candied almonds

$6.61 recipe

Okay, new rule: These are NOT allowed in my house. I’m bringing them with me to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can survive the night without eating them all.

These are some dangerous little almonds… very dangerous. But say you need a gift to bring to a holiday party and wine isn’t up your alley. These would be perfect! Or, you like to give homemade gifts for Christmas – everyone will love you. I mean really, really love you.

This recipe makes about 3 times what you would get in one of those little cones from the mall kiosk and for about the same price. Now that you’ve unlocked their secret, the smell of sugar coated roasting nuts wafting from their kiosk will no longer hold any power over you. You are free.

Candied Almonds

Candied Almonds

candied almonds

• 1 lb. shelled almonds $5.99
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar $0.11
  • ⅓ cup white sugar $0.05
  • 1 tsp cinnamon $0.05
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • 1 large egg $0.25
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract $0.14
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and salt until well mixed.
  2. Separate the egg white from the yolk. Place the white in a large glass or metal bowl and whisk until light and frothy, but it is not yet forming peaks (no clear liquid should remain in the bottom of the bowl). Add the vanilla extract and whisk again until incorporated.
  3. Add the almonds to the egg whites and stir to coat. Add the cinnamon and sugar and stir to coat again.
  4. Spread the sugar coated almonds out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil coated with non-stick spray. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through. After baking, allow the almonds to cool, during which time coating will solidify into a crunchy candy shell.

Candied Almonds

cinnamon sugarFirst, stir together the sugar (brown and white), cinnamon, and salt.

mixed sugar cinnamonUntil it’s all evenly mixed.

egg white vanillaSeparate the egg and whisk the whites until they are light and fluffy, but not yet forming peaks. Make sure there is no clear, liquidy white left on the bottom of the bowl. Add the vanilla and whisk again (that’s why it’s kind of brown in the pic).

egg coated almondsAdd the almonds to the egg whites and stir to coat.

cinnamon sugarAdd the cinnamon sugar mixture and stir again until coated.

cinnamon sugar almondsSpread the coated almonds out on a baking sheet covered with either parchment paper or foil coated with non-stick spray. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through.

candy coated almondsAfter baking allow the almonds to cool so that the candy coating can harden and get nice and crunchy.

Candied AlmondsAnd now you’ve got a seriously addictive candy coated almond treat. Oh boy.

1. Beth,
    Made a version of these for Thankgining. They were done in a crockpot. Being crunched by time and space, i thought great! Never again! What a mess and took longer.
    Today i made yours. Thank you! Should have gone with your version the first time.
    Ann

2. Erin says:

I’ve made these before and they turned out AMAZING but now I’d like to make them for a holiday party that includes vegan friends. Is there anything I can substitute for the egg?

• Hmm, I don’t know… That’s a tricky one. I think I’ve seen recipes for candy coated nuts that just don’t contain egg (no replacement ingredient), but I think the preparation method is slightly different. Give it a quick Google search to see what you come up with.

3. Stephanie says:

This looks like an awesome recipe. However, I am horribly allergic to cinnamon. Do you have any recommendations for a cinnamon substitute. I run across this problem with a lot of recipes.

4. i made these exactly per the recipe and they were PERFECT. i quadrupled the recipe for 64 oz of almonds to give as christmas gifts and put 2 baking sheets full of almonds in the oven at the same time. no extra baking time required despite 2 baking sheets.

5. Erin says:

Just pulled a batch out of the oven. They look amazing and smell delicious.

6. Amanda says:

These are delicious! The 2nd time I made them, I increased the cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp and added 1/8 tsp of cayennecayenne pepper because I like a little more heat. Perfect! Thanks for a great recipe :)

7. Enybe says:

I burned them! :( my oven is old and sometimes it’s hard to adjust the temperature. I should have watched them closely! I’m defenitely trying this recipe again in the future. We always have almonds on hand and even burned they were kind of good hahaha

8. Beth, do you think I could sub the egg white for honey?

THANK YOU! I made 2 batches for Christmas and my brother law has requested some more! I used pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon and they were yummy!!
    Thanks again for all your hard work!

10. Oh my gosh…these look so good. I can’t wait to try them! Thank you!

Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

11. I made these the day you posted the reciprocal. You weren’t kidding about the addiction! They really are that easy, and oh so yummy. I took some into work and offered around. Noone could have just one! Thanks for this wonderful recipe Beth

12. These are delicious! Didn’t realize so many people in my family didn’t like almonds, so I ended up keeping a lot of them for myself. Oh, darn!

I made these and brought to two separate parties this weekend – everyone loved them! I took a previous poster’s suggestion and added about 1/2 tsp. cayenne, which gave them a little extra kick, but not too spicy. I also went up to a full tsp. of salt since I prefer my snacks on the salty side. So easy and yummy. Thanks, Beth!

14. Oops..I meant: “They look delicious!

15. The look delicious!

16. Janice E says:

Have made two batches thus far – these are amazingly good and SOOO easy. Thank you!!!

FYI – after I mixed the sugars and whisked the egg whites I realized I didn’t have enough vanilla extract! I tripled the recipe and only had about 1/2 tsp. I substituted the additional 1 tsp with maple syrup and they turned out fabulously! Just thought I’d share!