Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

Here is another super easy dinner idea with endless possibilities for variation. I can’t exactly say that it’s a “quick” recipe because it does have to bake a while but the actual assembly is really quick and easy.

I filled my Lasagna Roll Ups with spinach and cheese but you could also do mushrooms, pesto, or any meat. You really can make this one your own.

Combine the roll ups with a classic salad and some quick garlic bread and you’ve got a stellar meal that has “date night” written all over it. If you don’t have a date, simply pop them into individual containers and freeze. When you’re ready for a serving just take one out and microwave until it’s cooked through. Take that, Marie Callender!

Spinach Lasagna Roll UpsSpinach Lasagna Roll ups

spinach lasagna roll ups

• 1 lb. lasagna noodles $1.69
  • 15 oz. ricotta $2.09
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella $1.18
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.24
  • 1 lg. egg $0.16
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach $1.09
  • 2½ cups marinara sauce $1.09
  • to taste salt and pepper $0.05
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.05
  1. Get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (soft but not soggy… about 12-15 minutes). When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.
  2. While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. Thaw the package of frozen spinach in the microwave and then squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, freshly grated pepper and about ¼ tsp of salt. Mix until well combined.
  3. When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
  4. On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time. Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge. The filling does not need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded. Make sure to spread it all the way to the edges of the noodles.
  5. Roll the noodles up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all of your filling is gone (there may be some noodles left over, these are “back ups” in case any of the others rip during assembly). Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces. The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.
  6. Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate.

spinach lasagna roll ups

spinach lasagna fillingBegin boiling water for the noodles. While you’re waiting for the water to boil, prepare the lasagna filling. Thaw and squeeze dry the spinach. I literally take the whole clump in both hands (clean hands!) and squeeze the living day lights out of it. Combine the “dry” spinach ina bowl with the egg, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, salt and pepper.

lasagna filling mixedMix it all up until it’s evenly combined.

boil noodlesBy this time the water is probably ready for the noodles (heavy boil). Add the noodles boil until soft but not mushy. Occasionally stir the noodles while they cook to prevent them from sticking to each other and the pot. Stir gently because torn noodles = not usable.

spread lasagna fillingOnce your noodles are cooked, drained and cool enough to handle, lay a few out on a clean surface. Spread a few tablespoons of filling over each noodle. The filling doesn’t have to be that thick because once they’re rolled up, it will be compounded and seem thicker.

roll upRoll ’em on up. (preheat the oven to 400 degrees)

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups
Place the rolled up noodles in a baking dish coated in non-stick spray. I was able to get 14 roll ups from that amount of filling. The number of roll ups you get will depend on how thickly the filling is spread on the noodles.

cover in sauceCover the lasagna roll ups in marinara sauce, taking care to fully cover the noodles (this keeps them hydrated and soft). Cover the dish with aluminum foil (again to prevent drying during baking) and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Spinach Lasagna Roll ups

1. Shana says:

Made this dish for dinner tonight. Was super easy and awesome. Thanks for sharing and all the photos.

2. Celita says:

I have made these so many times I’ve lost count. My family loves these. I add mushrooms and ground beef and it’s a total hit!!

3. Armando says:

I haven’t much cooking experience, But with this easy to follow recipe, this going into my favourite Recipe bookmark, ready for when I can try it out. Thank you very much.

4. Really nice recipe. My vegetable-repulsed 13 year old gobbled it down with no comments other than,”it’s good.”

• jackie says:

That’s good to hear, mine is waiting to go into the oven right now. My 13 year old doesn’t like spinach, but will eat it if she thinks it’s giant oregano!

5. I have to say: Those sorta dinky-looking rolled deedlyboppers are a LIE. These things are MONSTERS! Massive beasts of delicious flavorful goodness. Added mushrooms and it got super-filling up in here!

(Translation: OM NOM NOM. *burp*) <3

6. Bonnie says:

I was just wondering why the finished product on the plate looks so different from the way the ones in the pan are smothered with the marinara? Plus, the ones on the plate look like they have a fresh tomato sauce on them rather than a cooked down marinara. I see you have your website name on them, but are all of these pics your originals?

• Yep, all the photos are mine. :) The reason the ones on the plate look different its because they’re not baked. I plated and added sauce to those before I put them in the dish to bake them because I knew that after they baked they’d be all messy with sauce and you wouldn’t be able to see the inside ingredients. So I snapped a few pictures first, then put them in the casserole dish and baked the whole thing.

7. Barb says:

Can you use fresh spinach instead of frozen?

• Yes, but you’ll need to sauté it down for a couple minutes to wilt it and remove some of the moisture first.

8. This recipe is delicious.. enjoyed it very much.

9. shamon says:

Hope you respond. Know this is an older post but I was wondering if I could make this and assemble it one day and then cook it the next day. Thanks

10. stacy beasley says:

can you substitute cream cheese? I have a picky eater who doesn’t like ricotta or cottage cheese

• I personally would not use cream cheese. It’s just too different from ricotta or cottage cheese in both texture and flavor, but if that’s what *they* like, it might be worth trying.

11. We made this per the recipe and really enjoyed it. It kept pretty well and the marinara on top prevented it from drying out when re-heated.

Thanks for sharing it. I think I want to make the African Peanut Stew next!

12. Jess says:

I don’t have a microwave or toaster oven-just a conventional oven (with convection options as well). How would you recommend reheating these leftovers in the oven (both refrigerated and frozen)? Time and temp suggestions?

• I have to admit, I’ve never used my conventional oven for reheating, but I would suggest keeping it covered so that it doesn’t dry out. Also, lower heat for longer time will also probably help it heat more evenly, so I would suggest not using a temp higher than 350. The time will depend on the size and shape of your dish.

13. Siobhan says:

Hi! I really want to try these with pesto. How much would you recommend using? I’m bad at guessing these sorts of things on my own. Thanks!

14. Carol Buynak says:

A question, do you freeze the rolls before baking or after? If before baking, do you still put sauce on them or wait until u thaw them and nuke them in the micro?? Thanks