One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Guess what time it is? Comfort-food-o’clock!

This is yet another “better than the box” meal. It’s like hamburger helper stroganoff, but homemade. And guess what? It’s still super fast, easy, and requires only one pot.

I used half ground beef and half mushrooms just for fun (the beef was actually less expensive per pound than the mushrooms), but you could do all mushroom or all beef if your heart so desires. If you’re doing a vegetarian version with all mushrooms, you can use mushroom or vegetable broth to replace the beef broth.

So, let’s just get straight to it because I’ve got some delicious, creamy, and savory noodles waitin’ for me in the kitchen!

(please excuse the blurry pics, it was super dark and rainy the day I made this.)

One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Serves: 4 (about 1 cup each)
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.24
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.16
  • ½ lb. ground beef $1.94
  • 8 oz. fresh button mushrooms $1.99
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour $0.01
  • 2 cups beef broth $0.30*
  • 8 oz. wide egg noodles $0.90**
  • ⅓ cup sour cream $0.67
  1. Mince the garlic. Add the garlic and butter to a large pot or skillet and sauté for one to two minutes over medium heat, or until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add the ground beef and continue to sauté until it is fully browned.
  2. While the beef is browning, slice the mushrooms. Once the beef has browned, add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft. Add the flour and sauté for about two minutes more. The flour will coat the bottom of the pot and this is okay.
  3. Add the beef broth to the pot and stir to dissolve the flour off of the bottom. Add the uncooked egg noodles. Place a lid on the pot and allow the liquid to come up to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and allow the pot to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the noodles are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed (keep the lid on while simmering). You'll need to stir every few minutes to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Make sure the liquid is simmering the entire time. If not, increase the heat slightly.
  4. Once the noodles are tender, stir in the sour cream. Serve hot.
Notes
*I use Better Than Bouillon brand soup base to make broth instead of buying canned or boxed broths.

**Using regular pasta instead of egg noodles may produce different results. Egg noodles are not quite as thick or heavy as regular pasta.

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Step by Step Photos

Garlic and Butter

Begin by sautéing 2 cloves of minced garlic in 2 Tbsp of butter until soft (1-2 minutes). You can use a large pot or large skillet, as long as it is big enough to hold all of the pasta AND has a lid (the lid will be used later).

Brown Beef

Next, add the ground beef and continue to sauté until it is fully browned.

Slice mushrooms

While the beef is browning, slice the mushrooms. At my local grocery store they sell 8 oz. packages of whole or sliced mushrooms, both for the same price. I prefer to slice my own because the pre-sliced variety are too thick and you’ll get more mushroom pieces if you slice them thinner.

Flour

Once the beef is browned, add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft. Once the mushrooms are soft, add 2 Tbsp flour and continue to sauté for one to two minutes more. As you’re stirring and cooking, the flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pot. This is A-OK because it will dissolve off in the next step. Just make sure the heat is not so high that the flour begins to burn. That is bad.

Beef Broth

I know I sound like a big commercial for Better Than Bouillon, but it really is the best thing ever. It stays good in the fridge for almost forever and you can mix up as much or as little broth that you need at any given time. For this recipe, I mixed up 2 cups of broth.

Deglaze

Add the beef broth to the pot and stir until all of the flour is dissolved off of the bottom of the pot.

Uncooked Noodles

Add 8 oz. of uncooked wide egg noodles. Egg noodles have a different texture than regular pasta, so if you try to substitute regular pasta, you may get slightly different results. Place a lid on the pot and allow the broth to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes (with the lid in place), or until the noodles are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid. You’ll want to stir every few minutes to keep the pasta from sticking. Make sure the broth is simmering the whole time. If it stops, turn the heat up just a tad.

Cooked NoodlesAnd after about ten minutes, the pasta is fully cooked. If you notice in the previous picture, not all of the pasta is submerged in the broth. That’s okay because the lid traps the steam and helps cook the portions that are not submerged. Plus, stirring every few minutes makes sure that everything gets good exposure to the hot liquid.

Sour Cream

Lastly, stir in 1/3 cup sour cream until the whole deal is nice and creamy and delicious. I used light sour cream because I barely notice the difference between regular and light, but I wouldn’t suggest using fat free.

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

And now it’s ready to devour! I added some chopped parsley just for the photo… brown pasta isn’t all that visually appealing, but once you taste it O.M.G!

1. cindarelli says:

I made this with vegetarian broth and soy “beef” to make this a vegetarian dish…left everything else the same. Phenomenal! We’re having in again tonight!

2. Leah says:

Fabulous! I’ve yet to try one of your recipes I haven’t loved. Thanks!!

3. LaTrice says:

This Beef Stroganoff is placing Hamburger Helper’s Beef Stroganoff to shame! Unfortunately, I cooked the egg noodles separately, instead of cooking them inside the beef broth. It was absolutely delicious!!! Next time, I’m going to follow the recipe, but add extra mushrooms!!!! Thank you for this awesome recipe, Beth!!! :-)

4. Stacy says:

Once again, DELICIOUS! The whole family loved it. The kids even asked for thirds! Maybe it’s too yummy!?

5. Stacy says:

Do you think it would taste fine to substitute plain greek yogurt for the sour cream?

• I’m personally not a fan of using Greek yogurt in place of sour cream because I find the acidity to be much more harsh, but a lot of people don’t mind it.

6. Aliece says:

We are big meat eaters. I used 1 lb. 90/10 ground beef, cream cheese (no sour cream on hand), canned mushroom slices, Dreamfields pasta, one chopped onion along with the stated recipe. I also add a T. soy sauce and about a tsp. of Ms. Dash Table Blend. Great, easy recipe for me! Thank you for sharing!

• Kelly says:

The soy sauce is a great idea! Every time I make this I always forget that I need to add a bit of salt. The soy sauce would be a perfect addition and give it just a bit of the salt taste I’m looking for.

7. Angela says:

This is fantastic – even our 6 year old who only wants to eat rice & beans loved it! So easy too. My husband totally has a food crush on you! Hahaha

8. silly Kyttie says:

Some of the price information I find is a little outdated. It costs 4-5 dollars for a pound of hamburger where I live and so a half pound would probably be 2-3 dollars, Meat isn’t as cheap as it used to be but it is a great easy recepie to follow

9. Sammy says:

I think this is one of my favorite recipes off of this site so far. When I made this, I didn’t have any sour cream on me so I just used about 1/2 cup of milk instead. I also made this using cavatappi noodles instead of egg noodles, and it took a long time and more water to cook. I added onions and celery and it turned out absolutely delicious despite my weird substitutions. I’ll definitely make it again.

10. Just cooked this for dinner this for dinner and would like to add some recomendations regarding substituting.

Better Than Bouillon is not available where I live, so I used Knorr beef stock cubes, and it came out a little bland. Add plenty of salt and pepper, and I will most likely add some parsley to the left overs.

Instead of egg noodles I used bow tie pasta, and although it turned out just fine I would just like to advise people to resist the temptation of adding more water! I must have added 3 cups in total, as it looked like the pasta was gonna soak it all up, and it came out with a little too much sauce. However, the left over portions will be split between the fridge and the freezer (and pasta just soaks up sauce if not eaten immediately), so it might actually work to my advantage!

11. Nicol says:

I was just wondering if you could double the recipe with the same results? Thank you.

12. Arielle says:

I added a small onion in with the garlic, and added Worcestershire sauce to help the meaty, umami taste. Plus a bit more sour cream and lots of black pepper! Very good, very easy.

13. I used chopped yellow summer squash in place of the mushrooms. Still cheap, filling, and delicious.

14. Peter Tupper says:

One of my staples now. I add carrots and onions at the first stage for flavour and fibre, substitute whole wheat rotini for the egg noodles, and Worchestershire sauce for taste.

• Do you change the amount of liquid or pasta at all when using whole wheat pasta? (Or anyone else who’s tried it with whole wheat or Dreamfields low carb pasta?)

15. Amanda says:

Add dill..mmmmmmm

16. andalusi says:

I’ve made this several times and it’s now a favorite for me and my wife. Though I use baby portabellas instead. Also, I experimented with creme fraiche once (to delicious results).

17. Simple and absolutely wonderful! Totally hit the “hamburger helper” spot. I substituted the egg noodles, beef broth, and sour cream with shell pasta, chicken broth, and milk. Turned out great!

18. Reyna says:

To make the sauce gluten free, could I simply substitute cornstarch or potato starch for the flour? Or would I need a different ratio?

• Hmm, it would definitely be more complicated than a simple swap. I don’t think you can make a roux with corn starch the way you can with flour. Corn starch is usually added into a sauce later, then brought to a boil to thicken, where as flour is mixed with a fat or oil, toasted, then the liquid is added to it. I’d have to experiment with it before making a recommendation.

• Alison says:

I’m late to the party– but you can make a slurry of cornstarch and any cold liquid (broth, milk, or water) and add after you have added the beef stock/broth.

For each cup of liquid you want to thicken, start with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl. (so for this recipe, use 2 tablespoons). Add an equal amount of cold liquid and stir until a smooth paste forms. This is your slurry.

Whisk the slurry into the hot, simmering broth that you want to thicken. Bring to a boil and simmer until any starchy taste has been cooked away. This should happen naturally in the 10 mins you are cooking the noodles. Though I wouldn’t go much beyond the 10 mins or it could start to break down and thin out. Hope this helps. We are always looking at ways to make things GF.

19. Laura says:

I loved this recipe it was a definite hit with my family we will definetly be eating this again

20. This turned out very tasty, even missing a key ingredient. My vegan sour cream had turned, so we had to omit it. My picky son and fiance liked this dish, and so did I. I made the recipe using grass-fed ground beef, Jovial gluten-free egg noodles (because of my wheat allergy), Pacific Foods organic beef broth, and Earth Balance butter substitute (also have a dairy allergy). I was concerned that the gluten-free noodles would turn to mush in a one-pot meal, but they held together perfectly. Not having to boil water and cook the pasta separately is a beautiful thing! We’ll definitely make this again, and I’m looking forward to the addition of sour cream. We each added salt and cracked pepper to taste.

21. Andrea says:

Just finished eating this fantastic meal! Even my picky daughter gobbled it down in record time. She doesnt even like cooked mushrooms but this time she was happy to eat them.

22. Rebah says:

where can i buy the Better Than Bouillon in Australia ? And what section do i find it please Thanks

• I’m not sure where you can get it in Australia, but I bet you could get it on Amazon if it’s not available in any local stores.

• Karen says:

This won’t help Reba, but for others near Costco… You can get it there. It’s a larger jar, plus it’s organic, and less expensive than at the grocery stores.

Haven’t tried the recipe yet. It’s what’s for dinner tonight. I’ll be sure to come back and rate it.

23. Teagan says:

Made this tonight, and really enjoyed it! I had to add some salt and pepper, cause it was a little bland for me.

24. I love your site and this particular recipe was great. I added sriracha when serving (because I LOVE IT) and to my surprise it was not too overwhelming.
    I thoroughly enjoy your site, especially the step by step with pictures. I’m not a good cook and I need to follow recipes (otherwise I just start freaking out and messing everything up because I throw in as many spices as possible) and your recipes are very easy to follow Thank you!

25. Megan says:

This is REALLY good! I love beef stroganoff and this was so easy, and the clean up was a breeze. In my opinion it needed a few tweaks. I added probably a teaspoon of salt and some fresh cracked pepper (I used beef stock instead of better than bouillon so that could have been the issue with the salt) I still felt it needed a little “something” so I added about a tbs. of soy sauce. which made it PERFECT! So good! Hubby and I devoured it (him especially). There is none left and we are happy.

26. Judy says:

This was DELISH!!!! Will definitely do this again! I too added onion and some additional spices (salt, pepper and thyme). My husband raved about his just in the cooking stages and gobbled it up when it was done!

27. Emilie says:

I think this recipe is the perfect example of how simple cooking can be. I used to love the Michelina’s frozen stroganoff when I was a kid. This recipe tastes almost exactly the same and it’s super simple: beef broth, garlic, mushrooms, butter. I added some thyme, salt and pepper.

Best of all, so simple that there are few dishes to clean afterwards. Awesome!

28. Adriann G. says:

We were very poor when I was growing up, so having Hamburger Helper Stronganoff was a big deal when I was younger. This blew HH out of the water, but still brought back a lot of fond memories from eating it with my family. Like some of the other commentors, I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream, and it turned out wonderfully. I also sauteed some chopped onion with the garlic, just because the onion/garlic base is a staple in my house, and I did it without even realizing the recipe didn’t call for onion. I did notice that the smallest bit of salt added some depth – I hadn’t anticipated that because I thought the broth would have enough salt in it. It was good before the salt, and great after. My husband has a personal vendetta against mushrooms, and even he gobbled it up. I definitely enjoyed the leftovers for lunch today, and everyone in the office was commenting on how good it smelled. This website is a gold mine, and I’m enjoying working my way through your recipes! This was super easy, and I loved only having one pot to clean up.

29. Julie C says:

Just made this tonight… my house is in the middle of being painted so I wanted a quick and easy dinner that didn’t dirty up too many dishes and this fit the bill. I too found it a bit bland (I used Swanson reduced sodium beef broth so that’s likely why). I added salt and pepper, but still was missing “something” so I threw in some montreal steak seasoning. It was great after that! As someone else mentioned, this is a great “base” recipe that you can tweak to what you have on hand, add to, take away from etc. The ideas of adding herbs sound great.

• Marie says:

The second time I made this recipe I used Swanson’s reduced sodium beef broth (I had a box on hand I needed to use up) and it definitely made the recipe a lot less savory than with the Better Than Bullion.

• brittany says:

Paprika will really jazz it up, too.

30. Lalita says:

Made this for dinner tonight and it was yummy. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. It’s a keeper :) Thank you. I also bought the Better Than Bouillon stuff today since the store had $1.00 off coupon. Will go back and get more while that deal is on. Real handy to have. Thank you Budget Bytes :)

31. Katy W says:

I made this tonight and overall it was good…I didn’t use ground beef, I used the stir fry beef strips and just cut them up into bite-sized pieces. I used a cheap brand of beef broth (more water than beef flavor) so the flavor was a bit lacking–had add salt and pepper to the pot. Also, I used fat free sour cream, and compared to other stroganoffs I have had, there isn’t a huge difference, I just had to use more than what your recipe said. Pretty solid recipe–thanks for sharing. :) Tomorrow I am making the Italian Wonderpot–cannot WAIT!!

32. Marie says:

I made this a few days ago and it was delicious. I used no-fat sour cream, baby bella mushrooms and whole wheat bowtie pasta. I added another cup of beef brother (BtB!) because the noodles absorbed a lot more of the moisture, and I had to cook it for 8 minutes more than the recipe called for, because of the noodles I used. It was a long 8 minutes of anticipation. My husband told me twice while eating it that I need to make it again.

33. I didn’t think it would ever be possible for one of your recipes to top your teriyaki meatballs as my favorite, but, wow, has this done so! I haven’t had beef stroganoff since I had it out of a box as a kid, but omg this is pretty much just as easy and is 5000000% better (exact number)!

Made it twice in one week, ate it all in one sitting with the bf… probably will be making it every week for the rest of my life. Don’t know what exactly makes it so amazing, but something sure does!!

34. @twsherpa says:

This was a hit for my partner and the kids!!!!! A

35. Made this dish and it turned delicious. But I live in Singapore and the cost of mushrooms and beef made this cost over 10 USD for the whole dish.

36. Oh, I also added Italian seasoning(thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, sage) to the ground beef. This recipe is great with a few tweaks. I used chicken broth because that’s all I had on hand. Truly good food.

Thanks for the inspiration, Beth.

37. Made this and used plain Cabot yogurt instead of sour cream. I added onions to the garlic and butter. Added a 1/2 cup of frozen peas to the sauteed beef. I used whole wheat elbow macaroni instead of egg noddles. Added parmesan and asiago cheese at the end. Turned out so good, make you wanna smack your mama! Simply Scrumptious

38. Made this for my family last night. Added an onion and some extra spices (paprika, thyme, marjoram and sage) and threw some broccoli in to steam with the noodles. Easy, tasty and fairly healthy one-pot (skillet) meal.

39. Maisoon says:

This recipe is amazing, so simple and tasted amazing, my 2 yrs old loved it. This is the second recpie I try from your site this week, and now my whole family are looking forword to dinner time.

40. I’ve made this recipe this week and I’m mouthwatering right now just by thinking about it. Pasta is my favourite food and this is already in my top 10 ways to cook it. Top 5 too. Even if ground beef is much more expensive in Spain, it makes it up for mushrooms being super inexpensive so it fits in my budget. Thanks for this awesome recipe Beth!!

41. Sara says:

My whole family loved it! My only change was buying pre-sliced mushrooms ;) I’m lazy like that and they were the same weight/cost as the whole ones. This has definitely moved from my “Dinner (TRY)” board to my “Dinner (SUCCESS)” board on Pinterest. I have to say I love Budget Bytes…it makes my meal planning on Sunday morning so easy!

42. Kendalyn says:

Made this for dinner tonight and it was super yummy! I have never been able to find a beef stroganoff recipe that was both good and easy. This one is perfect!

43. Jennifer says:

Just tried this and I made the sausage kale skillet yesterday. I loved them both. Your recipes are awesome. I’m living in a temporary apartment right now, so your one pot dishes are a lifesaver. I can still feed everyone budget friendly and healthy dinners even without all my usual kitchen tools. Please post more!

44. Jennifer says:

I was enthusiastic about trying this recipe, but it came out bland and greasy, and the minced garlic had waaaay overcooked by the time the noodles were done. I ended up spiking it with Worcestershire and anchovy paste in an attempt to amp up the umami and de-bland it, but was only partially successful.

I made a few substitutions that I thought were minor: Greek yogurt for sour cream, Swanson beef broth for “Better Than Bouillon”, 2x beef instead of half mushrooms. Perhaps it works out better if you stick to the recipe completely faithfully, but my experience was not good.

45. Randi says:

I seem to remember worchestshire sauce in the “old school” recipe…. Anyone else?

• Randi says:

Made this and doubled it. It was wonderful! Liked it better after it cooled and got thick. And so very easy!

46. Brenna says:

Hello, regular rotation ~ here’s another for ya. Will be adding broccoli for one night, kale for another, green beans for yet another, etc. Super supper!! Thanks again!!

47. Katie says:

Made this tonight and it was both phenomenal and astonishingly simple to make. Substituted 0% Greek yogurt and I loved the tang it added.

48. Do you think i can just double this recipe?

49. mangomama says:

This worked great with whole wheat noodles — and, I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream…also sautéed an onion with the garlic…we enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe.

50. Charlotte says:

I made a vegetarian version of this using Quorn imitation beef mince, and without the garlic, because I’m an airhead who forgot to add it. I also added a little frozen spinach, and a can of tomatoes. It was delicious, and I’ve been eating the leftovers ever since! I’ve made one pot stroganoff before, but using egg noodles instead of normal pasta really kicks it up a notch. I’ll definitely be making this again!

51. Beth,

Thanks for the recipe. Made the stroganoff two nights in a row and it was delicious! First night I made it your way and the second night I modified it just slightly. I cut the butter in half from 2Tbsp to 1Tbsp and reduced the light sour cream from 1/3c to 1/4c. I also sauteed 1/4 cup of chopped yellow onion with the garlic. Both ways were awesome! Making the vegan red beans and rice tonight. Keep pumpin’ out the killer recipes…

Doc

52. Mari says:

Winner! Winner! Beefy Dinner! I assumed this took onion and I had chopped it and them realized it didn’t call for one but I threw it in anyway. This is a fabulous pasta dish and the leftover heat well. I may try making it with ground turkey next time. Yum! And thank you!!

53. Hally says:

My husband made this for me last night. Even though he hates using recipes, he loved this one! It was so easy to follow and used only one pot. Magic! It was super delicious and I gladly brought the leftovers for lunch today!

54. Angel says:

Made this last night with all mushrooms and vegetable Better Than Bouillon. Added about a cup of diced onion when I sautéed the garlic, and added some thyme, marjoram, sage, and black pepper to the sauce since that’s what I remember my mom adding to hers. :) It totally hit the spot! I had leftovers today for lunch, and I’m looking forward to having the other container in the freezer for tomorrow.

55. Yep. Making this for the 2nd time this week.

56. Kristen says:

Made this tonight with almost no changes at all. Fiance was totally wowed. I love the simplicity!

57. I did not have egg noodles, so I tried it with regular noodles. I turned out very nice, just had to add a lot more water

58. DianaG says:

Am I the only one who had a problem getting the noodles to cook? I found it difficult to get them immersed in the beef stock with the ground beef and mushrooms in the way. By the end, they were falling apart from all the stirring required to keep them from burning to the bottom. Any suggestions for the next try?

• Diana, they actually don’t have to be fully submerged to cook. The lid holds in the steam and the noodles poking out of the water get cooked by the steam. You do still need to stir a few times, but yes, over stirring will make them break down. I hope you try it again :)

59. I have tried several stroganoff recipes and this is by far the best basic one I have found. It was delicious and quick. I agree with a lot of the other comments that there is a lot of room for experimentation and personalization.

60. We love this dish and it looks a lot like my beef stroganoff:

61. adrienne says:

Heck yes comfort food o clock. We just had MORE snow and I am so making this. Thanks for this!

62. Rachael says:

NAILED IT! Also made it with ground turkey and vegetable Better Than Bullion, as my fam doesn’t do beef. Thanks!

63. Suzanne says:

This looks delightful. Would the leftovers freeze ok? Not too sure about the sour cream sauce withstanding the freezer.

• I didn’t have any left to test freezing, so I’m not sure if the sour cream will break down or not. The pasta tends to absorb a lot of the sauce during storage, so there might not be enough sauce to really separate.

• Suzanne says:

Thanks for responding! I made it (added onion in step 1) and it was as delightful as I expected it to be. I did freeze one portion because it didn’t look very sauce-y so I think it will hold up ok.
        Thanks for all the great recipes and hints. Your site is my first stop whenever I need a recipe and you never disappoint. I love the new cookbook, too!

64. Amanda Mananda says:

So, I normally wouldn’t comment twice, but I actually made this tonight. It was DELICIOUS. It’s all the taste and comfort of stroganoff without the added hassle of working with more complicated ingredients. And it made up FAST. I served it with steamed broccoli, buttered peas, and a tossed salad with tomato/cucumber, and I was in the kitchen less than an hour (including preparation).

We actually used to eat a fair amount of stroganoff growing up. I like it when it’s made with tenderloin or other sliced cuts of steak, but it’s really easy for the meat to get tough. On that note, I actually really loved using ground beef! Way more beef flavor in every bite, plus I was able to use 93/7 lean to keep it a bit lighter. And cooking the noodles in the beef broth? Just fantastic. It really concentrates the flavor (which I feel gets a little muddied when you serve it atop plain egg noodles cooked in water).

Next time, though, I’m definitely adding a bit of onion with the garlic. Other recipes reference adding dry or dijon mustard, fresh herbs, and/or wine — and I think there’s plenty of room for experimentation and enhancement. But, even as written above, it’s easily made its way into the dinner rotation. -:D

65. This was dinner tonight, though we went all beef / no mushrooms. Kiddo gave it a thumbs up, which is half the battle. Now here’s hoping hubby likes it when he gets home!

66. Julie says:

Made it for dinner last night… very easy and good! Thank you! Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch :)

67. Thanks for another great easy recipe! Even my toddler ate this. I used bowtie noodles and it turned out fine. They took about 15 minutes in a deep saute pan. Thanks again!

68. I am making this tonight, and I bought ground turkey instead of beef. I’m adding some frozen peas too, just for fun. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

69. Melody says:

Do you think I could substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream?

• Some people use the two interchangeably, but personally I don’t like to. I feel like they have very different flavors – the yogurt is much more acidic and not nearly as creamy as sour cream.

70. Carla sue says:

Made this dish last night, was easy, fast and very tasty! I added a bit of onion as well, was liked by all! thanks for the great idea and recipe

71. The kids liked this, even the picky one. :) I added an onion to the mix. Everything turned out great. Thanks again.

72. Christina says:

Your one pot meals are genius! I did this veggie style by doubling the mushrooms and using the mushroom better than bullion. I threw in some sun-dried tomatoes and parsley. This was sooo good and so quick! Thank you!

73. Made this for dinner tonight – used more beef and less mushrooms (personal taste). It was delicious! Thanks for the quick and easy recipe, Beth!

74. Daniela says:

I wonder if I could use greek yogurt instead of the sour cream…it’s all I have in my fridge right now!

75. Jessica says:

This was ah-mazing! I haven’t had beef stroganoff since I was a kid, and even then it was always out of a box. I wanted to try this out because it looked pretty simple and I needed to get rid of some egg noodles. Sooo good! I also sauteed some zucchini for a side and it went really well with it.

I am new to your blog and I am so excited to try your recipes. I’ve got my eye on those strawberry white chocolate scones next! ;)

76. Amanda Mananda says:

I will march right alongside you and submit my own commercial-style endorsement for Better Than Bouillon! I can’t buy boxed or canned anymore. The price difference is too significant.

Our Costco sells the large jars of organic chicken base. It makes, like … 76 cups and costs a little under $7. Granted, many people will say that nothing beats homemade, but not everyone has the time or supplies to make/store their own stock. When you consider price, storage space, and convenience, Better Than Bouillon is really the second-best thing to making your own, in my opinion.

I had never heard of it up until I found your website. Now it’s a kitchen staple, and it saves us a ton of coin — especially since soup is one of my favorite meals. So, thanks, Beth. -:)

77. Aisha says:

Can I add onion or onion powder? All the other recipes I’ve seen for stroganoff use them

78. Leighanne J says:

Made this tonight, so YUMMY! I added some chopped up dill pickles with about 5 minutes cooking time left. They added a nice zing!!!

79. Danielle says:

Do you have any suggestions for a cut of beef other than ground? I’m always uncertain which beef to buy for a recipe that calls for ground. My husband refuses to eat any sort of ground meat. (Believe me, it’s annoying)

• I’ll be honest, I don’t cook with beef often. This dish cooks quickly, so you want to steer clear of anything listed as stew meat. Stew meat is rather tough and is meant for long, slow cooking methods that can soften up the connective tissue.

• Top sirloin would be a good choice for this–it’s what I have always used in the past for stroganoff. Slice it thin against the grain and cook it quickly so it doesn’t dry out and toughen up. I like it ’cause it’s nice and lean, but it’s not a cheap cut, unfortunately.

Best of luck, Danielle.

• Another good quick-cooking, tender beef cut is blade steak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_steak). Because you have to cut around to remove the tough central line of connective tissue, it’s often cheaper than top sirloin.

80. Neskya says:

We called something very similar to this “Poor man’s stroganoff” in our house — we also do “Poor man’s pepper steak” too! Pepper steak is almost the same thing, but you put peppers in instead of mushrooms and add some Worcestershire sauce. I get my beef and chicken base I from a local restaurant supply – it is a lot cheaper here than “Better than Bouillion”

81. Looks so simple and so delicious. I’ll definitely be trying this. I love that you put the egg noodle right in the pot and avoided washing another pot. Hee Hee! I’m always looking for great beef meals since we have several cows and always have a freezer full of beef.

82. I love one-pot meals and we always seem to have ground beef! This looks perfect.

83. Karen says:

I’ve been making a similar version of this for awhile now and can attest to its deliciousness! I suggest adding a bit of paprika and fresh (or dried) rosemary or thyme to kick it up a notch! Love these one pot meals!

• Julia says:

I am making this now and decided to take a look through the comments to see if anyone else suggested paprika. I thought paprika was a major component of Stroganoff. I’m gonna add a few shakes myself :)

84. Kelsie says:

Can’t wait to try this! Stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes; and I really like your one dishes.

85. Bryn says:

This looks delicious. Can you tell me how the leftovers are? I have tried a couple of different one pot pasta dishes and the noodles get a bit gluey. Maybe the egg noodles work better….

• Hmm, I wouldn’t say they were gluey, but some of the sauce does absorb into the noodles, so it’s not quite as “saucy” as it was when it was fresh. Still totally YUM, though! :)

• Natalie says:

Made this TWICE this week! I don’t have a microwave , but this reheated nicely with about ¼ of an inch of water in the bottom of the pot on my stove. Re-heat on medium-low and stir. Not gluey at all!

86. Cara says:

Love better than bouillon! It’s so handy!

Do you think using half ground beef and half lentils (instead of mushrooms) would change the taste a lot?

• It might make it taste more earthy, but most of the flavor comes from the broth anyway. I find that button mushrooms don’t really add that much flavor to dishes.

• Dustbunny says:

I was going to suggest chickpeas instead of meat.

87. Jessica says:

This has nothing to do with that delicious-looking stroganoff, but I just found this link for home-made sriracha and I thought, I bet Beth could make this perfect. http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/sriracha/

88. This looks pretty awesome and I’m totally putting on the list for next week’s menu! I also use Better than Bullion instead of buying broth. LOVE IT. It’s the best!

89. Emma says:

this looks so good! can’t wait to try it! can I ask you a question about better than bullion? the instructions for it day to dissolve the bouillon in boiling water, do you think that’s necessary or do you just stir it up in room temperature/warm/hot water?

• Great question! I wondered about that too.

• Shani says:

What I usually do is throw some water in the microwave. Sense you have to keep the bouillon in the fridge, it does have to warm up to dissolve.

If I’m using a dish that already requires boiling water for pasta or whatever, I’ll just take a cup of that already boiled water and add the bullion.

• Kathryn says:

I use better than bullion all the time and I just use super hot tap water and stir until everything is dissolved.

• I always put a small amount of boiling water in a measuring cup and dissolve the required amount of B than B in it.