Homemade Chili Seasoning

I made this basic chili a few weeks ago and in I used my homemade chili seasoning blend. I wanted to post the blend by itself to highlight the fact that it can be used for so much more than just chili!

My favorite non-chili use for chili seasoning is roasting vegetables. Just toss some veggies (potatoes, broccoli, whatever) in some olive oil and chili seasoning, then roast in a 400 degree oven until they’re tender. SO GOOD. You can also sprinkle this seasoning into your mac n’ cheese, or use it to coat chicken or fish before grilling. I mean, what can’t you do with chili seasoning?!

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Homemade Chili Seasoning

• 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp (approximately) freshly ground pepper
  1. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Store in an air-tight container, away from heat and moisture for up to six months.
Notes
Makes enough for one pot of chili (about 6 servings).

The chili powder (first ingredient) is a mild blend of chiles and other spices. Click here for an example.

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Not much of a step by step needed with this one, huh?

1. Crissy says:

I also found this makes a great taco meat seasoning! :)

2. Shirley Solomon Favela says:

Delicious! I have a large crock pot full of chili simmering now. I’m debating on how to eat it – with rice or on a taco salad. Tough choices. :)

3. Nice and simple. Good mix, thanks! I did add about 1/2 teaspoon of oregano just because I like that in my chili.

4. Your making chili seasoning , why are you using chili powder as one of the Ingredients ? should be Chile powder! get to basics!

• diana says:

My bottle of McCormick is spelled “chili” powder. I would be curious to know what brand is spelled “chile”. Also, if you are correcting someone’s spelling, you meant to write “you’re” not your.

• lee746 says:

my powder states Chili powder.

5. vanessa paddison says:

smells good thats for sure!! cant wait to try it :) I didnt put as much salt because I use pork…its too salty on its own :) thank you for sharing your recipe ;)

6. Marta says:

This looks great and the veggie roasting idea is something I’ll have to try! But I just wanted to let you know that you have “gumin” instead of “cumin” in the ingredients list =). I don’t know what gumin is but it didn’t sound delicious =P.

7. I love, love, love using those seasonings in chili. The perfect pairing for chili and also tacos/burritos/etc. Yum!

8. Our chili powder is a lot hotter (not a blend). What amount would you suggest or what substitution would work?

• Hmm, I’m not sure without testing it out. The chili powder I used is the main flavor, so reducing it will change it quite a bit.

9. Emily says:

Perfect timing! Do you know the overall volume this makes? (1/4 cup, etc.) And fyi, “cumin” is spelled wrong in the ingredients list.