“Everything” White Bean Dip

Watch out hummus. You officially have some competition, and the new dip in town doesn’t require tahini.

White beans (navy or cannellini) are great for making dip because their flavor is so neutral. You can add just about anything and make it taste good. I kept the base of this dip simple with lemon, garlic, and smoked paprika, then left all the major flavor responsibility to the crunchy toppings. If you don’t want to purchase the ingredients for the crunchy, flakey toppings, you flavor the dip by stirring in some herbs, like thyme, rosemary, or even fresh parsley or cilantro. It’s very flexible and you won’t have to go searching for tahini!

You can use this dip for crackers, pitas, or vegetables, OR use it as a sandwich spread. Did I mention that it’s versatile?

One more note. Fresh garlic is awesome, as we all know, but sometimes I don’t like to breathe dragon-fire garlic breath for 24 hours, so I use garlic powder instead of fresh. You can use one clove of fresh garlic in this recipe to replace the garlic powder listed. Also, I improvised on the topping a little bit. Traditional “everything” toppings include dehydrated garlic, but I forgot to buy it. :P So, I worked with what I had and added a pinch of red pepper flakes for fun. BECAUSE IMPROVISING IS FUN!

“Everything” White Bean Dip

EVERYTHING TOPPING
  • ½ tsp dehydrated onion flakes $0.05
  • ½ tsp poppy seeds $0.05
  • ½ tsp sesame seeds $0.05
  • Coarse ground pepper (10-15 cranks of a mill) $0.05
  • Pinch red pepper flakes (optional) $0.02
  1. Drain and rinse the white beans. Add the beans, olive oil, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, and 2 Tbsp of water to a food processor. Process until smooth, adding a touch more water if needed. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired (I used 2 Tbsp, but I like it tart).
  2. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping (dehydrated onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, pepper, red pepper flakes). Sprinkle some of the topping over the bean dip and replenish with more after the top layer has been eaten.

Everything White Bean Dip

Step by Step Photos

White Beans

Start by draining and rinsing two 15-ounce cans of white beans (navy or cannellini). Pour those into your food processor. My little food processor is awesome. It’s small, but it’s a work horse and it wasn’t very expensive (relatively speaking). This is the food processor that I have.

Also add 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 Tbsp lemon juice (add more after tasting, if desired), 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Oh, also add a couple tablespoons of water to help get it going.

Smooth

Process until smooth, adding a touch more water if needed. Give it a taste and see if you want more lemon juice (I used 2 Tbsp total).

ToppingsIn a small bowl, stir together a 1/2 tsp dehydrated onion, 1/2 tsp poppy seeds, 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, a generous dose of coarse ground pepper, and some red pepper flakes (if desired).

Everything White Bean Dip

After transferring the white bean dip to a bowl, add some of the crunchy toppings. After the top layer of dip has been eaten and all of the toppings are gone, replenish with the rest of the toppings. The crunchiness is a fun contrast to the smooth dip.

Everything White Bean Dip

1. kelly dalton says:

I’m a library cataloger and I’m so excited to be cataloging your book right now! I’m still going to buy it, because I’ve gotten SO much out of your blog–but yay! Hitting the shelves!

2. Yoli says:

Looks awesome & I can’t wait to try this weekend!! How long would this keep in the fridge?

3. Tara says:

White beans are my “secret” to making smooth hummus. If you make your regular hummus recipe with white beans instead of chickpeas people will rave about how smooth and creamy it is!

4. Got the book today. It looks great. Congrats. I love soup with cannellini beans, so I will be trying this.

5. This looks so great! The only thing stopping me from making hummus is I don’t know where to get tahini, so I’m psyched to make this instead.

For anyone who wants to make this with their own cooked dried cannellini: you cannot cook cannellini beans in a crockpot. They must be boiled for at least 20 min to neutralize a mild toxin they have that causes stomach upset. The cafe I eat at found this out the hard way when they debuted a crockpot white bean chili.

• Rebecca says:

I don’t know where you live, obvs, but I live in the very rural midwest, and I can find it at the closest Meijer (def not Kroger, maybe Walmart) in the international aisle. Much more expensive than when I lived a bit closer to any part of the middle eastern community….

6. Kerri says:

Definitely going to try this recipe! I used white beans in a quesadilla once and was not happy with the flavour. Time to give white beans another try!

I’m supposed to receive your book today – it’s out for delivery right now! So excited to take a look at it.

7. I have a can of cannellini beans that I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with – this sounds perfect! I can’t wait to try it!

8. Your blog has been a go to for me when i’m searching for a great new recipe for awhile, thanks so much! This looks DE-lish!

9. Margaret says:

Oooh, I’ve been making this in lieu of hummus for a while, without all those fascinating toppings, though… Definitely going to have to try that out.

If you don’t have a food processor or blender, it’s still possible to make this with a stick (immersion) blender. First mash up the beans as much as possible with the oil and lemon juice, then when you can’t make any more progress there, it should be broken up enough for the immersion blender to take over.

10. susanne says:

i’ve made this several times, after first enjoying it in a wonderful san francisco restaurant. i kept playing around with ingredients trying to recapture the rich flavor. my best version uses the crock pot, set to ‘high’. (no troubles with stomach problems so far). i put a large bundle of fresh herbs in with the beans and water to cook–usually 6 or 8 parsley stems, a few stems of marjoram, a few of thyme, and one stem of rosemary. i tie these together with an onion leaf and a garlic leaf. the beans come out tasting fabulous just as they are. then add your olive oil and mash, etc.
    haven’t tried the toppings, and i love the idea! the creamy texture is lovely, but it does need some crunch and color.

11. Annamal says:

Awesome recipe thanks.

My way of solving the garlic breath problem has been to keep some roast garlic around always to throw in.

Every time I’m cooking potatoes,kumara(sweet potatoes) or pumpkin, I’ll throw in a couple of heads of garlic with the tips chopped off and pull them out when they’ve become sweet and mushy and keep them in the fridge til I have a dip or soup to use them in.

Not only does this give me roast garlic, but it gives the rest of the veges a pleasant garlic taste.

P.s. Thank you so much for your site, I’m living on baked oatmeal now.

P.p.s it might be worth trying some savoury baked oatmeal (my current favourite is sweetcorn and chilli).

12. Twyla says:

Sounds yum, but my white beans didnt do so hot in the garden, maybe cuz i like black beans so much more and planted three rows black to one white. :shrug: garlic tip: i dont like powdered garlic and dont like to chop garlic cloves either … So … I found this,awesome glass jar of prechopped garlic in the produce section …. Totally awesome. One mini jar is like 3 bucks, and one giant jar (which is like ten mini jars at almost a kilogram) was 4.50

13. Kimberly Hedges says:

Looks AWESOME! Can’t wait to give it a whirl.

14. Tom H. says:

This came out fantastic. The smoked paprika adds a nice depth of flavor in place of the tahini. I didn’t have any of the ingredients on hand for the “crunchy” topping, so I instead diced some roasted red peppers and added them on top along with a few more sprinkles of the smoked paprika for color. I also wanted to suggest Trader Joe’s California Garlic Powder – it has a tangier, brighter flavor than your standard garlic powder.

15. I had some left over white beans from dinner a few nights ago and gave this recipe a whirl. My husband demolished it! :) I have a 5-pound bag of cannellini beans so I’m going to make up a double batch of this dip and freeze it. Yum!

16. Riann says:

My four year old loved this so much she licked her bowl clean. Kinda gross but it was a major hit at our house! Thank you!

17. Lesa says:

I love white bean dip and enjoy eating it with roasted sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries. Delish!

One thing I thought I’d mention is that I’m surprised at the assumption that you can’t make hummus without tahini. Maybe it doesn’t qualify as “hummus” without it? I’ve been making my hummus sans tahini for awhile now – I just bump up the garlic, add a touch of salt and some cumin for additional flavor. Super good and less fat than with tahini.

• I guess it’s a personal preference. Hummus without tahini to me is just no where near the same. The tahini totally makes it for me :) (and I can’t handle the peanut butter sub, either :P )

18. This is one of my favorite things to come out of your website! I has become my new “go to” dip. Sooo much easier than hummus and just as – if not more! – delicious.