Y’all know I’m obsessed with meatballs, right? They’re just so easy, delicious, and something that I’m always in the mood for. So, when I got an unexpected pound of ground chicken in my Instacart order a couple of weeks ago, I knew exactly what to do with it—Chicken Parmesan Meatballs! While ground chicken isn’t my favorite, you can never go wrong with a meatball. Plenty of Parmesan and a few simple herbs and spices turned that lack luster ground chicken into something totally crave-worthy. Meatballs for the win!
And don’t worry, even though I did not actually order the ground chicken, I still paid for it. ;)
Simple Chicken Parmesan Meatballs and Pasta
The recipe for these Chicken Parmesan Meatballs is one that you’ll want to memorize. It’s just a really good, simple, basic meatball that you can use with any ground meat that you have on hand.
Can I Bake the Meatballs?
Yes, if you prefer to make the meatballs in the oven instead of a skillet, simply line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake in a preheated 400ºF oven for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165ºF. Do keep in mind that baked meatballs will not achieve the nice browning on the outside that you get with cooking in a skillet. The browned surface does provide additional flavor.
Can I Freeze the Chicken Meatballs?
Yes, you can freeze the meatballs either cooked or uncooked. Either way, freeze the meatballs on a lined baking sheet first to prevent them from sticking together. Then, once frozen solid, transfer to a zip top freezer bag for long term storage (about 3 months).
To cook meatballs that were frozen raw, let the meatballs thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then cook in a skillet just as directed below.
To cook meatballs that are frozen after cooking, simply drop them into a pot of hot pasta sauce directly from the freezer, and allow them to heat through in the sauce.
Can I Use a Different Kind of Ground Meat?
Yes. This mixture of Parmesan and herbs is so versatile that it goes great with just about any type of ground meat. Try it with pork, turkey, or even beef.
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs ($0.13)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan ($0.59)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- ½ tsp dried basil ($0.05)
- ½ tsp dried oregano ($0.05)
- ¼ tsp salt ($0.02)
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1 lb. ground chicken ($3.29)
- 1 large egg ($0.23)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- 12 oz. pasta ($1.00)
- 1 24oz. jar pasta sauce ($2.09)
- Combine the breadcrumbs and seasoning first. In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the ground chicken to a large bowl, then add the seasoned breadcrumb mixture and the egg. Use your hands to combine the ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Shape the meat mixture into meatballs, about 1-1.5 Tbsp each. You should get around 20 meatballs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot and the oil is shimmering, add half of the meatballs. Cook the meatballs about one minute on each side, until all six sides are browned and the meatballs are cooked through. Transfer the cooked meatballs to a clean plate. Add the second tablespoon of cooking oil to the skillet and cook the second batch of meatballs in the same manner.
- While the meatballs are cooking, begin the pasta and sauce. Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until tender (7-10 minutes). Drain the pasta in a colander. Add the sauce to a medium sauce pot and heat over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Once all the meatballs are finished cooking, add them to the pot of heated pasta sauce and stir to coat. If needed, allow them to heat for a few minutes in the sauce.
- Serve the cooked and drained pasta topped with sauce and meatballs.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
More Meatball Recipes
Do you love meatballs as much as me? Try these other meatball recipes:
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs – Step by Step Photos
First mix the dry ingredients for the meatballs. In a bowl, stir together ½ cup breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp dried basil, ½ tsp dried oregano, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper.
Next, add 1 lb. ground chicken, 1 large egg, and the seasoned breadcrumb mixture to a bowl.
Use your hands to combine the ingredients until they are evenly mixed.
Shape the chicken mixture into meatballs, about 1 to 1.5 Tbsp each, or about 20 meatballs.
Add 1 Tbsp cooking oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Once the skillet is hot and the oil is shimmering, add half of the meatballs. Cook the meatballs for about one minute on each side, until all six sides are well browned and the meatballs are cooked through. Transfer the cooked meatballs to a clean plate, add another tablespoon of oil, and cook the second batch of meatballs in the same manner.
While the meatballs are cooking, begin the pasta and sauce. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and continue to boil until tender. Drain the pasta in a colander. Add the sauce to a medium sauce pot and heat over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Add the cooked meatballs to the heated sauce and stir to combine. If needed, let the meatballs heat for a few minutes in the sauce.
Serve the cooked and drained pasta with sauce and meatballs. Enjoy!