candied almonds

$6.61 recipe

Okay, new rule: These are NOT allowed in my house. I’m bringing them with me to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can survive the night without eating them all.

These are some dangerous little almonds… very dangerous. But say you need a gift to bring to a holiday party and wine isn’t up your alley. These would be perfect! Or, you like to give homemade gifts for Christmas – everyone will love you. I mean really, really love you.

This recipe makes about 3 times what you would get in one of those little cones from the mall kiosk and for about the same price. Now that you’ve unlocked their secret, the smell of sugar coated roasting nuts wafting from their kiosk will no longer hold any power over you. You are free.

Candied Almonds

Candied Almonds

candied almonds

• 1 lb. shelled almonds $5.99
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar $0.11
  • ⅓ cup white sugar $0.05
  • 1 tsp cinnamon $0.05
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • 1 large egg $0.25
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract $0.14
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and salt until well mixed.
  2. Separate the egg white from the yolk. Place the white in a large glass or metal bowl and whisk until light and frothy, but it is not yet forming peaks (no clear liquid should remain in the bottom of the bowl). Add the vanilla extract and whisk again until incorporated.
  3. Add the almonds to the egg whites and stir to coat. Add the cinnamon and sugar and stir to coat again.
  4. Spread the sugar coated almonds out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil coated with non-stick spray. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through. After baking, allow the almonds to cool, during which time coating will solidify into a crunchy candy shell.

Candied Almonds

cinnamon sugarFirst, stir together the sugar (brown and white), cinnamon, and salt.

mixed sugar cinnamonUntil it’s all evenly mixed.

egg white vanillaSeparate the egg and whisk the whites until they are light and fluffy, but not yet forming peaks. Make sure there is no clear, liquidy white left on the bottom of the bowl. Add the vanilla and whisk again (that’s why it’s kind of brown in the pic).

egg coated almondsAdd the almonds to the egg whites and stir to coat.

cinnamon sugarAdd the cinnamon sugar mixture and stir again until coated.

cinnamon sugar almondsSpread the coated almonds out on a baking sheet covered with either parchment paper or foil coated with non-stick spray. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through.

candy coated almondsAfter baking allow the almonds to cool so that the candy coating can harden and get nice and crunchy.

Candied AlmondsAnd now you’ve got a seriously addictive candy coated almond treat. Oh boy.

1. Janiece says:

Yummo! I take it we do not need the yolk? (which would be great since I throw away sooo many whites during the holidays from cheesecakes and biscotti-yea, I know, I could do all sorts of things with them…I have tried so many things…I hated them all)

I am wondering….do ya think ‘we’ (by which I mean you of course) could come up with a spicy almond recipe? Perhaps just add some heat to these or do you think the cinnamon would hinder it????

2. Janiece – Nope, you don’t need the yolk! And yep, a spicy version would be awesome! Cayenne goes wonderfully with cinnamon, so you can add a pinch or two in there :D

3. Janiece says:

WHEN I add the spice (and I will be making these)I will let y’all know how it goes!

4. I was wondering the same thing about the yolk – instead of separating the egg, could I just use Egg Beaters? If I recall, those are just egg whites, right?

Thanks for posting this just in time for me to make coworker gifts!

5. Sarah says:

Ooo, these look good! My great-great-great aunt used to make some kind of candied pecans every Christmas. I never got the recipe from her (I thought it was my grandma who made them and did not find out until after my aunt’s death that she was the one who brought them). I’ll be excited to try these!

6. Would the same recipe work for other nuts, specifically for peanuts? I love peanuts you get from the carts, and this looks amazing, but almonds are a tougher sell.

7. Ummmmmmm these looks delicious and I am going to bring these to Christmas dinner for sure. I’m hungry now.

8. Eb – I’m not sure if Egg Beaters are just 100% egg whites or if they have other ingredients (like preservatives or stabilizers) added, which might affect the whipping process. But it’s worth a shot!

Mark – I haven’t tried it with peanuts, but I bet it would work! Just make sure to use unsalted… and probably raw instead of roasted, since they’ll be in the oven for a while.

• Shannon says:

That was going to be my question. Whether or not the almonds needed to be raw? Love your recipes!

• Well, you want to use raw because roasted almonds might “over roast” during the cooking time. Plus, pre-roasted almonds usually have oil added to them, which might affect how well they coat in the mixture. I hope that helps!

This may be a dumb question but, are almonds typically sold shelled? Or do I need to look for them specifically? Thanks for all your great recipes! :)

10. thank you soo much for this recipe beth!!! i had no idea they were so easy to make. these are a staple at the christmas markets here in germany & they come in a wide variety of flavors (including coconut, bailey’s, and nutella!) but they cost something like €3 per 100 grams. i’ll probably never buy them again now that i know how ridiculously easy it is to crank out a big batch. :)

11. I really wanna make these, but my 2 year old hidden my whisk and I can’t find it ANYWHERE. I can get away with just using a fork, right? I hope?

Not sure what I could have done wrong here, but after only 15 minutes the sugar was starting to burn on the parchment and I had to pull the trays out of the oven. Any thoughts?

I just made these, and they turned out really well. I used a mixture of almonds, peanuts and cashews and added 1/2 tsp of cloves to the recipe to make it more Christmassy. They turned out really well, and will definitely be given as gifts this year. Thanks!

14. Anonymouse #1 – Not a stupid question! Almonds are usually sold already shelled :)

Seaward – I bet you could use a fork. It doesn’t even need to be as whipped as my pictures were, just enough so that it’s not really liquidy anymore. I think I”ve heard people say that two forks back to back is a decent sub for a whisk.

Anonymous #2 – Hmm, my only guess is that your oven might be running hot. Sometimes they’re not as accurate as we’d like. 15 minutes at 300 degrees shouldn’t be enough for it to burn :( Also, is your oven rack in the middle position? If it’s all the way at the top that can increase the temperature, too.

15. hahhaha “anonymouse” … a mouse with no identity.

Omg, THANK YOU for posting this. I must try!!! And cannot wait! I love those roasted sweet almonds at the mall and the aroma is just amazing! Can’t wait to try this out!

17. I have these in the oven right now! Starting to smell good. This was just the right effort/difficulty level for me :)

Generally I don’t read post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post.
    Look at my weblog Forex School

19. This is perfect! I bought a big bag of almonds at costco on sale a while back, thinking I’d roast them or use them for trail mix/granola, but alas, I never did. This sounds delicious and simple, with ingredients we always have on hand!

20. Cari Hartman says:

Do you think I could use Splenda in place of the white sugar?

21. Cari – I haven’t worked with splenda, so I’m not sure if it has the same physical properties as sugar (if it melts and crystalizes the same when heated). I know it’s fine for baked goods where it’s dissolved into batter, but it might act differently when cooked in low moisture preparations like this.

These are delicious, positively sinful. I bought 3 lb bag at costco and for the recipe of 1 lb use about 3 cups is perfect.

I bought 3 large bags of nuts at Costco (Pecans, Walnuts, and Almonds) just to make these for gifts. Mixed them up, packaged in mason jars decorated with burlap and raffia, and was thrilled with the end result! Pretty, but most importantly, delicious! THANK YOU

24. Hey Beth,

I have some leftover smoked whole almonds (the ones that come in a bag)…do you think the recipe would work with these?

25. Lyn – Hmm, I don’t imagine that the smoked flavor would work well with sweet cinnamon and sugar.

FYI – after I mixed the sugars and whisked the egg whites I realized I didn’t have enough vanilla extract! I tripled the recipe and only had about 1/2 tsp. I substituted the additional 1 tsp with maple syrup and they turned out fabulously! Just thought I’d share!

27. Janice E says:

Have made two batches thus far – these are amazingly good and SOOO easy. Thank you!!!

28. The look delicious!

29. Oops..I meant: “They look delicious!

I made these and brought to two separate parties this weekend – everyone loved them! I took a previous poster’s suggestion and added about 1/2 tsp. cayenne, which gave them a little extra kick, but not too spicy. I also went up to a full tsp. of salt since I prefer my snacks on the salty side. So easy and yummy. Thanks, Beth!

31. These are delicious! Didn’t realize so many people in my family didn’t like almonds, so I ended up keeping a lot of them for myself. Oh, darn!

32. I made these the day you posted the reciprocal. You weren’t kidding about the addiction! They really are that easy, and oh so yummy. I took some into work and offered around. Noone could have just one! Thanks for this wonderful recipe Beth

33. Oh my gosh…these look so good. I can’t wait to try them! Thank you!

Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

THANK YOU! I made 2 batches for Christmas and my brother law has requested some more! I used pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon and they were yummy!!
    Thanks again for all your hard work!

35. Beth, do you think I could sub the egg white for honey?

36. Enybe says:

I burned them! :( my oven is old and sometimes it’s hard to adjust the temperature. I should have watched them closely! I’m defenitely trying this recipe again in the future. We always have almonds on hand and even burned they were kind of good hahaha

37. Amanda says:

These are delicious! The 2nd time I made them, I increased the cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp and added 1/8 tsp of cayennecayenne pepper because I like a little more heat. Perfect! Thanks for a great recipe :)

38. Erin says:

Just pulled a batch out of the oven. They look amazing and smell delicious.

39. i made these exactly per the recipe and they were PERFECT. i quadrupled the recipe for 64 oz of almonds to give as christmas gifts and put 2 baking sheets full of almonds in the oven at the same time. no extra baking time required despite 2 baking sheets.

40. Stephanie says:

This looks like an awesome recipe. However, I am horribly allergic to cinnamon. Do you have any recommendations for a cinnamon substitute. I run across this problem with a lot of recipes.