OMG, these cheddar drop biscuits are to die for. They’re tender, rich, fluffy, and a total cheddar-cheesy delight. Plus, since there’s no kneading or shaping, they’re insanely easy. So if you’re looking for a simple biscuit or roll to serve with dinner, give these cheddar biscuits a try. You won’t be disappointed.
What is a “Drop Biscuit”?
Drop biscuits are the easiest biscuit to make in the biscuit world. Why? There’s no kneading, shaping, or cutting the biscuit. You literally just scoop up some batter with a spoon and then “drop” it onto a baking sheet. The dough for a drop biscuit does tend to be a bit more wet and sticky than a traditional biscuit dough to allow you to scoop it up with a spoon.
Can I Substitute the Heavy Cream?
No. Unfortunately, heavy cream is the magic ingredient in these biscuits. Because this recipe does not contain any butter, you need the high fat content of heavy cream to make up for its absence. The fat in the heavy cream is what allows these biscuits to turn out so deliciously light, fluffy, and tender.
Drop Biscuits are Freezer Friendly!
Like most breads and baked goods, these cheddar drop biscuits are freezer friendly! Which is great, especially if you’re a smaller household. To freeze these biscuits, just bake as usual and then allow them to fully cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. To thaw, simply allow them to come to room temperature, and then warm briefly in a hot oven.
How to Serve Cheddar Drop Biscuits
These tasty little biscuits make a delicious side for soups, stews, and chili. The cheddar scallion flavor makes a particularly nice side to vegetable soup or chili. They’d also be great with some Red Beans and Rice, Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew, Salisbury Steak, or even with your eggs and bacon at breakfast.
Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- 2.25 cups all-purpose flour ($0.35)
- 1 tsp salt ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder ($0.06)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1 tsp sugar ($0.02)
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded ($0.85)
- 3 green onions, sliced ($0.25)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream ($1.55)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, and sugar until well combined.
- Add the shredded cheddar and sliced green onions to the flour mixture and stir to combine again.
- Add the heavy cream and stir until a soft sticky batter forms.
- Spoon the batter onto the parchment lined baking sheet, about ⅓ cup for each biscuit. You should get about 12 biscuits. Make sure to leave an inch or two between each biscuit because they will expand as they bake.
- Bake the biscuits for 18-20 minutes in the fully preheated 400ºF oven, or until they are lightly golden brown on top. Serve warm.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Cheddar Drop Biscuits – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together 2.25 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp baking powder, ¼ tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp sugar.
Add 4oz. shredded cheddar and three sliced green onions to the bowl with the flour mixture, then stir to combine.
Pour 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream into the bowl with the flour mixture.
Stir until a soft, sticky batter forms.
Scoop up the batter with a spoon, about ⅓ cup at a time, and drop it onto the lined baking sheet. Make sure to leave an inch or two between each biscuit because they will expand while baking. You should get about 12 biscuits.
Bake the biscuits in the fully preheated 400ºF oven for 18-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
Serve warm and enjoy that rich, fluffy, cheesy goodness!!