Quick Ramen Bowl

$1.01 each

By noon today my throat had swollen up so big that I couldn’t swallow and my head was pounding. The sickness was upon me. So, as soon as I got home I started searching for something warm and soothing to eat. A quick scan of my refrigerator showed one lonely egg, some left over spinach, mushrooms and green onions from the salads that I packed for lunch this week and on top of the refrigerator I found my roommates stockpile of ramen noodles. Bingo! A hot soothing bowl of “souped up” ramen! Now, I know I may sound a little like a hypocrite because in my “About Budget Bytes” introduction I spoke of not having to eat ramen noodles every day to stay on a budget. That being said, you can do some pretty delicious things with these humble packages of noodles. This one is great because not only does it increase the nutritional value (if it had any to begin with) but it is an excellent way to use leftover veggies – experiment with whatever you have. Plus, when you’re sick, an easy, hot, soothing and delicious bowl of noodles is just what the doctor ordered!

Quick Ramen Bowl

Quick Ramen Bowl

quick ramen bowl

• 1 pkg ramen noodles $0.25
  • 1 cup fresh spinach $0.17
  • 3 medium button mushrooms $0.26
  • 2 whole green onions $0.16
  • 1 large egg (optional) $0.12
  • 1 tsp chili garlic paste (optional) $0.05
  1. In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil, wash and slice your veggies. Once the water is boiling, add the dry noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil about 5 minutes). Add the seasoning packet (or half a packet if you prefer less sodium) and stir until dissolved.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium and stir in all of your fresh veggies. Allow them to sit in the hot (not boiling) broth for 1-2 minutes or until slightly softened.
  3. Make a well in the center of the pot and crack the egg into it. Allow the egg to poach in the broth until the whites are solid but the yolk is still runny. Alternatively, you can break the yolk and stir the pot just slightly to yield egg ribbons like in egg drop soup. The water should not be boiling at this point or else your egg will dissolve into such small pieces that it will just give you a cloudy broth.
  4. Pour the soup into a bowl and serve with a dollop of chili garlic paste on the side.

leftover veggiesWhile you cook the ramen noodles, chop whatever fresh veggies you have on hand.

poach veggiesAfter the noodles have cooked and you have added the seasoning packet, stir in the veggies and allow them to poach for a minute or so.

Crack the egg into the center of the pot and allow it to poach as well (no picture, please forgive me, I’m sick as a dog!)

broken yolkI like to leave the yolk runny so that when I finally break it, I get a little shot of creamy yolk heaven!

There are so many good things that you can add to your ramen bowl, don’t be shy. You can try cabbage, sesame seeds, beans, shredded carrots, grilled chicken, shrimp… make it different every time! If you don’t have chili garlic paste, sriracha sauce is also excellent. A sprinkle of sesame oil over top would be even more special. I had a wonderful noodle bowl at a restaurant a while back that came with a side of plum sauce that added an INCREDIBLE flavor to the broth… now I just have to find some to buy somewhere!

1. BBaker says:

I make mine a little different. I let the water boul first, then add the flavor pack plus whatever veggies I have on hand (preferably cabbage, garlic, green onion and sometimes even jalapeño if I want an extra spicy kick) let it boil for about 5 minutes. Then I add the noodles, some spinach, and an egg. Let it cook for 3 more minutes. While you do that add a dash of soy sauce and hot chili oil to the bottom of your serving bowl .. Pour in ramen soup mixture and top with some fresh cilantro and lemon or lime juice. Mmm.. Never fails to please, clears out the sinuses.. And always good when your sick and/or on a cold night. :)

2. Samantha says:

I’ve been craving ramen like crazy, and my favorite spot only does it once a week. I came across your post, which helped me realize making delicious ramen is totally accessible, quick, and easy.

This is perfect because it does demonstrate how easily you can play with it and adapt it to what you have in your fridge. Thanks so much! :)

My ramen had mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, bean sprouts, and an egg. Also added some miso soup powder, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Delicious and literally less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

3. stephanie says:

What noodles do you use? I looked today and the Maruchan brand which is the only one I could find contained traces of beef or other meats in all flavors.

4. GoodrRay says:

My head is heavy, I cough and sneeze nonstop, and I am looking for something easy to make for dinner that would soothe me..I think this might be the answer!!

5. If you think runny yolk is nasty, like I do, put a cover on the pot when you add the egg to solidify it.

6. Melanie says:

My husband and I always have Asian noodles on hand for a quick week-night stir fry or for curry dishes so since I had that on hand, I used low sodium chicken broth, sauteed mushrooms, spinach, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, and sriracha; topped with a poached egg and it was FABULOUS! I served it with some pre-made spring rolls too!

This was delicious, quick, and easy. I substituted mushrooms for a handful of carrots and 1 red potato and red onion instead of green. The result was a ton of food–three servings worth for sure. Next time I’ll add a lot more vegetables because I feel like there was an overload of ramen compared to the veggies.

8. I know this is a quick and easy recipe, but those ramen packs are death. the reason the rehydrate so quickly is bc they’re deep fried. look at the fat content, It’s not coming from the seasoning! if you can, replace them with real ramen noodles from an Asian store, they’re air dried.

9. Paper says:

I make this regularly for my family for lunch and sometimes even dinner. Its VERY good. Thank you for the recipe!

10. Looks just like the noodles I get in Japan! Great site by the way. Very inspiring!

11. Rebecca says:

Had to try this when I saw it on Pinterest…so beautiful! Mine was a variation, though, using what I had on hand. I used Thai Kitchen’s “Thai Curry” flavor noodles, a handful of frozen sweet peas and corn, a sliced green onion, and an egg. I also had to add an extra pinch of salt because Thai Kitchen isn’t as salty as most ramen, but it was delicious!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. My mom added egg to my Ramen when I was a kid, stiring it in like egg drop soup. I contested but she ultimately won if I really wanted Ramen for the unteenth time in a row. I crave it now–with the egg. Nice to see it revistited here, but alas I try not to keep in the house as MY kids will eat it unteen times a week. I may have to restock and show them what my mother showed me…only this time, even more fancy!

13. aschwarz9071 says:

seriously, my husband asks me to make this once a week! i think it’s great but i didn’t think he’d be so addicted lol

14. ToniA says:

Who would have thought ramen taste so great! This is my new easy favorite. It’s a quick, simple, delicious meal that’s good eats on the cheap. I had a little smoked sausage left over from last nights dinner that I added in place of the egg. The chili garlic paste really livens it up and gives it a nice fresh taste for something out of a bag. Will definitely be making this again, and again, and again…

15. I made this for dinner tonight – added peas, doubled the spinach, and added a grated carrot. OMG: DELISH! Thanks!!!

16. Candy says:

Who would’ve known that ramen noodles could be elevated to this level?! I admit that I did this a little wrong…either my water wasn’t hot enough to poach the egg or I was really impatient. When the white wasn’t getting, well, white, I stirred the egg into the soup hoping to distribute it in the hot water. It didn’t ever get egg drop-y, but it did add a creaminess to the soup that was just unbelievable. I foresee myself eating this at least once a week!

OMG there is enough MSG in one ramen “broth” packet to KILL a 2yo child! Just use normal broth to start with! Or have some Better Than Bouillon on hand… or use miso & tamari…

That said, adding veggies and egg is a lovely idea and i LOVE how you explained exactly how to do the egg both ways, and how to avoid messing it up! (which has happened to me before but i didn’t know why)

18. Growing up, my Japanese mom used to liven up my ramen noodles in this exact same way – always an egg, and sometimes veggies. Even just adding only an egg to the ramen makes it a thousand times better.

My favorite ramen brand, by the way, is Sapporo Ichiban original flavor. Just a tiny bit more expensive, but FAR outweighs Top Ramen in taste.

19. This has been one of my fav foods since forever :D usually i slightly break my egg up so it distribues, and use brocolli and cauliflower :) yum! :D I’m so glad i found your blog, this is just how i cook too. Broke, moneywise gourmet. lol

I absolutely love the egg idea in ramen. will definitely use that idea next time. Also, ramen does sell the 33% less sodium but it’s very limited where that can be purchased. Sometimes I will just put in a low sodium chicken base and put in some chili, garlic, and cayenne pepper.

21. Michael W. says:

The best Ramen I’ve had is Shin Ramyun.. it’s slightly pricier but has two servings per package. Also, I like to top it with a slice of pepperjack cheese when I’m done. Sounds weird, but it’s fantastic!