Dragon Noodles

Ooooh lawdie. This is my new favorite quick fix! It takes about 15 minutes, is totally rich, flavorful, and SUPER SPICY. Like, “burn a hole through your stomach” spicy. Call me crazy, but sometimes I want that. No, I crave that.

So, this one goes out to all of you heat seekers!

The simple sauce for this recipe uses only pantry staples and perfectly balances sweet, salty, and spicy. The richness of the butter helps smooth everything out, cilantro adds a fresh note, and the green onions lend a savory back note. It all just works and it happens to be incredibly simple. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

I made a small two serving batch because I just wanted something quick and easy. You could easily scale this up, if needed. If you want a heartier dish, try using two eggs rather than just one. Also, I used two tablespoons of butter, which made for a very rich and delicious sauce, but I suspect that it would still be amazing if you cut the butter in half.

If you can’t find the same noodles that I used, don’t fret. You could make this with ramen type noodles or even regular linguine. The noodles are just the vehicle for all of the other yummy ingredients!

Dragon Noodles

Dragon Noodles

dragon noodles

• 4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
  • 2 Tbsp butter $0.20
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
  • 1 large egg $0.25
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
  • 1 Tbsp sriracha (rooster sauce) $0.08
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
  • 1 sliced green onion $0.06
  1. Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).
  2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
  3. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
  4. When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!

Dragon Noodles

Spicy Noodles

Lo Mein NoodlesThese are the noodles that I used, but you could use any other kind. Ramen or regular linguine would probably be good too. I used half of this 8 oz. pack for two servings. Cook the noodles according to the package directions.

make sauceWhile waiting for the pasta water to boil, mix up the sauce. Stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.

melt butterMelt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the crushed red pepper to the butter as it melts.

whisk eggWhisk the egg in a bowl…

scramble eggPour the whisked egg into the melted butter and gently stir until cooked. If the noodles are not done cooking yet, turn the heat off on the skillet so that the eggs don’t over cook.

add noodles, sauceWhen the noodles are finished cooking, drain the water off and then add them to the skillet along with the prepared hot sauce.

cilantro green onionsTurn the heat on to low to help evaporate excess moisture and stir everything to coat it in the sauce. Lastly, sprinkle the sliced green onion and cilantro leaves over top. I didn’t even bother to chop the cilantro. Deeeelish!

Dragon Noodles

1. Amber says:

yummy and affordable recipe :)
    however I found that it needs a little salt at the end

2. Megatron says:

Wow. Just cooked this and wow. So much better than I expected, its great! I generally don’t like spicy food, but this is just perfect! I couldn’t find sriracha so I used a ‘mexican’ hot sauce instead, its very delicious!

3. Demi says:

So very glad I found this recipe. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, but this was really easy to make, and it tastes fantastic. I used a little less sriracha (not too fond of spicy things!) and upped the brown sugar, but it still worked well. I’ll try adding chicken next time.

4. Heather Tierney says:

Made these a month ago and just now thought to leave a review — these are FANTASTIC. Noodles are my DD’s favorite thing on earth, and the girl is PICKY. Loves her sriracha and her cilantro, so I knew she’d love them. We only had angel hair pasta on hand, and that worked fine, but we finally made a trip to our rather inconvenient Asian market and stocked up on our favorite udon noodles. I’ll be making these later this week, probably adding some leftover roast chicken to make it a filling meal. (I plan to triple the recipe so I’ll have some leftovers to take to work the next day — but don’t tell my kid, or she’ll eat them all for breakfast!)

5. John says:

Ooooh lawdie. When deeze chilren gone learn not to make fun of minorities.

• That’s a commonly used expression here in New Orleans. Commonly use by all types of people.

• Heather Tierney says:

Beth M — agreed! The first time I read the recipe, I heard my grandma’s Southern voice. Just now when I read it, I heard the voice of Cajun chef Justin Wilson. (I still say “onyon” for “onion,” the way he did!)

6. Ryan Dupras says:

I made a modified version for people who are a little tender tongued like myself. I made a big batch of noodles, 16 oz, so I had to quadruple the recipe. I used 3 tbsp of oil instead of butter, and I added ginger and garlic instead of the crushed red pepper flakes. It’s pretty good, no lie :)

7. Kelsey says:

I made these noodles the other day for my significant other who LOVES all things spicy. It was a major hit! Not only was it inexpensive (awesome!) but it was also super easy to make and there were enough leftovers for the next day’s supper, or as Mario Batali says, to eat at midnight right out of the container with the illumination from the fridge. YUM!

8. Kathleen says:

I just made these: delicious! What a treat! Mine were a wee bit too oily; I put too much butter in and added sesame oil to the sauce. I think it was unnecessary. Overall amazing though! I used angel hair pasta b/c that’s all I had handy. I thought it worked out ok.

9. Thomas says:

Amazing dish. Rich in flavor, easy to cook and cheap. Instructions were easy to follow, even for a non native english speaker.
    Thanks!

10. Bree says:

This was AH-MAY-ZING! I made this for my mom and I, so I didn’t want to make it as spicy on her account. <3

I tripled the recipe, and instead of 3 TBSP Sriracha, I added 1 TBSP Sriracha, 1 TBSP Frank's Red Hot and 1 TBSP ginger-garlic paste. Then I added shrimp. We thoroughly enjoyed this, alongside some creamy homemade cole slaw and a cup of curried apple soup. it's all I can do to keep from going back into the kitchen for seconds. :-)

Thank you sooooo much for sharing!!!

11. Cierra says:

I’m in love with this recipe! Just made it and I Can’t stop eating it! I used soba noodles, added a dash of sesame oil to the sauce(which I quadrupled). Added chicken and shredded carrots with a squeeze of lime. Perfect perfect lunch! Thank you!

12. Melissa says:

Oh wow, I love this recipe. I have been making variations of this at least once a week. So fast, easy and so much flavor! Thank you :)

13. This sounds great. I want to make it this weekend. However, I want to add some meat to this, because I like meat. What would you recommend? chicken? pork? beef?

• I made a ground beef dish very similar to this for my cookbook. Just brown it in the skillet like I did the egg here, then add the sauce and noodles. But you could also stir fry a bit of chicken or pork instead.

• Barbara says:

I crumbled a slice of bacon over it; dragons taste like bacon, right?

Beth, this dish has come to mean so much to me when I come home from work, tired and hungry, and discover my teen-age sons have eaten everything in the house…

14. Needed some cozy comfort food for my roommate and I, because boys are mean. I used only 2 tablespoons of sriracha because I was in the mood for more mild, and added a TON of cilantro to balance it out. Even better topped with avocado. Cooked and cleaned up in less than 30 minutes. Devoured while binge watching New Girl. Thank you!

15. These noodles look delicious! But, why not save yourself a dish and use the hot noodles themselves to cook the egg?

• Alexis says:

As great as that sounds, not using another dish and all, I wouldn’t trust my noodles to be hot enough to cook the egg thoroughly. Call me paranoid but I like to enjoy my food without the thought of food poisoning (:

16. diane says:

This was amazing! I loved it and it is so cheap to make!

17. Laura says:

This is such a fantastic recipe. I find myself craving it often. I think it would also be a great recipe to have in college because it’s fast, easy, and satisfying (and cheap!). Thanks for sharing!

18. Estelle says:

I don’t know how many times I’ve made this in the past few months. This recipe is definitely a keeper. I make it from scratch when I planned for it in my meals plan or it’s an on-the-spot decision when I have leftover cooked pasta in the fridge.

I find it to be very versatile but the best version is the original one. The only thing I change is that I only add 1tsp sriracha because I’m wuss. The cilantro (fresh or frozen, not the powdered kind) adds amazing flavor and really rounds up the dish. Don’t leave it ou, guys. You’d be missing out!