Quick Ramen Bowl

$1.01 each

By noon today my throat had swollen up so big that I couldn’t swallow and my head was pounding. The sickness was upon me. So, as soon as I got home I started searching for something warm and soothing to eat. A quick scan of my refrigerator showed one lonely egg, some left over spinach, mushrooms and green onions from the salads that I packed for lunch this week and on top of the refrigerator I found my roommates stockpile of ramen noodles. Bingo! A hot soothing bowl of “souped up” ramen! Now, I know I may sound a little like a hypocrite because in my “About Budget Bytes” introduction I spoke of not having to eat ramen noodles every day to stay on a budget. That being said, you can do some pretty delicious things with these humble packages of noodles. This one is great because not only does it increase the nutritional value (if it had any to begin with) but it is an excellent way to use leftover veggies – experiment with whatever you have. Plus, when you’re sick, an easy, hot, soothing and delicious bowl of noodles is just what the doctor ordered!

Quick Ramen Bowl

Quick Ramen Bowl

quick ramen bowl

• 1 pkg ramen noodles $0.25
  • 1 cup fresh spinach $0.17
  • 3 medium button mushrooms $0.26
  • 2 whole green onions $0.16
  • 1 large egg (optional) $0.12
  • 1 tsp chili garlic paste (optional) $0.05
  1. In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil, wash and slice your veggies. Once the water is boiling, add the dry noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil about 5 minutes). Add the seasoning packet (or half a packet if you prefer less sodium) and stir until dissolved.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium and stir in all of your fresh veggies. Allow them to sit in the hot (not boiling) broth for 1-2 minutes or until slightly softened.
  3. Make a well in the center of the pot and crack the egg into it. Allow the egg to poach in the broth until the whites are solid but the yolk is still runny. Alternatively, you can break the yolk and stir the pot just slightly to yield egg ribbons like in egg drop soup. The water should not be boiling at this point or else your egg will dissolve into such small pieces that it will just give you a cloudy broth.
  4. Pour the soup into a bowl and serve with a dollop of chili garlic paste on the side.

leftover veggiesWhile you cook the ramen noodles, chop whatever fresh veggies you have on hand.

poach veggiesAfter the noodles have cooked and you have added the seasoning packet, stir in the veggies and allow them to poach for a minute or so.

Crack the egg into the center of the pot and allow it to poach as well (no picture, please forgive me, I’m sick as a dog!)

broken yolkI like to leave the yolk runny so that when I finally break it, I get a little shot of creamy yolk heaven!

There are so many good things that you can add to your ramen bowl, don’t be shy. You can try cabbage, sesame seeds, beans, shredded carrots, grilled chicken, shrimp… make it different every time! If you don’t have chili garlic paste, sriracha sauce is also excellent. A sprinkle of sesame oil over top would be even more special. I had a wonderful noodle bowl at a restaurant a while back that came with a side of plum sauce that added an INCREDIBLE flavor to the broth… now I just have to find some to buy somewhere!

1. Robin says:

Is it weird that this is one of my favorite recipes of yours? It’s so satisfying and so simple (and so cheap!). I gave up eating ramen a long time ago because I always found it kind of boring, but constantly find myself craving soup without either the time or ingredients to make a whole homemade pot. This recipe satisfies that craving perfectly. I can’t believe I never thought of adding anything to ramen before, so thanks for opening my eyes!

2. I found this just a few days ago and decided to try this out. It is AMAZINGGGG. I never thought ramen could taste this good. Haha. Btw, awesome website and thanks!

3. Zac C. says:

Made this yesterday and I am very pleased with the result. I did change the recipe slightly. I used regular ramen (not instant) and a homemade broth. I also added soy sauce for salt content (sodium-free broth) as well as sriracha for some heat.

Since I am made this as a full meal I also added some chicken I had leftover from another meal and fried it in bacon grease reserved from breakfast that morning. (While not the healthiest option, it was hard to argue with my roommates, especially about bacon.)

The result could not have been better! The soup was creamy and with some cilantro on top the sum totals of just the smells in the house was amazing. We had it for lunch and dinner yesterday and I am just finishing the last bowl of it for lunch now.

• Ryan says:

“Slightly?” You made an entirely different recipe.

• LOL! I love when people comment with their “slight changes” or “tweaks” and end up posting an entirely different recipe. It’s cool to see everyone’s take on it, I suppose, but if you’re going to create something different altogether, then just do that it in the first place. You can say that this recipe inspired your recipe rather than posting your bastardized version of the original as having a “few changes”. Haha.

4. Sammy says:

I took your ramen recipe and mixed it with my own. Boiled some water in a pot, added half the flavor packet and the dried vegetables that came with the noodles. I put in about a tbsp of sesame oil, a tbsp of sesame seeds, and a tbsp of minced garlic. Also added some seasoned seaweed. Along with the mushrooms, green onion, spinach, and egg, the taste was amazing. I will definitely make this again!

5. Ok i looveee ramen to death, but after having it so long i occassionally get tired of eatting it and it’s not exactly healthy. Then i found this recipe and oh my gosh my taste buds exploded cause it was so delicious. I love how it makes eatting ramen just a bit more healthy and it adds some awesome flavors for it. the spinach was kind of pricey but i have enough for plenty of meals until it goes bad.

6. BBaker says:

I make mine a little different. I let the water boul first, then add the flavor pack plus whatever veggies I have on hand (preferably cabbage, garlic, green onion and sometimes even jalapeño if I want an extra spicy kick) let it boil for about 5 minutes. Then I add the noodles, some spinach, and an egg. Let it cook for 3 more minutes. While you do that add a dash of soy sauce and hot chili oil to the bottom of your serving bowl .. Pour in ramen soup mixture and top with some fresh cilantro and lemon or lime juice. Mmm.. Never fails to please, clears out the sinuses.. And always good when your sick and/or on a cold night. :)

7. Samantha says:

I’ve been craving ramen like crazy, and my favorite spot only does it once a week. I came across your post, which helped me realize making delicious ramen is totally accessible, quick, and easy.

This is perfect because it does demonstrate how easily you can play with it and adapt it to what you have in your fridge. Thanks so much! :)

My ramen had mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, bean sprouts, and an egg. Also added some miso soup powder, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Delicious and literally less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

8. stephanie says:

What noodles do you use? I looked today and the Maruchan brand which is the only one I could find contained traces of beef or other meats in all flavors.

9. GoodrRay says:

My head is heavy, I cough and sneeze nonstop, and I am looking for something easy to make for dinner that would soothe me..I think this might be the answer!!

10. If you think runny yolk is nasty, like I do, put a cover on the pot when you add the egg to solidify it.

11. Melanie says:

My husband and I always have Asian noodles on hand for a quick week-night stir fry or for curry dishes so since I had that on hand, I used low sodium chicken broth, sauteed mushrooms, spinach, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, and sriracha; topped with a poached egg and it was FABULOUS! I served it with some pre-made spring rolls too!

This was delicious, quick, and easy. I substituted mushrooms for a handful of carrots and 1 red potato and red onion instead of green. The result was a ton of food–three servings worth for sure. Next time I’ll add a lot more vegetables because I feel like there was an overload of ramen compared to the veggies.

13. I know this is a quick and easy recipe, but those ramen packs are death. the reason the rehydrate so quickly is bc they’re deep fried. look at the fat content, It’s not coming from the seasoning! if you can, replace them with real ramen noodles from an Asian store, they’re air dried.

14. Paper says:

I make this regularly for my family for lunch and sometimes even dinner. Its VERY good. Thank you for the recipe!

15. Looks just like the noodles I get in Japan! Great site by the way. Very inspiring!

16. Rebecca says:

Had to try this when I saw it on Pinterest…so beautiful! Mine was a variation, though, using what I had on hand. I used Thai Kitchen’s “Thai Curry” flavor noodles, a handful of frozen sweet peas and corn, a sliced green onion, and an egg. I also had to add an extra pinch of salt because Thai Kitchen isn’t as salty as most ramen, but it was delicious!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

17. My mom added egg to my Ramen when I was a kid, stiring it in like egg drop soup. I contested but she ultimately won if I really wanted Ramen for the unteenth time in a row. I crave it now–with the egg. Nice to see it revistited here, but alas I try not to keep in the house as MY kids will eat it unteen times a week. I may have to restock and show them what my mother showed me…only this time, even more fancy!

18. aschwarz9071 says:

seriously, my husband asks me to make this once a week! i think it’s great but i didn’t think he’d be so addicted lol

19. ToniA says:

Who would have thought ramen taste so great! This is my new easy favorite. It’s a quick, simple, delicious meal that’s good eats on the cheap. I had a little smoked sausage left over from last nights dinner that I added in place of the egg. The chili garlic paste really livens it up and gives it a nice fresh taste for something out of a bag. Will definitely be making this again, and again, and again…

20. I made this for dinner tonight – added peas, doubled the spinach, and added a grated carrot. OMG: DELISH! Thanks!!!

21. Candy says:

Who would’ve known that ramen noodles could be elevated to this level?! I admit that I did this a little wrong…either my water wasn’t hot enough to poach the egg or I was really impatient. When the white wasn’t getting, well, white, I stirred the egg into the soup hoping to distribute it in the hot water. It didn’t ever get egg drop-y, but it did add a creaminess to the soup that was just unbelievable. I foresee myself eating this at least once a week!

OMG there is enough MSG in one ramen “broth” packet to KILL a 2yo child! Just use normal broth to start with! Or have some Better Than Bouillon on hand… or use miso & tamari…

That said, adding veggies and egg is a lovely idea and i LOVE how you explained exactly how to do the egg both ways, and how to avoid messing it up! (which has happened to me before but i didn’t know why)

23. Growing up, my Japanese mom used to liven up my ramen noodles in this exact same way – always an egg, and sometimes veggies. Even just adding only an egg to the ramen makes it a thousand times better.

My favorite ramen brand, by the way, is Sapporo Ichiban original flavor. Just a tiny bit more expensive, but FAR outweighs Top Ramen in taste.

24. This has been one of my fav foods since forever :D usually i slightly break my egg up so it distribues, and use brocolli and cauliflower :) yum! :D I’m so glad i found your blog, this is just how i cook too. Broke, moneywise gourmet. lol

I absolutely love the egg idea in ramen. will definitely use that idea next time. Also, ramen does sell the 33% less sodium but it’s very limited where that can be purchased. Sometimes I will just put in a low sodium chicken base and put in some chili, garlic, and cayenne pepper.

26. Michael W. says:

The best Ramen I’ve had is Shin Ramyun.. it’s slightly pricier but has two servings per package. Also, I like to top it with a slice of pepperjack cheese when I’m done. Sounds weird, but it’s fantastic!

27. Tried this today and it was super yummy. I served it as a side dish with some chicken egg rolls so I left out the egg. The spinach was such a great addition. To doctor up the broth a bit, I added a splash of soy sauce, a tsp of jarred minced garlic, a tiny bit of ginger from a tube, and some sriracha of course ;). It’s delicious! Thanks for the great idea.

28. If I didn’t see your pic posted, I would think you are Asian based on this recipe! haha I am Vietnamese and this is how I always make ramen noodles…….chock full of veggies, herbs and protein of some sort (depends on what is leftover in the fridge). Nice posting!

29. i havent had ramen in forever, had an aversion…but tonight i had NOTHING to eat and decided to go for it. luckily i had some left over bell pepper, spinach and and egg and a good old packet of noodles. i overcook my noodles a bit and im using tabasco but…AWESOME recipe. who knew ramen could feel like a delicacy

30. Ryder says:

This is my quick breakfast on a lot of days. A dab of miso, a couple chopstick-fulls of hoisin, plus soy sauce and sriracha do a good job of making it taste less like a 50 yen emergency meal from your local konbini.

31. we cook our ramen in the microwave for about 3 minutes. it cooks the egg perfectly if you drop it in straight when it comes out.

32. We do this, but we add a bit of soy sauce or tamari, rice vinegar, rice wine, ginger, sesame oil, etc. We also do ramen with leftover chicken, pork, or beef in it. Makes a good quick lunch with whatever leftovers are on hand. Fried rice does, too.

I like my egg poached a bit more than that, though. I like it cooked medium, so the yolk is only about a third runny, just in the center.

33. I stumbled across some of your recipes on Pinterest and have tried several and we are LOVING THEM! Thank you for not only sharing such creative recipes but doing so with a budget in mind.

Signed – your new fan!

34. Krystal says:

I was skeptical at first, but it’s really great. I used Maruchan /Top Ramen, in creamy chicken flavor with carrots, mushrooms, egg, some left over grilled chicken, and frozen spinach.

35. Mariam – I’m pretty sure I just used the regular old Top Ramen or whatever brand was in the grocery store. I am a fan of the cheap ramen to begin with so maybe thats why it tasted so good to me :) To give it more flavor you can try adding just a splash of soy sauce to the broth or sriracha, chili garlic sauce or even a little fish sauce. I often times sprinkle just a tad of toasted sesame oil on there too. Good luck!

36. Mariam E says:

Hi!! I made this today, and I think it could have had a bit more potential if i used a better ramen brand/flavor. Do you mind sharing which brand/flavor you used for this one?

37. Elly says:

Thank you for the lovely recipe and it’s really amazing as to how much or what varied ingredients you can throw into this dish and taste yummy!

Tonight, tried it with some mushrooms, green onion and a bit of sesame oil. Plus, there was enough left over for some lunch tomorrow.

38. Alicia says:

I just tried this and it was really good! It’s amazing how adding vegetables to ramen can make it taste so much less processed and more like actual food.

39. terrific! This is now on my list of must-dos, as are several of your recipes!

40. Whew! Just finished my own bowl of this tasty recipe and loved it! What a great way to spice up ramen. Thanks for sharing!

41. I’ve been throwing in mushrooms, green onion, peas, corn and boy choy. I love the choy because it’s like getting celery and spinach in one cheap vegetable.

42. Oh wow, you made Ramen look GOOD! I have used egg in it before but I have only done it “egg drop soup” style and it does not look this pretty when it is done! Great job on an inexpensive meal!

Yikes, this is making my mouth water (and I’m stuck at work)! I often throw in an egg into my noodles while they’re cooking too — super easy way of getting my protein. Never thought of adding mushrooms though. Gonna try that next. =)

44. notovny says:

Turned out pretty tasty. Seems to generally take longer than twenty minutes for to poach the egg, though. Maybe I need to keep the heat higher.

45. Awesome, awesome in-a-pinch meal.

46. Yummy! I made this for lunch for me and my boys and everyone ate it all up!

47. That ramen looks nice and fresh and good!

48. Love the egg yolk on top!

Just made this for dinner — delicious, filling, and super easy! Thanks.

50. Cheap and good! I like it!

51. What a great way to use scraps of veggies. I always do the old throw everything in a burrito and cover it with cheese routine.