Dragon Noodles

Ooooh lawdie. This is my new favorite quick fix! It takes about 15 minutes, is totally rich, flavorful, and SUPER SPICY. Like, “burn a hole through your stomach” spicy. Call me crazy, but sometimes I want that. No, I crave that.

So, this one goes out to all of you heat seekers!

The simple sauce for this recipe uses only pantry staples and perfectly balances sweet, salty, and spicy. The richness of the butter helps smooth everything out, cilantro adds a fresh note, and the green onions lend a savory back note. It all just works and it happens to be incredibly simple. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

I made a small two serving batch because I just wanted something quick and easy. You could easily scale this up, if needed. If you want a heartier dish, try using two eggs rather than just one. Also, I used two tablespoons of butter, which made for a very rich and delicious sauce, but I suspect that it would still be amazing if you cut the butter in half.

If you can’t find the same noodles that I used, don’t fret. You could make this with ramen type noodles or even regular linguine. The noodles are just the vehicle for all of the other yummy ingredients!

Dragon Noodles

Dragon Noodles

dragon noodles

• 4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.20
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
  • 1 large egg $0.25
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp sriracha (rooster sauce) $0.08
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
  • 1 sliced green onion $0.06
  1. Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).
  2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
  3. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
  4. When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!

Dragon Noodles

Spicy Noodles

Lo Mein NoodlesThese are the noodles that I used, but you could use any other kind. Ramen or regular linguine would probably be good too. I used half of this 8 oz. pack for two servings. Cook the noodles according to the package directions.

make sauceWhile waiting for the pasta water to boil, mix up the sauce. Stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.

melt butterMelt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the crushed red pepper to the butter as it melts.

whisk eggWhisk the egg in a bowl…

scramble eggPour the whisked egg into the melted butter and gently stir until cooked. If the noodles are not done cooking yet, turn the heat off on the skillet so that the eggs don’t over cook.

add noodles, sauceWhen the noodles are finished cooking, drain the water off and then add them to the skillet along with the prepared hot sauce.

cilantro green onionsTurn the heat on to low to help evaporate excess moisture and stir everything to coat it in the sauce. Lastly, sprinkle the sliced green onion and cilantro leaves over top. I didn’t even bother to chop the cilantro. Deeeelish!

Dragon Noodles

1. These are the bomb. So quick, easy (and easy to modify by adding chicken/veg/whatever you have on hand) and delicious, perfect alternative to takeout. Thank you Beth!!! This was the first recipe I tried from your site, which turned out to be a “gateway drug” so to speak ;) I’m hooked! Keep it up!!

2. The other reviewers recommended adding ginger and garlic. Nice addition, but not the same sauce.
    I had some bay scallops…hmm, those would go in here! I marinated with minced garlic and grated ginger, sir a cha, and sweet chili sauce with a splash of fish sauce….yum

• Forgot to include the details, d’oh! Sear marinated scallops with extra butter and those yummy hot red pepper flakes, remove to plate and then do the egg, dump back the scallops with the noodles and finish off with the sauce. YUM ME

3. Heather of DC says:

After making this recipe several times, I decided to to try it with spaghetti (avoiding a grocery run). It’s still delicious. I can’t really tell the difference! I think you may need to use a smidge more sauce this way. This is delicious with shrimp!

4. I’ve made this dish so often now that my roommates have started to give me a hard time about it.

It is just TOO dang good. Oh my lanta

5. Thestral says:

Delicious! I Didn’t think it was “burn a hole in your stomach” spicy, but then again I love spicy food. I didn’t have Cilantro or Green Onions so I used some vegetable furikake (Japanese rice seasoning) instead. Will be making this again :3

6. Used this recipe to make something out of nothing tonight – leftovers of leftovers! I had 1/2 box of fettucine, so I used that, sauteed 1/2 a white onion, 3 cloves garlic, and about 1 Tbsp fresh gingerroot in the butter before adding the red pepper flakes, then added the egg. For the sauce, I doubled the soy sauce and brown sugar (only put 1 Tbsp of sriracha though), and added 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter. At the end, I used 2 green onions and all the cilantro I had left that wasn’t dead, and added about 1/3 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts. I can’t believe I had everything to make this – we thought the cupboards were bare! Fabulous!

7. Sarah says:

This is one of my favorite recipes! I’ve shared this with so many people and everyone agrees that it’s delicious. I tend to add extra eggs and sometimes I will add left over meat, but it is amazing as written. There are nights when I get off of work pretty late and have little energy to cook. This is my go-to solution. Thanks!

8. Just made this for dinner and loved it! I used an extra egg for added protein and it was still balanced.

9. Loved this recipe! The first time I made it with an egg, second time substituted the egg/butter with some peanut butter and broccoli.

10. Heather says:

I love that your recipes don’t require much effort and are affordable. I had to decrease my grocery budget drastically, but these noodles really hit the spot.

In the future I would add more vegetables to make it a full meal.

11. Alexis says:

This is one of my favorite recipes. I make it for my husband on a regular basis. Last night, I baked chicken thighs in Dragon Noodle sauce and they were incredible. Also a cheap meal. :)

12. Linda L says:

I made this the other night & added cooked medium shrimp. I think this will be one of my favorite dishes! I love your recipes!

13. Soobin says:

This is a decent base recipe, but I think the ease of this dish sacrifices a lot of flavor and depth. The sauce needed more punch; it was pretty one-dimensional and uninteresting. Next time, I think I will try it by sauteing garlic and ginger in sesame oil before adding the other ingredients. Thanks for the base and the inspiration!

14. Bethany says:

We’ve made this twice and we really enjoyed it. We added crushed cashews the second time and really loved it.

15. Woah. Hot lips. I love that this was so quick to make and required so few ingredients. Need to go shopping, but actually had the ingredients on hand (well, fettuccine but no low mein) so finally thought I’d try it. Yum! Think I may sub nut-butter for some of the sriracha next time, maybe add whatever veg I’ve got on hand. Thanks!

16. Wow!! Just wow!!! This is AMAZING! I didn’t have any eggs so I sautéed broccoli, carrots and onions. There are so many variations you could do, the sauce though is what really pulls it all together! YUM!!

17. Sweta says:

I’ve seen this so many times on the sidebar and I’m kicking myself for taking so long to finally try it. It was amazing! I’ve made it several times now and added quite a few ingredients, but the sauce is irreplaceable, it makes the dish imo. My favorite additions to this recipe are shredded cabbage and carrots, tofu, ginger and garlic. This is the one dish where everyone in my family will gladly go back for thirds.

18. Erica says:

This is one of my favorites from this website! I eat it all the time. I usually use soba noodles. Recently I have tried it with zucchini “noodles”… amazing! You are right the noodles are just a vehicle for the other ingredients.

This has saved me several times when I’m hungry and almost about to order in chinese or thai. It takes about the same amount of effort as ordering in and is just as delicious! Thanks again!

19. This is a keeper! Cannot rave about this one enough….

20. Andrea Ceniceros says:

Amazing! Made it tonight for first time. My husband and I loved them. Will become a staple.

21. Shannon says:

I’m a big fan of anything with soy sauce & sriracha, so I had to give this recipe a try. I didn’t have lo mein noodles, brown sugar or cilantro, so I substituted wheat angel hair pasta & left off the sugar & cilantro. I added more egg & green onion, just because I like them & it was absolutely delish!

22. Natalie says:

Made this the other night for my boyfriend! Instead of egg, I cooked ground pork with fresh ginger. I also added baby bok choy at the end for a veggie. Garnished with green onions and lime, excellent!

23. Gail says:

Made this tonight for the first time and it was delicious! I only had fettuccine in the cupboard but they worked really well. Next time I’ll add more chilli flakes for extra bite.