Roasted Poblano Hummus

I have a little confession to make… last week I impulse bought a tub of hummus at the grocery store. I almost never buy hummus pre-made because it’s so cheap and so easy to make at home. But, it was one of those days, I was roaming through Whole Foods while hungry (bad combo) and I picked up a tub without a second thought.

I picked out their jalapeño flavor because I was in the mood for something a little spicy. When I got home I was pretty much blown away by the flavor. I have made jalapeño hummus several times myself, but it never tasted quite like this. That subtle flavor difference that I was tasting was roasted jalapeños!

I knew immediately that I was going to have to try it myself, but then got the idea to use roasted poblanos instead. Poblano peppers are super tasty, even better when roasted, and one of my all-time favorite peppers to work with. They provide amazing flavor without being spicy. I ended up adding a jalapeño as well, but you can just do the poblano by itself if you don’t want it hot :)

The verdict? Spoon-lickin’ good. A handful of fresh cilantro may even make it better (if that’s possible).

Roasted Poblano Hummus

Roasted Poblano Hummus

Roasted Poblano Hummus

Serves: 8 (1/4 cup ea.)
  • 1 medium poblano pepper $0.75
  • 1 medium jalapeño pepper (optional) $0.21
  • 1 (19 oz.) can chickpeas $1.65
  • 1 clove garlic $0.08
  • ¼ cup lemon juice $0.22
  • ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste) $0.81
  • ½ tsp cumin $0.03
  • ½ tsp salt $0.03
  • 2½ Tbsp olive oil (divided) $0.40
  • 2 Tbsp water $0.00
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the poblano and jalapeño peppers on a baking sheet covered with either foil or parchment paper. Use ½ tablespoon of the olive oil to coat the peppers. Roast the peppers for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
  2. After the peppers are done roasting, allow them to cool slightly while you prepare the hummus.
  3. Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse briefly with cool water. Place the chickpeas in a food processor along with the peeled clove of garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, and the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Process the mixture until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of water, if needed, to make it process easier.
  4. Once the hummus is made, carefully peel the tough skin off of the poblano pepper. Roasting creates steam which helps the skin separate from the pepper. Pull the stem off and scoop the seeds out with a spoon. Remove the jalapeño seeds in the same manner (removing the jalapeño skin is not necessary).
  5. Add the poblano and jalapeño peppers to the food processor with the hummus and process until smooth once again. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Roasted Poblano Hummus

Step by Step Photos

oiled peppersBegin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Use about 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil to coat the outside of the peppers. Just smear it around with your hands. Place the peppers on a baking sheet covered with either foil or parchment paper. I roasted two jalapeños just in case, but one was PLENTY hot.

roasted poblano pepperRoast the peppers in the oven for 30 minutes, after which they’ll look like this. The roasting process creates steam that helps the thick poblano skin separate from the yummy flesh. Let the peppers cool a bit while you make the hummus.

hummus ingredientsDrain the chickpeas and give them a quick rinse. Place the rinsed chickpeas and the rest of the hummus ingredients (lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, and the last 2 Tbsp of olive oil) in a food processor. Process this mixture until smooth. Add a couple tablespoons of water to help it process easier, if needed.

peel poblanoThe thick poblano skin should peel off very easily. Peel off as much as you can, but if you can’t get it all, don’t worry. The jalapeño skin is much thinner and does not need to be removed.

poblano seedsThe pepper is super soft, so you can just pull on the stem and the whole seed pod will separate from the flesh. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Remove the seeds from the jalapeño in the same manner.

poblano hummusAdd the de-stemmed and de-seeded peppers to the hummus. Process until smooth again.

poblano hummusAnd then you’re done!

Roasted Poblano HummusThe pita was only slowing me down. I went straight at it with a spoon.

This hummus is also pretty incredible on an egg sandwich (using an english muffin, in particular). Don’t knock it ’till you try it.

1. Tommy B says:

Love it! I’ll have to make this tomorrow. Have you every tried peeling the chickpeas before pureeing them? I saw it here but haven’t ever gotten around to it: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

• I’ve heard of people doing that, but I think I’m too impatient! ha! I don’t mind the texture, either :)

2. Do you have a full-size food processor? I have one of those mini ones and it’s incapable of making things like nut butters and tahini paste, but I wonder if hummus would be OK?? I really want to make this!

• Mine is full size. This recipe made about 2 cups of hummus, so if your processor can hold about 3-4 cups, I think it would be safe. :)

3. Great recipe! Can’t wait to try it out. I love spicy. Did you leave the seeds in for the jalapeños?

• I scraped them out just like I did with the poblanos, but it was still super spicy! I think that roasting them with the seeds inside made some of the spicy infuse into the pepper flesh.

4. montuos says:

I love hummus and I adore poblanos, so I will definitely be trying this soon!

You know what else is amazing in hummus? Kalamata olives! I found it at Trader Joe’s, but haven’t yet gotten around to making it myself.

• There’s a Mediterranean restaurant in my town that makes kalamata hummus and I will tell you that it is THE most delicious thing! :-)

5. Mmm this sounds great!

6. janmaus says:

Wonderful–but taste your poblano before adding the jalapeno. Poblanos tend to be only a tad spicier than a bell pepper, but once in a while they can really suprise you!!!

• Amanda Mananda says:

THIS. I’m so glad I cut the batch in half and only added 1/2 of the jalapeño to one side. It took it beyond my preferred level of spiciness.

Fortunately, my brother is into spicier fare and is taking on the jalapeño batch by himself. The batch with just the poblano added is delicious and right at where I like my heat.

But, yeah. Definitely heed this warning if you’re a little wary of spicy food.

7. This sounds incredible! I almost always make my own hummus and will definitely be giving this one a try sometime soon.

8. your hummas got rave reviews at @chaos_cooking tonight.

hint: dip with peppers instead of pitas. it adds a vegan twist

9. this sounds amazing! love roasted pobalanos :)

10. Amanda Mananda says:

I couldn’t find a 19 oz. can of chickpeas at any of the common grocery stores in my area. They were all 15.5 oz.; or, I found ones that were huge (approx. 32 oz. or so, if my foggy memory serves right).

I made with the math and ended up adjusting the recipe for the smaller amount, but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on where they’ve seen a 19 oz. can sold. To be fair, chickpeas aren’t exactly in high demand where I live. -:P

Also, delicious recipe. I don’t see myself buying hummus from the store any time in the future. Making it at home was so much more satisfying.

• The 19oz. can that I buy is made by Progresso, which is a brand sold in most US grocery stores, although whether or not they carry that particular can of beans is probably hit or miss. I used to use this same basic recipe with 15oz. cans, though. I just decided to stretch it out a bit and use the bigger can :)

• Amanda Mananda says:

Oh, Progresso, huh? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen their line of canned beans carried locally; I’m used to the shelves being filled with Bush’s and house brand (or Goya in the international aisle). I’ll take another look the next time I go a’shopping, though. Thanks!

My brother and I have a motto that we always make a recipe to specifications the first time, and I tend to use your brands as guidelines (just so I can get an idea of the intended flavor before we doctor it, and to try brands I never have before). So, yeah. I like it when you include pictures of the brands; I may never have tried Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce if not for their inclusion. -;) Thanks again.

11. Your blog is so inspiring for all the healthy tips and wonderful recipes you post! I have nominated you for the Shine On award, which can be found here http://milesforthought.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/shine-on-award/ Thank you for your great posts!

12. excited_dog says:

I added half a bunch of cilantro and a few shakes of dried red pepper and it was stellar. Good show.

13. Renee says:

This sounds super yummy, can’t wait to try it! However I was wondering if you have a trick of how to get the weird skin off the beans? That takes me for-ev-ah!!!! TIA

14. beyonce says:

Aww man. I bought Tahini Sauce from TJ’s which looks nothing like what you have there. Where do I just get “Tahini”?!? This will be my first time making any sort of hummus… live and learn.

• I find it in most grocery stores near the other Mediterranean ingredients, like kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, roasted bell peppers, etc. Sometimes it is near the peanut butter, though. It’s usually in a glass jar, like peanut butter, but it’s lighter in color. Some brands are in a tin can, though. I hope you can find some – it’s key to making really good hummus!

15. Elizabeth says:

Just made this (sans jalapeño) and I can’t stop eating it. Fantastic! I also like to combine your roasted red pepper and Siracha hummus.

16. Hayley says:

Amazing!! Made it with cilantro and it totally rocks. Your website has totally taught me how to cook. I regularly impress my friends and family. You rock my world and I basically tell everyone I meet about Budget Bytes. xoxoxo!

17. Kate says:

Goodness, I can’t stop eating this! Made it sans jalapeño since I didn’t have one on hand and threw some cilantro in there. Definitely will remake it with the jalapeño next time, but this tastes as good as my favorite hummus from a reataurant here in town. Thanks!

18. Julie says:

Made this yesterday and loved it. You were right–cilantro made it even better. I regularly buy Whole Foods jalapeño hummus…but not anymore! Thanks!

19. Marie says:

I would love to do hummus, but I can’t find tahini ! Do you know a place or website where I can get/order some ? Thanks in advance!

• I just found it on the World Market website for a VERY good price! :D If you just do a google search for tahini and switch to the “shopping” tab, it will show you all of the online vendors who sell it.

20. Keri says:

Since you like spicy, throw a chipotle pepper or two (with a bit of the adobo sauce) into your hummus when you make it – YUMMY!!