Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

Here is another super easy dinner idea with endless possibilities for variation. I can’t exactly say that it’s a “quick” recipe because it does have to bake a while but the actual assembly is really quick and easy.

I filled my Lasagna Roll Ups with spinach and cheese but you could also do mushrooms, pesto, or any meat. You really can make this one your own.

Combine the roll ups with a classic salad and some quick garlic bread and you’ve got a stellar meal that has “date night” written all over it. If you don’t have a date, simply pop them into individual containers and freeze. When you’re ready for a serving just take one out and microwave until it’s cooked through. Take that, Marie Callender!

Spinach Lasagna Roll UpsSpinach Lasagna Roll ups

spinach lasagna roll ups

• 1 lb. lasagna noodles $1.69
  • 15 oz. ricotta $2.09
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella $1.18
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.24
  • 1 lg. egg $0.16
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach $1.09
  • 2½ cups marinara sauce $1.09
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.05
  1. Get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (soft but not soggy… about 12-15 minutes). When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.
  2. While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. Thaw the package of frozen spinach in the microwave and then squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, freshly grated pepper and about ¼ tsp of salt. Mix until well combined.
  3. When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
  4. On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time. Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge. The filling does not need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded. Make sure to spread it all the way to the edges of the noodles.
  5. Roll the noodles up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all of your filling is gone (there may be some noodles left over, these are “back ups” in case any of the others rip during assembly). Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces. The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.
  6. Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate.

spinach lasagna roll ups

spinach lasagna fillingBegin boiling water for the noodles. While you’re waiting for the water to boil, prepare the lasagna filling. Thaw and squeeze dry the spinach. I literally take the whole clump in both hands (clean hands!) and squeeze the living day lights out of it. Combine the “dry” spinach ina bowl with the egg, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, salt and pepper.

lasagna filling mixedMix it all up until it’s evenly combined.

boil noodlesBy this time the water is probably ready for the noodles (heavy boil). Add the noodles boil until soft but not mushy. Occasionally stir the noodles while they cook to prevent them from sticking to each other and the pot. Stir gently because torn noodles = not usable.

spread lasagna fillingOnce your noodles are cooked, drained and cool enough to handle, lay a few out on a clean surface. Spread a few tablespoons of filling over each noodle. The filling doesn’t have to be that thick because once they’re rolled up, it will be compounded and seem thicker.

roll upRoll ‘em on up. (preheat the oven to 400 degrees)

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups
Place the rolled up noodles in a baking dish coated in non-stick spray. I was able to get 14 roll ups from that amount of filling. The number of roll ups you get will depend on how thickly the filling is spread on the noodles.

cover in sauceCover the lasagna roll ups in marinara sauce, taking care to fully cover the noodles (this keeps them hydrated and soft). Cover the dish with aluminum foil (again to prevent drying during baking) and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups

1. Marie says:

I live in a remote community and I fly to a grocery store every 3 months or so. I am always looking for good recipes that I can freeze and eat months later when my family runs out of fresh produce. This recipe is amazing! I usually quadruple the recipe and freeze it all. It is absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing!

2. Malinda says:

I’ve made these and put them in the freezer without the sauce. Then I can pull out the amount that I need.

3. I am going to make this for dinner tonight and I am just wondering what I could substitute for the egg?

Any ideas?

4. Katy W says:

This is a great recipe! The only change I made to this was I was too tired to make the marinara (I am a teacher), and so I just put a can of the $1 can of spaghetti sauce, a can of petite diced tomatoes and I added extra oregano, basil, garlic, 2 bay leaves, and for the “kick” that marinara has, like a dash or two of red pepper flakes! It turned it really really great however next time I will definitely put onions in it as well. This is a versatile recipe and so easy to make compared to lasagna…I will never be making lasagna ever again and maybe next time, I will have put italian sausage in the marinara sauce. :) Thanks!

5. Sara says:

OMGosh it was so good a little hard to handle the hot noodles but overall a hit at our house. Yummm Thank You for the great idea I even made an extra pan for my daughter so she didn’t have to cook after work.

Sara

6. Dani says:

Huge hit at our house! I put some roasted garlic, sweet chicken sausage and mushrooms in the sauce and melted some mozzarella on top. Will become a regular in our dinner rotation!

7. Tracy P says:

Made this with italian sausage and spinach it was great. I think I am in love with your site we were in a rut and now have a bunch of new ideas.

8. maria brown says:

I used to make this all the time. Thanks for reminding me its been ages since I’ve made these. I used to place them standing up in a smaller deep casserole dish and poor the sauce around. This way the filling doesn’t run out when baking :)

9. Kiava says:

I’d had this recipe bookmarked for a while, I knew I wanted to make it when I needed to impress someone lol. I made it a few days ago and it was a hit! I’m actually surprised at how great it tasted! Making this again very soon!

10. Taylor says:

I literally just made this for dinner. The only thing I changed was the marinara sauce. I’m not much for marinara so I used meat sauce and I LOVED IT! Thanks so much for the recipe!

11. Rachel says:

I’ve made this twice now. The first time I made it I only got 7 rolls, but I put the filling on kinda thick because when I tried putting on a thin layer there were small bare spots that bugged me. I used a whole 24 oz. jar of sauce and folks still wanted more! This time I used manicotti. And boy was stuffing a pain. I realized too late that we were out of eggs but it still turned out well. There was a little extra spinach since I shopped at a different store and all they had were 12 oz. bags. I also added a clove of minced garlic and 1/4 tsp. onion powder. This will definitely become part of the regular rotation.

12. Brenda says:

Thank you. I have made recipes from your site all week and my husband asked what he had done to deserve such amazing dinners! Easy to make and delist, this is his favorite so far!

13. Lauren says:

I made this tonight and it was SUPER easy to make. Very delicious :) Thank you for the recipe!

14. heather says:

My 13, almost 14 year old kiddo has decided she wants to go vegetarian, so I’m gently easing her into it before her goal of her birthday at the end of Spring.
    I thought for sure she’d hate these but I was wrong. They’re delish. Easy, but maybe just a wee bit more time consuming than regular lasagna and stacking it in the pan. No biggie.
    I’m GF (for health, not on trend) so I used DeBoles GF Lasagna noodles and I added some Italian Spices to the cheese mixture- just a few shakes of the jar. As I forgot Mozzarella at the store, used Romano instead. Reheats awesomely, too. We have enough left that they’ll be after school snacks and lunches for the most of the week.
    (And this was the first time in my adult life I’ve cooked Lasagna noodles and not had any tear. It’s a sign!)

15. Ashley says:

Made this last night, awesome idea and fun! I’m a bit of a spice/herb addict and added pesto, onion & garlic powder and red pepper flakes, turned out fantastic! Definitely try pesto/herbs, it really compliments this great recipe! :)

16. Sarah M says:

This rocked our faces and our wallets as usual. As a grad student, I was so incredibly thankful to have found this site last week and have been referring back daily. Thanks!

17. This is thrifty comfort food at its best. I have included this recipe in my January Real Food Meal Plan post.

18. Nathaly says:

Made this for dinner tonight. My husband and in laws LOVED it. None of my noodles tore, so I filled a 9×13 glass pan with roll ups. I decided to use fresh spinach, but I think I didn’t have enough in the mixture. Two roll ups I had to fill with grated mozzarella and sauce because I didn’t have enough mixture, I guess because of the spinach shortage on my part. These were great and easy to prepare and assemble. They taste just like regular lasagna. I love how easy it is to control portions. Will definitely be making these again.

19. Just wondering if you substitute fresh spinach (as I have a ton in the fridge and need to use it up!), do you think it is better to just add it in as is, or saute it first? Thanks!

• I think I would definitely saute it first so that it’s easier to mix in with the cheese.

• We made this tonight and used fresh baby spinach. Just washed it and tossed it in. It was fabulous. We added chives for fun, and that was good too. A definite winner of a recipe.

20. Justin Beiber says:

I just made this………………it…was…duh bomb.

21. Azure says:

Hi Beth! I am making this tonight, so I don’t know if you’ll have time to respond that quickly, but…I was wondering about the cooking time. In the little snapshot at the top, it says cook time 45 minutes, total time 1 hour, but in the instructions it says 30 minutes. Do you need to let it sit for 15 minutes or something when you take it out of the oven? I am confused about the discrepancy. (Tried to scan the comments for similar questions but I didn’t see any!)

22. Enybe says:

This dish was fun to make and a great way to finish up an open bag of fresh spinach and a half a jar of left over marinara sauce we had in our fridge that otherwise would probably have ended up going bad on us.

We didn’t have ricotta cheese so I think we used a combination of goat, mozzarella, parmesan cheese and a bit of sour cream for consistency. They were still pretty good.