One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Guess what time it is? Comfort-food-o’clock!

This is yet another “better than the box” meal. It’s like hamburger helper stroganoff, but homemade. And guess what? It’s still super fast, easy, and requires only one pot.

I used half ground beef and half mushrooms just for fun (the beef was actually less expensive per pound than the mushrooms), but you could do all mushroom or all beef if your heart so desires. If you’re doing a vegetarian version with all mushrooms, you can use mushroom or vegetable broth to replace the beef broth.

So, let’s just get straight to it because I’ve got some delicious, creamy, and savory noodles waitin’ for me in the kitchen!

(please excuse the blurry pics, it was super dark and rainy the day I made this.)

One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

One Pot Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Serves: 4 (about 1 cup each)
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.24
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.16
  • ½ lb. ground beef $1.94
  • 8 oz. fresh button mushrooms $1.99
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour $0.01
  • 2 cups beef broth $0.30*
  • 8 oz. wide egg noodles $0.90**
  • ⅓ cup sour cream $0.67
  1. Mince the garlic. Add the garlic and butter to a large pot or skillet and sauté for one to two minutes over medium heat, or until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add the ground beef and continue to sauté until it is fully browned.
  2. While the beef is browning, slice the mushrooms. Once the beef has browned, add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft. Add the flour and sauté for about two minutes more. The flour will coat the bottom of the pot and this is okay.
  3. Add the beef broth to the pot and stir to dissolve the flour off of the bottom. Add the uncooked egg noodles. Place a lid on the pot and allow the liquid to come up to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and allow the pot to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the noodles are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed (keep the lid on while simmering). You'll need to stir every few minutes to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Make sure the liquid is simmering the entire time. If not, increase the heat slightly.
  4. Once the noodles are tender, stir in the sour cream. Serve hot.
Notes
*I use Better Than Bouillon brand soup base to make broth instead of buying canned or boxed broths.

**Using regular pasta instead of egg noodles may produce different results. Egg noodles are not quite as thick or heavy as regular pasta.

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

Step by Step Photos

Garlic and Butter

Begin by sautéing 2 cloves of minced garlic in 2 Tbsp of butter until soft (1-2 minutes). You can use a large pot or large skillet, as long as it is big enough to hold all of the pasta AND has a lid (the lid will be used later).

Brown Beef

Next, add the ground beef and continue to sauté until it is fully browned.

Slice mushrooms

While the beef is browning, slice the mushrooms. At my local grocery store they sell 8 oz. packages of whole or sliced mushrooms, both for the same price. I prefer to slice my own because the pre-sliced variety are too thick and you’ll get more mushroom pieces if you slice them thinner.

Flour

Once the beef is browned, add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft. Once the mushrooms are soft, add 2 Tbsp flour and continue to sauté for one to two minutes more. As you’re stirring and cooking, the flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pot. This is A-OK because it will dissolve off in the next step. Just make sure the heat is not so high that the flour begins to burn. That is bad.

Beef Broth

I know I sound like a big commercial for Better Than Bouillon, but it really is the best thing ever. It stays good in the fridge for almost forever and you can mix up as much or as little broth that you need at any given time. For this recipe, I mixed up 2 cups of broth.

Deglaze

Add the beef broth to the pot and stir until all of the flour is dissolved off of the bottom of the pot.

Uncooked Noodles

Add 8 oz. of uncooked wide egg noodles. Egg noodles have a different texture than regular pasta, so if you try to substitute regular pasta, you may get slightly different results. Place a lid on the pot and allow the broth to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes (with the lid in place), or until the noodles are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid. You’ll want to stir every few minutes to keep the pasta from sticking. Make sure the broth is simmering the whole time. If it stops, turn the heat up just a tad.

Cooked NoodlesAnd after about ten minutes, the pasta is fully cooked. If you notice in the previous picture, not all of the pasta is submerged in the broth. That’s okay because the lid traps the steam and helps cook the portions that are not submerged. Plus, stirring every few minutes makes sure that everything gets good exposure to the hot liquid.

Sour Cream

Lastly, stir in 1/3 cup sour cream until the whole deal is nice and creamy and delicious. I used light sour cream because I barely notice the difference between regular and light, but I wouldn’t suggest using fat free.

Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff

And now it’s ready to devour! I added some chopped parsley just for the photo… brown pasta isn’t all that visually appealing, but once you taste it O.M.G!

1. I love your site and this particular recipe was great. I added sriracha when serving (because I LOVE IT) and to my surprise it was not too overwhelming.
    I thoroughly enjoy your site, especially the step by step with pictures. I’m not a good cook and I need to follow recipes (otherwise I just start freaking out and messing everything up because I throw in as many spices as possible) and your recipes are very easy to follow Thank you!

2. Megan says:

This is REALLY good! I love beef stroganoff and this was so easy, and the clean up was a breeze. In my opinion it needed a few tweaks. I added probably a teaspoon of salt and some fresh cracked pepper (I used beef stock instead of better than bouillon so that could have been the issue with the salt) I still felt it needed a little “something” so I added about a tbs. of soy sauce. which made it PERFECT! So good! Hubby and I devoured it (him especially). There is none left and we are happy.

3. Judy says:

This was DELISH!!!! Will definitely do this again! I too added onion and some additional spices (salt, pepper and thyme). My husband raved about his just in the cooking stages and gobbled it up when it was done!

4. Emilie says:

I think this recipe is the perfect example of how simple cooking can be. I used to love the Michelina’s frozen stroganoff when I was a kid. This recipe tastes almost exactly the same and it’s super simple: beef broth, garlic, mushrooms, butter. I added some thyme, salt and pepper.

Best of all, so simple that there are few dishes to clean afterwards. Awesome!

5. Adriann G. says:

We were very poor when I was growing up, so having Hamburger Helper Stronganoff was a big deal when I was younger. This blew HH out of the water, but still brought back a lot of fond memories from eating it with my family. Like some of the other commentors, I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream, and it turned out wonderfully. I also sauteed some chopped onion with the garlic, just because the onion/garlic base is a staple in my house, and I did it without even realizing the recipe didn’t call for onion. I did notice that the smallest bit of salt added some depth – I hadn’t anticipated that because I thought the broth would have enough salt in it. It was good before the salt, and great after. My husband has a personal vendetta against mushrooms, and even he gobbled it up. I definitely enjoyed the leftovers for lunch today, and everyone in the office was commenting on how good it smelled. This website is a gold mine, and I’m enjoying working my way through your recipes! This was super easy, and I loved only having one pot to clean up.

6. Julie C says:

Just made this tonight… my house is in the middle of being painted so I wanted a quick and easy dinner that didn’t dirty up too many dishes and this fit the bill. I too found it a bit bland (I used Swanson reduced sodium beef broth so that’s likely why). I added salt and pepper, but still was missing “something” so I threw in some montreal steak seasoning. It was great after that! As someone else mentioned, this is a great “base” recipe that you can tweak to what you have on hand, add to, take away from etc. The ideas of adding herbs sound great.

• Marie says:

The second time I made this recipe I used Swanson’s reduced sodium beef broth (I had a box on hand I needed to use up) and it definitely made the recipe a lot less savory than with the Better Than Bullion.

7. Lalita says:

Made this for dinner tonight and it was yummy. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. It’s a keeper :) Thank you. I also bought the Better Than Bouillon stuff today since the store had $1.00 off coupon. Will go back and get more while that deal is on. Real handy to have. Thank you Budget Bytes :)

8. Katy W says:

I made this tonight and overall it was good…I didn’t use ground beef, I used the stir fry beef strips and just cut them up into bite-sized pieces. I used a cheap brand of beef broth (more water than beef flavor) so the flavor was a bit lacking–had add salt and pepper to the pot. Also, I used fat free sour cream, and compared to other stroganoffs I have had, there isn’t a huge difference, I just had to use more than what your recipe said. Pretty solid recipe–thanks for sharing. :) Tomorrow I am making the Italian Wonderpot–cannot WAIT!!

9. Marie says:

I made this a few days ago and it was delicious. I used no-fat sour cream, baby bella mushrooms and whole wheat bowtie pasta. I added another cup of beef brother (BtB!) because the noodles absorbed a lot more of the moisture, and I had to cook it for 8 minutes more than the recipe called for, because of the noodles I used. It was a long 8 minutes of anticipation. My husband told me twice while eating it that I need to make it again.

10. I didn’t think it would ever be possible for one of your recipes to top your teriyaki meatballs as my favorite, but, wow, has this done so! I haven’t had beef stroganoff since I had it out of a box as a kid, but omg this is pretty much just as easy and is 5000000% better (exact number)!

Made it twice in one week, ate it all in one sitting with the bf… probably will be making it every week for the rest of my life. Don’t know what exactly makes it so amazing, but something sure does!!

11. @twsherpa says:

This was a hit for my partner and the kids!!!!! A

12. Made this dish and it turned delicious. But I live in Singapore and the cost of mushrooms and beef made this cost over 10 USD for the whole dish.

13. Oh, I also added Italian seasoning(thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, sage) to the ground beef. This recipe is great with a few tweaks. I used chicken broth because that’s all I had on hand. Truly good food.

Thanks for the inspiration, Beth.

14. Made this and used plain Cabot yogurt instead of sour cream. I added onions to the garlic and butter. Added a 1/2 cup of frozen peas to the sauteed beef. I used whole wheat elbow macaroni instead of egg noddles. Added parmesan and asiago cheese at the end. Turned out so good, make you wanna smack your mama! Simply Scrumptious

15. Made this for my family last night. Added an onion and some extra spices (paprika, thyme, marjoram and sage) and threw some broccoli in to steam with the noodles. Easy, tasty and fairly healthy one-pot (skillet) meal.

16. Maisoon says:

This recipe is amazing, so simple and tasted amazing, my 2 yrs old loved it. This is the second recpie I try from your site this week, and now my whole family are looking forword to dinner time.