it was PHENOMENAL! I’m kicking my old enchilada recipe to the curb and replacing it with this one :)

84. Eddie says:

These were great! Impressed a date with them and fun to make

85. these were so delicious my husband and I loved them, he isnt even the biggest sweet potato fan and he love these! I cant wait to make them again!

86. I made these this weekend. Delicious! I doubled the recipe, but instead of adding an extra poblano pepper, I added a sweet red bell pepper. And also half a serrano pepper, for a little extra heat, which I enjoy. It was so good that me and my boyfriend ate pretty much the whole thing over the weekend, leaving only 2 remaining enchiladas for leftover lunch bags. Oh well. I’ll have to make it again soon. Thanks! This is my favorite cooking blog.

87. I just made these. Soooo good! Thanks for this great recipe <3

88. Made these tonight and LOVED them. My boyfriend had 4! Thank you so much!

89. I tried this recipe the other night and they are excellent!

I used fresh local made chorizo and locally made flour tortillas. Very good and easy to make. Thanks!

90. Trader Joe’s makes the best veggie chorizo, but there is also the Soyrizo brand if you don’t have a trader joes nearby. I personally am going to try these with the Field Roast brand Mexican chipotle sausages (vegan, i think).

I made these tonight and love them! Grocer was out of stock on chorizo so I used turkey sausage that I mixed with the ingredients that go into chorizo (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1927,158181-240202,00.html) and let it sit while I did the veggies. Absolutely two nomz up!

Not true. My Mexican Cookbook says you can make it with either Flour or Corn tortillas. And the real mexcican restraunts always serve my enchiladas with flour. I love corn for my tacos but never my enchiladas.

These look yummy. But, these are not enchiladas-they are more like burritos. Enchiladas are never made with flour tortillas- always made with corn tortillas.

94. These sound SO crazy good. Definitely gonna be one of next week’s dinners! =]

95. Made these last night…YUM. I love how the sweetness of the potatoes compliments the spicy of the chorizo. It’s amazing.

I’m going to try vegan-izing these! i’ve already saved the recipe to my online cookbook (http://cookmarked.com) and can’t stinkin wait. great work, Beth!

97. I couldn’t find chorizo at my grocery store, lame. I bought ground turkey with taco seasoning mixed in. They also didn’t have poblanos so I am trying cubanelles. Still came out amazing. thank you! Yum yum yum…oh, I also had fresh salsa and sour cream on the side :D

For a vegetarian substitute, there are plenty sold as “soyrizo” and they’re readily available at most grocery stores, often where the tofu is stocked. It crumbles quite well, and I’m looking forward to using it to make this recipe!

99. Beth, is there a way to bookmark ‘favorites’ or save the recipes i plan to make on this blog??? i always think about it as I’m going through but forget to write them down…Thanks!

100. “Yum” is right. I haven’t had chorizo since I was in Spain and that was over a year ago! I think I need to try it again and make this recipe!

101. James, I’m not very familiar with vegetarian meat substitutes but I would check out your local health food stores because I think that I have seen a vegan “chorizo” before.

Oh, look, this company makes one: http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=smartsausageschorizo (if it doesn’t crumble, just chop it up before cooking).

Or, if you want to make your own, there are quite a few recipes out there… I did a quick google search and a bunch came up :)

102. Beth, do you know of a vegetarian substitute for the chorizo that would work? That looks awesome!

• Aysha says:

Though I haven’t yet cooked this recipe myself, there are three soy based Chorizo products that I know of:

I’ve used the El Burrito brand and it was DELICIOUS. I put it in scrambled eggs and made breakfast burritos out of it after Whataburger got me obcessed with their chorizo taquitos. Hah!

I can tell you that the El Burrito brand had pretty much the same consistency as the real thing, but I’m not sure about the others because I’ve not tried them.

Hopefully this helps!

• Mindy says:

If you have a Trader Joes nearby, their soy chorizo is WONDERFUL. I’m a vegetarian and use it all the time.

I made this recipe and it was quite good, but I subbed corn tortillas for flour. Important, I think, because flour tortilla enchiladas tend to get gluey when baked in sauce . . . I’m surprised people liked it with flour tortilla, actually. I guess it depends on what kind of enchilada sauce you use.

103. I would do it after baking so that I can just warm up the frozen portions in the microwave. Since the filling is already cooked, the baking only really serves to warm everything through and allow the sauce to soak into the tortillas. So, you can really freeze before or after baking and it would be fine.

104. Beth, do you freeze before or after baking?