Blueberry Mug Muffin

$0.37 each

The idea for this awesome little recipe came courtesy of Annie, who wrote to tell me that every since she tried The “One” Chocolate Mug Cake, she’s been trying all sorts of mug cakes! Her favorite? Mug pancakes! Annie uses pre-made pancake mix and blueberries to make single serving pancakes! Genius!

I didn’t have any pancake mix on hand so I set out to just make my own. While I was playing chemist in the kitchen, the term “mug muffin” popped into my head and made me giggle so much that I decided I had to use that name for the recipe. …and I guess it’s a little more like a blueberry muffin than a pancake anyway, although I did top it with maple syrup.

I also decided that I need to start calling people “mug muffin,” but I can’t decide if it’s going to be used as a term of endearment or an insult. Feel free to weigh-in in the comments below. I could use the help.

Anyway, mug muffins, let’s get to it!

Blueberry Mug Muffin

Blueberry Mug Muffin

blueberry mug muffin

Author:
Total Cost: $0.37 each
  • ¼ cup flour $0.04
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
  • ¼ tsp baking powder $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp salt $0.01
  • pinch cinnamon $0.01
  • ½ Tbsp butter $0.04
  • 2 Tbsp milk $0.04
  • 1-2 Tbsp frozen blueberries $0.19
  1. In a microwave safe mug, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until well mixed.
  2. Add the butter to the mug and use your fingers to rub or smoosh them together until no large chunks of butter remain and the mixture looks like damp sand (see photos below).
  3. Stir the milk into the butter/flour mixture. It should now resemble a thick muffin batter. If it’s too dry, add a splash more milk. Sprinkle blueberries over top and push them down into the batter. Microwave on high for approximately 90 seconds. Enjoy with a drizzle of maple syrup over top.
Notes
Every microwave is different, so you may have to experiment with the exact cooking time.

You can add a drop or two of vanilla for extra flavor.

I have not tried this with different flour types (whole wheat, gluten free, etc.) or with different milks (almond, soy, etc.) or with oil instead of butter (to make it vegan). These changes will definitely affect the flavor and texture. If you’re experimental and want to give it a shot, please share your results in the comments below. Thanks!

Blueberry Mug MuffinBlueberry Mug Muffin

dry ingredientsFirst mix all of the dry ingredients together in a microwave safe mug (flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon).

add butterOnce the dry ingredients are well mixed, add the butter. I just used the lines on the butter wrapper to estimate a 1/2 tablespoon. It doesn’t have to be exact.

butter flourUse your fingers to rub the flour and butter together until they’re very well mixed and the mixture resembles damp sand. This is the only step that requites a little work, but still it’s only about 1-2 minutes.

milkStir in the milk. You now have a thick batter. If it seems a little TOO thick or your end product seems a bit dense, you can add just a bit more milk. The recipe is flexible – just don’t DOUBLE the milk or anything.

blueberriesSprinkle the blueberries into the mug and then push them down into the batter. Microwave on high for about 90 seconds.

blueberry mug muffinAnd then it’s done! Oh, and the mug will likely be very hot, too, so be careful! Try it with a little maple syrup – it’s amazing!

Blueberry Mug MuffinSee, nice and cakey inside!

Blueberry Mug Muffin GONENOM NOM NOM. All gone. (you don’t want to know how many of these I ate while testing the recipe)

1. Gaya says:

Excellent recipe! Turned out really soft and cakey and spongey! it could do with a little more sugar though! Nevertheless,thank you :)

2. Freddie says:

Tried these today. Doubled the recipe to produce two muffins and added some raisins. Had to add several extra splashes of milk to get the recommended batter consistency. With an old low-power microwave and the extra mug, they needed 3.5 minutes to cook. The flavour was nice, but the muffin consistency was very dry, requiring a lot more syrup than I probably should have had. Bottom line: good to try, but I don’t think I’d do them again.

3. Brittany Bouchez says:

This is the second recipe I tried from you and I absolutely love it. I’ve tried microwave mug cakes in the past and they didn’t work out for me but I really love this recipe! I also love the balsamic honey chicken recipe. I may that way too many times at school over some rice because it was so good and so easy!

4. Tried this with lactose free milk and raspberries. Took 3 mins to cook but otherwise delicious.

5. Roxana PH says:

Great recipe to do with little ones! It requires following directions, measuring, observation and quick gratification specially in rainy afternoons. Great fun. :)

I’ve been using whole wheat flour because that is what I have.
    My son and I like this muffing very much but I was finding it a little bit salty. So today I made it with out salt and loved it!
    Also, first few times I made the muffing in a soup (20oz) mug and I found out that the center of the muffing wouldn’t get cooked. Today, I made it in a tea cup and it came out perfect!.
    Thanks :)

6. Roman says:

This is such a good idea. Just made one for mum and one for me – they were really nice! Thanks!

7. Karen says:

What would the ingredients be if you had pancake or muffin mix to start with? What other ingredients would you add after starting with pancake mix or say “bisquick” ? Not sure what else it would need to work…. love the idea… warm fresh muffin to start your day off….!

• It’s super easy, just add whatever your box of pancake mix or bisquick calls for (in a scaled down proportion, of course). For pancake mixes or bisquick that require eggs, it will be hard to make a single serving portion. But, some mixes only require adding water or milk, so those are perfect for this. :)

8. I got good results with a vegan version – using unsweetened almond milk and earth balance organic spread (doubled the spread quantity).

9. anne says:

how long in a conventional over?

• This recipe isn’t really designed for a conventional oven. You’d probably be better off using a regular muffin recipe.

10. Gail Axtell says:

What wattage is your microwave? Some have 700 watts and are only good for heating up leftovers, and others have 1100, 1200, 1500 watts that you can actually cook with. Mine is 1500 watts, and knowing what yours is will tell me how much to decrease the power on mine. I would love to try the recipe, but first I need to know what power your micro uses.

11. Christine says:

Hi!

We (5yr old daughter and I) made these for breakfast today. We mixed the dry ingredients in a bigger bowl (less mess for little hands) and made the following adjustments:
    Reduced milk by 1/2 tbsp and added 1 tbsp egg white; added vanilla; used fresh bluberries (need paper towel under mug!) and we sprayed the mug with cooking spray.
    These turned out great and even got Daddy’s stamp of approval!

Thanks for the recipe!

12. Catherine says:

I have done a similar cake before, with cocoa powder so I knew I could manage and make this one my own. I put 1/4 cup of rice flour and 1/4 cup of hazelnut flour (homemade). 3Tbsp of almond milk. I melted the butter (1 Tbsp) before adding it, way simpler I think. The rest was identical. More blueberries probably :) . Next time, will cut sugar in half. Very good and festive morning!

13. This is a delicious recipe ! =) I used organic almond milk, wheat flour, sugar free syrup (w NO artificial sweeteners), organic Earth Balance “butter”, & raspberries. Very yummy !! =)

14. Miranda says:

I was so excited to try this! When I looked in my pantry, all I had was whole wheat flour, so I decided to give that a go. I also had margarine instead of butter, and I threw some vanilla in there for fun. So yummy! If you go whole wheat for the whole recipe, just know that it will taste a little nuttier, as wheat flour is somewhat bitter. You can counteract this wit some vanilla (like I did) or a smidge more sugar. So yummy!

15. I love this recipe! I like to add a couple tablespoons of oatmeal and a little extra milk, and I use twice the amount of blueberries.

16. Shangella says:

This recipe was not a winner in our house.
    You have to eat immediately while hot or else its hardens in the cup….

Recipe also lacks baking powder… it didn’t rise much.
    I’ll test it again with a few adjustments… and maybe 80% power on the microwave.

17. I’m under instructions from my other half to make more of these! Brilliant recipe!

18. I made mine with chocolate chips instead of blueberrys (I was craving them) and it turned out DELICIOUS!