Every once in a while I get a very specific craving for a burger. Not just the patty itself, but the bun, tomato, and the whole deal. I wanted to do something a little different this time, so came up with these super yum Green Chile Turkey Burgers, infused with green chiles, cumin, and pepper jack cheese. They did not disappoint.
These Green Chile Turkey Burgers only take about 10 minutes to mix up and then depending on how you cook them, just a few minutes more until they’re ready to eat. It doesn’t really get better than that for a quick, flavorful weeknight dinner! I topped my burger with sliced tomato and avocado, but completely forgot to buy the lettuce. The avocado slices were absolutely to die for with this burger, but are completely optional if avocados are out of season or otherwise too expensive. But you know, lettuce would be good too, I guess. :)
Originally posted 1-19-14, updated 5-5-18.
Green Chile Turkey Burgers
Green Chile Turkey Burgers
- 19 oz. pkg ground turkey ($4.49)
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles, drained ($0.69)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced ($0.13)
- 2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded ($0.61)
- 5 hamburger buns ($2.91)
- 1 large tomato (optional) ($0.95)
- 1 large avocado (optional) ($1.50)
- Place the ground turkey, green chiles (drained), sliced green onions, shredded pepper jack, cumin, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients until well combined. Divide and shape the mixture into five patties. The mixture will be fairly wet.
- Cook the burgers in a skillet, on a grill, or using an indoor grill like a George Foreman, until they are cooked through (internal temperature of 165ºF) and well browned on the outside. Cooking time will depend on the method, size, and thickness of your patties.
- Serve each patty on a bun with a slice of tomato, a couple slices of avocado, and a smear of mayonnaise.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Step by Step Photos
These burgers are incredibly simple. You only need a few ingredients to add TONS of flavor to the ground turkey. All you need is one 19 oz. package of ground turkey, 2 oz. shredded pepper jack (about 1/2 cup), 2-3 green onions sliced, one 4 oz. can of diced green chiles (drained), 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. To measure the cheese I just cut an 8 oz. block of cheese into quarters then shredded one of them. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl…
Then mix them all together until well combined. This mixture is pretty wet thanks to the green chiles, but I was still able to form them into patties. They held together well when cooked.
Divide this mixture into five equal portions (that’s about 1/4 lb. per burger) and form them into patties.
Cook the burgers in a skillet, on a grill, or on an indoor grill like the George Foreman, until they are cooked through (internal temperature of 165ºF) and browned on the outside. I suggest using an instant read thermometer to make sure. They’re not very expensive and incredibly useful in the kitchen.
Top your Green Chili Turkey Burgers with whatever you like. I added a slice of fresh tomato, some avocado, and a light smear of mayo. SO GOOD!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.