It’s FRIDAY! And Fridays call for pizza. I haven’t had pizza in forever and I was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to chew pizza with my new braces, but let’s be real, even a mouth full of wire and tender teeth can’t keep me from pizza. I was craving a white pizza this week, similar to one that I had at one of my favorite pizza places in New Orleans (Pizza Delicious, if you’re wondering), so I whipped up this super simple Garlicky Kale and Ricotta Pizza.
Ricotta for the Win
Ricotta is what really makes this pizza special. If you’re not familiar with ricotta, it’s creamy and light all at the same time. The flavor is mild, almost sweet, and closer in flavor to fresh milk than most cheeses. This allows the pizza to have a delicious creaminess without feeling overly heavy, which is exactly what I want for a summer pizza! Plus, since the ricotta is so deliciously moist, I didn’t even need a sauce. Just a light brush of olive oil and garlic on the crust and I was good to go!
What Kind of Pizza Dough to Use
You can make this Garlicky Kale and Ricotta Pizza on any type of dough you like. This time around, I needed something a bit softer so that I could chew it with my braces on, so I went with my classic Pizza Dough recipe. Another couple of good options are my Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust, or my Honey Wheat Pizza Dough. But you could certainly buy a store-bought pizza dough if you’re short on time. I hear Trader Joe’s has an excellent ready-to-go pizza dough!
Garlicky Kale and Ricotta Pizza
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.13)
- 1 clove garlic, minced ($0.08)
- 6 cups torn kale leaves ($0.50)
- 1 large pizza dough* ($0.32)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.13)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta ($1.13)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella ($1.25)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF. If your kale is still on the stem, pull the leaves from the stems and tear them into 2-inch pieces. Rinse the kale well in a colander.
- Place the minced garlic and olive oil in a large pot and sauté over medium heat for about one minute, or just until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add the kale and continue to sauté for about 5 minutes, or until it has wilted. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stretch your pizza dough (about 12-14") and place it on your pizza pan. In a small dish, combine the olive oil and garlic powder, then brush it onto the surface of the dough. Scatter the sautéed kale over the surface, then top with dollops of ricotta. Finally, sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over top.
- Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust has browned, the cheese is melted, and the cheese has begun to brown on the edges. Slice the pizza into 8 pieces, and serve.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make Garlicky Kale and Ricotta Pizza – Step by Step Photos
Start by preheating your oven for the pizza (400ºF for the type of dough I used). If your kale is still on the stem, pull the kale leaves from the stems and tear them into 2-inch pieces (you’ll want about 6 cups). Rinse them well in a colander. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large pot along with one clove of minced garlic. Sauté the garlic for only about a minute, or until it is soft and fragrant, but not brown.
Add your rinsed kale to the pot. Don’t worry if it’s still quite wet, the water will steam the kale and help it wilt. I had an ENORMOUS bunch of kale, and this was about half of that bunch.
Continue to sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the kale is wilted. Season with a pinch of salt.
In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Stretch your pizza dough over your pizza pan (about 12-14 inches, it’s flexible!) and brush the garlic oil over top.
Next, scatter the garlicky kale over the dough, then add dollops of ricotta (about 1 cup total). Finally, sprinkle 1 cup shredded mozzarella over everything.
OMG it already looks so good. This pizza does bake a little longer than most pizzas, because the toppings are piled fairly high.
Bake the pizza until the crust is golden brown, the cheese is melted, and the cheese is beginning to brown on the edges. YUM.
Slice the pizza into 8 pieces, grab a cold glass of white wine, and enjoy!!