Dragon Noodles

Ooooh lawdie. This is my new favorite quick fix! It takes about 15 minutes, is totally rich, flavorful, and SUPER SPICY. Like, “burn a hole through your stomach” spicy. Call me crazy, but sometimes I want that. No, I crave that.

So, this one goes out to all of you heat seekers!

The simple sauce for this recipe uses only pantry staples and perfectly balances sweet, salty, and spicy. The richness of the butter helps smooth everything out, cilantro adds a fresh note, and the green onions lend a savory back note. It all just works and it happens to be incredibly simple. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

I made a small two serving batch because I just wanted something quick and easy. You could easily scale this up, if needed. If you want a heartier dish, try using two eggs rather than just one. Also, I used two tablespoons of butter, which made for a very rich and delicious sauce, but I suspect that it would still be amazing if you cut the butter in half.

If you can’t find the same noodles that I used, don’t fret. You could make this with ramen type noodles or even regular linguine. The noodles are just the vehicle for all of the other yummy ingredients!

Dragon Noodles

Dragon Noodles

dragon noodles

• 4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.20
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
  • 1 large egg $0.25
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp sriracha (rooster sauce) $0.08
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
  • 1 sliced green onion $0.06
  1. Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).
  2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
  3. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
  4. When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!

Dragon Noodles

Spicy Noodles

Lo Mein NoodlesThese are the noodles that I used, but you could use any other kind. Ramen or regular linguine would probably be good too. I used half of this 8 oz. pack for two servings. Cook the noodles according to the package directions.

make sauceWhile waiting for the pasta water to boil, mix up the sauce. Stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.

melt butterMelt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the crushed red pepper to the butter as it melts.

whisk eggWhisk the egg in a bowl…

scramble eggPour the whisked egg into the melted butter and gently stir until cooked. If the noodles are not done cooking yet, turn the heat off on the skillet so that the eggs don’t over cook.

add noodles, sauceWhen the noodles are finished cooking, drain the water off and then add them to the skillet along with the prepared hot sauce.

cilantro green onionsTurn the heat on to low to help evaporate excess moisture and stir everything to coat it in the sauce. Lastly, sprinkle the sliced green onion and cilantro leaves over top. I didn’t even bother to chop the cilantro. Deeeelish!

Dragon Noodles

1. Abby May says:

OBSESSED!

Beth, you blew our minds, once again. My husband and I made this dish for dinner three times last week. We used ramen noodles to save ourselves the grocery trip. Still. Sooooo good.

2. Ashley says:

I made these last night and they were delicious! My picky boyfriend loved them! I had some leftover chicken that I wanted to use up so I threw that in with it. So good! So flavorful! Now I’m sitting at work kicking myself for leaving the leftovers in the refrigerator because I just know it won’t be there when I get home! Luckily, it’s a breeze to make, so I’ll just make it again tonight! :)

3. Dragon Noodles were a huge hit at my house! Next time, we will triple the recipe for our family of four. We even had to make an extra batch for my daughter who came home later since the rest of us had eaten all of the noodles. I wanted to have some chicken lettuce wraps with the noodles. Of course I searched BudgetBytes first, but did not find a recipe. I had to look elsewhere. Beth, maybe you could add a good lettuce wrap recipe.
    What I made was fine, but I am sure that your “tweaks” would make them even better!

4. Sarah says:

I LOVED these!!!!! Thank you.

5. Ashley says:

I make this all the time for my boyfriend. I was gone all this summer, and he kept telling me he couldn’t wait until I came home so he could eat these again :P I add peanut butter to the noodles, and it brings them over the top for filling deliciousness.

6. Christina says:

Great! Fast, delicious, and cheap! Thanks for sharing.

7. Hey Beth! Just wanted to let you know I linked to this and some other of your recipes on my blog! I did not reproduce them. Just mentioned them and linked to each one. :)

8. Conchexpat says:

Another recipe I make all the time! I usually add some frozen veggies. And I find the leftovers to be great, if I leave out the egg.

9. Kayla says:

I make this at least 2 times a week. Bring on the heat!

10. Cara says:

Wow! Other than the noodles (I had Udon), I made this to the recipe, but I tripled it. I want to report a few things. First, it was excellent just the way it was written! Second, it reheats better than I had been lead to expect! My leftovers included some pre-cooked chicken breast, and it was delicious after just a bit of warming! Pro-tip, I kept a zip-top bag with green onion and cilantro to add AFTER reheating!

This recipe is the gift that keeps on giving!! Amazing!!

11. mangomama says:

Delicious! I found organic, whole wheat Lo Mein at Earth Fare– used sesame seed oil instead of butter– and added tofu when sautéing the red pepper flakes…then added chopped red and yellow peppers plus grated carrot before mixing in the noodles and the sauce…topped with peanuts, it was a full and nutrient packed meal.

12. Danyel says:

To the people who have added chicken: when do you add it in and how much, if any, additional sauce do you make? Thank you.

13. Elizabeth says:

I struck out on finding lo mein noodles at Whole Foods AND Jewel. In my last neighborhood, the mom & pop grocer carried them, so I was shocked these big stores didn’t! I checked on Amazon to see how many I’d have to buy to get them there, and your book is the 6th result that comes up for the search “wide lo mein noodles.” How funny is that!

14. Melissa says:

My husband asks for this meal regularly…at times twice a week. Because we use the entire pack of lo mein, I quadruple the sauce and add an additional egg. I also sautee chicken or shrimp in the butter, so we don’t add any extra in the noodles. We top it off with crushed peanuts and cilantro, and it’s an amazing dinner! Thanks, Beth. This rocks!

15. Jordan says:

This recipe is SO easy and simple. Takes few ingredients and everything can be done and ready while bringing the water to a boil and cooking the noodles. My package said to only cook the noodles for 3 minutes, and that was long enough. None of them came out chewy or hard; came out perfect! I have made this 3 times since I first tried it last week. After work and working out, the last thing I want is a lot of clean up and a meal that takes a long time to prep. This recipe is super simple and easy. :)

16. Jeri Ann says:

This Budget Bytes classic is amazing, and I have it down to a science with using 1 pot and 1 bowl for prep. I cook the noodles in a pot, and while they’re draining I scramble the egg in the same pot…and I scramble the egg in the pot instead of a bowl. I make the sauce in a small bowl, then mix everything together in the pot. Voila! Ready to serve and top with cilantro and green onion.

17. I added a tablespoon of peanut butter and a dash of sesame oil. Delicious

18. Richard says:

One of my new go to recipes. I make this all the time, though I have never been able to find the lo mein noodles, I just use linguine noodles per your suggestion. Occasionally I will add slices of chicken breast to it after I marinate them in some sriracha to keep the heat consistent. Awesome job and keep em coming!

19. Rachel says:

We tried these tonight and LOVED them! We made them with ramen noodles instead and doubled the recipe. Next time I think we will try adding some grilled chicken and scaling back on the butter. These were definitely spicy, but not too spicy for me. I will definitely be making them again!

20. Misty says:

I have been planning to make this recipe since you first posted it – finally got around to it tonight. WHOA! Awesome. These noodles are so spicy and amazing.

21. Charlie Smith says:

I just found this blog. I am a 59 year old bachelor / workaholic and have very little time for cooking. But so far the recipes (I’ve tried 3; Greek Chicken, Dragon Noodles, and Chunky Lentil soup) are amazing. Great Flavor, Easy and Fast (not to mention cheap).

Great Blog, Keep up the good work :)

22. Christina says:

I cannot find wide lo mein noodles. Will this still be good with skinny ones?