Homemade Chili Seasoning

I made this basic chili a few weeks ago and in I used my homemade chili seasoning blend. I wanted to post the blend by itself to highlight the fact that it can be used for so much more than just chili!

My favorite non-chili use for chili seasoning is roasting vegetables. Just toss some veggies (potatoes, broccoli, whatever) in some olive oil and chili seasoning, then roast in a 400 degree oven until they’re tender. SO GOOD. You can also sprinkle this seasoning into your mac n’ cheese, or use it to coat chicken or fish before grilling. I mean, what can’t you do with chili seasoning?!

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Homemade Chili Seasoning

• 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp (approximately) freshly ground pepper
  1. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Store in an air-tight container, away from heat and moisture for up to six months.
Notes
Makes enough for one pot of chili (about 6 servings).

The chili powder (first ingredient) is a mild blend of chiles and other spices. Click here for an example.

Homemade Chili Seasoning

Not much of a step by step needed with this one, huh?

1. Ashley says:

I googled this recipe because I ran out of packets and didn’t feel like running to the store. This was great! I will be using your recipe from now on. Thanks for sharing!

2. Really? How does a chili seasoning website cause so much drama? If you dont like the recipe simply move on to the next site instead of leaving negative remarks simply based on the ingredients listed… Now if you had made it and didnt care for the flavor then your opinion might matter. At the very least your opinion would have been legitimate instead of ignorance. Sheesh

3. Story says:

I normally buy the packs of chili seasoning and forgot this time.. I’m glad I forgot. I found this. With a rather large family I had to triple it because I made extremely large pots. I’ll never buy the packets again. This seasoning was a big hit.

4. Smells awesome. Im making vegetarian chili. And doubled spices for big pot. Plus added a lil more cumin.

5. carolyn says:

Tried this and it is a great combination of spices. I will use this again. Thanks for sharing it.

6. Beth says:

Hi there! I’d love to try this. How many pounds of hamburger will this make? I have five pounds of hamburger for a huge pot of chili. Thanks! :)

• This is about the same as one of those store bought envelopes of chili seasoning, which is usually recommended for one pound of beef. I made a whole pot of chili with one pound, so you might not need to multiply this by five for five pounds of meat if you’re still just making one pot. :)

7. Jimmy says:

I multiplied everything by 48 to make it in bulk so that 1 tsp would become 1 cup.

My question is you say it makes about 1 pot (6 servings), but how many cups is that? Is a serving 1 or 2 cups or something else?

8. Judy Carter says:

Beth:

I am LOVING your website!!! I’ve made so many delicious dishes from your recipes! Thanks so much for all the easy one pot pasta dishes. On a side note, as I was reading the comments AND corrections, my first thought was, “Oh, well, at least she knows she has visitors to her site!” I’m lovin’ it!

9. Crissy says:

I also found this makes a great taco meat seasoning! :)

10. Shirley Solomon Favela says:

Delicious! I have a large crock pot full of chili simmering now. I’m debating on how to eat it – with rice or on a taco salad. Tough choices. :)

11. Nice and simple. Good mix, thanks! I did add about 1/2 teaspoon of oregano just because I like that in my chili.

12. Your making chili seasoning , why are you using chili powder as one of the Ingredients ? should be Chile powder! get to basics!

13. vanessa paddison says:

smells good thats for sure!! cant wait to try it :) I didnt put as much salt because I use pork…its too salty on its own :) thank you for sharing your recipe ;)

14. Marta says:

This looks great and the veggie roasting idea is something I’ll have to try! But I just wanted to let you know that you have “gumin” instead of “cumin” in the ingredients list =). I don’t know what gumin is but it didn’t sound delicious =P.

15. I love, love, love using those seasonings in chili. The perfect pairing for chili and also tacos/burritos/etc. Yum!

16. Our chili powder is a lot hotter (not a blend). What amount would you suggest or what substitution would work?

• Hmm, I’m not sure without testing it out. The chili powder I used is the main flavor, so reducing it will change it quite a bit.

17. Emily says:

Perfect timing! Do you know the overall volume this makes? (1/4 cup, etc.) And fyi, “cumin” is spelled wrong in the ingredients list.