spinach lasagna roll ups

Here is another super easy dinner idea with endless possibilities for variation. I can’t exactly say that it’s a “quick” recipe because it does have to bake a while but the actual assembly is really quick and easy.

I filled my Lasagna Roll Ups with spinach and cheese but you could also do mushrooms, pesto, or any meat. You really can make this one your own.

Combine the roll ups with a classic salad and some quick garlic bread and you’ve got a stellar meal that has “date night” written all over it. If you don’t have a date, simply pop them into individual containers and freeze. When you’re ready for a serving just take one out and microwave until it’s cooked through. Take that, Marie Callender!

Spinach Lasagna Roll UpsSpinach Lasagna Roll ups

spinach lasagna roll ups

• 1 lb. lasagna noodles $1.69
  • 15 oz. ricotta $2.09
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella $1.18
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.24
  • 1 lg. egg $0.16
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach $1.09
  • 2½ cups marinara sauce $1.09
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.05
  1. Get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (soft but not soggy… about 12-15 minutes). When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.
  2. While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. Thaw the package of frozen spinach in the microwave and then squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, freshly grated pepper and about ¼ tsp of salt. Mix until well combined.
  3. When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
  4. On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time. Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge. The filling does not need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded. Make sure to spread it all the way to the edges of the noodles.
  5. Roll the noodles up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all of your filling is gone (there may be some noodles left over, these are “back ups” in case any of the others rip during assembly). Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces. The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.
  6. Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate.

spinach lasagna roll ups

spinach lasagna fillingBegin boiling water for the noodles. While you’re waiting for the water to boil, prepare the lasagna filling. Thaw and squeeze dry the spinach. I literally take the whole clump in both hands (clean hands!) and squeeze the living day lights out of it. Combine the “dry” spinach ina bowl with the egg, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, salt and pepper.

lasagna filling mixedMix it all up until it’s evenly combined.

boil noodlesBy this time the water is probably ready for the noodles (heavy boil). Add the noodles boil until soft but not mushy. Occasionally stir the noodles while they cook to prevent them from sticking to each other and the pot. Stir gently because torn noodles = not usable.

spread lasagna fillingOnce your noodles are cooked, drained and cool enough to handle, lay a few out on a clean surface. Spread a few tablespoons of filling over each noodle. The filling doesn’t have to be that thick because once they’re rolled up, it will be compounded and seem thicker.

roll upRoll ‘em on up. (preheat the oven to 400 degrees)

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups
Place the rolled up noodles in a baking dish coated in non-stick spray. I was able to get 14 roll ups from that amount of filling. The number of roll ups you get will depend on how thickly the filling is spread on the noodles.

cover in sauceCover the lasagna roll ups in marinara sauce, taking care to fully cover the noodles (this keeps them hydrated and soft). Cover the dish with aluminum foil (again to prevent drying during baking) and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups

1. CANNOT wait to make this!!!! Thanks for posting.

2. Yumm! I was going to make lasagna for dinner tomorrow but this looks so much prettier!

3. OMG THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT! My parents bought 2 bags of spinach and dont know what to do with it.

4. These look really good! I love the presentation of them. I have some left over vodka sauce from tonight and I bet it would be really good on top of the roll ups. Thanks for sharing!

5. newo83 says:

These look awesome!!!!!

6. Another awesome recipe. It is actually quite genius. I have been making a similar recipe with shell and manicotti, but always have trouble with the noodles ripping. I am definitely going to try this

• Tracy says:

Michael,
      Try using a pastry bag to fill your shells or manicotti noodles with…it works great.

7. I used to make these years ago. I only stopped because my son doesn’t like spinach or anything green for that matter. But he is older now and eats out with his friends a lot now. I need to make these again for my husband and me. They look delicious!

• danielle says:

my bro was the same way when me and mom and him use to go get tacos or something he would have a cow but i did not mind green stuff but i hated vegetables but now i love them so go figure

8. What a perfect solution for a quicky easy,meal! Spendid idea, and great presentation. The step by step photo’s are so helpful, as is the cost breakdown. Well done!

These look GREAT!! I have used some softened sliced eggplant before as the roll before as well!!

Do you have a good suggestion for a substitute for ricotta cheese? (i also dont like cottage cheese or sour cream) I would love to make lasagna with a good substitute.

Thanks, love your stuff!

• mamajuicy says:

I don’t care for ricotta or cottage cheese either. What I have done in he past is softened cream cheese, parmesan and romano and beat a egg in it. That’s my substitute for the cheese.

• Ashley says:

Try using cream cheese. I’ve used it in home made lasagna, its super yummy mixed with spinach.

11. Anon – There really isn’t anything similar to ricotta but I suppose you could just sub some more shredded cheese (like mozarella or swiss) or maybe even some cream cheese? I don’t know how it would work but it’s worth a shot!

12. Melanie ;-) says:

Yummy!

Made it last night, to much accolades :-)

I subbed in some Laughing Cow cheese(hubby hates ricotta, marscarpone, cottage cheese…picky bugger lol)and used some swiss chard and a touch of green jalapeno. If you have that cheese where you live it holds its shape a bit more than Philly but it does come in flavours or plain/light so you can have some fun with it.

Thanks Beth, leftovers heat up in a snap and I froze two portions for me if I have a busy solo night later this month.

13. My husband and I made this for dinner tonight, and it was fantastic. We used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and we also froze some. Thanks so much! We now have a new recipe to add into our dinner rotation!

14. wow this looks super yummy!

15. Kayla says:

You can always make your own ricotta…

so easy!

16. OMG i cannot actually wait to try this.
    this looks delicious! and at such a cheap price too :D

made it : http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrvjtod/5382564262/in/photostream/

just popped it in the oven to bake

Made it today for game day… it was delicious! Thanks for sharing with us.

19. any ideas for making it more flavorful? I think it’s because I used store-bought cheese and whole-wheat noodles, but mine was kind of bland. I added some oregano and basil. Maybe I should roast some garlic and add it to the filling?

Ideas are appreciated!

20. Sam – I was thinking about adding garlic powder in the cheese mix, that would definitely punch up the flavor. Also, you could add feta which is really strong and would really ramp it up. Plus, feta and spinach are just made for each other! Making sure you have a really good, flavorful sauce will also help.

21. Michelle says:

This was so good! I doubled the filling and added kalamata and black olives, halved. I will be making it again~think I will add eggplant next time. Oh~I also made the marinara sauce. Quick and easy. I just added a little salt and it was perfect. I also used some primo balsalmic vinegar. Made a difference.

22. Can you give any tips on how to freeze this recipe. It’s just my husband and me, so I’d like to freeze some of the leftovers. Thanks! I’m loving this site!

23. Lindsay – you can bake the whole thing then divide it up into individual containers (like ziplock or gladware), refrigerate until completely cooled then just toss it into the freezer. TThen just microwave to thaw/reheat. That’s what I did… OR, you can divide it up before baking, pour sauce over each in the containers and then freeze. Reheating from frozen will completely cook it so there is no need to bake them first if you’re just going to freeze the whole lot. Hope that helps :D

I made this yesterdays! I added chopped mushrooms and it turned out great! Unfortunately the tomato sauce I used on top wasn’t too awesome so it sort of ruined it .I will make it again though!

25. This is my favourite out of your January recipes. Because a) I had something similar a couple of weeks ago and b) because it looks and tastes absolutely wonderful.

26. I made these tonight, but had more spinach in it and substituted marscapone for the ricotta, based on what I had on hand. It was delicious none the less! I’m going to try it with other fillings to see what combinations taste as good :)

Thanks much

27. Ruth says:

Made these same night as fritters as per suggestion. These were wonderful and fairly easy to make just takes time. Like that they are so easily changed with different stuff. Loved that it was a meat free meal all around!

28. How do you make these as they are presented in the last photo? Your directions tell us to put the marinara sauce on before baking to ensure softness and hydration, but I want to know how to make them look as pretty as you have in your final photo.

How would you keep the noodle soft and hydrated and fully cooked without putting the marinara sauce on it until right before it’s served?

29. I took the picture before cooking just so it would be easier to see all of the ingredients :P You can try baking them in in foil packs and then pouring the sauce on later. Just tear off a large piece of foil, place two roll-ups on the foil, bring the sides up and fold it into an envelope to completely seal the foil packet. Bake as directed then pour warm sauce over top after baking.

30. Oh My, I have to make these! Something new and different to tantalize the palate with!

31. These look great! I was wondering how well they freeze if anyone has tried it, they would be a great make ahead meal if they freeze well!

32. I skimped on the marinara, and regretted it. A little dry, which is my own darn fault. When I reheated for lunch you better believe I drown those suckers in sauce. and they’re delicious :)

33. Thanks Beth!! I’m going to try that out, as well as the original!

34. Just added this to my list! But, what is the garnish you used when you plated it?

35. Jen – that was just some chopped parsley :) I almost always have parsley or cilantro in the fridge to add extra flavor and visual appeal to stuff. They’re only about 75 cents a bunch and last about a week before wilting!

36. This comment has been removed by the author.

37. Thanks! It looked so pretty!

By the way…I LOVE your cinnamon raisin bread. I make it at least twice a week. It’s been all over the FB world so you’re a rock star in my circle of friends.

Also, yesterday I had to put my sweet, sweet Shih Tzu down due to liver failure. We brought her home for the weekend. She was on the “anything you can get her to eat” diet, and the only thing she even wanted to try was a bit of your cinnamon raisin bread.

38. I love this recipe. I make it all of the time. Made it just tonight and used no boil lasagna noodles and added zucchini ribbons. And the sauce is my standard sauce these days. Love it, make it, freeze the extra, and love it again. Thanks so much for being such an inspiration and making such lovely food!

I have made these soooooo many time and everybody always lovvves them. Huge family favorite and soooo easy to make. I double everything to make enough for 6 of us.

40. Made these a few months ago! Absolutely delish…it was a great change of a dish. Thanks :)

This is fantastic! I made a couple of alterations: I used about two cups of mozzarella instead of one (just to use the whole block, as I had no more mozzarella-based dishes planned for this week), I doubled the spinach to make it a little healthier, and I added about a half cup of pesto to make it less healthy and super delicious.

I used your marinara recipe, which was also great. I think in the future, I’ll pour a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan so the rollups get tomato goodness on all sides.

I made a whole pan so I can freeze this for lunches. My coworkers always look disdainfully at their own TV dinners when I bring in leftovers of one of your recipes for lunch. Thanks for this one. It’s definitely a keeper!

42. I’ve made these at least 3 times already and we’re going to be making them again on Monday for my faux birthday (I’m not home for my birthday anymore. Sad)

It’s SO good and is one of my favorites from your blog!

43. Hi! I got 9 rolls out of the mixture I made, a far cry from the 14 you did. We’ll see how it goes, but do you happen to have any recommendations for what I could lay down on my counter to roll up the noodles, and how can I get the filling to go further next time? I tried smooshing it with a spatula, but I want to know how thin the layer of cheese should be.

Thanks! Your site’s gotten me to at least *attempt* cooking. Everything looks great!

44. MissMuse- I rolled mine up on a cutting board so that I could just wash it in the sink afterwards. The trick to the filling is to spread it thinner than you’d think. Because you’re rolling them up, you’ll have quite a few “layers” of the filling so you can spread it quite thin because it adds up once rolled. They’re more filling than they appear! Hope that helps :)

45. Thanks much! I’ll keep it in mind for next time!

46. does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace the spinach with? i hate spinach, but this looks delicious. let me know!

• Lindsay says:

I have been making this same dish for years. My family loves it! And I’ve tried many different variations! One of our faves is using shredded chicken and frozen chopped broccoli, along with the cheese mixture, and then topping with a jar of alfredo sauce! Soooo good!!!!

Will heating uncooked roll-ups in the microwave be enough to cook the egg fully?

48. Victoria says:

Hey!
    Someone posted this website on my Facebook, and I have to say your blog is GENIUS. Thank you so much for sharing all of your great recipes!

I made these lasanga roll ups last night for my boyfriend and I, and we LOVED them. The only thing I did different was I didn’t add any spinach because my boyfriend is not a fan =P, and I added some garlic powder to the ricotta/cheese/egg mixture. I didn’t have regular marinara in the pantry, So I used a sweet basil marinara and it was delicious!

Again, thank you so much! I am already looking for something else to try for the weekend! =)

49. Anon- Yes, you can but you’ll have to make sure you cook it a decent amount of time. It’s hard to say how long because every microwave heats at a different power. Just make sure the very center of the roll is very hot.

50. We had this for dinner tonight! So good.

I also sautéed half a yellow onion finely chopped, four cloves of garlic pressed and one finely grated carrot for extra healthiness. I added that to the cheese/egg/spinach filling. My recipe made 12 roll ups – I stuffed mine more than the recipe called for.

Have you used small curd cottage cheese instead of ricotta? Lacks a bit of the sweetness, but saves a good deal in cost because I’m more likely to find it on sale.
    Thank you for all your beautiful work. You’re inspiring!!
    -MochaDropMama

52. This is a brilliant recipe which I still enjoy eating. I always have a thing for lasagna. I love the cheese, the sauce and the overall taste. Thanks for sharing this. I’ll definitely make this at home.

53. This looks AMAZIIINGGGG! and Easy! i think my hubby will love it!

I am in need of assistance. We love this recipe and make it quite often, and I am making it for our family Christmas dinner. I would like to make it in advance, HOWEVER I am unsure on the details of this. Do I cook it, then freeze it then reheat in the oven. Do I assemble, freeze, then cook as normal? Any guidance would be greately appreciated.

55. I would assemble, then freeze. Then, let it thaw in the refrigerator for about 8 hours before cooking so that you don’t end up with a frozen center and cooked outer edges! Also, since it will still be quite a bit colder than if you just assembled and baked, the cooking time may need to be increased. Just make sure the center is really hot! I hope that helped :)

56. This was just a huge hit at my dinner party! I tweeked the recipe just a little though. Instead of using frozen spinach I bought fresh spinach and steamed it. I also added fresh basil and roasted garlic to the filling. I topped the sauce with cheese and garnished the finished dish with fresh chopped basil!!! It was wonderful! I also made one with a meat and marina sauce filling that was just as killer! Thank you!

57. I make something very similar. I cook mine in the crock pot for about 4 hours on low.

58. I make something very similar. I cook mine in the crock pot for about 4 hours on low.

59. Made this for dinner tonight. Was a hit with everyone but the youngest (course she doesn’t like anything but pb&j).

60. Andrea says:

Halved this recipe and made it for dinner tonight. Holy awesome. Thank you for such a yummy recipe :) I used fresh spinach instead of frozen, and a mixture of cottage cheese & cream cheese for the filling. Next time I might try silken tofu. Topped with a roasted tomato sauce made from tomatoes from the garden last summer :) Thank you!

Made these tonight and my hubby loved them! How long will they keep in freezer? Thanks for sharing!
    - Heather

62. Heather – I try not to keep anything longer than three months in the freezer because they start to dry out and get freezer burn.

I made this last night and my husband said it was out of this world! Very easy to make. Thank you! ~ Cheyenne

64. Christy W. says:

Too good! I made these last night — two different versions, actually — spinach mushroom for me, and pepperoni mushroom for my man. I added about a teaspoon of garlic powder to the cheese mixture and boy was this incredible. Definitely a keeper! Thank you for sharing this!

65. Jillian says:

I have a question about adding meat to this recipe – do I add it in to the marinara sauce or the cheese mixture inside the roll ups? Ps- LOVE your site!!

66. Jillian – You could actually do either! I would first brown the meat in a skillet and then stir it in to either the cheese filling or the red sauce. Browning it first eliminates the question of whether or not it’s cooked thoroughly and will reduce extra fat and juices that would make the roll-ups runny.

67. Jillian says:

I went with the meat on top in the red sauce, everyone in my family loved it!! And then I made your singapore noodles recipe the next night – another hit. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

68. I have made these twice now and they are so yummy! I had a jar of alfredo in the pantry so I poured half of that on the bottom then place my roll ups on top of that then poured the marinara sauce on top of them.

I just made these tonight…so tasty and there are plenty of leftovers for my hubby and I for lunch tomorrow! I will definitely try them again and add some other things to the cheese mixture for variety. Thanks!!

70. Have my second batch in the oven right now :) and I just realized I have 2 cans of black olives in my pantry aahhhh I should’ve thrown some in, but oh well!

These are great!!!! I didn’t make enough mixture though and only got 7 rolled noodles. So I made more and got like 15. For the cheeses I had parmesan and mozzarella. I subbed cream cheese for ricotta. I also added parsley flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano. WOW. It tasted like REAL lasagna. The kind of lasagna that you can’t eat because it’s so creamy and fattening. Oh man. Mine was a tad dry because I skimped on the sauce but I can’t wait to make this again. My husband demanded it be a regular dish :D

I dont like spinach…what meat could you use instead? Sausage or ground beef?

73. Anon – Italian sausage would be awesome.

would you mix that in with the cheese or just layer sausauge then cheese mixture

75. Well, make sure to brown the sausage first and then after that it probably wouldn’t matter if it’s mixed into the cheese or just sprinkled on before rolling up :) I guess mixing it in would make it easiest to make sure that it’s evenly distributed.

I just made these tonight. I added canned artichokes chopped up and used fresh baby spinach instead of frozen.It made 17 roll ups. Delish! Oh and I added some dried oregano and basil to the cheese mixture.

77. I made these last night with a ground beef filling – 8-10 ounces lean ground beef, 1/2 cup red onion choppped, 1/2 baby bella mushrooms chopped, 1/2 grape tomatoes halved. I browned the meat, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes together, added 2.5 tablespoons basil pesto. I spread a thin layer of ricotta on the noodles firs, then used about 2 tablespoons of meat filling, then rolled up, placed in the pan and covered with sauce and mozzarella. I find that putting a thin layer of your marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan works better for keeping the noodles moist than non-stick spray. These are great…easier for individual portioning than a pan of lasagna and I have plenty of leftovers in the freezer!

78. Also, any recomendations for left over lasagna noodles?

79. Mary-Liz – You could break the lasagna noodles up into pieces and add them to soup :D

80. Hi Beth! I just started a blog and I loved yours. I translated your recipe into portuguese and put a link to your site. I hope that’s ok! Loved the way you write. Thanks and I’m dying to make this recipe at home!

eatandpost.wordpress.com

I found this on Pintrest and made this recipe last night and it was absolutely delicious. Such a nice change of pace and better portion size / control than regular lasagna.

82. made it for Bible study it was great!!

83. p.s. i tried to “PIN” it, but it kept bringing me back to your pin page ….

Seriously easy and seriously good. New standby. Thank you!

I’m thinking Garfield…. YUMMMMM!!! =O

Hi Beth, should I cook for 30 minutes or 45 minutes? At the top of the recipe, the cook time says 45 minutes, but in the recipe it is 30. Can’t wait to make these, thanks for the recipe! :)

87. Anon – 30 minutes should be enough. It’s been a long time since I made this, but I think the extra fifteen minutes listed in the total time was to account for the cooking pasta. :)

Makes sense! Thanks Beth!

89. These looks delicious! I have never tried lasagna roll-ups just lasagna. Can’t wait to try

this was so good made it tonight for dinner it was a hit with my pick family i did add some meat to it but ty please keep them coming …

Awesome recipe! Just finished eating and my 10 year old son raved about your lasagna roll-ups. I added a bit off feta and cottage cheese along with the ricotta cheese. Chopped up fresh spinach too!

92. Made these last night and my kids loved them! So yummy!

Do you have to cook the noodles first?

94. Anonymous – Yes, you’ll need to cook the noodles first or else they’ll be hard and you won’t be able to roll ‘em up :)

95. We are talking in Fahrenheit degrees right?

I discovered your blog today and I am loving it! Thanks

96. Marcela – Yes, Fahrenheit :) Glad you found your way here!

Have you tried this with whole wheat pasta? Should I just boil the noodles a little linger?

• Janet says:

Cook until al dente. Don’t overcook. The lasagna noodles will cook some more when you back it.

I have a recipe that is very similar to this but I always add garlic to the filling mixture. I’ve also done it where I added Feta to the filling and both have turned out really well. When I’ve used leftover fresh spinach, I saute it in olive oil with garlic and a little onion.

99. Anonymous – I have not done this with whole wheat pasta, but it would work the same. Check the cooking directions on the package to see how long the noodles will need to boil to become soft and that should be the only difference :)

100. You can sub cottage cheese for ricotta

101. I just made this tonight for dinner and it was spectacular! Thanks so much for the recipe!

102. Brittney Rambeau says:

Made this for dinner, tweaked the spices, also sprinkled the rest of the mozzarella on top of the sauce and roll ups before covering in foil and ohmigosh was it delicious! Cheesy, gooey, deliciousness!!! Froze it all before the family got home to have more to myself later teh-heh!
    ;D

103. Brittney Rambeau says:

Also on the left over noodle topic, I simply halved the recipe afterwards and made more to freeze or gave them to friends. You don’t need to make the whole recipe at once. But I could be biased since I shopped at SAM’s so I got bulk items and had enough to make two batches, and then these extras. But from the regular store to use my 5 or 6 noodles left halve the recipe and time in the oven though not the temperature ;P I have even bought tiny aluminum bread pans and made the meal in those to make it easier to give away. I had a guy friend’s mother pass away and made this for them and froze portions so the poor boys wouldn’t starve. This recipe is a winner all around!!

104. Jenn says:

I’m not a big fan of marinara in general, and have never made my own sauce (rarely have time to cook, but I’m trying!). Does anyone have any recommendations for a good store-bought sauce that’s not marinara that would work well with this recipe? Thanks!

105. Would Greek yogurt work as a substitute for ricotta?

106. Bonnie – No, unfortunately Greek yogurt would not be a good substitute for ricotta. They are quite different in both taste and texture.

107. Jenn,
    Try making some “Filetto di Pomodoro” sauce. It’s extremely easy and not bad at all. (I don’t use the ‘imported’ tomato’s, American is fine.)the recipie is at: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/filetto-di-pomodoro-1-ww-pt.html . It can be used for many other things also.

108. Jenn,

109. Alex W says:

Can this recipe be made without the egg?

110. Stephanie says:

this was phenomenal.

used your crockpot marinara with it. also phenomenal.

nothing else to say!

(I only rated as four stars because I can’t get the fifth star to work from my phone. trust me, this is a five-star recipe!:))

111. rhonda says:

Where are you finding ricotta cheese for 2 dollars?

• That was back when I was shopping at Walmart a lot, so I’m sure that’s where I got such a great deal… and it was 2.5 years ago, so prices have increased some since then.

112. AbbyW says:

Made this awhile back and loved it! Having my two teenage brothers over tonight so I’m trying whole grain noodles and adding sausage. Can’t wait to dig in!
    Thanks so much!

113. This sounds delicious and I bet it would be amazing with your suggested addition of pesto. Love any and all kinds of pasta :)

114. I just made 2 batches of these- one with spinach for me and one with ground beef for my husband. They are delicious! Even though they were meant to freeze for after our baby comes, we had to dive in and eat extra. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

115. Elise says:

I made this exactly as was, it was delicious! Thank you!

116. Nancy says:

Anyone try using a white sauce or Alfredo with this?

117. Hi Beth! I’m wondering if you can tell me whether using a metal baking pan (similarly shaped) instead of a glass casserole dish would be a horrible disaster? Maybe I can adjust the temperature or something? I’d really love to make these!

118. dobbie says:

thanks for the recipe, i found it from another website, they happened to copy all your words though so not sure if that bothers you, heres the link: http://extremecanadiancoupons.com/homemade-spinach-lasagna-roll-ups/

119. Hi,

Thank you for sharing such detail instruction first of all! And I want to ask what else should i do if i want to use fresh spinach instead? Thanks!

• You can just saute the spinach quickly in a skillet before mixing it into the filling. Spinach wilts very quickly, so it will only take five minutes or less in a skillet to get it to the same consistency as the frozen.

120. Lindsay says:

I subbed goat cheese for ricotta, used fresh spinach, and added ground beef and they turned out great. Another hit, Beth! Thanks!

121. LaTina says:

I’d like to add Italian sausage. Should I cook the sausage beforehand, or add them uncooked? This looks delicious, by the way!

• I would definitely brown the sausage first, then you can just sprinkle it on top of the cheese mixture before rolling it up. :)

122. Emily says:

Made this tonight. Huge hit with the man friend! I loved it as well, by only thought was that I was left wishing the filling was a bit creamier. Any ideas?

• Hmm, You could maybe make a small batch of bechamel sauce to mix into the filling… or perhaps a small amount of cream cheese? Although I think the bechamel would be better. Bechamel is really simple white sauce and you can probably find a bazillion recipes and/or video tutorials for it online :)

123. Heather says:

Making this tonight. Simple, cheap, awesome directions, hidden spinach-all good. Made the sesame chicken last night. All I can say is it’s the best meal I’ve made in a LONG time. We were craving chinese food and have no good local options. I’m going to have to try all of your recipes! Thanks!

124. cristinashockley says:

i really wanted to make lasagna but do not want to make a trip to the store for more ingred. Weirdly, i have everything for this recipe so works out perfectly. thank you.

125. Anastasia says:

I’ve been meaning to make this for a long time. I made a few changes – added a small jar of marinated artichoke hearts and three cloves of garlic to the spinach/cheese mixture. I used a jarred pasta sauce (tomato with roasted garlic). So overall it ended up fairly garlicky but I like that.

My container of ricotta was a bit bigger than 15oz, so I added a bit extra of all the other ingredients. Ended up making 18 roll ups.

This recipe is definitely a keeper, and it’s so versatile you could do any type of lasagna filling.

126. Enybe says:

This dish was fun to make and a great way to finish up an open bag of fresh spinach and a half a jar of left over marinara sauce we had in our fridge that otherwise would probably have ended up going bad on us.

We didn’t have ricotta cheese so I think we used a combination of goat, mozzarella, parmesan cheese and a bit of sour cream for consistency. They were still pretty good.

127. Azure says:

Hi Beth! I am making this tonight, so I don’t know if you’ll have time to respond that quickly, but…I was wondering about the cooking time. In the little snapshot at the top, it says cook time 45 minutes, total time 1 hour, but in the instructions it says 30 minutes. Do you need to let it sit for 15 minutes or something when you take it out of the oven? I am confused about the discrepancy. (Tried to scan the comments for similar questions but I didn’t see any!)

128. Justin Beiber says:

I just made this………………it…was…duh bomb.

129. Just wondering if you substitute fresh spinach (as I have a ton in the fridge and need to use it up!), do you think it is better to just add it in as is, or saute it first? Thanks!

• I think I would definitely saute it first so that it’s easier to mix in with the cheese.

• We made this tonight and used fresh baby spinach. Just washed it and tossed it in. It was fabulous. We added chives for fun, and that was good too. A definite winner of a recipe.

130. Nathaly says:

Made this for dinner tonight. My husband and in laws LOVED it. None of my noodles tore, so I filled a 9×13 glass pan with roll ups. I decided to use fresh spinach, but I think I didn’t have enough in the mixture. Two roll ups I had to fill with grated mozzarella and sauce because I didn’t have enough mixture, I guess because of the spinach shortage on my part. These were great and easy to prepare and assemble. They taste just like regular lasagna. I love how easy it is to control portions. Will definitely be making these again.

131. This is thrifty comfort food at its best. I have included this recipe in my January Real Food Meal Plan post.

132. Sarah M says:

This rocked our faces and our wallets as usual. As a grad student, I was so incredibly thankful to have found this site last week and have been referring back daily. Thanks!

133. Ashley says:

Made this last night, awesome idea and fun! I’m a bit of a spice/herb addict and added pesto, onion & garlic powder and red pepper flakes, turned out fantastic! Definitely try pesto/herbs, it really compliments this great recipe! :)

134. heather says:

My 13, almost 14 year old kiddo has decided she wants to go vegetarian, so I’m gently easing her into it before her goal of her birthday at the end of Spring.
    I thought for sure she’d hate these but I was wrong. They’re delish. Easy, but maybe just a wee bit more time consuming than regular lasagna and stacking it in the pan. No biggie.
    I’m GF (for health, not on trend) so I used DeBoles GF Lasagna noodles and I added some Italian Spices to the cheese mixture- just a few shakes of the jar. As I forgot Mozzarella at the store, used Romano instead. Reheats awesomely, too. We have enough left that they’ll be after school snacks and lunches for the most of the week.
    (And this was the first time in my adult life I’ve cooked Lasagna noodles and not had any tear. It’s a sign!)

135. Lauren says:

I made this tonight and it was SUPER easy to make. Very delicious :) Thank you for the recipe!

136. Brenda says:

Thank you. I have made recipes from your site all week and my husband asked what he had done to deserve such amazing dinners! Easy to make and delist, this is his favorite so far!

137. Rachel says:

I’ve made this twice now. The first time I made it I only got 7 rolls, but I put the filling on kinda thick because when I tried putting on a thin layer there were small bare spots that bugged me. I used a whole 24 oz. jar of sauce and folks still wanted more! This time I used manicotti. And boy was stuffing a pain. I realized too late that we were out of eggs but it still turned out well. There was a little extra spinach since I shopped at a different store and all they had were 12 oz. bags. I also added a clove of minced garlic and 1/4 tsp. onion powder. This will definitely become part of the regular rotation.

138. Taylor says:

I literally just made this for dinner. The only thing I changed was the marinara sauce. I’m not much for marinara so I used meat sauce and I LOVED IT! Thanks so much for the recipe!

139. Kiava says:

I’d had this recipe bookmarked for a while, I knew I wanted to make it when I needed to impress someone lol. I made it a few days ago and it was a hit! I’m actually surprised at how great it tasted! Making this again very soon!

140. maria brown says:

I used to make this all the time. Thanks for reminding me its been ages since I’ve made these. I used to place them standing up in a smaller deep casserole dish and poor the sauce around. This way the filling doesn’t run out when baking :)

141. Tracy P says:

Made this with italian sausage and spinach it was great. I think I am in love with your site we were in a rut and now have a bunch of new ideas.