herb roasted pork loin

Okay, if you haven’t quite honed your kitchen skills yet but you still need a recipe to impress, this is the recipe for you! This recipe is super easy and pretty much fool proof. Just mix up some herbs and oil, smear it on the pork, and throw it in the oven. The end. You probably want to get a meat thermometer to make sure it’s cooked through, but other than that, you’re home free.

Meat thermometers (like this one) can be found in the kitchen utensil aisle, near spatulas, potato mashers, whisks, and items like that. They’re usually only around $5 and they’ll save your butt. Pork needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. For more info about thermometers, internal cooking temperatures, and food safety, click here.

Anyway, back to this recipe… This is a basic herb rub that can be applied any number of meats. If you’re not into pork, try chicken breasts or even a beef roast. It’s simple yet oh so flavorful!

Also, pay attention to the wording on the pork loin when you’re shopping. Pork tenderloin is a smaller muscle than regular pork loin. It’s leaner, more tender, but also about twice as expensive. So, keep an eye out.

Herb Roasted Pork Loin

Herb Rubbed Pork Loin

herb roasted pork loin

• 1.33 lbs. pork loin $5.47
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.16
  • 1 tsp dried basil $0.05
  • 1 tsp dried thyme $0.05
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary $0.05
  • 10-15 cranks fresh cracked pepper $0.05
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.24
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the garlic, basil, thyme, rosemary, fresh cracked pepper, and salt in a small food processor, blender, or clean spice grinder. Pulse until the garlic is minced. In lieu of an appliance, the garlic can be minced by hand and the rosemary roughly chopped with a knife and then combined with the rest of the herbs and spices.
  2. Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to the herb mixture. Place the pork loin on a baking sheet covered with foil. Rub the oil and herb mix over the entire surface of the pork (including underneath).
  3. Roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Allow the pork loin to rest for ten minutes before slicing.

Herb Rubbed Pork LoinI garnished with a little fresh parsley because I had it on hand and it makes the pictures so pretty… but it’s definitely not necessary for flavor.

raw pork loinThis is the pork loin that I purchased. It was just enough for about four servings. This recipe would easily double if needed. In addition to checking whether or not you’re buying a pork tenderloin or regular loin, make sure it’s not preseasoned. Most pork loins sold in grocery stores today come already packed with herbs, spices, and some flavored marinade. You don’t want that.

mini chopperSo, I have this little mini-chopper that is perfect for small jobs like this, but you can also just do this by hand. The only things that really need to be chopped up are the garlic and the rosemary. The rest should already be in small pieces. Into the mini-chopper I added the garlic, basil, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.

choppedAfter a few pulses, everything is broken up into small pieces and very well mixed.

olive oilThen just add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

coat porkCoat the pork loin in the wonderfully flavorful herb and oil mix. Get a little underneath as well. Place this in a preheated 425 degree oven and let it cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. This should take anywhere between 35-45 minutes depending on your oven and how cold the pork loin was when it went in the oven.

roasted pork loinAnd when it’s done, it’s all pretty and delicious smelling…

thermometerUse your little meat thermometer to check the internal temp. Mine was a just a degree or two below 145, but it continued to creep up after I snapped the photo. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven before you slice it.

herb rubbed pork loinSit back and enjoy the incredibly delicious meal that you made with minimal effort!

1. Ooh, we just brought home a giant pork loin roast, this might just be how we have to cook it!

2. Yummm! Next time I get pork loin, I’m trying this =D

3. Looks delish! Just so you know, you actually linked to the amazon meat thermometer twice, instead of to an article about proper temps for meat for the second link :)

4. This sounds delicious, simple, and affordable! Triple win in my book :) My brother loves pork so I must try this out when I go grocery shopping this week.

5. Thanks, Jen!! It’s fixed now :)

6. I have grilled one with a similar rub, but used grated parmesan in place of the olive oil. Just wet the loin well before applying the rub to get it to stick. Good stuff!!

7. I have a recipe with the same kind of rub and I add a little onion to my little chopper and let the meat marinate for the day before grilling it. Yummm! Thanks!

8. Yummy!! This looks fantastic! I am keeping this recipe on hand for the next time I cook pork loin.

9. Looks delicious! I usually add crushed fennel seed to my pork rubs so I’m going to sub it in for the dried basil. Can’t wait to try!

10. Looks amazing! Not related, but have you ever made pesto? I just can’t seem to get it right!

11. Nope, I haven’t made pesto yet… but I WILL be planting herbs this spring and I intend to make some pesto :)

12. Despite your explicit warnings, I was in a rush at the grocery store and bought tenderloin instead, haha! Anyway, it turned out VERY delicious! Each of the herbs added a little something.

Definitely something I will make again (maybe next time with actual loin)!

pork loin is one of my favorites but I’ve never tried it “herbed” like this since the people I would invite over to share it don’t like rosemary (even though its my favorite). But this weekend I am so going to try it.

14. I make this recipe regularly and have for years – it’s a great one, and I highly recommend it. The only difference is I pan sear it first because it gives it a nice solid crunchy crust.

OMG Awesome recipe. I made it today and it was so delicious!

16. This looks so easy, and I like that you can reuse it with different meats to make completely different meals. I will definitely have to try it!

Also, I really enjoy the step-by-step pictures. I am such a visual person and the photos helps soo much!

I’ve been following your column and trying your recipes for so long but this is my first comment.
    First of all: THANK YOU! I wish you still lived in Charlotte so we could meet in person — I’m still there.
    And secondly, I made this for company on Sunday and it was the best thing I ever put in my mouth. I don’t care for basil, it tastes bitter to me especially the dried stuff, so I subbed in cardamom. Not in everybody’s budget, I realize, but OH. SO. GOOD. Next time I might try nutmeg instead. I’ve used nutmeg in the cornmeal and flour coating with herbs & spices that I put on pork tenderloin when I shallow pan-fry it and it comes out all crispy and flavorful. The warmth of the nutmeg just seems to bring out the sweetness of the pork for me. Trained Chef Miss Maura in Charlotte, NC

pesto is simple. and I am a klutz in the kitchen though this blog is boosting my confidence with every recipe. this will be number three and is smelling up my house right now. in a very good way…thanks a spicy ton for all your good work here.

19. Will says:

Do you have any tips on how to store/reheat leftovers for this? Just tupperware and microwave I would assume..

20. Will – That’s how I did it :)

I’m a newlywed and just discovered this blog. Thank you so much! I love it! I can’t wait to try these recipes! -Natalie

I make this at least once every two weeks. We freakin love it!

23. Deliciouso! :)

24. Deliciouso! :)

I tried this recipe with pork chops instead of a pork loin, mainly because my grocery store only carried pork tenderloins. Woah $$!! I was giddy at how simple and fast it was, along with my herb garden being put to use again (hello fresh parsley, rosemary and chives!).

It tasted absolutely delicious. Thanks for putting up such great recipe ideas that I’ve no choice *but* to try them at home – money and health savings. :)

I made this last night and it was great. My pork loin was like 4 lbs so it had to bake a bit longer but once cooked it was great!

27. Seth says:

This is great. I added a little Dijon, honey and chile flakes to the rub, and while the roast was resting I deglazed the roasting pan with some white wine to make a sauce. I also added the leftover rub and a little more dijon to the sauce.

One of the simplest most tasty recipes out there.

28. Made this for my boyfriend and mom’s birthdays and they LOVED it. Such a simple, foolproof recipe that turned out excellently! I served it with fettuccine alfredo and it was possibly the best meal I’ve ever made :)

29. Jaclyn says:

I made this with top round beef and did a London Broil type dish and it was WONDERFUL! So full of flavor.

30. scott says:

beth – this was great! another superb recipet

31. Gorgeous photos! I am going to try this recipe only with fresh herbs and allowing it to marinade over night. I hope it turns out as beautifully as yours!

32. I added a 1/4 teaspoon of smoked Paprika and 4-6 drops of liquid smoke sauce to the paste mixture. I decreased the oven temp to 400 degrees. It came out incredible!

33. Mary Pifer says:

awesome recipe, thanks so much for the details and I really like the pictures along the way of the recipe and how it should look!

34. Amanda says:

Beth- you are my culinary hero. This was absolutely delicious, and could not have been easier. Your recipes make me look good! :D

35. Melissa says:

Though the rub was delicious, I thought it turned out too dry with the pork loin. I used tenderloin the next time and it was sooo good! Worth the extra money!

36. Kelcy says:

I made this for dinner tonight with some roasted asparagus. It was amazing and so incredibly easy! I can’t wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)